Options

Binaural is a fuckin' masterpiece...

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Just listening to Grievance very loud right now.....

man, this album is just sex for the ears.....
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    bring it awwwwn :p
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    i agree man. hey, if you like the "binaural" sound, you really owe it to yourself to go pick up the first Finn Brothers record.

binaural is a total trip with the right headphones.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    i agree man. hey, if you like the "binaural" sound, you really owe it to yourself to go pick up the first Finn Brothers record.

binaural is a total trip with the right headphones.

Agree about the headphones.....there so much depth to this record.....

Yeah, I'll have to check out some Finn Brother material, my girlfriend was listening to some Tim's solo stuff the other night, I really need to explore their solo stuff.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149
    Agree about the headphones.....there so much depth to this record.....

Yeah, I'll have to check out some Finn Brother material, my girlfriend was listening to some Tim's solo stuff the other night, I really need to explore their solo stuff.....

i feel like their singing in my ears or that they are right there in the room. it is seriously one of the best recorded records i've heard. there are so many things going on in both records that you pick up with that 360 degree sound.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Check out SACD and DVD-A recordings. If you think binaural recordings sound good, you've got another thing coming...
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Binaural = PJ gold
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    mmmmm binaural.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    definitely one of my favorites.
  • Options
    Love it (by the way). I'd put it in my top, oh, 8 studio PJ albums.
  • Options
    Binaural = PJ gold
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007

Ear sex? You're weird dude..... ;)

Btw I Love Binaural :D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,567
    I Agree...

I didnt really get into the studio version of grievance but after listening to the faster live versions i have to say this is now one of my top PJ tunes
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    Ear sex? You're weird dude..... ;)

Btw I Love Binaural :D

hahaha its all about the ear sex :D well, with this album at least :D
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I've said it before, Binaural is "musically speaking" Pearl Jam's best work to date.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736

haha thats an interesting way to put it! :D
    I must admit, i havnt heard binaural in quite a while. it time to. :)
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    haha thats an interesting way to put it! :D
    I must admit, i havnt heard binaural in quite a while. it time to. :)

Yeah, throw it on and listen to the master solo his ass off on Nothing As It Seems :)
  • Options
    Yeah, throw it on and listen to the master solo his ass off on Nothing As It Seems :)

NAIS = one of PJ's finest moments
  • Options
    Gunner_VGunner_V Posts: 230
    BinFrog wrote:

just listening :D
    great song,one of my favorites!

i also like whole album :D
    binaural>>>FTW!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    BinFrog wrote:
    Check out SACD and DVD-A recordings. If you think binaural recordings sound good, you've got another thing coming...

Yo...I have been trying to do some research on these....are they really worth it? I have Sennheiser headphones and a Pioneer Elite Receiver that make regular music CD's sound like music on the greatest drug of all time....you can hear every layer at the same time and nothing gets mixed in....I cannot describe it.

Anyway, I was wondering if a SACD would be even better, and, if so, how do I get started???? ARe there any PJ albums in SA ??
  • Options
    Ahhh, I remember when the album came out I tried and tried to like it, but it just wasn't happening. Then i picked up a couple of the Euro boots the day they came out and was blown away by how incredible those song were live. It didn't take long to go back and begin to really appreciate the studio cuts...but to this day i still prefer all these song live more than any other album's.

I think Insignificance and (especially) Grievance really benefit the most being played live as they just seem to f'ing explode.
  • Options
    Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    much better live than on CD. Still not one of my fav's though....except parting ways and breakerfall and light years and soon forget and.......shit, I guess I do like this album.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:

Indeed it is..... great great song
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    I've said it before, Binaural is "musically speaking" Pearl Jam's best work to date.

yep
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,736
    I don't think the harder songs sound very good on the album; Grievance, Insignificance, God's Dice.... I think those songs are "held back" by this Binaural recording technique. on the contrary I think that NAIS, Parting Ways, Of the Girl, and Sleight of Hand sound beautiful in the studio....though I actually prefer live versions of NAIS and Of the Girl.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Tackalac wrote:
    Yo...I have been trying to do some research on these....are they really worth it? I have Sennheiser headphones and a Pioneer Elite Receiver that make regular music CD's sound like music on the greatest drug of all time....you can hear every layer at the same time and nothing gets mixed in....I cannot describe it.

Anyway, I was wondering if a SACD would be even better, and, if so, how do I get started???? ARe there any PJ albums in SA ??

Unfortunately, the closest thing there is to a PJ SACD is Eddie appearing on a couple of songs on the Who's "Live At The Royal Albert Hall". However, it is a phenomenal sounding live disc and is worth getting.

I am a super audio nut (as well as DVD-Audio). Obviously there are some that sound better than others, but the right recording will absolutely blow your mind. I've been into both formats for about 4 years now, and still every once in a while I will be in utter amazement while listening. I demo stuff for people all the time, and even people who claim to not have a good ear or people who are not passionate about music will instantly perk up when I play one of the best that I have. When I find out what people like and what their style is, I immediately know which 2-3 discs to start with. It's like a game to me: getting people hooked on hi-fi discs.
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    I love Binaural. Rival and Grievance are the best songs to blast.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    ashtrayrockashtrayrock Posts: 167
    um

sleight

of

hand

hullo !
    For Those About To Rock !

Art changes people. People change the world.
  • Options
    the first time i listened to Binaural all the way through i wasnt that big of a fan

second time i liked it a bit more

now that ive listened to every dont god knows how many times i truly believe its one of their best albums from a musical perspective.
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,945
    has been my fav for years now. love it!! never forget ripping open the celleophane in the mall and putting it on in the car and breakerfall blew me away.

gods dice rocks. i think we will see the return of NAIS to the sets this summer. we better, its such a shame theyve been leaving that one out.

not all the songs were recorded using the binaural technique, but if i remember its :

NAIS
    rival
    sleight of hand
    of the girl
    soon forget

i differ from most when it comes to the tracklisting too, i love it the way it is. lots of people use the lost dogs songs and redo the tracklistings and stuff, not for me. i dont think Tchad blake ruined anything.

i feel like an idiot for binaural being the only studio album i dont own on vinyl. :(
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    WEAPONX24WEAPONX24 Posts: 131
    i dont know guys...im not that big of fan of binaural...