Options

The top 14 albums of the 1960's

jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
edited June 2006 in Other Music
And so it has come to this. I've done lists for each of the past four decades (including the current one) and now I have only a few albums from the 60's in my collection to put through the Ipod ranking system and see what shakes out.

The results of this one were interesting. Trying to rank these albums is kind of ridiculous. They are all among the most outstanding musical documents ever created IMO. To put it in perspective, all of these records scored higher than 75 of the 100+ albums I have from the 90's and higher than all but 10 of the 50+ albums I have from the current decade. In short, the 60's were just an amazing time for music.

Outside of the Ray Charles record, there is a noticeable absence of the great R&B artists from Motown, etc. I've got a TON of this stuff in hits collections, but no original albums so nothing on the list from this important part of 60's music.

14.The Beatles-Rubber Soul
13.Johnny Cash-At Folsom Prison
12.The Beatles-Yellow Submarine (although this is a collection of previously released material which I normally would not include in a list like this, I'm putting it in because the art direction of the film and the record cover, etc. is so deserving)

...back to it then...

11.The Beatles-Abbey Road
10.The Beatles-The Beatles (White)
09.The Beach Boys -Pet Sounds
08.The Beatles-Revolver
07.Ray Charles-Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music
06.The Rolling Stones-Let It Bleed
05.Bob Dylan-Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
04.Bob Dylan-Bringing It All Back Home
03.The Rolling Stones-Beggar's Banquet
02.The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
01.Bob Dylan-Blonde On Blonde

Also, mention must be made of Credence Clearwater Revival. The only album of theirs I own is Mardi Gras (a 70's release). Otherwise I have the box set and several other greatest hits collections. During the 60's these guys made fantastic American rock music, and wrote some very powerful lyrics to boot. Their catalog is right up there at the top for me.

Not a lot of variety artist-wise I suppose. Then again, there's only 14 records listed. I've tended to stick to sure things with my purchases here. All the more reason to post this thing on a forum like this to get reactions and suggestions of where to go next. Fire away kiddos...

Oh, and I think I'm gonna take a closer look at comparing each of my decade lists, combining them and coming up with what albums rank hightest overall in my collection. I'll post that one of these days. I know you guys can't wait...
rock chalk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    merlin401merlin401 Posts: 216
    jhawk98 wrote:
    And so it has come to this. I've done lists for each of the past four decades (including the current one) and now I have only a few albums from the 60's in my collection to put through the Ipod ranking system and see what shakes out.

The results of this one were interesting. Trying to rank these albums is kind of ridiculous. They are all among the most outstanding musical documents ever created IMO. To put it in perspective, all of these records scored higher than 75 of the 100+ albums I have from the 90's and higher than all but 10 of the 50+ albums I have from the current decade. In short, the 60's were just an amazing time for music.

Outside of the Ray Charles record, there is a noticeable absence of the great R&B artists from Motown, etc. I've got a TON of this stuff in hits collections, but no original albums so nothing on the list from this important part of 60's music.

14.The Beatles-Rubber Soul
    13.Johnny Cash-At Folsom Prison
    12.The Beatles-Yellow Submarine (although this is a collection of previously released material which I normally would not include in a list like this, I'm putting it in because the art direction of the film and the record cover, etc. is so deserving)

...back to it then...

11.The Beatles-Abbey Road
    10.The Beatles-The Beatles (White)
    09.The Beach Boys -Pet Sounds
    08.The Beatles-Revolver
    07.Ray Charles-Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music
    06.The Rolling Stones-Let It Bleed
    05.Bob Dylan-Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    04.Bob Dylan-Bringing It All Back Home
    03.The Rolling Stones-Beggar's Banquet
    02.The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    01.Bob Dylan-Blonde On Blonde

Also, mention must be made of Credence Clearwater Revival. The only album of theirs I own is Mardi Gras (a 70's release). Otherwise I have the box set and several other greatest hits collections. During the 60's these guys made fantastic American rock music, and wrote some very powerful lyrics to boot. Their catalog is right up there at the top for me.

Not a lot of variety artist-wise I suppose. Then again, there's only 14 records listed. I've tended to stick to sure things with my purchases here. All the more reason to post this thing on a forum like this to get reactions and suggestions of where to go next. Fire away kiddos...

Oh, and I think I'm gonna take a closer look at comparing each of my decade lists, combining them and coming up with what albums rank hightest overall in my collection. I'll post that one of these days. I know you guys can't wait...

Critical albums missing: Jimi Hendrix (are you experienced?), Velvet Underground (VU & Nico)... Also LZ I and II were also in the 60s and worth of consideration for sure
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden 1, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022)
  • Options
    merlin401 wrote:
    Critical albums missing: Jimi Hendrix (are you experienced?), Velvet Underground (VU & Nico)... Also LZ I and II were also in the 60s and worth of consideration for sure

Covered this topic in the thread I started a while back on 70's tunes. I can't bring myself to buy any Zeppelin stuff because of the sheer amount I've heard it played on radio, tv, movies, etc. I don't deny they were talented, I just don't have any of their records.

Also, the Nico record is decent but I honestly think it's a bit overrated.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Hot Rats and Everybody knows this is nowhere is better than anything on that list, maybe an exception to Abbey Road. I would have ranked Pet Sounds higher too. And had Highway 61 Revisited on that list since it is one of Dylan's best.

Other frequently overlooked 760's albums are SF Sorrow by The Pretty Things, and DOnovan's Mellow Yellow. Good stuff there.

also

Disraeli Gears
    Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    Freak Out!
    We're Only In It For THe Money
    Cruisin With Reuban and THe Jets
    In A Silent Way
    My Funny Valentine
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jhawk98 wrote:
    Covered this topic in the thread I started a while back on 70's tunes. I can't bring myself to buy any Zeppelin stuff because of the sheer amount I've heard it played on radio, tv, movies, etc. I don't deny they were talented, I just don't have any of their records.

Also, the Nico record is decent but I honestly think it's a bit overrated.

forget about what you've heard on the radio. go out and buy some zeppelin.
    you seem to have been able to own the beatles and they have got to be one of, if not the most played artist on the radio.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    OK, we know you like the Beatles... we get it. But to name 6 artists in your top 14? Get a grip, and open your ears! Now how about Zep, the Doors, Jimi, Velvet Underground, Zappa, the MC5, The Dead, shit, even Neil Young recorded a great album in the 60's (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere). The Band, Jefferson Airplane, Nick Drake, Traffic, Cream...do I need to go on? OK, I will.....Joni Mitchell, LOVE, The F***ing WHO!!!!

Not that art is not arbitrary, but know that if you put a top 10 list (or 14) up, it will be torn to shreds!
    "Worship the music, not the musician"
    EV
    4/16/92 ; 7/22/92 ; 9/20/92 ; 12/7/93 ; 6/7/95 ; 9/14/96 ; 9/16/96 ; 9/1/98 ; 11/2/00 ; 10/22/01 ; 12/6/02 ; 12/8/02 ; 5/30/03 ; 7/6/03 ; 7/8/03 ; 7/9/03 ; 10/22/03 ; 11/24/03 ; 9/1/05 ; 9/2/05 ; 7/9/06 ; 7/10/06 ; 7/22/06 ; 7/23/06 ; 8/22/2009 ; 8/23/2009 ; 9/21/2009 ; 9/22/2009 ; 9/3/2011 ; 9/4/2011
  • Options
    alobaralobar Posts: 310
    You know, I'm actually really digging this list. Many of you are right in adding that there were a bunch of great band and artists from the 60's, but really The Beatles and Dylan blow everybody else out of the water. I like how Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's were the only Beatles album to trump Pet Sounds. My sentiments, exactly.

I also think VU& Nico is overrated, but Loaded is the shit. I think the only thing you're missing is some Hendrix and Zeppelin.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix
    A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
    Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
    Revolver - The Beatles
    Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix
    Highway 61 Revised - Bob Dylan
    Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band
    The Beatles - The Beatles
    Beggars Banquet - The Rolling Stones
    Abbey Road - The Beatles
    Axis: Bold as Love - Jimi Hendrix
    Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Pink Floyd
    Rubber Soul - The Beatles
    Forever Changes - Love

That'd be my list.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I take it you want 14 because of the link to the great superiour class of Johan Cruyff.:D!!!

01.Revolver ~ The Beatles
    02.L.A.woman ~ The Doors
    03.The piper at the gates of dawn ~ Pink Floyd
    04.Abbey Road ~ The Beatles
    05.The banana album ~ The Velvet underground
    06.Waiting for the sun ~ The Doors
    07.Electric lady land ~ Jimi Hendrix
    08.A question of balance ~ The Moody blues
    09.Sgt Pepper’s lonely hearts club band ~ The Beatles
    10.Freewheelin' Bob Dylan ~ Bob Dylan
    11.Bringing It All Back Home ~ Bob Dylan
    12.Led zeppelin 1 ~ Led zepplin
    13.Highway 61 revisited ~ Bob Dylan
    14.Are you experienced ~ Jimi Hendrix

Not in any special order.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    OK, we know you like the Beatles... we get it. But to name 6 artists in your top 14? Get a grip, and open your ears! Now how about Zep, the Doors, Jimi, Velvet Underground, Zappa, the MC5, The Dead, shit, even Neil Young recorded a great album in the 60's (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere). The Band, Jefferson Airplane, Nick Drake, Traffic, Cream...do I need to go on? OK, I will.....Joni Mitchell, LOVE, The F***ing WHO!!!!

Not that art is not arbitrary, but know that if you put a top 10 list (or 14) up, it will be torn to shreds!

These are the albums he owns. (i think)
    Maybe there are other albums out there that he enjoys he just does not own them. Besides it's his opinion no need to jump on him for it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Lots of good one's mentioned already but I think The Who's debut is worthy of any greatest albums list, let alone a 60's list.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Some of my faves. I dunno if all of em are top 14 material though.

Zeppelin- 1 and 2
    Hendrix- Axis:Bold As Love, Are You Experienced
    Neil Young-Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
    Derek and the Dominoes-Layla and other assorted love songs
    Beatles-Abbey Road
    King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King
    Pink Floyd-Piper........... Ummagumma
    Blind Faith-S/T
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    02.L.A.woman ~ The Doors

That one was 1971, so you get to add another one to the list. :)
  • Options
    Pet Sounds is number 9? BOOOOOOOO!
    Pronounced: (mo-KAY-lay em-BEM-bay)

"So I made a mistake, ONE mistake, can't a man start over?! DO I HAVE TO KEEP PAYING?! Maybe I should make another mistake... maybe I should make two."

• Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Hot Rats and Everybody knows this is nowhere is better than anything on that list, maybe an exception to Abbey Road. I would have ranked Pet Sounds higher too. And had Highway 61 Revisited on that list since it is one of Dylan's best.

Other frequently overlooked 760's albums are SF Sorrow by The Pretty Things, and DOnovan's Mellow Yellow. Good stuff there.

also

Disraeli Gears
    Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
    Freak Out!
    We're Only In It For THe Money
    Cruisin With Reuban and THe Jets
    In A Silent Way
    My Funny Valentine

Hot Rats has some interesting compositions, but gets monotonous to me pretty quick. FZ is just not my bag I guess. I do respect his efforts at creating a sort of jazz/rock hybrid type of music, but it all seems to run together to me. I would agree that Rats is his best effort, but that's coming from someone who doesn't really like his music so what do I know?
    rock chalk
  • Options
    forget about what you've heard on the radio. go out and buy some zeppelin.
    you seem to have been able to own the beatles and they have got to be one of, if not the most played artist on the radio.

I suppose your right. It seems to me though that radio plays only a fraction of the beatles catalog and their is a lot of good stuff left to get into. Maybe it's the same way with LZ. Give me a suggestion of a LZ album that is good, but that has a significant amount of music that is not played into the ground. For example, the White Album has a TON of music that radio never touches. What is the LZ equivalent?
    rock chalk
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    These are the albums he owns. (i think)
    Maybe there are other albums out there that he enjoys he just does not own them. Besides it's his opinion no need to jump on him for it.

Bingo. These are my top 14, 'cuz they are the only 14 I own. That's why I post these lists - to get suggestions on how to expand my horizons.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    Pet Sounds is number 9? BOOOOOOOO!

I kind of expected Pet Sounds to be a bit higher on the list, but jeez look what it is competing with. I love the album. Lyrically it is one of the most amazing records ever made IMO. And obviously it is so textured and strong musically as well. "God Only Knows", and "I Just wasn't made..." are personal favorites. There is some filler there for me though. "I know there's an answer" and "hang onto your ego" are basically the same song. Caroline No is just flat out boring.

Sure is a lot of love for Abbey Road on this board. For those of you that like the album so much, what makes it head and shoulders above the rest of the beatles stuff?
    rock chalk
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    my top 14(in no order, because, quite frankly, that is impossible)

Beatles-White
    Beatles-Sgt Peppers
    Beatles-Abbey Road
    Beatles-Revolver
    Doors-S/T
    Doors-Strange Days
    Doors-Waiting for the Sun
    Hendrix-Are You Experienced?
    Hendrix-Axis
    Hendrix-Electric Ladyland
    Led Zeppelin-LZ1
    Led Zeppelin-LZ2
    Rolling Stones-Let it Bleed
    Rolling Stones-Beggars Banquet
    The Who-Tommy
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    jhawk98 wrote:
    I suppose your right. It seems to me though that radio plays only a fraction of the beatles catalog and their is a lot of good stuff left to get into. Maybe it's the same way with LZ. Give me a suggestion of a LZ album that is good, but that has a significant amount of music that is not played into the ground. For example, the White Album has a TON of music that radio never touches. What is the LZ equivalent?

Physical Graffiti lotta awesome material, the first disc is fuckin ridiculously good,

second gives you a very good frame of reference for the rest of their music, and yes the music is untouchable
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    revolver can't be touched. not even by another beatles album. they could have stayed together forever and they would never have been able to make a better album. :)
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    revolver can't be touched. not even by another beatles album. they could have stayed together forever and they would never have been able to make a better album. :)

:)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Like what the other's have said Jimi Hendrix, The Doors and Led Zeppelin and pretty much most of what's already been reccomended, you need to get into these bands and your list will change, your right about the 60's been an amazing era in music but from your list you haven't discovered more than half of what made it amazing yet.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Nice list. Many folks have made many suggestions one i have not seen that is one of my favorite albums from the 60's was 1969's Bitches Brew by Miles Davis.

This was not the first rock/jazz fusion album but it might as well have been because it defined the genre moving forward.

that would be my suggestion if you are looking to check out other stuff, but of course if you don't like jazz it may not be as easy to get into as say a jimi hendrix album or neil young's everybody knows this is nowhere that includes the almighty three round salvo or cinnamon girl, down by the river, and cowgirl in the sand. :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    jhawk98 wrote:

i can't give you an equivalent.i don't listen to commercial radio. but personally the first album does it for me. black mountain side is just a killer tune. no words but still short and oh so sweet. i can't quit you babe and baby i'm gonna leave you just hum. oh yeah and there's dazed and confused.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i can't give you an equivalent.i don't listen to commercial radio. but personally the first album does it for me. black mountain side is just a killer tune. no words but still short and oh so sweet. i can't quit you babe and baby i'm gonna leave you just hum. oh yeah and there's dazed and confused.

I would say Prescence and Phys Graffiti are the least represented on the radio.

Houses of the Holy only has D'yer Mak'er and the Ocean as radio songs, but the rest of the album is soooooo good. Rain Song makes it worth the price of admission.

III has mostly glorious non radio songs as well. Immigrant song is really the only song that gets much play off that one.

II and IV are the big radio albums. I have heard every Zeppelin song on the radio at one point or another, but 8x out 10 its off of one of these albums. Still great albums, just played all the time on rock radio.

Everybody do themselves a favor and go out and get all the Zeppelin albums.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    II and IV are the big radio albums. I have heard every Zeppelin song on the radio at one point or another, but 8x out 10 its off of one of these albums. Still great albums, just played all the time on rock radio.
    Everybody do themselves a favor and go out and get all the Zeppelin albums.

see i'm a zeppelin snob. if you tell me 'stairway to heaven' is your favourite zeppelin song i'm gonna turn my back on you.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    see i'm a zeppelin snob. if you tell me 'stairway to heaven' is your favourite zeppelin song i'm gonna turn my back on you.

If Stairway is my favorite song by Zeppelin it definitely wouldnt be from lack of lookin for somethin different.

Nah, its in the top 5, b/c even if you take away all the hoopla surrounding it, it's still an amazing song.

I honestly dunno if I even have a favorite Zeppelin song.

Achilles Last Stand is one of my faves

Rain Song, Tea For One, In the Evening, basically I love everything Zeppelin has ever released. I even love Coda.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    If Stairway is my favorite song by Zeppelin it definitely wouldnt be from lack of lookin for somethin different.

Nah, its in the top 5, b/c even if you take away all the hoopla surrounding it, it's still an amazing song.

I honestly dunno if I even have a favorite Zeppelin song.

Achilles Last Stand is one of my faves

Rain Song, Tea For One, In the Evening, basically I love everything Zeppelin has ever released. I even love Coda.

but you know the only person's opinion that matters to is yours. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Immigrant song sucks
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band MOST overrated shite I ever bought