The Arcade Fire (sorta) slams U2, The Stones, and Oasis

2»

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    brhf9 wrote:
    "I cringe to ever write this post, as if It needs to be said, but some people seem to not have figured out that the NME has never printed an article that doesn't take all the quotes out of context, and put some things in bold that make it seem like people are talking shit about each other!!!
    So please no oasis hate mail, I really don't care...
    Marketing is not evil, just trying to express some distaste for the whole shitstorm, but we are still dancing!
    we are about 3 steps from WWIII, but life is too short!

George Orwell wrote an essay called "Why I write", if you are a writer or musician, I really reccomend picking it up...
    my favorite quote
    "no book is genuinely free from political bias. The opinion that art should have nothing to do with politics is itself a political attitude."
    also this little passage from a poem he wrote as a young man...

"But girls' bellies and apricots,
    Roach in a shadedstream,
    Horses, ducks in flight at dawn,
    All these are a dream.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;
    Horses are made of chromium steel
    And little fat men shall ride them"

see you waving from the tv!
    we have a cameo in a skit!
    hi mom!

luv
    win"

cool thanks for sharing that.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    As soon as I read that this quote was taken from the NME I completely ignored/discounted it - not a very reliable source
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    NickyNooch wrote:
    In 10 years I'm sure we'll be talking about the Arcade Fire and no one will remember who the rolling stones are.

Sarcasm.

who said they were better than the stones? and who even said pearl jam was?
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Jerzdevil wrote:
    It sounds to me that the guy from Arcade Fire meant that people get bands constantly shoved down their throats, not necessarily that U2, Oasis, or the Rolling Stones are bad bands. I agree to an extent with him. Often, when a person criticizes bands like those mentioned above or others like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, etc., people get almost offended by it. The media and many music fans continuously tell us how great those bands are and many people like them to be part of the crowd or are simply scared to not like them for fear of criticism. People fall in line with the prevailing musical opinions regarding the "classic" bands without thinking for themselves about what they truly enjoy. This can be said also of many underground or indie bands; it's not just limited to classic rock.

i dont know about that... it seems much cooler and "in" to hate oasis and u2 than to like them.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    brhf9 wrote:
    "I cringe to ever write this post, as if It needs to be said, but some people seem to not have figured out that the NME has never printed an article that doesn't take all the quotes out of context, and put some things in bold that make it seem like people are talking shit about each other!!!
    So please no oasis hate mail, I really don't care...
    Marketing is not evil, just trying to express some distaste for the whole shitstorm, but we are still dancing!
    we are about 3 steps from WWIII, but life is too short!

George Orwell wrote an essay called "Why I write", if you are a writer or musician, I really reccomend picking it up...
    my favorite quote
    "no book is genuinely free from political bias. The opinion that art should have nothing to do with politics is itself a political attitude."
    also this little passage from a poem he wrote as a young man...

"But girls' bellies and apricots,
    Roach in a shadedstream,
    Horses, ducks in flight at dawn,
    All these are a dream.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;
    Horses are made of chromium steel
    And little fat men shall ride them"

see you waving from the tv!
    we have a cameo in a skit!
    hi mom!

luv
    win"

what is this supposed to mean except that you shouldnt write letters to fans on lsd? ;)
  • bharQ wrote:
    who said they were better than the stones? and who even said pearl jam was?

They were slamming the stones. Kinda the whole point of this thread.

Pearl Jam has always had nothing but respect for the stones and those important to rock history, so the Pearl Jam to Arcade Fire reference is irrelevant.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA