Options

Genesis

BrinkofForeverBrinkofForever Posts: 373
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Been listening to alot of older Genesis lately..more specifically pre-Abacab Genesis like Wind and Wuthering, The Lamb Lies Down..ect.

Some of it's amazingly good... especially with Steve Hackett on board.

Anyone else listen to them ever?

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Love the stuff with Gabriel on the mic.....can stomach the Phil Collins stuff up to Abacab/Three Sides Live....after that it sickens my stomach. "Selling England... and The Lamb.....are simply amazing pieces of work.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Love the stuff with Gabriel on the mic.....can stomach the Phil Collins stuff up to Abacab/Three Sides Live....after that it sickens my stomach. "Selling England... and The Lamb.....are simply amazing pieces of work.

I agree with everything here. I even like the self titled album a bit. Invisible Touch is no good.

One for the vine is an amazing song
  • Options
    wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    Been listening to a WHOLE LOT of old Genesis lately...my wife got me Lamb for Christmas and I downloaded a bunch of tunes...almost everything with Peter Gabriel was incredible and the stuff with Phil is on par with that until Abacab...Duke is simply amazing, by the way...

I wish that the wider world knew about Genesis apart from their cheesy, chart-ruling days...
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • Options
    luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    wcsmith wrote:
    Been listening to a WHOLE LOT of old Genesis lately...my wife got me Lamb for Christmas and I downloaded a bunch of tunes...almost everything with Peter Gabriel was incredible and the stuff with Phil is on par with that until Abacab...Duke is simply amazing, by the way...

I wish that the wider world knew about Genesis apart from their cheesy, chart-ruling days...

Like it was said before the older stuff with P.Gabriel was really brilliant and real pieces of music. But I am not agreeing with the thing with P. Collins. Even that there were songs which "ruled the charts" they made really good music. I have just to name "Land of Confusion"...one of the best songs ever made by Genesis. ( by the way I even think that We can't dance had good titles on it like "No son of mine" or "Jesus he knows me ")
    Fact is that I was growing up with those Music, lived at my grandmas house and found the old genesis tapes from my uncle. I was 7 years old, couldn't speak English but I was singing with them...good memories and good music :)
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    i believe I heard a rap over of the air in the night melody the other day. :(
  • Options
    wcsmith wrote:
    Duke is simply amazing, by the way...
    I feel that way about "Three Sides Live"......IMHO one of the best live albums ever. The box set/archive with live stuff from the Gabriel era, including a complete live version of "The Lamb..." is simply fantastic....the sound quality is amazing. :p
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    I listen to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway all the time....love it
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 773
    "Firth of Fifth" live is my favourite.

q
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    I feel that way about "Three Sides Live"......IMHO one of the best live albums ever. The box set/archive with live stuff from the Gabriel era, including a complete live version of "The Lamb..." is simply fantastic....the sound quality is amazing. :p
    That was the first Genesis live album I ever heard. "In the Cage" and the melody following that song just blew me away...especially when the whole Tony Banks keyboard riff starts churning and the whole thing speeds up. I actually like Collins singing that song vs. Gabriel.

Although I'm not keen on spending $190 to see them in concert this fall. Um no.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Options
    "Firth of Fifth" live is my favourite.

q
    Great live version on the archive #1 box set.........with Peter on lead.
  • Options
    Brink wrote:
    That was the first Genesis live album I ever heard. "In the Cage" and the melody following that song just blew me away...especially when the whole Tony Banks keyboard riff starts churning and the whole thing speeds up. I actually like Collins singing that song vs. Gabriel.

Although I'm not keen on spending $190 to see them in concert this fall. Um no.
    I have come to love both Peter and Phil singing that song....each brings a little something different to the table.

I would spend that kind of loot to see them if Peter & Steve were both with them.....and we had a signed contract that no Phil Collins solo material would be played. :D
  • Options
    cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are a couple of my faves.

'It's one o'clock and time for lunch. Dum dee dum dee dum.'
  • Options
    love lamb lies down the best and everything gabriel did...abacab is pretty good too it's the only p.collins one i can handle though.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,071
    Going to revive this thread since they are touring again and prices for tix are really high.

Needless to say I will not be attending.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517
    The Gabriel stuff was stronger, no doubt... But I can't hate on '80s Genesis having grown up on it... The first tape I ever bought w/ my own money was a Phil Collins solo probably in the spring of '87, and Genesis was my first concert in the spring of '92 at 15 years old. (birthday gift from my older brother) 

Domino was unreal that night. 

I haven't listened in a long, long time, but they'll always be one of my favorites. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,290
    I also missed the boat on the Peter Gabriel era of Genesis, so my exposure was to the Phil Collins era (and his solo stuff).   I like a fair amount of it.

No shows around me though.  I also don't know if I could warrant the ticket price plus travel/hotel... Covid's not even over, and the impact of ticket prices is creeping back in :(
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,071
    Zod said:
    I also missed the boat on the Peter Gabriel era of Genesis, so my exposure was to the Phil Collins era (and his solo stuff).   I like a fair amount of it.

No shows around me though.  I also don't know if I could warrant the ticket price plus travel/hotel... Covid's not even over, and the impact of ticket prices is creeping back in :(
    They're trying to make up for lost revenue.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,255
    Going to revive this thread since they are touring again and prices for tix are really high.

Needless to say I will not be attending.
    Prices are whacked.
    And Phil is confined to a chair.
    Pass.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,522
    That is a lot of money to see them. I will skip this one.
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,310
    I can't justify $200+ for bad seats.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    More like Gene$i$, featuring Phil Collin$ and Tony Bank$.
  • Options
    Ha,
    They (stupidly) added a 2nd Boston show, presale going on now and tons of tix available. 
    Dynamic pricing has them way lower than the night before. Balcony seats which they sold for $250.50 for 12/15 selling for $80.50 for 12/16.
    Market totally flooded.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,940
    Poncier said:
    Ha,
    They (stupidly) added a 2nd Boston show, presale going on now and tons of tix available. 
    Dynamic pricing has them way lower than the night before. Balcony seats which they sold for $250.50 for 12/15 selling for $80.50 for 12/16.
    Market totally flooded.
    Do you need a password?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517
    Poncier said:
    Ha,
    Market totally flooded.
    If tickets are stupid cheap that week, I could see myself grabbing one & going in for part of the show. This would be the only scenario in which I could see myself going though... God knows they won't be as good as they were 30 years ago. 

All things considered, It could be the last time Genesis ever performs. 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Poncier said:
    Ha,
    Market totally flooded.
    Do you need a password?
    Password is Tonight
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Ha,
    Market totally flooded.
    If tickets are stupid cheap that week, I could see myself grabbing one & going in for part of the show. This would be the only scenario in which I could see myself going though... God knows they won't be as good as they were 30 years ago. 

All things considered, It could be the last time Genesis ever performs. 
    Yeah I'm basically going to wait till December and make a decision then.
    Think there will be plenty of available tix unless they cancel the 2nd show.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    Poncier said:
    Ha,
    Market totally flooded.
    Do you need a password?
    Password is Tonight
    Thanks!

• Options
    Those balcony seats are back up to $155. Too much for me for Genesis. 

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    Those balcony seats are back up to $155. Too much for me for Genesis. 
    Opposite end balconies (sections 305 through 312) are $80.50.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262