ban double albums

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
edited February 2008 in Other Music
let's face it, they almost always suck and are half full of filler. plus, they put them in those double-wide cases that are annoyingly bulky and take up valuable space on my shelf. it's always an indulgence in ego and would always have sounded better as a single album with a little discpline. hip hop is especially bad for this. it seems every hip hop artist feels the needs to release a double album once they hit big and it is almost always a flop.

the only exceptions:

1. compilations:
whether it's a greatest hits or assembly of b-sides, if you're rounding up material from an artist's entire career, odds are good you can find enough decent material for 2 discs.

2. multiple songwriters:
this one is a maybe. but exceptinos can be made in the event you have multiple creative forces contributing material, as they might be able to compile enough good material to warrant the extra disc. examples... wu tang forever and the white album. granted, both had filler. but both also had a lot of contributing artists and enough good material to fill more than one disc.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Don't forget live albums.:)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I agree. I'd ban hour-long CDs, too. Aim for 35-40 minutes of quality.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    the problem is that a double "album" holds like what maybe 2 hours whereas a double "cd" holds 3+ hours so bands are just filling up cd's with useless poorly executed songs....once again, vinyl wins....;) :)
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    I agree. I'd ban hour-long CDs, too. Aim for 35-40 minutes of quality.
    i enjoyed system of a down, hypnotize mezmorize, but i guess they were released on diff days, but u can put the cases like a double cd,.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Don't forget live albums.:)

shit, right. meant to include that one. if you're releasing a live concert that spans 2-discs, that's ok too.
  • Bruce Springsteen released two albums on the same day, once, and each was a steaming dog turd.
    cutback wrote:
    the problem is that a double "album" holds like what maybe 2 hours whereas a double "cd" holds 3+ hours so bands are just filling up cd's with useless poorly executed songs....once again, vinyl wins....;) :)

i thought it was more like 90 minutes for vinyl and 2 hours and 45 minutes for cd? a cd is 80 minutes, 2 would be 160, or 2 hours 40 minutes. either way, a double record is a lot less demanding and doable. double cd's are almost always excessive.
  • If you happen to be the Red Hot Chili Peppers or the Foo Fighters, I whole heartedly agree.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i thought it was more like 90 minutes for vinyl and 2 hours and 45 minutes for cd? a cd is 80 minutes, 2 would be 160, or 2 hours 40 minutes. either way, a double record is a lot less demanding and doable. double cd's are almost always excessive.

shit i'm talking out my ass about how long they are....i was just agreeing with you and pledging my allegiance to vinyl...:)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    when's Pearl Jam releasing their double album?
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    "I'm not a big one for 'Well, maybe it was too many of those...' Whaddya mean? It's great, it sold, it's the bloody Beatles' White Album! Shut up!"
    Paul McCartney
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    "I'm not a big one for 'Well, maybe it was too many of those...' Whaddya mean? It's great, it sold, it's the bloody Beatles' White Album! Shut up!"
    Paul McCartney

He would defend that position, though. He knows, if we were cleaning up that album, his songs would be the first to go. :D
    He would defend that position, though. He knows, if we were cleaning up that album, his songs would be the first to go. :D

havent we been over this recently ;)

but you and i know both know that its the White Album... it is what it it is.. life would be different if it were scraped down to an 'album'... like time travellers standing on a ant... its life altering ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    cutback wrote:
    shit i'm talking out my ass about how long they are....i was just agreeing with you and pledging my allegiance to vinyl...:)

i figured. not sure why the exact times were so important to me ;) anyway, 2 cd's=too much time to fill. i dont own vinyl, but whatever works for you!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Mellon Collie is the only great one that I can think of. I think the White Album is one of the worst Beatles albums, an unbelievable amount of filler and it is an early sign that the members are all way better off working together rather than on their own.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    dunkman wrote:
    but you and i know both know that its the White Album... it is what it it is.. life would be different if it were scraped down to an 'album'... like time travellers standing on a ant... its life altering ;)

the white album was exempted by the fact of its having multiple songwriters to support its length. plus it was released on vinyl, so instead of being packed to the max with shit, it's just a few songs over fitting on one cd. as opposed to bands that try to put 60 minutes on each cd, each disc of the white album is about 45 minutes.

pearl jam would be exempted under the same exception. they have 5 songwriters, so im sure they could produce enough deent material for a double.
  • Ben Harper's Both Sides Of The Gun was an excellent double album. I think it works because he didn't over-do it, just 9 songs on each disc. As opposed to Stadium Arcadium's 28 songs, most of which were shitbags!
  • dunkman wrote:

You're fucking Lee Majors? :D
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Mellon Collie is the only great one that I can think of. I think the White Album is one of the worst Beatles albums, an unbelievable amount of filler and it is an early sign that the members are all way better off working together rather than on their own.
    The White Album was more of a rarities album really. Sure it had lots of filler, but they were fun! I'd count B sides and rarities as one of the exceptions.

Double albums are all rubbish (exc. exceptions). It's a sign of poor editing skills. About the only 'double album' I like is I'm Wide Awake It's Morning/Digital Ash in a Digital Urn by Bright Eyes, but that doesn't really count since they are separate albums released at the same time.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    what about the wall? toss it out? goodbye yellow brick road? frampton comes alive? something/anything?
    You're fucking Lee Majors? :D

darn tootin i am :D
    brain of c wrote:
    what about the wall? toss it out? goodbye yellow brick road? frampton comes alive? something/anything?

frampton is a live album. exemtped. not sure about the wall. i think pink floyd had multiple songwriters. plus i might make an exception for compelling artistic vision. the wall and quadrophnia were 1) designed for vinyl, so a double album doesn't strain material as much as a double cd and 2) had a specific concept/story arc that helps weaker tracks seem more palatable.

compare that to recent albums from RHCP and foo fighters, or Notorious BIG. they attempted to fill 2 cd's for no apparent reason and the result was a lot of weak material with no apparent vision to unify it.

so maybe we can adopt another exception here. one that grants greater deference to vinyl over cd becos of the comparative demands on material to supoprt such a project, and one that gives merit for a strong artistic statement or concept that spills over 2 discs.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    fowls wrote:
    The White Album was more of a rarities album really. Sure it had lots of filler, but they were fun! I'd count B sides and rarities as one of the exceptions.

Double albums are all rubbish (exc. exceptions). It's a sign of poor editing skills. About the only 'double album' I like is I'm Wide Awake It's Morning/Digital Ash in a Digital Urn by Bright Eyes, but that doesn't really count since they are separate albums released at the same time.

To call The White Album the best Beatles album and one of the best of all time is just outrageous though.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I love Mellon Collie but there is some filler which could have been trimmed. Same can be said for The Wall.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    97% of The Wall was written by Roger Waters.

wasn't Umaguma a double record?

i think NIN's The Fragile blows away Mellon Collie. there is some filler on The Fragile though.

wasn't there a Clash record after London Calling that was something like 4-5 LPs long?
  • 97% of The Wall was written by Roger Waters.

wasn't Umaguma a double record?

i think NIN's The Fragile blows away Mellon Collie. there is some filler on The Fragile though.

wasn't there a Clash record after London Calling that was something like 4-5 LPs long?

It is a collection of Bs and singles and the likes. So it is a compolation rather then 100% origianal if i recall correctly.

As for the Wall I do not think the story would make much since if you cut parts out to shorten it.

Mellon Collie and Fragial are fantastic but both do have a bit of filler.
    I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

The Tie-Dye Lady is HOT!!!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    It is a collection of Bs and singles and the likes. So it is a compolation rather then 100% origianal if i recall correctly.

As for the Wall I do not think the story would make much since if you cut parts out to shorten it.

Mellon Collie and Fragial are fantastic but both do have a bit of filler.
    i agree on The Wall.
    The Wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you simply can't compress an ego that size into a single album ... the Wall has sold many millions of copies.. so shut up ;)
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    To call The White Album the best Beatles album and one of the best of all time is just outrageous though.
    Indeed, but a lot of music fans are blinded.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen