edited March 2006 in Other Music
Will it happen?
Get over here!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    On the same year as Rush!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Alice in Chains were a good band, but Hall of Fame material?? I think not.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    mtildenmtilden Posts: 62
    direwolf74 wrote:

And Blondie is?

They'll get in easily.
    "Go fuck yourself"
    -Dick Cheney

"Are you taking over or are you taking orders"
    -Joe Strummer 1952-2002

"All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
    -George Orwell
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    it is already a joke, so why not?

(PS Blondie contributed more to music than AiC ever did. I like AiC more but there really isn't a comparison)
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    ms11781ms11781 Posts: 88
    Echoes wrote:
    it is already a joke, so why not?

(PS Blondie contributed more to music than AiC ever did. I like AiC more but there really isn't a comparison)

Agree with everything you said, but as bad as the process is, AIC still doesn't come close to getting in.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    direwolf74 wrote:

sorry buddy, but aic are just aesome
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    mtilden wrote:
    And Blondie is?

They'll get in easily.

Blondie was innovative in the 70s/80s, and had a much longer career.

AIC was a good band, but did they really do anything that original?
  • Options
    solat1973solat1973 Posts: 131
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Bro you out of ur mind name one band today that can write a record like jar of
    flies.. AH NOBODY...AIC lyrics alone will blow you away dude befor you write
    something think.....
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    we will find out in 9-10 years...it's abit too early to be talking aboot AIC in the hall of fame really
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    solat1973 wrote:
    Bro you out of ur mind name one band today that can write a record like jar of
    flies.. AH NOBODY...AIC lyrics alone will blow you away dude befor you write
    something think.....

But that is only 1 record you are citing.....you may like them, which I respect, but did they do anything to change music?

The short-timers that make the HOF usually had a lasting effect, such as the Sex Pistols.

And, BRO, if you feel you have the right to tell me to think before I write something, I will tell you to check your spelling, grammar and punctuation before YOU write something, DUDE!

:)
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    They've inspired numerous artists, and have connected with millions of fans...yeah, they'll get in eventually.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    DeadermanDeaderman Posts: 49
    They've made as big an impact as Nirvana, so if Nirvana gets in, so should Alice.
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • Options
    drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    One of the greatest bands of the '90s. Why wouldn't they be in? Rage, PJ, AIC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead will all be in.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    "One of my favourite" is not always "One of the Greatest." While a large number of those bands whill probably get in, I don't think AiC will (I don't think Soundgarden should, either)
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    ms11781ms11781 Posts: 88
    drew0 wrote:
    One of the greatest bands of the '90s. Why wouldn't they be in? Rage, PJ, AIC, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead will all be in.

Just because they were good in their era does not mean they will get in the Hall Of Fame. While I agree with you because I personally think they are one of the greatest band of the 90's, when you look at music as a whole, they will be considered as very good in their genre as far as the HOF voters are concerned. Nirvana is a lock to get in, first ballot. Pearl Jam is a close second and every day they are together helps because longevity counts for something. They should be first ballot but the HOF voters don't do things like you think they would. By then, Nirvana will already have ushered "grunge" into the Hall 2 years earlier and inexplicably, sometimes it takes the voters a little while to recognize the other bands that helped along the way. Radiohead is a possibility due to the experimentation they have brought to their music, but I think they need to add a bit more to the resume. My personal view is that RATM should get in because, let's face it, rap/rock is now considered a genre of music and while they are not pioneers, they are the only ones who have done it right. Still, they will not get in. AIC, Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins have zero chance. While the music is outstanding, they haven't brought anything groundbreaking to the table. As far as the history of music, they are merely good rock bands. If there was a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for only bands that came out in the 90's, all those bands you named would undoubtedly be in.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    ms11781 wrote:
    Just because they were good in their era does not mean they will get in the Hall Of Fame. While I agree with you because I personally think they are one of the greatest band of the 90's, when you look at music as a whole, they will be considered as very good in their genre as far as the HOF voters are concerned. Nirvana is a lock to get in, first ballot. Pearl Jam is a close second and every day they are together helps because longevity counts for something. They should be first ballot but the HOF voters don't do things like you think they would. By then, Nirvana will already have ushered "grunge" into the Hall 2 years earlier and inexplicably, sometimes it takes the voters a little while to recognize the other bands that helped along the way. Radiohead is a possibility due to the experimentation they have brought to their music, but I think they need to add a bit more to the resume. My personal view is that RATM should get in because, let's face it, rap/rock is now considered a genre of music and while they are not pioneers, they are the only ones who have done it right. Still, they will not get in. AIC, Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins have zero chance. While the music is outstanding, they haven't brought anything groundbreaking to the table. As far as the history of music, they are merely good rock bands. If there was a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for only bands that came out in the 90's, all those bands you named would undoubtedly be in.

Thanks for saving me the time to write all that.

Deaderman wrote:
    They've made as big an impact as Nirvana, so if Nirvana gets in, so should Alice.

As tempting as it is to just call you an idiot for making that statement I will hold off. The idea that anyone of the from the early nineties had even a fraction of the effect that Nirvana is retarted. That's like equating Led Zep with Spinal Tap becasue Nirvana is on teh Led Zep level kids whether you like 'em or not you have to admit it and if anyone flames me with Zeppelin being awesome bullshit step off cause I own all thier records and yes I know they were great but in the grand scheme of things what Nirvana did cannot be overstated. If for nothing other then killing hair metal, not mention being the band that threw the spotlight on "alternative" music, all these bands like the pixies and Dinosaur Jr. who are held in such regard today simply would not be the mildy household names they are if not for Nirvana, Nirvana's in the hall, Pearl Jam is a maybe but it will be for thier stand on ticketmaster and the boots more then the music-not that they don't deserve because of the music but that's not why they'll get in. I can see RATM and maybe teh Peppers but really guys AIC? sorry they just didn't have the impact and on top of that some of thier stuff sounds dated something that has yet to, and probably will not in the near future, happen to In Utero.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    First off, if you're going to do something, do it and don't just halfass it. As for the outdated comment, I'm not sure if the HOF council will agree with your opinion, but we'll all see won't we? And thanks for reminding me why Kurt turns over in his grave with fans like you.
    mrwalkerb wrote:

As tempting as it is to just call you an idiot for making that statement I will hold off. The idea that anyone of the from the early nineties had even a fraction of the effect that Nirvana is retarted. That's like equating Led Zep with Spinal Tap becasue Nirvana is on teh Led Zep level kids whether you like 'em or not you have to admit it and if anyone flames me with Zeppelin being awesome bullshit step off cause I own all thier records and yes I know they were great but in the grand scheme of things what Nirvana did cannot be overstated. If for nothing other then killing hair metal, not mention being the band that threw the spotlight on "alternative" music, all these bands like the pixies and Dinosaur Jr. who are held in such regard today simply would not be the mildy household names they are if not for Nirvana, Nirvana's in the hall, Pearl Jam is a maybe but it will be for thier stand on ticketmaster and the boots more then the music-not that they don't deserve because of the music but that's not why they'll get in. I can see RATM and maybe teh Peppers but really guys AIC? sorry they just didn't have the impact and on top of that some of thier stuff sounds dated something that has yet to, and probably will not in the near future, happen to In Utero.
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:

Why not state your opinion, rather then belittling the opinions of others?

The Pixies were around way before Nirvana, and were doing quite nicely even before Nirvana took-off.
  • Options
    Deaderman wrote:
    First off, if you're going to do something, do it and don't just halfass it. As for the outdated comment, I'm not sure if the HOF council will agree with your opinion, but we'll all see won't we? And thanks for reminding me why Kurt turns over in his grave with fans like you.

what outdated comment? and dude you said AIC had the same impact as Nirvana so come on now
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    mk333mk333 Posts: 17
    I think whether or not AIC makes it in the hall of fame they are still a great band that is COMPLETELY original and not like anything or anyone else. There will never be another band like this and for that I love these guys even more. I think their music has had an impact on music more than we will ever know. That is the beauty of music. Whether or not a band makes it in the Hall of Fame shouldn't matter, and you can't relate one bands music to the success of another band.
    laziness is our downfall
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I don't see it happening.

Nirvana - yep
    Pearl Jam - yep
    Soundgarden - Maybe...definitely should happen IMO
    AIC - don't know for sure...great band indeed, but something always seemed to be missing.
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    what outdated comment? and dude you said AIC had the same impact as Nirvana so come on now

"sorry they just didn't have the impact and on top of that some of thier stuff sounds dated something that has yet to, and probably will not in the near future, happen to In Utero."

Whatever...LOL
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

They had a singer who's fans had the kind of reverence for him when he was still alive that only dead people like Kurt Cobain usually get. That's fairly original. Even if you claim they didn't have a huge impact on the musical world, you cannot deny Layne was something special. He had that untangible quality that cannot be explained. Blondie were an average pop-punk band who ad some catchy tunes that were sold by the pin-up fronting them. AiC changed their fans lives. Can you say the same for Blondie fans?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    They had a singer who's fans had the kind of reverence for him when he was still alive that only dead people like Kurt Cobain usually get. That's fairly original. Even if you claim they didn't have a huge impact on the musical world, you cannot deny Layne was something special. He had that untangible quality that cannot be explained. Blondie were an average pop-punk band who ad some catchy tunes that were sold by the pin-up fronting them. AiC changed their fans lives. Can you say the same for Blondie fans?

Uhh..you might wanna study up on some rock n' roll history before you make any more posts on this topic. Yes, Alice in Chains were a good band, and they may have changed the lives of some of their fans, but they did NOT make the kind of massive impact that would get them into the hall of fame. Sorry to disappoint ya, but it just ain't gonna happen.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    Nirvana killed butt rock with Nevermind, and basically launched the shift in 90s rock music that will forever be called fucking "grunge"...ugggh. They deserve to get in if for no other reason than they kille dthe era of coked-up supermodels doing cartwheels on the hoods of Ferrari's in music videos.

Soundgarden were pretty much the unsung heroes of the 90s until Black Hole Sun turned them into some kind of mega band...which IMO is what killed them (the business of being a mega rock band). SG brought a level of musicianship to the table that few of their peers had going for them. I hate to say that they were the Zeppelin of their generation, but 20 years from now, people will still be talking about Cornell's voice, Matt and Ben's shifting, brilliant rhythm section, and Kim Thayil's frenetic, wah-drenched guitar. To wit, I have never heard a band rip off SG successfully. The only band on par with them musically in the 90s was Tool.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

I agree Layne was unique, and I applaud your passion towards him, but there are dozens of singers held in the same regard by their loyal fans. I am a huge Paul Westerberg fan, but I know he was never fully accepted by the masses, so I doubt the HOF will include him...So be it.

Blondie introuduced pop-punk to the masses, and they had an impact on young girls who looked up to Deborah Harry, much the way you may admire Layne. The admiration for both may be based on different reasons, but both had their followers.
  • Options
    Deaderman wrote:
    "sorry they just didn't have the impact and on top of that some of thier stuff sounds dated something that has yet to, and probably will not in the near future, happen to In Utero."

Whatever...LOL

so because in your opinion my opionion is wrong I'm wrong? whether you like to admit it or not some of these once great albums just don't sound as fresh as they once did and it has more to do with production styles then anything, unfortuantly AIC happens to have a few albums that fall into that pit. flame away but I think Ten sounds dated
    Chris Cornell

• Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    so because in your opinion my opionion is wrong I'm wrong? whether you like to admit it or not some of these once great albums just don't sound as fresh as they once did and it has more to do with production styles then anything, unfortuantly AIC happens to have a few albums that fall into that pit. flame away but I think Ten sounds dated

I never said your opinion is wrong, I just said we'll see what happens. You want to be honest? Every album out there is dated, no matter what. You say that Nirvana won't become outdated? Well, since the 60's, bands have been talking about drug use so I don't see how Alice would become outdated. We went from talking about Alice not going into the HOF to your opinion....I might have just let you have your opinion but not only did you more or less call me an idiot, you critiicized me. Can't take it, eh?
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    mrwalkerb wrote:

I think AIC has as much of a lingering effect on music as Nirvana, but the initial grunge explosion was like the second coming of Elvis.

Nirvana, PJ, SG, Tool and the Black Crowes will most likely be first timers from the early 90's
    Rage, AIC, Pumpkins etc. etc will get in eventually.
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I don't know about the requirements to get into hall of fame, and I dont give a shit. But AIC are underappreciated, and won't get the critical respect they deserve until 15-20 years from now, when everyone can soberly sift out the good from the bad. The great thing about the early 1990's is that all the big bands were unique..AIC had a more blues oriented sound, and their aggressive metal style was as good as their melodic acoustic stuff. They had great range. And Layne truly was a talent, one of the best voices of the time. Not to mention the vocal harmonies between Layne and Jerry. Whether they make the hall of fame or not doesn't really matter.