Gwen Stefani= One HUGE Sellout

2»

Comments

• superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    She is on a TV show, singing her music.

Please stop with this hipster 'oh look, she is a pop star sell-out' business.

The word sellout needs to be thrown out. Seriouslly, why is it a BAD thing that your music sells well? If it is what you want to do, then who cares
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I don't know if she is a sellout but her solo music is pure shit...her first solo album was poppish and not so bad...I usually work out to it..but her new album is crap. She just should have stuck with No Doubt...did they bust up....but I don't think she's a sellout for appearing on AI.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    thats funny because her cover of It's My Life was one of her first solo singles.:D:)

I'm no fan of No Doubt, but that was a single from their Greatest Hits, not her solo.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I'm no fan of No Doubt, but that was a single from their Greatest Hits, not her solo.

and it was a cover
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    thats funny because her cover of It's My Life was one of her first solo singles.:D:)

Actually I think that was No Doubt cover wasn't it? I remember the band being in the video.
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Actually I think that was No Doubt cover wasn't it? I remember the band being in the video.

You're correct: It was a No Doubt cover.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    some of you need a serious reality check. if that was eddie vedder on there, you'd be raving about how awesome it was.

I'm pretty sure I'd be embarrassed of Eddie Vedder did something like that. And I'm embarrassed that Gwen Stefani has as well.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    pjalive21 wrote:
    ok i khow this seems a little out of place for me but i was browsing thru the tv and saw Stefani on American Idol...wait, hold on a second...did she really??? you mean the lead singer of the former No Doubt??? someone who used to jam with Brad Noel of Sublime....then again should this really suprise me since her solo career pretty much crapped all over all the "rock" stuff she did in the past...i used to like No Doubt believe it or not, i like the "Sublime-esque" sound and now look at her

ok just my weird, random rant for the night and sorry for the use of the word "sellout"

It's a good business move though. A lot of people saw her and she has a new tour coming up.

She looked and sounded adorable too. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    drivingrl wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I'd be embarrassed of Eddie Vedder did something like that. And I'm embarrassed that Gwen Stefani has as well.

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

you nailed it...anyone who liked No Doubt and the stuff they did can't be all to happy with her solo career and the crap she has put out ...look at the backlash Pearl Jam took for covering "Last Kiss" and how high it went on the charts, if this band did pop music all the time and totally changed their sound we would be all over this

i used the word "sellout" and i hate that word too but how else can you describe the crap that she has done

its not growing up? because who sings a song about "bananas"??? it about money and how much she can rake in
    justam wrote:
    It's a good business move though. A lot of people saw her and she has a new tour coming up.

She looked and sounded adorable too. :)

hey i dont doubt her look at all she has gotten hotter over the years...her looks are up and her music down!! haha

then again that is the music business for you
  • pjalive21 wrote:
    i used the word "sellout" and i hate that word too but how else can you describe the crap that she has done
    why is it crap? because YOU don't like it?
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    pjalive21 wrote:
    ok i khow this seems a little out of place for me but i was browsing thru the tv and saw Stefani on American Idol...wait, hold on a second...did she really??? you mean the lead singer of the former No Doubt??? someone who used to jam with Brad Noel of Sublime....then again should this really suprise me since her solo career pretty much crapped all over all the "rock" stuff she did in the past...i used to like No Doubt believe it or not, i like the "Sublime-esque" sound and now look at her

ok just my weird, random rant for the night and sorry for the use of the word "sellout"

You are just realizing this now? No Doubt stopped playing their instruments years ago. By the way, ska is dead.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    why is it crap? because YOU don't like it?

so you mean to tell me the stuff she puts out has substance??? come on really??? you would stick you neck out for the type of music she is putting out there...at least when people say they dont like PJ's music for example its because of Ed's voice or they didnt look past TEN, not because they didnt have substance and meaning to their music...sorry i probably took you away from your Gwen Stefani cd while you were reading my reply so i apologize in advance :)

and to the poster above me i know ska is a thing of the past put who knows what they could have done down the road together, evolved as a band...look at the band we are all here for Pearl Jam, they have evolved
  • stick my neck out for what? top 40 pop? you have to take it for what it is. i dont understand why people put down music because they don't like it. her music may not be earth shattering, but if people enjoy it, who cares? its fun, its fresh, and if it takes your mind off things for 50-60 minutes, i have no problem with it.

theres plenty of bands out there that i don't like but if people can have a good time listening to them, more power to 'em.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • I personally like Gwen's solo stuff and No Doubt. I think the new cd is fantastic. People who refer to music as having "substance" need a real reality check.

They act like Pearl Jam's music somehow brought an end to world hunger and the stuff in the top 40 turned its listeners into lobotomized, drooling fools.

I think Pearl Jam is the greatest band in the world. No question. I like them more than all other bands combined. I think the songwriting in songs like "Insignificance," and "Marker in the Sand" is a feat to behold. I hold Eddie and the guys in very high regard for that. But beyond that, it doesn't offer the world anything that Gwen's catchy if lyrically simpler "Sweet Escape" doesn't.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    stick my neck out for what? top 40 pop? you have to take it for what it is. i dont understand why people put down music because they don't like it. her music may not be earth shattering, but if people enjoy it, who cares? its fun, its fresh, and if it takes your mind off things for 50-60 minutes, i have no problem with it.

theres plenty of bands out there that i don't like but if people can have a good time listening to them, more power to 'em.

I completely agree with you.

However, in Gwen's case, she was in, what I thought, a kickass band that made some good music. Her solo stuff that I've heard makes me cringe. I don't even think it passes for fun or fresh. But yes that is my opinion and others may like the new Gwen. But the transition between cool Orange County girl to this glam-disco whatever you want to call it is quite severe. :(
  • GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,140
    she's a workin girl trying to make some cash i don't blame her she has a kid to feed now and i think her new album is pretty good and she looks hott as hell good lord gavin whatever his name is from bush is one lucky ass fella!!

Se has a kid AND a husband to feed now......
    Mexico City 17/7/2003 Mexico City 18/7/2003 Mexico City 19/7/2003 Santiago Chile 22/11/2005 Santiago Chile 23/11/2005 Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011 Santiago Chile 16/11/2011 Lima Perú 18/11/2011 Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013 Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013 Santiago Chile 06/5/2013 Santiago Chile 4/11/2015 Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015 Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015 Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015 Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015 Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015 Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015 Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015 Mexico City 28/11/2015 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016 Miami, FL 9/4/2016 Tampa, FL 11/4/2016 Santiago Chile 13/3/2018 Santiago Chile 16/3/2018 Rome Italy 26/6/2018 Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018 Krakow Poland 3/7/2018 Berlin Germany 5/7/2018 Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018 Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021 Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 Seattle, WA 28/05/2024 Seattle, WA 30/05/2024
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    That's what I'd be thinking if I was hittin' that..."damn, she really sold out"

:p
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I personally like Gwen's solo stuff and No Doubt. I think the new cd is fantastic. People who refer to music as having "substance" need a real reality check.

They act like Pearl Jam's music somehow brought an end to world hunger and the stuff in the top 40 turned its listeners into lobotomized, drooling fools.

I think Pearl Jam is the greatest band in the world. No question. I like them more than all other bands combined. I think the songwriting in songs like "Insignificance," and "Marker in the Sand" is a feat to behold. I hold Eddie and the guys in very high regard for that. But beyond that, it doesn't offer the world anything that Gwen's catchy if lyrically simpler "Sweet Escape" doesn't.

Pearl Jam might not bring an end to world hunger (Bono will do that), but at least they stand for something, and write music that explores themes beyond riches and bananas....there is a severe lack of music that means anything these days. You seem okay with that. Well, enjoy your shitty ass empty pop songs. When your daughters grow up emulating Paris Hilton, or Gwen Stephani (who used to have something to say but doesn't anymore) have fun trying to have a half intellectual conversation with them.

The reason some of us get pissed off is this: there is room for everything. There is a place for sugary pop songs. However, the scales have tipped heavily too the side of empty meaningless bubble gum pop. So the soulful music gets pushed aside like it doesn't matter.

Then you have someone who was an individual (Gwen Staffani), and seemed pretty intelligent. Now she seems about as smart as one of Britney Spears sagging tits.

No one would care about Gwen Steffani if there were Pearl Jam type bands coming out to grab our attention. But shittiness is being forced down everyone's throats. American Idol makes me ill.

Thank You.
  • She's a money grabbing bafoon. First she's doing rock then she changes to R&B becuase that's what sells at the moment. She's just in the buisness for the cash.
    S'cuse the shit name!
    Igottago wrote:
    Pearl Jam might not bring an end to world hunger (Bono will do that), but at least they stand for something, and write music that explores themes beyond riches and bananas....there is a severe lack of music that means anything these days. You seem okay with that. Well, enjoy your shitty ass empty pop songs. When your daughters grow up emulating Paris Hilton, or Gwen Stephani (who used to have something to say but doesn't anymore) have fun trying to have a half intellectual conversation with them.

The reason some of us get pissed off is this: there is room for everything. There is a place for sugary pop songs. However, the scales have tipped heavily too the side of empty meaningless bubble gum pop. So the soulful music gets pushed aside like it doesn't matter.

Then you have someone who was an individual (Gwen Staffani), and seemed pretty intelligent. Now she seems about as smart as one of Britney Spears sagging tits.

No one would care about Gwen Steffani if there were Pearl Jam type bands coming out to grab our attention. But shittiness is being forced down everyone's throats. American Idol makes me ill.

Thank You.

thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth...totally agree with all your points!!!!

why should we settle for obscurity with music? why are people content with this substanceless music, not just Stefani but the list can go on with all the EMO crap out there...im not just talking about Pearl Jam as the only band with something to say there are plenty of bands out there besides PJ, who dont get the opportunity to get heard because it wont sell or isnt commercial enough to make a damn dollar

i remember Gwen doing interviews when she was with No Doubt about not compromising who you are and all that garble and then she goes and does the total opposite...its just disappointing because Stefani HAD something to offer back in the day but now cant be taken seriously
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    stick my neck out for what? top 40 pop? you have to take it for what it is. i dont understand why people put down music because they don't like it. her music may not be earth shattering, but if people enjoy it, who cares? its fun, its fresh, and if it takes your mind off things for 50-60 minutes, i have no problem with it.

holy shit, it is like you posted what i was going to post.
    Igottago wrote:

Thank You.

how many different ways can you spell gwen stefani's name wrong in one post? three apparently.

if you don't like gwen stefani, turn the dial, turn off the radio, change the channel. same as american idol or grey's anatomy or wife swap. no one is forcing YOU to like these things, but obviously someone (or a damn lot of someones do) and who really gives a shit about it?

empty ass pop songs? without some of the pop artists from the 50s and 60s there would be no "soulful music" that you care so much about. i'm not comparing today top 40 stuff to that stuff, just saying be careful when lumping all pop together. you make it sound like a dirty word.

as for "scales," mine is tipped all the way to one side with things i like and always will be.

and as for little girls emmulating paris or britney or christina or gwen...that is different than popular teen-beat girls of the 80s and 90s....how? give me a break. everyone hits a certain point in their life when they grow up and turn into their own person.
    JSBE wrote:
    everyone hits a certain point in their life when they grow up and turn into their own person.

once again, this is the 2nd person to use that she grew up...when does singing about "bananas" and all the other nonesense that she sings about make her grown up???
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I really liked the song on her last album that went "tick tock, tick tock"..

Allot of pop music is shallow, but some of it is fun and noteworthy. People who act is disgust of it all are just miserable souls who lock themselves in their parents basement and hate life.
    pjalive21 wrote:
    once again, this is the 2nd person to use that she grew up...when does singing about "bananas" and all the other nonesense that she sings about make her grown up???

i wasn't talking about gwen, i was talking about people in general...
    JSBE wrote:
    i wasn't talking about gwen, i was talking about people in general...

oh sorry, i apologize :)
  • peepspeeps Posts: 79
    yes she's a sellout. i'd still bang her though :D
  • Igottago wrote:

Thank You.

Because music "stands for something" does that really mean it "matters?"

Music is entertainment. I don't feel the need to be constantly educated while I am being entertained. I like the way Pearl Jam is unrelenting in their beliefs. I have come on here time and time again to defend Eddie's rants on "Storytellers." I also like the lyrical complexity of artists such as them and U2. I hold them high above other artists.

But I don't have to defend them by constantly badmouthing something I don't like (even though I love Gwen Stefani's new cd). It isn't making this generation of girls any worse off than Elvis did to kids in the 1950's. Just because Pearl Jam's music is both intellectual and good, that doesn't make simpler music bad.

Personally, if I ever had kids (which my wife and I decided long ago we aren't), I think Britney Spears would have been a good role model. Girls can look at what a wreck she's become and see that is not how to live. Nature takes its course

Society survived Elvis' swinging hips, The Rolling Stones wanting to spend the night together and saying black girls just wanna get fucked all night,Twisted Sister not taking it anymore, NWA fucking tha police and it will survive the currrent poptarts, too.

And, I think it may be unfair to group a married family woman who happens to make pop music into a group of lowlife party skanks.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage