The Mars Volta & RHCP

Hunger StrikeHunger Strike Posts: 229
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Going to see them tonight! 2nd row!!! Anyone see this combo, this tour, how is it? I love the Mars Volta, they are so out there, I'll have to be good and stoned for this one!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Haven't seen it yet (going in Sept) but I'm sure it will be amazing!
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    Going to see them tonight! 2nd row!!! Anyone see this combo, this tour, how is it? I love the Mars Volta, they are so out there, I'll have to be good and stoned for this one!

Saw it Friday night here. I also like Mars Volta, but don't think an arena opening for RHCP is the best forum for them. Seems quite a few people couldn't appreciate them and their brand of music. Make sure you are "good and ready" and you'll enjoy them. RHCP were pretty good, lots of lights to help carry the show.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Any word on the setlist for the mars volta?

thanks
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I've seen this pair a couple times in 03. The Mars Volta are definitely interesting. I'd suggest ear plugs if you want to hear the next day though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • JaneNY wrote:
    I've seen this pair a couple times in 03. The Mars Volta are definitely interesting. I'd suggest ear plugs if you want to hear the next day though.

Funny, never thought of that, earplugs, I do see ppl with them in, kinda makes me laugh! I know, they are loud, they opened for SOAD, loved them then. I agree with another post that the crowd didn't really appreciate them very much.

Maybe I'll take your advise on the earplugs! I felt that way with My Morning Jacket, man they were loud! Especially right up front.

No, haven't seen anything about the Mars Volta set list.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    i saw mars volta open for rhcp in 03 and for system of a down last summer (and i'll see them with rhcp again in october) and they were really good. some parts were kinda slow but when it picked up again it was sick. lets just say certain substances make them A LOT better live.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    How are the Chili Peppers doing? Do they sound good live, and how is their show these days?
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    Funny, never thought of that, earplugs, I do see ppl with them in, kinda makes me laugh!

Once you lose your hearing it's permanent and definitely no laughing matter. I used to think the same way (ah, earplugs are for pussies!) but wisely decided that I would rather keep my hearing than appear to be cool.
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483

No man don't be stoned.:D They can give you a natural high.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    funkymonk wrote:
    Once you lose your hearing it's permanent and definitely no laughing matter. I used to think the same way (ah, earplugs are for pussies!) but wisely decided that I would rather keep my hearing than appear to be cool.

I agree...I think it was a combination of Nine Inch Nails, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club(in a very small venue no less), and The Cult within 6 months that started to give me some tenitus. I'll definitely have some earplugs at the Chilis/Volta show in October
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • funkymonk wrote:

Hah, what did you say??? fast forward, day after the show, my ears are ringing! Everything is just a little off today!

Great show last night! TMV rocked, the lead singer is one funky dude! Our seats were soooo great.

RHCP, awesome! John Frusciante is amazing! amazing! amazing!

I will admit that AK did seem abit distant, he really never made eye contact with the crowd, and when the last song was over, he just split, no goodbyes, nothing. John, Flea and Chad stayed out and jammed together for like 10 min. after. It was a great show!
    So what was the setlist like? Are they playing mainly stuff off Stadium Arcadium? We are seeing them in Montreal and Quebec C. next month.
  • LedZepFan wrote:
    I agree...I think it was a combination of Nine Inch Nails, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club(in a very small venue no less), and The Cult within 6 months that started to give me some tenitus. I'll definitely have some earplugs at the Chilis/Volta show in October

you must have sensitive ears!

i evaluate each show individually.. i'll wear plugs for certain ones, but for others i'll take the risk/choose to do with out..

i find that they can make the sound better (clearer) - at least they did at the last mars volta show i saw.

seeing em in montreal sept. 28.
  • Didn't wear earplugs! 2nd row, it was loud!

Set list was

Scar Tissue,
    Charlie,
    Otherside
    Readymade Right on Time
    Nobody Wierd Like Me
    Snow,
    Blood Sugar Sex Magic,
    Stadium Arcadium
    Soul to Squeeze,
    Tell Me Baby,
    Don't Forget Me,
    By The Way
    they encored with:
    Under The Bridge
    (Finale!! with a great intro of Public Enemy's "98" to Give It Away.. AK left the stage and John, Flea, and Chad went at it for about 5 minutes (hard!!) and then after Chad left, Flea and John got in each others face and wailed fo ranother 5 minutes. It was almost like a duel to see who could jam the fastest. The camera angles picked up some great emotion form both JOhn and Flea. Great finish to a really great sounding and tight rocking night in Phoenix.
    you must have sensitive ears!

well i also play in two bands haha...i think my hearings been gradually worn down

I really hope they play BSSM at my show. That would be insane

Some die just to live.
    JaneNY wrote:
    So what was the setlist like? Are they playing mainly stuff off Stadium Arcadium? We are seeing them in Montreal and Quebec C. next month.

