ban double albums

2»

Comments

• i agree on The Wall.

I had just listen to Broken and unconsciously put that title in there. I fixed the mistake ;)
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

The Tie-Dye Lady is HOT!!!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I had just listen to Broken and unconsciously put that title in there. I fixed the mistake ;)
    i caught that!! no problem.
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Wilco's Being There is an example of double-cd that turned out to be worth it.

I can't think of many more.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    hip hop is especially bad for this. it seems every hip hop artist feels the needs to release a double album once they hit big and it is almost always a flop.
    There's 95% of the problem right there.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    I'll second Goodbye Yellow Brick Road...great double album

and Eagles Live was the 1st cd I ever owned...I've got that one memorized...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • It's not a very popular album, but Eels' Blinking Lights and Other Relevations was a very good double album to my ears. I also hold Mellon Collie, The Wall and The White Album in high regards. I totally understand the point you're trying to make though, Stadium Arcadium and In Your Honor were awful double albums and probably would've been average single albums.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • wcsmith wrote:
    I'll second Goodbye Yellow Brick Road...great double album

Absolutley. Elton's masterpiece. Not a bad track on it.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    rhinomagic wrote:

being there, even with 2 versions of outta site outta mind, is short enough to fit on one disc.
    rhinomagic wrote:

Led Zeppelin had a little double album titled "Physical Graffiti"....it were'nt too bad. ;):D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    let's face it, they almost always suck and are half full of filler. plus, they put them in those double-wide cases that are annoyingly bulky and take up valuable space on my shelf. it's always an indulgence in ego and would always have sounded better as a single album with a little discpline. hip hop is especially bad for this. it seems every hip hop artist feels the needs to release a double album once they hit big and it is almost always a flop.

the only exceptions:

1. compilations:
    whether it's a greatest hits or assembly of b-sides, if you're rounding up material from an artist's entire career, odds are good you can find enough decent material for 2 discs.

2. multiple songwriters:
    this one is a maybe. but exceptinos can be made in the event you have multiple creative forces contributing material, as they might be able to compile enough good material to warrant the extra disc. examples... wu tang forever and the white album. granted, both had filler. but both also had a lot of contributing artists and enough good material to fill more than one disc.

Quadrophenia says 'fuck you.'
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    ii44 wrote:
    Quadrophenia says 'fuck you.'

So does Blonde on Blonde and Songs in the Key of Life.

How about Joe Jacksons Big World? That was originally released as a 3 sided album. Is that a double album, or a 1.5?
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    tybird wrote:
    Led Zeppelin had a little double album titled "Physical Graffiti"....it were'nt too bad. ;):D

Ty - Neither of us caught it, but how about the DBT's Southern Rock Opera. That's a hell of an double album, and there isn't much filler in there.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • The first successful double album that came to my mind was The Smashing Pumpkin's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (Dawn to Dusk and Twilight to Starlight).
    Austin City Limits - Oct 04, 2009
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I think a lot of bands try to follow Zeppelin, Dylan etc. and they turn out to be rubbish (i.e foo fighters).
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • I don't know....The Beatles White Album and Pink Floyd's The Wall are pretty damn good double albums.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • The Fragile was a double album that didn't need to be. I love a lot of the songs on "left" side, but I could honestly do without some of "right" side. Just a lot of self indulgence on Trent's part. It's no accident that it stands as the poorest selling NIN album to this day. I could be wrong, but I think it was Bob Ezrin who suggested a double CD.

So yes, I agree with the initial post. Double albums for the most part are unnecessary and ego driven IMO. An artist may get it's rabid fanbase to buy into it, but they're crazy if they expect the general audience to pay $25 for a bloated, mediocre filled CD.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Physical Graffitti
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Don't forget live albums.:)

I wanted to say that, thinking about Weld and Year of the Horse :)
    I don't know....The Beatles White Album and Pink Floyd's The Wall are pretty damn good double albums.

and I say "jay" to that too!
    I don't want to be the fool that's behind me but I am...

