GN'R Cancel Another Show

2»

Comments

• floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    holtz wrote:
    This is seriously sad how much attention people are giving this, they played one show and weren't a good match, who cares, get on with your lives. Also I'd like to add that Helmet have replaced EODM and I'm way happier about seeing them.

Helmet may be a better match and may be able to carry the larger venue a little bit better.
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    The illness is BS. The real reason the Milwaukee show was cancelled was because of poor ticket sales. The Bradley Center holds around 20,000 for a concert. 1 week before the show I could have gone through TM and got 8 tickets together in row B one section away from the stage. A guy I work with works for Clear Channel and works security for Bradley Center shows. He said they had only sold around 4,000 tickets. Also a radio station was offering the $50 tickets for $20.

Personally, I did have tickets to the show and was pissed it was cancelled. I understand why it was cancelled but think it was handled horribly. I have to believe they knew well before the day before the show Milwaukee was going to be cancelled. They should have cancelled the Milwaukee show the week before so fans who wanted to could have gone to the Chicago show Monday night, but since the cancellation was not announced until after the Chicago show Milwaukee fans were screwed, unless they wanted to travel 5 -6 hours to go to MN or Iowa. They also could have just moved the show to a smaller venue in Milwaukee (US Cellular Arena). STP did this a few years ago when they moved from the US Cellular Arena to the Milwaukee Auditorium. Instead they wait till the last minute and screw over the Milwaukee fans.

To me the whole thing is a bunch of BS and it's all on Axl. They could have done something for the fans (like Pearl Jam would do) so they can see a show. If GNR ever comes back to Milwaukee (I doubt they will) I won't be going. Screw Axl.

Just for the record I do, did like GNR, but never more than Pearl Jam. They never were better than Pearl Jam and they never will be.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • pureoc wrote:
    The illness is BS. The real reason the Milwaukee show was cancelled was because of poor ticket sales. The Bradley Center holds around 20,000 for a concert. 1 week before the show I could have gone through TM and got 8 tickets together in row B one section away from the stage. A guy I work with works for Clear Channel and works security for Bradley Center shows. He said they had only sold around 4,000 tickets. Also a radio station was offering the $50 tickets for $20.

Personally, I did have tickets to the show and was pissed it was cancelled. I understand why it was cancelled but think it was handled horribly. I have to believe they knew well before the day before the show Milwaukee was going to be cancelled. They should have cancelled the Milwaukee show the week before so fans who wanted to could have gone to the Chicago show Monday night, but since the cancellation was not announced until after the Chicago show Milwaukee fans were screwed, unless they wanted to travel 5 -6 hours to go to MN or Iowa. They also could have just moved the show to a smaller venue in Milwaukee (US Cellular Arena). STP did this a few years ago when they moved from the US Cellular Arena to the Milwaukee Auditorium. Instead they wait till the last minute and screw over the Milwaukee fans.

To me the whole thing is a bunch of BS and it's all on Axl. They could have done something for the fans (like Pearl Jam would do) so they can see a show. If GNR ever comes back to Milwaukee (I doubt they will) I won't be going. Screw Axl.

Just for the record I do, did like GNR, but never more than Pearl Jam. They never were better than Pearl Jam and they never will be.
    We really take for granted all the things Pj do for us sometimes don't we?
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    We really take for granted all the things Pj do for us sometimes don't we?

Damn right. Their's a reason why they are my favorite band. While it'd be nice to see other bands be as generous to their fans, it's also kind of nice other's aren't cause it really makes PJ stand out above the rest.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    this Death Metal sound like shit and good on axl for saying his piece rather than being another ass-licker, fuck josh homme and his 3chords
  • http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061202/NEWS/61202001

More proof Axl is an idiot. Took the stage at 12:30? No respect for the fans. What an egotistical has-been maniac. Fucking ruined one the best bands in rock.
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    pureoc wrote:

THey have played shows were there were only a couple thousand in a an arena, they just played Mpls last night where tickets were dropped down to the same prices as those you mention in Milwaukee, that doesn't mean much. I saw Axl last night and he was on stage blowing his nose and people have mentioned that for a couple of weeks so he obviously has had a cold, it sucks they cancelled but its not always due to ticket sales.
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061202/NEWS/61202001

More proof Axl is an idiot. Took the stage at 12:30? No respect for the fans. What an egotistical has-been maniac. Fucking ruined one the best bands in rock.

They were stuck in Chicago and couldn't fly to Ames so they had to take a bus and it ended up taking 12 hours because of the storm that had just hit the midwest, maybe you should try and find out the reason before complaining so much. I just saw the band last night in Mpls and they were awesome and everyone there was having a great time, I saw the old band and this was just as good if not better of a concert.
  • gillisgillis Posts: 17
    Well, it's a good thing they wouldn't let you smoke if you were going to go straight to work, now wasn't it?

It's weed not crack
    PJ
  • pureoc wrote:
    Damn right. Their's a reason why they are my favorite band. While it'd be nice to see other bands be as generous to their fans, it's also kind of nice other's aren't cause it really makes PJ stand out above the rest.

Indeed. Pearl Jam is definitely good to us. Bands like GnR, Tool, etc. couldn't give a rat's ass for the most part. I think this is also why Pearl Jam continues to be at the top of my list (along with NIN). I won't always like their new album, but I know they'll always put on a great show because they care about their fanbase.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    zstillings wrote:
    Helmet may be a better match and may be able to carry the larger venue a little bit better.

Helmet is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a terrible mix with Bach and GnR. Just awful. Helmet sounds liek 1 long, bad Metallica song to me.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,356
    gillis wrote:
    It's weed not crack

Kinda depends on what you do for a living if this is an issue or not. Also depends on your company policy.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Helmet is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a terrible mix with Bach and GnR. Just awful. Helmet sounds liek 1 long, bad Metallica song to me.

Still a better fit in such a large arena than the Eagles of Death Metal were.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    zstillings wrote:
    Still a better fit in such a large arena than the Eagles of Death Metal were.

Regarding the whole "pigeons of shit metal" thing... that was really a classless thing to do just to get the people in the crowd on your side.

For some contrast... I was listening to a Soundgarden boot from Chicago the other night and before My Wave started, Chris dedicated that song to the opening band. Apparently the audience was booing the opening band the whole time, but Chris basically said that the opening band had SOUL and that he thought Chicago was a city that was supposed to respect that. So he basically did a big "shame on you" to the whole audience. Some people in the crowd probably didn't like him too much for it, but I think it was awesome of him to do what's right, even if it's at the cost of the arena liking you.

That's the difference between Axl and other musicians.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    Regarding the whole "pigeons of shit metal" thing... that was really a classless thing to do just to get the people in the crowd on your side.

For some contrast... I was listening to a Soundgarden boot from Chicago the other night and before My Wave started, Chris dedicated that song to the opening band. Apparently the audience was booing the opening band the whole time, but Chris basically said that the opening band had SOUL and that he thought Chicago was a city that was supposed to respect that. So he basically did a big "shame on you" to the whole audience. Some people in the crowd probably didn't like him too much for it, but I think it was awesome of him to do what's right, even if it's at the cost of the arena liking you.

I was at a Smashing Pumpkins show in 93 where Corgan did something similar. He actually told the crowd pretty much to fuck off and get some taste before bringing the opening band back out to do the encore. He went and played drums on their songs for it.
  • zstillings wrote:
    I was at a Smashing Pumpkins show in 93 where Corgan did something similar. He actually told the crowd pretty much to fuck off and get some taste before bringing the opening band back out to do the encore. He went and played drums on their songs for it.

in an LA show in 98 ed got pissed at the crowd for treating the opening band (which i think was X). Pretty awesome.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    in an LA show in 98 ed got pissed at the crowd for treating the opening band (which i think was X). Pretty awesome.

I grew up listening to X, so I was thrilled when they were announced as the support act. I was 3rd row on the floor, and I was the only one standing for their entire set....an act of loyalty!
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    zstillings wrote:

This wasn't when they were touring with Swervedriver was it?

because that band was amazing and I know they were touring together in 93
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    This wasn't when they were touring with Swervedriver was it?

because that band was amazing and I know they were touring together in 93

I'm pretty sure the opening band was Shudder to Think. They weren't that horrible, just very screechy.

I was at one of the LA shows with X. I don't remember too much about the crowd during the openers. Those were also the ones with Tenacious D, weren't they?
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    zstillings wrote:
    Those were also the ones with Tenacious D, weren't they?

yup.. when they were tiny.. I remember five horizons referring to them as "funny fat doods with guitars" back then
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    DOSW wrote:

I kinda like axls attitude, his lack of social etiquette. Perhaps he also thought the openers were shit.When I saw gnr back in 93, he didnt seem to want the audience on side: referring to us all as fuckers and seemingly wishing to become involved in slanging matches with people at the front. Think that Corgan is just a pretentious shit
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    In other news...

"Internet Guns N' Roses fans are so sick of misinformation surrounding the release of the group's long-awaited new album 'Chinese Democracy, they've gone on strike"

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=135621668&p=y356zzy37&n=135622167&x=
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    elmer wrote:
    I kinda like axls attitude, his lack of social etiquette. Perhaps he also thought the openers were shit.When I saw gnr back in 93, he didnt seem to want the audience on side: referring to us all as fuckers and seemingly wishing to become involved in slanging matches with people at the front. Think that Corgan is just a pretentious shit

You wouldn't have a band that you thought was shit open for you. Corgan, Cornell, and Vedder all did the RIGHT thing- stand up for what they believed in even if it was at the cost of some of the audience disliking you. It's great that he likes his audience again, but I don't see how you can defend pandering to the crowd at the cost of your integrity.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    You wouldn't have a band that you thought was shit open for you. Corgan, Cornell, and Vedder all did the RIGHT thing- stand up for what they believed in even if it was at the cost of some of the audience disliking you. It's great that he likes his audience again, but I don't see how you can defend pandering to the crowd at the cost of your integrity.

Axl didn't choose EODM to open for him, supposedly the record company wanted them added to the bill. I don't think insulting them onstage was cool but way, way too much has been made of the whole thing.
  • Is Axl Rose still wearing that gay red sweat band round his head?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Is Axl Rose still wearing that gay red sweat band round his head?
    . . . to cover his balding head?