who's getting the new beatles album?

2»

Comments

• kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    anthology 3 will always be my fave ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Mojopin wrote:
    I'm PRAYING this is a fore-bearer to the albums themselves getting that treatment...

i'd cream myself if that happens
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Dr. J wrote:
    you can listen to the full album over at http://music.aol.com/songs/new_releases_full_cds
    I have been listening to free albums since then, gave me a real good idea of which ones to buy. You rock.
    muchos grassyass
    :D
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Mojopin wrote:
    Had to pick my jaw up off the floor from the first 5.1 version of these songs that they've ever put out. I'm PRAYING this is a fore-bearer to the albums themselves getting that treatment...

Really fantastic.

Mojo

nice!
    i love when long loved songs can feel fresh and new again...and what's not to love about a beatles tune? :p damn, i alreayd own just about all their albums, if they remaster them all...yikes! :D i think it is more and more likely that i will pick this up. :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Well, I've now heard it, and while I applaud the studio technology, in seamlessly mixing tracks and cross-planting sounds from different songs onto one, I dunno ... some of the songs stop being about anything, in terms of their lyrical theme, when you cut them and splice them together, like that. The songs that work best are the ones where there's the least trickery going on (and just some nice remixing), such as Something.
  • Well, I've now heard it, and while I applaud the studio technology, in seamlessly mixing tracks and cross-planting sounds from different songs onto one, I dunno ... some of the songs stop being about anything, in terms of their lyrical theme, when you cut them and splice them together, like that. The songs that work best are the ones where there's the least trickery going on (and just some nice remixing), such as Something.
    yeah i dont know if I like the trickery either but overall it was a good showing
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009

so then, on this assessment...do you enjoy it overall or not? is it something you would want part of your beatles collection or you'd rather forgo it? i haven't listened to it at all online yet, haven't picked it up...but i definitely am interested in your opinion on it as i know you are a serious beatles, and hendrix fan, and you have a lot of knowledge to back it up too...so i value your thoughts about either. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    They played a bunch of it on the local radio morning show....it sounded pretty good, i must say.
  • so then, on this assessment...do you enjoy it overall or not? is it something you would want part of your beatles collection or you'd rather forgo it? i haven't listened to it at all online yet, haven't picked it up...but i definitely am interested in your opinion on it as i know you are a serious beatles, and hendrix fan, and you have a lot of knowledge to back it up too...so i value your thoughts about either. :)

Um, it's worth hearing, but I wouldn't buy it. It's pretty inventive with the material, but I would rather hear some state of the art remasters and alternate mixes of the material. In other words, more Anthology type-stuff, What I'd also love to see, one day, is a site where the songs are streamed, but you can play with a virtual mixing desk and get your own sound. For example, say there's a stream of Strawberry Fields Forever: for example, you could rearrange the mix of instruments, or just hear the vocals ... that'd be good!
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I am listening to it in it's entirety for the first time right now......and I do really like it.

I think though I like Let It Be Naked better.....

I may still pick this up though.

:)
  • Um, it's worth hearing, but I wouldn't buy it. It's pretty inventive with the material, but I would rather hear some state of the art remasters and alternate mixes of the material. In other words, more Anthology type-stuff, What I'd also love to see, one day, is a site where the songs are streamed, but you can play with a virtual mixing desk and get your own sound. For example, say there's a stream of Strawberry Fields Forever: for example, you could rearrange the mix of instruments, or just hear the vocals ... that'd be good!

thanks for the summation fins,much appreciated. :)
    i see what you're saying absolutely. interesting idea for streaming site too, kinda cool. :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    uhhhhh... the 5.1 listening experience this provides, and subsequent fan-reaction there-of, is more worth it than anything else coming out this week. For sure.

I'll admit I'm being selfish in wanting them to release all of their albums in 5.1, and therefore believeing this is a fore-bearer of them doing that. But even if they didn't, these songs in 5.1 are '>' than anything coming out this week and virtually anything else that came out this year....

If you want to just brush it off like its nothing, I think you're wrong. I don't care how long you profess being a Beatles fan. I dare you to argue the worth of these songs being presented in 5.1 for the first time ever. I don't care if you don't care for the mix...

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Damn Straight Mojopin. The 5.1 mix is amazing, one of the best I've heard. Amazingly clear, and engineered very well. This is what happens when you get someone who knows and loves the music to mix the surround version. It's similar to the Grateful Dead's Workingmans Dead or American Beauty, or the Flaming Lips DVD's. I'd love to see the rest of the catalog (or at least everything from Rubber Soul onwards) mixed in surround.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • I got this for my fiance, and last night we sat there and listened to it beginning to end, and I was very impressed, not just with the excellent 5.1 mix, which EXPLODED on our speakers, but with the mixing itself. Nothing will ever change the originals, we will always have them, what's so wrong with this? It was done by George Martin, endorsed by the remaining Beatles, and is totally in spirit with the source material.
    To me, this is the most exciting Beatles event since the Anthology back in the mid-nineties. A really great record, that I would personally recommend to any fan of the Beatles.
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!