the WHO

EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
edited October 2006 in Other Music
so I went to the WHO last night in Calgary and it was everything I thought it would be. I had 14th row on the floor and it seemed a lot closer.. I had a perfect view of Pete and Roger.. dead centre and man can they still do it.
I especially like Pin Ball Wizard and Teenage Wasteland. What an amazing night. Anyone else go from here? I noticed a few PJ t shirts and a couple Tom Petty ones
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I saw the Who at the Pontiac Silverdome in 1989. I scalped tickets for $100 to get second row. Also, I bought the rock opera "Tommy" in about 2000. I sold it back because the Uncle Ernie song, although short, was kindof intense for a recovering crisis counselor.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • I was there! It was more than I thought it would be...I had no idea what to expect actually. My friend and I were sitting in section 220, but it didn't feel like it! The energy was great, the sound was amazing (best sounding concert I've ever been to at the Saddledome), I loved the stage set... I think I might buy the bootleg/DVD. All the songs sounded great! My favorite part of the show was the encore-- Pinball Wizard was definitely the best song of the night!
  • I saw them last Saturday in London 13th row dead centre. It was surreal, sublime, and it rocked. Looking foward to The Who in Toronto in December. I have 8th row!

q
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    I saw them last Saturday in London 13th row dead centre. It was surreal, sublime, and it rocked. Looking foward to The Who in Toronto in December. I have 8th row!

q

i'm so jealous. i've never seen them. i hope to one day!! glad to see so much love for the who on here.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I'm finally going November 17th 2006! I cannot wait! :D The set they have chosen for the tour looks awesome. Oh yeah, the "Teenage Wasteland" song is known as Baba O' Riley and this one is awesome live, it sounds just like the studio. Pete and Roger are amazing musicians.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Saw them first show of the NA tour in Philly. Great show, amazing energy and was really happy with the new music. Actually got my vinyl copy of Tommy today, repressed from the original masters :D Can't wait to go home and listen to it tonite.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    TONIGHT!

Never heard of the opening band, but, oh well. And it's unfortunate that the copy of Wire and Glass that I ordered from Amazon A MONTH AGO didn't arrive in time for me to get to know the new mini-opera prior the show. I really wanted to hear it beforehand.
  • I caught the Calgary show and loved it! I grew up listening to them thanks to my Mom. She got a chance to hang with them in the 60's when they played in Winnipeg.
    The Energy in the Dome was incredible especially during Baba. Totally glad I dished out the cash for this one.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Saw them at the second MSG show. It was fucking awesome. They still rock out so hard. One of my favorite songs was Eminence Front. I had never heard it before but after the song my dad and I looked at each other and were like, that was fucking amazing.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    Saw them at the second MSG show. It was fucking awesome. They still rock out so hard. One of my favorite songs was Eminence Front. I had never heard it before but after the song my dad and I looked at each other and were like, that was fucking amazing.

I was at this show w/my dad. Couldn't bring any pot but I had a couple beers. I got the Bravado Merchandising Limited Edition poster..I got 2 numbered prints...699/1000 and 397/1000. I wonder how much they're going to be worth since they only have about 75/venue. I also ordered the 2CD/DVD package from themusic.com
    Great show, great energy, great fans...only in MSG
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    rockpants wrote:
    TONIGHT!

Never heard of the opening band, but, oh well. And it's unfortunate that the copy of Wire and Glass that I ordered from Amazon A MONTH AGO didn't arrive in time for me to get to know the new mini-opera prior the show. I really wanted to hear it beforehand.

I read that WIRE AND GLASS doesn't come out until OCT. 31?
    cutz wrote:
    I read that WIRE AND GLASS doesn't come out until OCT. 31?

The mini-opera, Wire and Glass, was released separately awhile ago, but only in the UK - the whole album, Endless Wire, is out on the 31st although Pete said tonight that it was coming out on the 13th, but he likely got that mixed up. Old coot! ;)
  • Did they play Boris the Spider?
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
    cookie5798 wrote:
    Did they play Boris the Spider?

Nope. Here's the setlist:

I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Fragments, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, Baba O'Riley, My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me, Tea And Theatre
  • lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    rockpants wrote:
    The mini-opera, Wire and Glass, was released separately awhile ago, but only in the UK - the whole album, Endless Wire, is out on the 31st although Pete said tonight that it was coming out on the 13th, but he likely got that mixed up. Old coot! ;)

I think Wire & Glass is scheduled for an Oct 13 release in the US (its a Friday so its a bit off the Tuesday release schedule if its right), and then Endless Wire on the 31st.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    rockpants wrote:
    Nope. Here's the setlist:

I Can't Explain, The Seeker, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Fragments, Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Sound Round, Pick Up The Peace, Endless Wire, We Got A Hit, Baba O'Riley, My Generation, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me, Tea And Theatre
    thats a great list man!
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • Bob WeirBob Weir Posts: 850
    They should go on tour with Plant and Page and call it the "At least half of us are still here tour"

..just kidding, glad someone good is still touring, The Who has some pretty good (lesser known) opening bands this tour, thats cool.
    I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772
    rockpants wrote:

Old coot is right>HAHA. I guess Pete is getting dislexic?HAHA 13-31
  • EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    what was the name of the opening band in Calgary ? I didn't quite hear it.. it's 3 brothers and they were amazing.. I really really enjoyed them and they captivated the crowd, or at least on the floor they did. Any help with that would be great.. I'd like to buy their music.
    peace
  • I don't think they will play Boris the Spider anymore since John Entwistle is dead.
    cookie5798 wrote:
    Did they play Boris the Spider?
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    I saw the Who in Winnipeg. They need to give up
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
    Earthgirl wrote:
    what was the name of the opening band in Calgary ? I didn't quite hear it.. it's 3 brothers and they were amazing.. I really really enjoyed them and they captivated the crowd, or at least on the floor they did. Any help with that would be great.. I'd like to buy their music.
    peace

Inward Eye. They buy pot from the same guy I do. Their drummer is a cool guy, but the other two are already developing their rock star egos. Those guys will be huge one day though. I dont perticularily like their music, but that stuff is gold for radio play/album sales.
  • robis726robis726 Posts: 132
    red mos wrote:
    I'm finally going November 17th 2006! I cannot wait! :D The set they have chosen for the tour looks awesome. Oh yeah, the "Teenage Wasteland" song is known as Baba O' Riley and this one is awesome live, it sounds just like the studio. Pete and Roger are amazing musicians.
    I will be at that show also Red Mos...cant wait.
    Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there...

Austin, Texas 09-16-1995
    Columbia, Maryland 09-04-2000
    San Antonio, Texas 04-05-2003
    Santa Barbara, California 07-13-2006
    Universal City, California 10-01-2009
    Austin, Texas 10-04-2009
    Dallas, Texas 11-15-2013
    Mexico City, Mexico 11-28-2015
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 04-08-2016
    Miami, Florida 04-09-2016
    Chicago, Illinois I 08-20-2016
    Chicago, Illinois II 08-22-2016
    Seattle, Washington I 08-08-2018
    Seattle, Washington II 08-10-2018
    Boston, Massachusets I 09-02-2018
    Austin, Texas 09-18-2023
    ediger wrote:
    Inward Eye. They buy pot from the same guy I do. Their drummer is a cool guy, but the other two are already developing their rock star egos. Those guys will be huge one day though. I dont perticularily like their music, but that stuff is gold for radio play/album sales.

I love Inward Eye ! and what made you say the WHO should give up? I thought they played amazing for thier age and how long they've been around.
    The WHO is the WHO, how can you go wrong.
    Earthgirl wrote:
    I love Inward Eye ! and what made you say the WHO should give up? I thought they played amazing for thier age and how long they've been around.
    The WHO is the WHO, how can you go wrong.

Musically, it was a great show. I just dont think they have aged very gracefully. Seeing Townshend and Daltrey doing the exact same stuff they were doing in 1969 doesnt do it for me. Something about a 60 year old man swinging a microphone around like hes 22. Plus, I was very disappointed in Roger Daltreys voice. The new music was pretty mediocre and I though Wire and Glass was boring and really didnt go anywhere.

Other than that, I was happy to hear The Who classics I thought I'd never get to see, I just wish it would have been Roger and Pete preforming naturally on stage, not CONSTANTLY trying to work the crowd with the windmill picking, mic swinging, etc. It just seems to forced

I could talk about the ticket prices, but thats something else all together.
  • PJ PookPJ Pook Posts: 109
    Bob Weir wrote:
    They should go on tour with Plant and Page and call it the "At least half of us are still here tour"

..just kidding, glad someone good is still touring, The Who has some pretty good (lesser known) opening bands this tour, thats cool.

I saw The Who a few years back with Robert Plant opening, does that count?

I saw them in London on Sept. 30 and thought they were still pretty damn good. Rogers voice can't quite hit all the notes but they still rock!
    ediger wrote:
    Musically, it was a great show. I just dont think they have aged very gracefully. Seeing Townshend and Daltrey doing the exact same stuff they were doing in 1969 doesnt do it for me. Something about a 60 year old man swinging a microphone around like hes 22. Plus, I was very disappointed in Roger Daltreys voice. The new music was pretty mediocre and I though Wire and Glass was boring and really didnt go anywhere.

Other than that, I was happy to hear The Who classics I thought I'd never get to see, I just wish it would have been Roger and Pete preforming naturally on stage, not CONSTANTLY trying to work the crowd with the windmill picking, mic swinging, etc. It just seems to forced

I could talk about the ticket prices, but thats something else all together.

why did you bother going then? I mean.. since you already know how old they are and it seems like you were expecting what you got. Just my opinion on what I read. I find it hard to be a critic to a band that I've idolized since my early teens, I was just happy to be there and to see Pete and Roger play together, it was such a surreal night.
    Earthgirl wrote:
    why did you bother going then? I mean.. since you already know how old they are and it seems like you were expecting what you got. Just my opinion on what I read. I find it hard to be a critic to a band that I've idolized since my early teens, I was just happy to be there and to see Pete and Roger play together, it was such a surreal night.

I went because I wanted to see some good music and some good guitar playing, being a guitarist myself (I will never EVER take anything away from Pete's guitar playing, simply wow), but left feeling somewhat underwhelmed. Thats all
    ediger wrote:
    I went because I wanted to see some good music and some good guitar playing, being a guitarist myself (I will never EVER take anything away from Pete's guitar playing, simply wow), but left feeling somewhat underwhelmed. Thats all

cool.. I understand. :)
    Earthgirl wrote:
    cool.. I understand. :)

right on :)

I hate trying to explain myself on the internet, it just doesnt work