The Arcade Fire (sorta) slams U2, The Stones, and Oasis

aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 2,026
edited February 2007 in Other Music
http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/40135592

I find this ironic since Bono is a huge fan and was trying to shove The Arcade Fire down everyone's throat during the last tour by playing their song before hitting the stage. Maybe that's what instigated these feelings.

Whatever the case, I don't disagree with their comments one bit.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    his comments are slightly off-base I think. maybe it is different in the UK. In terms of marketing, I'm not sure I could tell you the name of the most recent Oasis album (and I'm a fan of the band). I'm also not sure what he is referring to with the Stones.
    U2 however is more of Bono marketing Bono, and not the band marketing themselves. in the last ten or more years U2 has become less about the music and much more about Bono "saving humanity"
    As for Arcade Fire, never got that into them (mostly for lack of trying). Have heard they are tremendous live though.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Hmm. Well hind sight is 20/20 but maybe he could have made his point with out name dropping bands.

I agree with the idea that it is more bono marketing bono not U2. I guess Bono does it becasue he feels he uses that leverage to help causes he believes in which i don't have a problem with.

From a marketing standpoint Win kind of helped himself out by name dropping right before his album comes out. I know he did not mean to, but if he just made a statement and left the band names out no one except those who read pitchfork and who visit the band website would have heard about it.

This does not change my opinion of them being one of the best bands i've heard in a long time :) and it won't stop me from gettin tickets to see them again at 10 am on the dot tomorrow :) and i'll be there on the 6th to pick up neon bible :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • StellyStelly Posts: 170
    So, bands with no ambition should be rewarded?!

That doesn't make much sense.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Disclaimer: I haven't really listened to the Arcade Fire, so I can't really comment on their music. That said,

When they write a song half as good as Gimme Shelter or Sunday Bloody Sunday, then they can talk shit. I don't see it happening. The Stones and U2 may do a lot of marketing, but they are where they are today because they have made classic music.
  • well, AF can deal with their music the way they choose, and u2, the rolling stones, and oasis can deal with their music the way they see fit...why talk shit about that? i think that's ridiculous.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    As far as I'm concerned AF can say what they like Funeral and Neon Bible are absolutely stunning pieces of work. U2 suck anyway hehe
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Can't say I disagree with him... their new album kicks ass btw..
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • I don't think Oasis market themselves to a massive degree, they do think they are the best band around but so does everyone else. Those three bands market themselves to a greater degree than the Arcade Fire but their "product" is also the type of music that appeals to a wider range of people. The Arcade Fire are band with some good tunes but they'll never write songs that will have the lasting impact that "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Wonderwall", or "Satisfication" have had. How many people would know of the Arcade Fire if it wasen't for U2 playing "Wake Up" before each show? Show some gratitude.....
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • I don't think Oasis market themselves to a massive degree, they do think they are the best band around but so does everyone else. Those three bands market themselves to a greater degree than the Arcade Fire but their "product" is also the type of music that appeals to a wider range of people. The Arcade Fire are band with some good tunes but they'll never write songs that will have the lasting impact that "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Wonderwall", or "Satisfication" have had. How many people would know of the Arcade Fire if it wasen't for U2 playing "Wake Up" before each show? Show some gratitude.....

Yeah, but I guess it's a case of integrity. I totally see where the guy is coming from, particularly with U2. A new U2 record is always advertised by Bono doing as much charity arse-licking as possible. I mean I like U2 as much as the next person, but I find these days I can't think of a U2 song without thinking of Bono protesting against something or the other. Sometimes it would be nice to just enjoy the music.

The thing is, these bands were originally known for writing quality music, now it just seems to be about who can play the biggest show rather than who can contribute something meaningful to music.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Disclaimer: I haven't really listened to the Arcade Fire, so I can't really comment on their music. That said,

When they write a song half as good as Gimme Shelter or Sunday Bloody Sunday, then they can talk shit. I don't see it happening. The Stones and U2 may do a lot of marketing, but they are where they are today because they have made classic music.

