New RHCP = CRAP!

Comments

• gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    They are a band with a huge back catalog and they give it almost no attention live. I saw them twice on the SA tour and heard six or seven songs from BSSM or earlier. My favourite period of their work is in the 80's because you can't top their intensity and love for a good funk song. Freaky Styley and The Uplift Mojo Party Plan are probably the two CDs I listen to the most by them. BSSM is a dandy as is Californication but it's a totally different style of music. I don't like One Hot Minute, By The Way, or Stadium Arcadium very much at all. Each record has 3 or 4 songs I could listen to (which is most insulting to Stadium Arcadium) and the rest is just garbage. I think Stadium Arcadium could have easily been cut down into one 15 song record and it still wouldn't be good.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • stadiums an alright album...but that song fucking sucks
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • red mos wrote:
    I'll agree that Hump de bump isn't one of my favorites off of stadium arcadium,but there are some great songs on that cd. They just aren't played on the radio and songs like: "wet sand, desicration smile, stadium arcadium, slow cheetah should be. wet sand is one of the best songs Red hot chili peppers have ever written and recorded.

that's true

wet sand is really one of the best rhcp songs, it's in my top three
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Ali baba wrote:

i love Flea, but the band is playing
    the same type of song fo the last 7 years

Just 7 years? To me most everything they've released as a single in the past 13 years has sounded like "Soul to Squeeze" and I hated that song in 94.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Ali baba wrote:
    RHCP are NOT a rock band...

they are just like beyonce

LOL please list similarities between the two.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    MCG wrote:
    LOL please list similarities between the two.

They all have vaginas.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    They are easily no where near their former selves. I enjoyed the Californication album, and By The Way was VERY hit or miss (Tear is possibly my favorite RHCP album). Stadium Arcadium was just rubbish though. It COULD have been a solid single disk record, but making it a double disk was just a terrible idea.
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    bharQ wrote:
    i cannot listen to the album..i dont know why they made it a double album... i just end up skipping through it and not enjoying it... there are probably 3 or 4 decent songs.. but its the really bad ones that make the album as a whole unlistenable

I cannot find either Stadium Arcadium or By The Way enjoyable...IMHO RHCP is the biggest sellout/letdown of the last 10 years!!! Listen(+look) what they've become...pathetic!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    Stadium is the bands best work. They took everything they always do and basically showed they are masters of that style, while keeping the album loose. They are good at what they do. Hump de bump grows on you, like the video I thought was horrible at first glance, which now I can tolerate with amusement. Its pure cheese. If I was a Chilies die hard the whole album would have been liek mana, in quanitities Pearl JAm seems reluctant to give out.
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Mohab wrote:
    Stadium is the bands best work. They took everything they always do and basically showed they are masters of that style, while keeping the album loose. They are good at what they do. Hump de bump grows on you, like the video I thought was horrible at first glance, which now I can tolerate with amusement. Its pure cheese. If I was a Chilies die hard the whole album would have been liek mana, in quanitities Pearl JAm seems reluctant to give out.

you are crazy! Chili's best years are behind them, when they were on musician performance enhancing drugs, SA does not rank anywere close to BSSM, that album was so deep as far as lyrics and musicanship go, the new album bores me, all the songs sound the same, its the most dissapointed I've ever been when buying a record, I waited 4 years for this to come out? Pearl Jam's most recent album blows away SA.
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 378
    Danimal wrote:
    RHCPs have gone down the same road as Aerosmith.

As simple as that.
    exactly. aerosmith hired professional songwriters to help them after done with mirrors bombed, and look what they came out with. although they have had some pretty good tunes in the last 15 years, the music was written with a purpose. to be radio friendly and poppy and sell millions,which they did. rchp have been like that for fucken years.ever since the higher ground cover and that effort to break into the mainstream,i would say they have written all their music in the same vein. catchy and poppy and radio friendly.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Aerosmith, I don't like their pop shit, but they're bluesy shit still kicks ass.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i love how people are saying that lyrically the songs are not as good as BSSM.

are we talking meaning or what? cause 90% of BSSM is about sex.. and about 90% of RHCP songs are about sex...
    Haijay wrote:
    exactly. aerosmith hired professional songwriters to help them after done with mirrors bombed, and look what they came out with. although they have had some pretty good tunes in the last 15 years, the music was written with a purpose. to be radio friendly and poppy and sell millions,which they did. rchp have been like that for fucken years.ever since the higher ground cover and that effort to break into the mainstream,i would say they have written all their music in the same vein. catchy and poppy and radio friendly.

BUT! Old old Aerosmith is the GREATEST! Anything off of Rocks IS UNREAL! Nobody's Fault!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Calling the Chili peppers sellouts and comparing them to Beyonce and Aerosmith is ridiculous and just shows musical ignorance. Hump De Bump is a damn good funk song. It comes from the influence of James Brown and Sly and the Family Stone. Stadium Arcadium is a great record. So is BSSM. Anyone who says the Chili Peppers don't rock anymore clearly hasn't listened to songs like Readymade and Turn It Again off SA.

I'm all for different strokes for differrent folks, and if you don't like the Peppers, fine, but some of the claims on here are just too ridiculous to be taken seriously. There's nothing wrong with being catchy. It's alot more difficult to write a catchy song than one that isn't catchy. I personally think alot of bands who deride songs that are "catchy" do so mostly becuase they don't have the ability to write stuff in that vein. Plenty of stuff by Hendrix, Zeppelin, the Beatles, the Stones, etc., could be considered catchy. Doesn't make any of them sell outs.

I think it's clear to anyone who pays attention to the band that they are 100% making the music they want to make. That is not selling out. Those who call them sellouts are mostly just jilted fans who want all their albums to sound exactly like BSSM.

Off topic, Aerosmith was great in the 70's, but they are now terrible. That godawful song from Armageddon sealed the deal on that one.
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Calling the Chili peppers sellouts and comparing them to Beyonce and Aerosmith is ridiculous and just shows musical ignorance. Hump De Bump is a damn good funk song. It comes from the influence of James Brown and Sly and the Family Stone. Stadium Arcadium is a great record. So is BSSM. Anyone who says the Chili Peppers don't rock anymore clearly hasn't listened to songs like Readymade and Turn It Again off SA.

I'm all for different strokes for differrent folks, and if you don't like the Peppers, fine, but some of the claims on here are just too ridiculous to be taken seriously. There's nothing wrong with being catchy. It's alot more difficult to write a catchy song than one that isn't catchy. I personally think alot of bands who deride songs that are "catchy" do so mostly becuase they don't have the ability to write stuff in that vein. Plenty of stuff by Hendrix, Zeppelin, the Beatles, the Stones, etc., could be considered catchy. Doesn't make any of them sell outs.

I think it's clear to anyone who pays attention to the band that they are 100% making the music they want to make. That is not selling out. Those who call them sellouts are mostly just jilted fans who want all their albums to sound exactly like BSSM.

Off topic, Aerosmith was great in the 70's, but they are now terrible. That godawful song from Armageddon sealed the deal on that one.

You nailed this one right on the fucking head...good job!!
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
    hendrix78 wrote:

I still say they stink.

• bertanbertan Posts: 266
    wow i'm surprise people hate it so much. i actually like the song a lot, and i'm glad they picked it as a single, it would've been my pick as well.
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

30.09.2006 Athens | 18.06.2007 London | 18.08.2009 London | 05.07.2014 Werchter | 17.07.2018 London | 08.07.2022 London
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    the right title of the threed should be: RHCP = CRAP !!!
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    TheGossman wrote:
    So I was flipping around today on my music on demand channels and RHCP's new video came on for Humpy Humpy or whatever its called and I have to say, this is the worst RHCP song I've ever heard, I think Anthony and John need to go back to using heroin daily and mabey they'll make some good songs again!

hump de bump youve got to hump de bump youve got bump they hump...youve got to bump bump..

THIS SONG IS GOOOOOOOOD
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    hendrix78 wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't understand the hate myself. A lot of people hate(d) Dani California when it was first released as a single but I love that song and still do. BSSM is probably my favourite Peppers album but I still love SA and haven't tired of it. I do agree that some songs on the album could have been left off. I saw the Peppers twice last year and Anthony and the rest of the band were kickass both nights. Initially, I was worried because I know Anthony can be be hit or miss.

I think the view that anything with commercial appeal is inferior or unworthy is absolutely assinine. Even so-called "indie" music could be considered commercialized these days.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    So very much bashing. I liked SA a lot better than By the Way but my favorite will always be One Hot Minute despite it's standard classification as the worst album they have put out in the last 15 years (if not ever). IMO the Chili's have put out some very cool albums in my lifetime, the ones that affected me the most growing up were BSSM, One Hot Minute and Californication. Those 3 seemed to have a very cool and consistant vibe within each record and I'll look back on them in 20 years with very fond memories as they had a meaningful affect on my musical tastes and growth. Was SA as good as some of their previos work? That's a matter of opinion. The cool thing about the RHCP's is they never seem to care, they always think everything they write is amazing because it comes straight from jamming and improvisation, everyone in the band seems so taken with their own music and I think that genuine enthusiasm is what has rubbed off on the public and kept them in the mainstream. Even if the new songs don't give me as strong a connection as one's in the past I feel greatful when I see a RHCP's video because I like even their worst songs 100X more than any R&B or pop queen who sells their looks, dances and has their songs written for them.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    All right!
    Stop whatcha doin'
    'cause I'm about to ruin
    the image and the style that ya used to.
    I look funny
    but yo I'm makin' money see
    so yo world I hope you're ready for me.
    Now gather round
    I'm the new fool in town
    and my sound's laid down by the Underground.
    I drink up all the Hennessey ya got on ya shelf
    so just let me introduce myself
    My name is Hump De, pronounced with a Ump De.
    Yo ladies, oh how I like to hump thee.
    And all the rappers in the top ten--please allow me to bump thee.
    I'm steppin' tall, y'all,
    and just like Hump de Bump
    you're gonna fall when the stereos pump me.
    I like to rhyme,
    I like my beats funky,
    I'm spunky. I like my oatmeal lumpy.
    I'm sick wit dis, straight gangsta mack
    but sometimes I get ridiculous
    I'll eat up all your crackers and your licorice
    hey yo FLEA, c'mere--are ya ticklish?
    Yeah, I called ya fat.
    Look at me, I'm skinny
    It never stopped me from gettin' busy
    I'm a freak
    I like the girls with the boom
    I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
    I'm crazy.
    Allow me to amaze thee.
    They say I'm ugly but it just don't faze me.
    I'm still gettin' in the girls' pants
    and I even got my own dance
    {Chorus:}
    The Hump de Bump is your chance to do the hump
    Do the Hump De Bump, come on and do the Hump De Bump
    Do the Hump De Bump, come on and do the Hump De Bump Hump,
    just watch me do the Hump De Bump
    Do ya know what I'm doin', doin' the Hump De Bump
    Do the Hump De Bump, do the Hump De Bump
    Verse Two:
    People say "Yo, Hump De, you're really funny lookin'"
    that's all right 'cause I get things cookin'
    Ya stare, ya glare, ya constantly try to compare me
    but ya can't get near me
    I give 'em more, see, and on the floor, B,
    all the girls they adore me
    Oh yes, ladies, I'm really bein' sincere
    'cause in a 69 my hump de nose will tickle ya rear.
    My nose is big, uh-uh I'm not ashamed
    Big like a pickle, I'm still gettin' paid
    I get laid by the ladies, ya know I'm in charge,
    both how I'm livin' and my nose is large
    I get stoopid, I shoot an arrow like Cupid,
    I use a word that don't mean nothin', like looptid
    I sang on Doowhutchalike, and if ya missed it,
    I'm the one who said just grab Flea in the biscuits
    Also told ya that I like to bite
    Well, yeah, I guess it's obvious, I also like to write.
    All ya had to do was give Hump De a chance
    and now I'm gonna do my dance.
    {Chorus}
    Breakdown:
    Oh, yeah, that's the break, y'all
    Let Flea play a little bit of that bass groove right here
    Oh, yeah!
    Now that I told ya a little bit about myself
    let me tell ya a little bit about this dance
    It's real easy to do--check it out
    Verse Three:
    First I limp to the side like my leg was broken
    Shakin' and twitchin' kinda like I was smokin'
    Crazy wack funky
    People say ya look like Jack Iron's on crack, Hump De
    That's all right 'cause my body's in motion
    It's supposed to look like a fit or a convulsion
    Anyone can play this game
    This is my dance, y'all, Hump De Bump's my name
    No two people will do it the same
    Ya got it down when ya appear to be in pain
    Humpin', funkin', jumpin',
    jig around, shakin' ya rump,
    and when the dude a chump pump points a finger like a stump
    tell him step off, I'm doin' the Hump.
    {Chorus}
    Black people, do the Hump De Bump, do the Hump De Bump
    White people, do the Hump De Bump, do the Hump De Bump
    Puerto Ricans, do the Hump De Bump, just keep on doin' the hump
    Samoans, do the Hump De Bump, do the Hump De Bump
    Let's get stoopid!
    {Chorus}
    Oh, yeah, come on and break it down
    Outro:
    Once again, the Red Hot Chili Peppers is in the house
    I'd like to send a shout out to the whole world,
    keep on doin' the Hump De Bump,
    and to the ladies,
    peace and hump de forever

• TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I really love this album. They just released a single??? I listened to this when my son was in the womb and he is 2 and a half! As a result, he is a Chili Pepper fan.
    I love Anthony's voice. I could listen to him read the phone book.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    TheGossman wrote:
    you are crazy! Chili's best years are behind them, when they were on musician performance enhancing drugs, SA does not rank anywere close to BSSM, that album was so deep as far as lyrics and musicanship go, the new album bores me, all the songs sound the same, its the most dissapointed I've ever been when buying a record, I waited 4 years for this to come out? Pearl Jam's most recent album blows away SA.

Maybe, with all due respect, your best years are behind you?

Blood sugar is not even that good, it just came out in the day. I know every note, word and so on from that cd. It is mostly boring, poppy white boy funk, with some brilliance making otherwise average tunes stand out. I mean , I love it, but all it did was turn a kid on to better of the same. It does have some songs that equal anything they do, but its no sacred cow. Frusicantes first solo album is better.

The new Pearl Jam was not miles better, I have a feeling you just like it better because you like pj miles better. They were both good records.
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 378
    Danimal wrote:
    BUT! Old old Aerosmith is the GREATEST! Anything off of Rocks IS UNREAL! Nobody's Fault!
    fuck ya, old smith kicka ass
  • The Peppers haven't put out a good record since One Hot Minute.
    Yep, that was their best album.
    BSSM is also great and anything before that.
    I anticipated Californication very much, 'cause it was the first chili pepper album in 4 years and also at the time I was in a band called Kali4nication for real, we were pumped cause we all loved the chilipeppers however when the album came out we liked it for a week then we decided they couldn't play funk anymore only pseudo - funk.
  • Mohab wrote:
    Frusicantes first solo album is better.
    Are you serious "Niandra La Des and Usually Just a T shirt" Is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life.

Your head it looks like a cow

I threw a bird at the sky
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    Mohab wrote:
    Maybe, with all due respect, your best years are behind you?

Blood sugar is not even that good, it just came out in the day. I know every note, word and so on from that cd. It is mostly boring, poppy white boy funk, with some brilliance making otherwise average tunes stand out. I mean , I love it, but all it did was turn a kid on to better of the same. It does have some songs that equal anything they do, but its no sacred cow. Frusicantes first solo album is better.

The new Pearl Jam was not miles better, I have a feeling you just like it better because you like pj miles better. They were both good records.

umm, NO! I can admit if RHCP made a better album that PJ, for instance, Californication is better than Riot act or Binural, SA just doesn't do it for me, can I not have an opinion? BSSSM (AKA "The Heroin album) is the chili's best work, your not gonna convince me otherwise pal!
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • ScotInAmsterdamScotInAmsterdam Posts: 1,004
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I think it's clear to anyone who pays attention to the band that they are 100% making the music they want to make. That is not selling out.

I don't listen to the Chili peppers after One Hot Minute. I'm not going to bitch about it, we grew apart. I have a belief that you progress and grow, and if you are lucky enough for one band(For me Pearl Jam) to progress and grow with you then you are a very lucky person indeed. I took a different direction than the chili peppers.... not a problem. It happens. I'm sure they don't miss me.

The problem I have with the quoted statement is that the one time that I finally got to see the chili peppers... sometime around 2000, they felt washed out. They didn't look as if they were enjoying it. Flea looked positively bored, and I felt John Frusciante was running through a list of guitar cliches till the night was over. Maybe it was an off night, maybe I wasn't in the mood but I was soooo close to leaving early and that's something I never do.