The Wall- Greatest album ever?

2»

Comments

• suffragettesuffragette Posts: 253
    We thought so when it came out, probably before most of you were born! I do think that Dark Side of the Moon holds up much better thematically. Moon was more a 60's album, so those of us who came of age in the ucky 70's figured The Wall was our Dark Side of the Moon.

Trivia: Who was the lead in Quadrophenia?

suffragette
  • TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    We thought so when it came out, probably before most of you were born! I do think that Dark Side of the Moon holds up much better thematically. Moon was more a 60's album, so those of us who came of age in the ucky 70's figured The Wall was our Dark Side of the Moon.

Trivia: Who was the lead in Quadrophenia?

suffragette
    Phil Daniels played Jimmy Cooper.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167
    alobar wrote:
    Is there anything else out there that comes close to the epic of The Wall?

mmmm, nope.

the movie depresses me

greatest album ever? ummmmm no :)
  • It wasn't even the best album of 1979. Do It Yourself by Ian Dury and the Blockheads gets that award.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I would have no problem labeling The Wall as the greatest album ever

Pure Brilliance
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    alobar wrote:
    Is there anything else out there that comes close to the epic of The Wall?

mmmm, nope.

How about everything they've released before the wall?
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    It wasn't even the best album of 1979. Do It Yourself by Ian Dury and the Blockheads gets that award.

ignoring the Clash, are we?
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    El_Kabong wrote:
    it's good but i wouldn't say it's the greatest, even for floyd. the studio album just sounds too flat and cold to my ears.

i have the remastered version and it sounds incredible, imo.
  • Animals is by far the best PF record

There is a 77 floyd concert from Oakland that circulates on the BT sites.
    It blows the album away.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    alobar wrote:
    alright, so there's at least one other person who favorite Floyd album is The Wall. Granted, many of their albums are mind-blowingly good, but there's something special about The Wall that really seals the deal for me. Some could say that there are dull moments on the album, but I find the ebb and flow of The Wall appealing.
    What is special for me is the whole concept of it and the fact they were able to pull it off IMO. The story, music, lyrics, the live show, movie, the whole concept was just incredible. Depressing? Who cares, I like depressing. I just found the project to be slightly more ambitious and ballsy. Gilmour's playing on it is fantastic, as were his song contributions. If there was one show I wish I could have seen from anybody, it would have been one of the few Wall shows. I would have been in awe.

Of course Animals and WYWH are mind blowingly good but I do find myself day dreaming a tad more on those. the Wall never loses my attention. Splitting hairs here as those 3 just rule.

Listening to it is more of an event for me, no chance on just hearing one or two songs, I sit down and listen to the whole thing. I have to.

I also absolutely adore the Final Cut. Maybe it is just a Waters fixation :D
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Animals>The Wall
    Dark Side Of The Moon>The Wall
    Wish You Were Here>The Wall

i agree with all of these.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • DSotM I could see a case...this one is great...just a little too much filler/trite for me.

;)
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.