I'm seeing them in Quebec City and Boston.
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    intodeep wrote:
    Any word on the setlist for the mars volta?

thanks
    Roulette Dares
    The Widow
    Tetragrammaton
    Viscera Eyes
    Day of the Baphomets
  • Alone.Alone. Posts: 54
    i saw the mars volta and chili peppers at Endfest this year....i didnt like the mars. too crazy. i went and got ear plugs. plus, haha some guy pissed in a condom and threw it at the lead singer, he got outraged and threatened the beat the guy up, and then fled off stage.
    Didn't wear earplugs! 2nd row, it was loud!

Set list was

Scar Tissue,
    Charlie,
    Otherside
    Readymade Right on Time
    Nobody Wierd Like Me
    Snow,
    Blood Sugar Sex Magic,
    Stadium Arcadium
    Soul to Squeeze,
    Tell Me Baby,
    Don't Forget Me,
    By The Way
    they encored with:
    Under The Bridge
    (Finale!! with a great intro of Public Enemy's "98" to Give It Away.. AK left the stage and John, Flea, and Chad went at it for about 5 minutes (hard!!) and then after Chad left, Flea and John got in each others face and wailed fo ranother 5 minutes. It was almost like a duel to see who could jam the fastest. The camera angles picked up some great emotion form both JOhn and Flea. Great finish to a really great sounding and tight rocking night in Phoenix.

Thanks for that - can't wait. But wow, only 14 songs? Boy are we spoiled with PJ. No Dani California? Still looking forward to it. We have floor 'seats' in Quebec, and close side in Montreal.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Deadman wrote:
    Roulette Dares
    The Widow
    Tetragrammaton
    Viscera Eyes
    Day of the Baphomets

thanks I can't wait to get the new album.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    JaneNY wrote:
    Thanks for that - can't wait. But wow, only 14 songs? Boy are we spoiled with PJ. No Dani California? Still looking forward to it. We have floor 'seats' in Quebec, and close side in Montreal.

I have to wonder if that 14 songs is an incomplete setlist or a festival show or something....I've seen many other recent Peppers setlists and they all hover around 20 songs, around 2 hours of showtime. This probably seems short to us PJ fanatics, but its more common really than what PJ does.

Some die just to live.
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    JaneNY wrote:

They played about an hour and 45 minutes here, but we did get "Dani California." It was like the 2nd song they played. MV played close to an hour...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Deadman wrote:
    Roulette Dares
    The Widow
    Tetragrammaton
    Viscera Eyes
    Day of the Baphomets

Cool! I can't wait for the new record!
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    LedZepFan wrote:
    I have to wonder if that 14 songs is an incomplete setlist or a festival show or something....I've seen many other recent Peppers setlists and they all hover around 20 songs, around 2 hours of showtime. This probably seems short to us PJ fanatics, but its more common really than what PJ does.

Oh 20 definitely is more reasonable, and yes it is more in line with what more bands do. (Though 18-20 NIN songs equals 30 of some other bands' because of intensity.) Well that's good. I can live with 20 from the RHCP ;)
  • You know, I think they did do Dani Cali, must have mis-typed. However, not more than that, they played for almost 2 hours, but not quite. And yest we are spoiled!!!! Big time!!!
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    intodeep wrote:
    thanks I can't wait to get the new album.
    You are welcome. And it is wonderful!
  • I'm going to see them tomorrow in Oakland. Anyone else from here gonna be there?
    Monika

PS. Would it be bad if I wore a PJ t-shirt?....
    It's not like it's a Red Sox and Yankees game where you're wearing the opposing team's shirt at a home game. I could be wrong but I don't think that RHCP fans and PJ fans generally hate each other that much. They are two of my favourite bands. It might be a problem at a Slayer show or an Ozzfest show. People are probably going to be more focused on the band than someone's shirt. But that's just my opinion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Didn't wear earplugs! 2nd row, it was loud!

Set list was

Scar Tissue,
    Charlie,
    Otherside
    Readymade Right on Time
    Nobody Wierd Like Me
    Snow,
    Blood Sugar Sex Magic,
    Stadium Arcadium
    Soul to Squeeze,
    Tell Me Baby,
    Don't Forget Me,
    By The Way
    they encored with:
    Under The Bridge

I'm excited! My friends and I are also bringing about 10 Beach Balls saying PLAY SOME HENDRIX!! On them. Were 20+ rows back, but maybe they'll make it to the front.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    ok, saw them last nite and they were DEAD ON!!!! I was really expecting Anthony to be off key A LOT but he was so on the money for most of the nite, I was smiling big......When we got there MV had started to play and they were so insanely loud we decided to not try to find our seats til they were done.....the Chilis really made us wait for them but it was such a spectacular and perfect show I forgave them, lol.....I didn't note the setlist but they did play Dani California, Californication, Charlie, Sir Psycho, (what a GREAT choice!!)......I loved the parts where Flea is facing John and they're just going at it.....musical bliss.......I have no complaints.....

well, the puker in the row below us........yeah, live with that aroma for the entire show......good thing it was vodka and so, not TOO terrible, but still...............