I'll Hold The Pain... Release...

Yourself
    merkinball wrote:
    Ty - Neither of us caught it, but how about the DBT's Southern Rock Opera. That's a hell of an double album, and there isn't much filler in there.
    Damn Straight......maybe one song is a filler, and it is deleted from the vinyl. "Moved."
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    godspeed you black emperor - lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven

.....clocks in at approx. 90 minutes and every single one of them is inspired and essential - incredible double album!!!!

EDIT: forgot The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs......a classic triple album
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Stadium Arcadium (RHCP) sucks. I still haven't found more than 5 good songs. It's a shame but since Californication they just repeat themselves and have become pathetic sellouts...

In Your Honor (FF) Second Disc is just shit, boring, dull, mannered and uninspired. However after TINLTL they lost their way for success by all means.

Mellon Collie... (SP) - quite great but there are at least 7 weak fillers that are far from Siamese Fream/Gish qualities.

The Wall (PF) - great but could have been a lot better.

The Fragile (NIN) - it's toooooo long and I must always skip 5-6 songs especially on right side.

Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me (The Cure) - great record, I like it but it's definitely NOT Disintegration...

funny

but

Still Lost Dogs is my fav double album in spite of the fact it's not a proper album but a collection of rarities...LOL:D
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Todd76 wrote:

.....clocks in at approx. 90 minutes and every single one of them is inspired and essential - incredible double album!!!!
    I was just about to post that. If that album was a second shorter, never mind a disc, I'd feel bereft.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    The Fragile was a double album that didn't need to be. I love a lot of the songs on "left" side, but I could honestly do without some of "right" side. Just a lot of self indulgence on Trent's part. It's no accident that it stands as the poorest selling NIN album to this day. I could be wrong, but I think it was Bob Ezrin who suggested a double CD.

So yes, I agree with the initial post. Double albums for the most part are unnecessary and ego driven IMO. An artist may get it's rabid fanbase to buy into it, but they're crazy if they expect the general audience to pay $25 for a bloated, mediocre filled CD.
    i always thought alot of it had to do with NIN's long absence from the music scene. all we had between The Downward Spiral was Further Down The Spiral which was ...what it was, the Lost Highway soundtrack (3 tracks), Natural Born Killers (1 song) and the Crow soundtrack (1 song). oh, and "I'm Afraid Of Americans" by Bowie. i do think The Fragile was a tad self indulgent but at that point i was psyched to get any new music from the man... a double album was met with open arms.
  • I'm pretty sure that All Eyez on Me kicked ass from start to finish. Except for "What's your phone number?" That song is horrible.

Of course not everyone is down with 2Pac.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Yeah, lets ban double albums, and ban long songs too, nothing over 3 mins, an guitar solos, ban songs with too many guitar overdubs on em too, and no distortion, cripes, whqt is the world coming to ?

And while we are banning shit, lets do it in style, dress up in some jackboots wiht a groovy littel peaked cap and grow a nice little mo.
    Then, when we are smashing those crap albums, we can break some long-haired yobs heads too, and burn some books into the bargain, makes nice light for the photos of us, in our swanky uniforms with those neat little secret signs on them, you know, those swastika things.

Musical experimentation and introspection is just not on. Anyone who is making music for theiur own sake and not for commercial recognition or succes is not a sell-out, and has no place in the modern world.
    Um, hang, I thought we hated sell-out and only loved people who did stuff for themselves and the fans ?? Ah, never mind, we'll sort that conundrum out after we finish bashing all the yob musos that dared do anything remotely like anything we don't like.
    It's our musical taste they should all be pandering to , dontcha know ???
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Todd76 wrote:

I almost thought nobody was going to mention this. Shame it wasn't until the fourth page that it showed up.
    I discovered the secret of life, but forgot to write it down.
  • I almost thought nobody was going to mention this. Shame it wasn't until the fourth page that it showed up.

Fantastic album! I would also mention:

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
    Can - Tago Mago
    the needle & the damage done