The Wall- Greatest album ever?

alobaralobar Posts: 310
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Is there anything else out there that comes close to the epic of The Wall?

mmmm, nope.
"I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    it's good but i wouldn't say it's the greatest, even for floyd. the studio album just sounds too flat and cold to my ears. roger basically came in and said they were doing either the wall or what became his first solo album (the pros and cons of hitchiking). now, the live version they released sounds faaaaaar superior to the studio version, at least to me.

overall it's a great album, i just think pink floyd was a lot better when dave had input instead of the rest of the band basically being studio musicians.
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    it's the second weakest floyd record.
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    the wall may be the single most overrated album of all time
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • tomtintomtin Posts: 48
    Wish you were here > The Wall
    I'm the first mammal to wear pants, yeah
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Animals>The Wall
    Dark Side Of The Moon>The Wall
    Wish You Were Here>The Wall
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    what about relics? lol
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    not even close
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    Tommy was better.

But can you hear me?
    Feels Good Inc.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    *smashes mirror* heh.

i like tommy better>
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    it's amazing. It's not my favorite Floyd album. but it's much greater than Tommy and truely one of the great all-time rock albums.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Bu2Bu2 Posts: 1,693
    I really didn't get any story line from it. Whereas, with Tommy, I felt like I was playing pin ball, just by smell.
    Feels Good Inc.
  • Definetly one of the most overrated albums in rock history.

Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals, Meddle & Wish You Were Here are all far superior albums. Especially Animals...fucking unreal :D
    the needle & the damage done
  • mind you it sold 23million albums in the US alone so it must be pretty good, not my fav floyd album, which is DSOTM but awesome none the less, more of a show then an album
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    El_Kabong wrote:
    now, the live version they released sounds faaaaaar superior to the studio version, at least to me.

I agree 100%! It wasn't until a few weeks ago I picked up the live version (Is there anybody out there?)...what the heck was I think waiting so long??? It's quite a piece.

Btw, I picked it up after reading Tool's newsletter from may '06. Their board admin. (I think that's his role) wrote this great piece about trying to score seats at one of the The Wall LA shows back in '80 -- he goes back and forth comparing fan access to concerts today to what it was like then in a most entertaining way. Worth the time it takes to read:

http://www.toolband.com/news/index.html
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Of course not. It isn't even the best Pink floyd album.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Definetly one of the most overrated albums in rock history.

Dark Side Of The Moon, Animals, Meddle & Wish You Were Here are all far superior albums. Especially Animals...fucking unreal :D

Yes! Another Animals fan. I fucking LOVE that album. Its by far the greatest Floyd album ever.

I like the Wall, but its not an album you can listen to straight through I find.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    mind you it sold 23million albums in the US alone so it must be pretty good,

hahahah I love your logic
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    alobar wrote:
    Is there anything else out there that comes close to the epic of The Wall?

mmmm, nope.
    I'm almost right with you. Though I don't put it at the top, it is cemented in my top 10 and my favorite Floyd disc.
  • I love the wall.. but WYWH, DSOTM, and Animals stomp it into the ground hard.

also, as much as i love floyd (and i do), there are albums better than anything they produced out there.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I disagree. DSOM, WYWH, Animals, Meddle, A Saucerful of Secrets were all better Floyd albums in my opinion. Although I still think The Wall was an amazing record. The song "Mother" off that record is one of my favorite songs of all time. Pink Floyd was so amazing.
  • The Wall has its moments and those moments are spectacular, but i dont think it was ever ment to be a album more then a show, parts of the wall i find boring, and other parts are sheer awesomeness,
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • NotMikeNotMike Posts: 27
    I heard The Wall and didn't fall in love with Pink Floyd. I heard Animals and I did. Animals is miles ahead of The Wall in my opinion.

On a semi-related note, the Echoes/2001 synch may be the single greatest work of art in the universe.
    "I think I'm cool." - Stone Gossard.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    NotMike wrote:

On a semi-related note, the Echoes/2001 synch may be the single greatest work of art in the universe.
    i love ehcoes,totally agree.greatest cd ever is DSOTM
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• dan_vedderdan_vedder Posts: 213
    ...Is there anybody...OUT THERE?
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • yes there is plenty of people out there
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    transplant wrote:
    I'm almost right with you. Though I don't put it at the top, it is cemented in my top 10 and my favorite Floyd disc.

alright, so there's at least one other person who favorite Floyd album is The Wall. Granted, many of their albums are mind-blowingly good, but there's something special about The Wall that really seals the deal for me. Some could say that there are dull moments on the album, but I find the ebb and flow of The Wall appealing.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
  • mpg82mpg82 Posts: 83
    No way. It's great but it's too depressing. DSOTM is PF's best. That may be the best album ever. Either that or the new All-American rejects album. I'm still on the fence.
    6/26/98, 6/27/98, 06/13/99, 10/08/00, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/29/06, 6/30/06, 5/7/10
  • TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    Quadrophenia-better than The Wall.
    Animals is my fav. PF album.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • mikeg19_82 wrote:
    No way. It's great but it's too depressing. DSOTM is PF's best. That may be the best album ever. Either that or the new All-American rejects album. I'm still on the fence.
    I hope you're kidding.

I hope to god you're kidding.

If you just called the all american rejects makers of the "greatest album ever" and mentioned it in the same breath as Pink Floyd i think we literally, by law, have to find and kill you.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"