I'd take half of the songs from Funeral and half of the songs from Neon Bible over just about anything U2 has ever done. I love U2's earlier music but hate what they've now become. However, none of that earlier music can hold a candle to the originality, emotion, and musical brilliance that the Arcade Fire puts forth. They really are one of the most important bands making music right now.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    And by the way, I agree with him to an extent about the over-commericialization of music. It's great to be successful, but when that involves ramming your music down people's throats on a continual basis, when it involves charging outrageous fees for tickets, when it involves plastering your face all over the media, I think you've gone too far.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • I do agree that Bono can become annoying and it is hard to seperate his charity work from the music. However how many people will remember The Aracade Fire in 20 years time? The other three bands however will go down in history......
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • I do agree that Bono can become annoying and it is hard to seperate his charity work from the music. However how many people will remember The Aracade Fire in 20 years time? The other three bands however will go down in history......

who knows. I agree Arcade Fire will have to come out with something pretty commercial to be remembered by, I guess time will tell.
  • I just find it a bit perplexing as to why he would be slagging off Bono. U2 pushing them at their concerts was the best promotion that The Arcade Fire could ever dream of. What does U2 get in return? They are slagged off as a bunch of sell-outs who market their music too aggressively. It doesn't matter how hard you market your music, you still have to have the type of music that will appeal to a wide range of people.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I don't think Oasis market themselves to a massive degree, they do think they are the best band around but so does everyone else. Those three bands market themselves to a greater degree than the Arcade Fire but their "product" is also the type of music that appeals to a wider range of people. The Arcade Fire are band with some good tunes but they'll never write songs that will have the lasting impact that "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Wonderwall", or "Satisfication" have had. How many people would know of the Arcade Fire if it wasen't for U2 playing "Wake Up" before each show? Show some gratitude.....

i'd know who they are. thanks JJJ. :)
    i can't even remember what U2 songs U2 played and i was at their concert. let alone what uppity indie band they chose to promote.

and what does he call what he's doing then. he's trying to convince the indie kids that promotion is the devil's tool. and that promtotion negates talent. admittedly it sometimes does, but not always.win butler just sounds like a whiney boy. you sure he's not emo?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    intodeep wrote:
    From a marketing standpoint Win kind of helped himself out by name dropping right before his album comes out. I know he did not mean to, but if he just made a statement and left the band names out no one except those who read pitchfork and who visit the band website would have heard about it.

kinda what i thought ;)
  • kinda what i thought ;)

marketing?

since when does a band carry around a cello, violin, and megaphone...in a fucking lobby?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G8QYnxIjHWg

convenient

and, i LOVE arcade fire...LOVE THEM!
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • marketing?

since when does a band carry around a cello, violin, and megaphone...in a fucking lobby?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G8QYnxIjHWg

convenient

and, i LOVE arcade fire...LOVE THEM!

What a great video!

Tickets for the DC show go onsale this weekend!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • pjrvmpjrvm Posts: 99
    Maybe this article was Arcade Fire's attempt at marketing Arcade Fire. or maybe I just blew your mind?

whatever their intention, it got us.... all 15 of us.... talking about them
    pjrvm wrote:
    Maybe this article was Arcade Fire's attempt at marketing Arcade Fire. or maybe I just blew your mind?

whatever their intention, it got us.... all 15 of us.... talking about them

yeah but they've been on my mind since i woke up cuase my radio station is playing their new album as their album of the week. and tomorrow they're playing it in its entirety.
    so if i hadn't have listened to the radio this morning i wouldn't have bothered to reply to this thread.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    haha very clever marketing ploy by arcade fire

"let us dish 2 of the biggest bands in rock history, and see what happens"

i'll say it again...clever marketing - ironical isn't it
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    glasshouse wrote:
    haha very clever marketing ploy by arcade fire

"let us dish 2 of the biggest bands in rock history, and see what happens"

i'll say it again...clever marketing - ironical isn't it
    It is the old saying there is no such thing as bad press.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • i'd know who they are. thanks JJJ. :)
    i can't even remember what U2 songs U2 played and i was at their concert. let alone what uppity indie band they chose to promote.

and what does he call what he's doing then. he's trying to convince the indie kids that promotion is the devil's tool. and that promtotion negates talent. admittedly it sometimes does, but not always.win butler just sounds like a whiney boy. you sure he's not emo?

I don't listen to the radio much but Triple J would be the station I would head to first. You are right, he claiming that promotion is wrong is promotion in itself. Music and other art forms are really the only "products and services" where its almost a sin to let as many people know about what you have created. I don't like the Idol and other pop factories as a way of promotion but I don't have much of a problem with U2 or the Stones.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • double post
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
    I don't listen to the radio much but Triple J would be the station I would head to first. You are right, he claiming that promotion is wrong is promotion in itself. Music and other art forms are really the only "products and services" where its almost a sin to let as many people know about what you have created. I don't like the Idol and other pop factories as a way of promotion but I don't have much of a problem with U2 or the Stones.

neither do i have a problem with either U2 or the rolling stones. i just don't listen to them. but then again i don't need repeated promotion to tell me what music to listen to. i'll hear a song(a lot of the time it only takes me one song) and if it grabs me then i will go see that band live or go search out their CD if they have one.
    but even a station like JJJ has its favourite darlings and almost bores us to tears with repeated playings.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    Arcane Fire songs are usually good but depressing....kinda like Nirvana's in utero album. Very good, but too much will dampen your mood/outlook. As for U2, Stones, Oasis, they've all wrote multiple catchy songs over their careers...but I really can't listen to any of them anymore. Overplayed? Maybe. Too anthemic? Probably. I don't mind the Stones or U2, but I would normally rather listen to other bands...as for Oasis, they kinda make me want to throw up in my mouth.

As for marketing the f__k out of songs... Does marketing really make a song sound bad? Unfortunately music is a business...and money has to be made for it to continue. Learn to live with it.
  • It sounds to me that the guy from Arcade Fire meant that people get bands constantly shoved down their throats, not necessarily that U2, Oasis, or the Rolling Stones are bad bands. I agree to an extent with him. Often, when a person criticizes bands like those mentioned above or others like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, etc., people get almost offended by it. The media and many music fans continuously tell us how great those bands are and many people like them to be part of the crowd or are simply scared to not like them for fear of criticism. People fall in line with the prevailing musical opinions regarding the "classic" bands without thinking for themselves about what they truly enjoy. This can be said also of many underground or indie bands; it's not just limited to classic rock.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    "I cringe to ever write this post, as if It needs to be said, but some people seem to not have figured out that the NME has never printed an article that doesn't take all the quotes out of context, and put some things in bold that make it seem like people are talking shit about each other!!!
    So please no oasis hate mail, I really don't care...
    Marketing is not evil, just trying to express some distaste for the whole shitstorm, but we are still dancing!
    we are about 3 steps from WWIII, but life is too short!

George Orwell wrote an essay called "Why I write", if you are a writer or musician, I really reccomend picking it up...
    my favorite quote
    "no book is genuinely free from political bias. The opinion that art should have nothing to do with politics is itself a political attitude."
    also this little passage from a poem he wrote as a young man...

"But girls' bellies and apricots,
    Roach in a shadedstream,
    Horses, ducks in flight at dawn,
    All these are a dream.

It is forbidden to dream again;
    We maim our joys or hide them;
    Horses are made of chromium steel
    And little fat men shall ride them"

see you waving from the tv!
    we have a cameo in a skit!
    hi mom!

luv
    win"
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    Here here!Win Butler
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • In 10 years I'm sure we'll be talking about the Arcade Fire and no one will remember who the rolling stones are.

Sarcasm.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA