• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    You suck

soory dude, easily the worst song on an otherwise brilliant album
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    How about Deep Purple - Machine Head, I think that was '69. Airplane - Bless It's Pointed Little Head. I think Blind Faith is one of the best albums of all time. I still love to listen to it every once in a while.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    fada wrote:
    Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band MOST overrated shite I ever bought

It's a masterpiece! It's the most convincing crossover of hard bop, free jazz, folk, blues, country, gospel ("Moonlight On Vermont"), psychedelia, performance art and spoken word in music history. There are moments of incredible poetry ("Orange Claw Hammer"), political comment ("Dachau Blues"; "Veteran's Day Poppy"), comic book Hollywood fantasy ("The Blimp") and swamp blues Tom Waits couldn't begin to touch ("China Pig"). And what about "Hair Pie" part one? That's experimental and raw music in its purest form.
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,151
    LedZepFan wrote:
    my top 14(in no order, because, quite frankly, that is impossible)

Beatles-White
    Beatles-Sgt Peppers
    Beatles-Abbey Road
    Beatles-Revolver
    Doors-S/T
    Doors-Strange Days
    Doors-Waiting for the Sun
    Hendrix-Are You Experienced?
    Hendrix-Axis
    Hendrix-Electric Ladyland
    Led Zeppelin-LZ1
    Led Zeppelin-LZ2
    Rolling Stones-Let it Bleed
    Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet
    The Who-Tommy

Great list...can't really argue with any of these except for adding Pink Floyd Meddle...if it was released in the 60's?
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    1 Sgt Pepper The beatles
    2 Abbey Road the beatles
    3 Pet Sounds The beach boys
    4 Electric Ladyland Jimi Hendrix experience
    5 Led zeppelin Led Zeppelin
    6 tommy The Who
    7 revolver The beatles
    8 highway 61 revisted Bob Dylan
    9 Bookends Simon and Garfunkel
    10 The white album the beatles
    11 On the boards Taste
    12 Led Zeppelin || Led Zeppelin
    13 small faces small faces
    14 A hard days night the beatles
  • Options
    jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    Like what the other's have said Jimi Hendrix, The Doors and Led Zeppelin and pretty much most of what's already been reccomended, you need to get into these bands and your list will change, your right about the 60's been an amazing era in music but from your list you haven't discovered more than half of what made it amazing yet.:)

It's not like I've never heard of Jimi Hendrix. I've got his blues album (most of which is very good) and of course his greatest hits. The guy is unbelievable It's not that I haven't "discovered" these artists you mentioned, their just not on my list 'cuz I don't have any of their original albums. I will be picking up at least a couple Hendrix records, and begrudingly, maybe Physical Graffitti, since it sounds like that's the one that has been tainted the least by radio-play.

The Doors are just one band I cannot get into. They've got a few decent songs, but I think they have received more attention than their worth because of Morrison's death. That plus the huge number of their fans who became so while in an "altered state of mind" so to speak. Yeah I'm sayin it -the Doors are average at best.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    intodeep wrote:
    Nice list. Many folks have made many suggestions one i have not seen that is one of my favorite albums from the 60's was 1969's Bitches Brew by Miles Davis.

This was not the first rock/jazz fusion album but it might as well have been because it defined the genre moving forward.

that would be my suggestion if you are looking to check out other stuff, but of course if you don't like jazz it may not be as easy to get into as say a jimi hendrix album or neil young's everybody knows this is nowhere that includes the almighty three round salvo or cinnamon girl, down by the river, and cowgirl in the sand. :)

Bitches Brew is cool, but i like his earlier, more laid back work better (Kind of Blue obviously, Birth of the Cool). Most of the jazz I own is pre-1960 stuff. Sketches of Spain I guess did come out in '60 or '61 so that would be on my list if I owned it, but don't - just borrowed it from my roomate all the time back in the day. Need to pick up my own copy of that one.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    velvet underground, Zep., simon and garfunkel (laugh if you want, but at least one of their albums deserves it), Doors,...

goddamnit there was way too much good music in the 60's.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    OK, we know you like the Beatles... we get it. But to name 6 artists in your top 14? Get a grip, and open your ears! Now how about Zep, the Doors, Jimi, Velvet Underground, Zappa, the MC5, The Dead, shit, even Neil Young recorded a great album in the 60's (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere). The Band, Jefferson Airplane, Nick Drake, Traffic, Cream...do I need to go on? OK, I will.....Joni Mitchell, LOVE, The F***ing WHO!!!!

Not that art is not arbitrary, but know that if you put a top 10 list (or 14) up, it will be torn to shreds!
    you're right, but to be fair those beatles albums all deserve that kind of mention in their own right. (but cmon, on such a short list pick one ;) )
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    jhawk98 wrote:
    It's not like I've never heard of Jimi Hendrix. I've got his blues album (most of which is very good) and of course his greatest hits. The guy is unbelievable It's not that I haven't "discovered" these artists you mentioned, their just not on my list 'cuz I don't have any of their original albums. I will be picking up at least a couple Hendrix records, and begrudingly, maybe Physical Graffitti, since it sounds like that's the one that has been tainted the least by radio-play.

The Doors are just one band I cannot get into. They've got a few decent songs, but I think they have received more attention than their worth because of Morrison's death. That plus the huge number of their fans who became so while in an "altered state of mind" so to speak. Yeah I'm sayin it -the Doors are average at best.

Check out The Doors, Strange Days and LA Woman albums you should be able to pick them up pretty cheap second hand, these albums are masterpieces.
    I'm not as presumptious as to think your so uneducated that you have never heard of Hendrix by my comments I was simply reccomending you check out his full albums, same with Zeppelin and The Doors.
    Think about it like this how many of Pearl Jams best songs get plucked of the albums and given radio play?
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    morrison hotel is the best doors album
  • Options
    I think velvet underground should be on there
    I attack with love, pure bug beauty, curl my lips and crawl up to you.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Echoes wrote:

I will agree it hardly fits. Itsa good way to start an album. Kinda reminds me of Hail Hail on No Code.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:

easily?

youre a moron
    Wave came crashing...
  • Options
    best album of the 60s imo = the freewhellin bobby d
    Wave came crashing...
  • Options
    I can NOT believe only one person has mentioned Pet Sounds. Don't you all know that without it, Sgt. Peppers might not have even existed? Sir Paul says to this day that it's one of his favorite records of all time.

P.S. The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle is pretty kickass.
    Rather be forgotten than remembered for giving in.
    Dallas 07/05/1998
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    That one was 1971, so you get to add another one to the list. :)

I think it will be Morrison hotel then.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    Ok, if you want to know something abour 60’s music, ha ha,,,, you gotta get someone who listened to music in the 60’s!!

:D

I love being this old sometimes, because I also got to see all those bands above, and listed below.

Just from memory, I’ll put some out there over and above what was listed up there.
    I ain’t sticking to 14 either!

This may be in chronological order to some degree,,,, But my memory isn't too timeline-like!

These are among the R&B and folk beginnings

James Brown - Live at the Apollo Get that booty shakin!
    Chuck Berry for the start of the 60’s rock and roll decade.
    Ray Charles- Genious + Soul = Jazz I love that album
    The Freewheeling Bob Dylan

Otis Redding Sings Soul
    Aretha Franklin - Anything she sang!
    Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
    The Temptations sing Smokey - (Smokey Robinson wrote GREAT songs and was a great producer, and singer)
    Curtis Mayfield - What's going on
    Gladys Knight and the Pips! :D - They were great R&B

Ike and Tina Turner! - I think they were almost the king and queen presiding over transforming R&B and soul to Rock and Roll. Anything you can get your hands on is great. I saw them open for the Stones in 1969, and remember that night like it was a few weeks ago.
    I'll try to dig into my memory for a good album, but there are some great best of 60's compilations, too for them.

I think 1966 was the beginning of the musical revolution:

“Them” was good I think the album was “The Angry Young” (Early Van Morrison!)

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention: Freak Out was a groundbreaker

John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton-- A must have! This caused the slogan “Clapton is God” He broke ground because he took his Marshall amp and cranked it up and distorted it out and created a whole new genre of electric guitar!

Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence and “Parsley, Sage Rosemary and Thyme were beautiful and outspoken albums

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow Ha ha - Folk music goes psychedelic and this is a classic as well as Volunteers, and the live one, “Bless it’s pointed little Head”.

The Who -The Who Sell Out , Live at Leeds

I LOVE THE KINKS!! The first garage band! “Something else by the Kinks” and The Village Green Preservation Society (Which was their answer to Sgt Peppers) were good ones

Moby Grape was a great psychedelic blues band

Buffalo Spingfield was angry rock and roll,,,,, ha ha,,, you’ll recognize the voice and guitar sound of Neil Young

Country Joe and the Fish had an album - “Electric music for the mind and body”
    In your face music about the Viet Nam war and an anthem of the 60’s (“And it’s one two three what are we fightin for,,, don’t ask me I don’t give a damn,,, next stop is Viet Nam”)

Big Brother and the Holding Company - Janis Joplin - “Cheap Thrills”. It’s live and you MUST have it!

Traffic - “Traffic” is an amazing album

Joni Mitchell - Blue - She was the love of my life in the late 60’s :)

Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk is a little more accessible than Trout Mask Replica, but they both are Avante Garde something or other. I toured with him playing guitar in the late 70’s,, so you KNOW I’m a weirdo guitar player! :D

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland and Bold as Love

The Steve Miller Band - Sailor -

Van Morrison - “Astral Weeks” and “Into The Mystic”

David Bowie - Space Oddity

King Crimson - In the court of the Crimson King is a major beginning to art rock

Miles Davis - In a Silent Way is a must. If you talk to any major electric guitarist, this album was one of the major influences.

Jethro Tull - Stand Up, Aqualung

Randy Newman - 12 songs

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left, Pink Moon

Santana - Santana , Abraxas and if you want to hear a great one, The Santana Blues Band live at the Fillmore in 1968. They and the Grateful Dead were the first major Jam Bands, Santana with a Latin beat. These are essential albums for anyone who wants some 60’s stuff.

In reality, the 60’s era music didn’t stop until the early 70’s, so:
    Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore One of the great live albums ever.
    Grateful Dead - Amercian Beauty and Europe ‘72 ,
    Randy Newman- Sail away
    The Stones- Beggars Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, Get your Ya ya’s Out (Live) and Exiles on Main Street are all must haves if you were a rocker.

Ok, well, that should keep you busy! :D

I know there are a lot more, too.

Ha ha!

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown!! (I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE AND I BRING YOU "FIRE" DE DE DEHHHH, I bid you to burn! ) THAT was a frightning live show! :D)

MC-5 -- Kick Out the Jams M* F* were a pretty volatile live band, too.
    You would walk out of their show like :eek:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart