The Mars Volta & RHCP

2»

Comments

• JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Toshala wrote:
    ok, saw them last nite and they were DEAD ON!!!! I was really expecting Anthony to be off key A LOT but he was so on the money for most of the nite, I was smiling big......When we got there MV had started to play and they were so insanely loud we decided to not try to find our seats til they were done.....the Chilis really made us wait for them but it was such a spectacular and perfect show I forgave them, lol.....I didn't note the setlist but they did play Dani California, Californication, Charlie, Sir Psycho, (what a GREAT choice!!)......I loved the parts where Flea is facing John and they're just going at it.....musical bliss.......I have no complaints.....

well, the puker in the row below us........yeah, live with that aroma for the entire show......good thing it was vodka and so, not TOO terrible, but still...............

Sir Psycho!!!!!! I HOPE they play it in either Montreal and Quebec C. I must hear it again. It is so raunchy old school peppers.

And that's what I mean about needing earplugs esp. for Mars Volta. They are so trebly and Omar has this incredibly high pitched voice that it can be like a nail through your ear drum. I will be interested to see how MV are in comparison to 2003.

Good to know Anthony is sounding good. The Canadian crowds seem to go more for the weed than the alcohol so hopefully we won't be near puke.

Now I'm getting excited! A little over a month to go.

They didn't play Suck My Kiss did they? Or Give it Away? Those are 2 of my absolute favorites. Any other old school stuff? Me and My Friends?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I see them in October but i saw them together the last time RHCP toured. I really dont care for Mars Volta.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    JaneNY wrote:
    Oh 20 definitely is more reasonable, and yes it is more in line with what more bands do. (Though 18-20 NIN songs equals 30 of some other bands' because of intensity.) Well that's good. I can live with 20 from the RHCP ;)

Got 23 from PJ in Dublin and thought it wasn't that many, hah! :D

NIN may be intense, but both times i've seen them, no encores, not a word from Trent as he left. Just a little dissapointing.

I've seen both The Mars Volta (twice, and I am a HUGE fan) and the Chili Peppers, but not together. I don't think TMV are a good support act for anyone really. Unless you're a fan, it's hard to get into, and they are not what your casual rock fan is going to want to hear. As a support act, it limits what they can play, and you can't appreciate the whole of their show. When i've seen them play, there's never a break between songs, it's just a two hour jam, and it's fantastic.

This is just me, but i'd rather just see TMV for 3 hours and not bother with the Chilies! :D
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Gypsy125 wrote:
    I'm going to see them tomorrow in Oakland. Anyone else from here gonna be there?
    Monika

PS. Would it be bad if I wore a PJ t-shirt?....

I wear my PJ shirt most places, so it seems natural that it should be worn at concerts, even if it isn't a PJ concert. Besides, it will make some other PJ fan smile like this: :D

I saw someone in a NIN shirt when I was queuing for PJ and it made me smile.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    JaneNY wrote:
    Sir Psycho!!!!!! I HOPE they play it in either Montreal and Quebec C. I must hear it again. It is so raunchy old school peppers...

They didn't play Suck My Kiss did they? Or Give it Away? Those are 2 of my absolute favorites. Any other old school stuff? Me and My Friends?

Damn! I'd love to hear all that old school stuff, Sir Psycho, Suck My Kiss (probably my favourite!!), Power of Equality, Funky Monks (should be playing in strip clubs everywhere) and I Could Have Lied - heard that they've played these last two songs at least once or twice in the tour already.

By the way, I'm going to the Quebec City show too and then hitting the Boston show the next night followed by Tool in New Hampshire. October is going to be such a kickass month!