London Calling

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I bought this album recently. A very good album it is. The best of the punk era , you decide.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    fuckin great....the card cheat is one of my favorite songs of all time.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Really love "I'm not Down".
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    not only the best of "the punk era" but one of the best albums of all time.
    rock chalk
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Overrated in my opinion, I thought The Clash was better. I also like The Misfits and Ramones more than The Clash.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Overrated in my opinion, I thought The Clash was better. I also like The Misfits and Ramones more than The Clash.

the Misfits were a fucking novelty act, man. Last Caress is awesome...Cold/Cough is cool....Return of the Fly is fun...but c'mon man, better than the Clash?!?!?
    long red wrote:
    the Misfits were a fucking novelty act, man. Last Caress is awesome...Cold/Cough is cool....Return of the Fly is fun...but c'mon man, better than the Clash?!?!?

Id take them anyday over The Clash
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Id take them anyday over The Clash

i'd take the Misfits over the Sex Pistols...but never over the Clash.
  • jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145

hmm. see to me the Ramones are okay but not really that interesting musically. Their songs all have the same structure, and are really formulaic to me. The Clash on the other hand went beyond the punk genre and have a much more varied catalogue which makes them much more appealing.
    rock chalk
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I recently picked up The Clash, the self-titled US version. I'm on the fence as to which I like better between it and London Calling. I like the diversity on LC, but the focused, to the point punk on the self-titled is really great.
    CM1847 wrote:
    I recently picked up The Clash, the self-titled US version. I'm on the fence as to which I like better between it and London Calling. I like the diversity on LC, but the focused, to the point punk on the self-titled is really great.

I prefer to the point punk music...........that ska, disco, pop stuff does not do it for me.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    daughter: what is this shit you're listening to?

me: excuse me, it's not shit. it's the clash

daughter: they're not punk.

me: well neither's that emo shit you listen to. :p

i took my CD and left the room.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    daughter: what is this shit you're listening to?

me: excuse me, it's not shit. it's the clash

daughter: they're not punk.

me: well neither's that emo shit you listen to. :p

i took my CD and left the room.

You should ground your daugther for listening to that
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

You should ground your daugther for listening to that

she's 20 years old now. she wasnt at the time of our conversation. but she's since negotiated herself through that emo crisis. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    she's 20 years old now. she wasnt at the time of our conversation. but she's since negotiated herself through that emo crisis. :D

hehe :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    essential album if you are music fan. One of the best albums ever, by one of the best bands ever.

As a commie marxist, this album changed my life. From Guns of Brixton's call to armed resistance, to the quiet yet powerful Lost in the Supermarket, to the slap in the face to corporate america in Koka Kola, to the great riff in Train in Vain, to the call for youth to resist getting jobs and wasting away in The Clampdown.

This album should be taught in school. It is full of resistance and anger.

To understand how rock can be used as a political tool, as a means of trying to advocate for social change and revolution, this album is neccesary.

The Clash are the only band that matters. Now nearly 30 years after the release of London Calling, they are still the only band that matters.
    essential album if you are music fan. One of the best albums ever, by one of the best bands ever.

As a commie marxist, this album changed my life. From Guns of Brixton's call to armed resistance, to the quiet yet powerful Lost in the Supermarket, to the slap in the face to corporate america in Koka Kola, to the great riff in Train in Vain, to the call for youth to resist getting jobs and wasting away in The Clampdown.

To understand how rock can be used as a political tool, as a means of trying to advocate for social change and revolution, this album is neccesary.

The Clash are the only band that matters. Now nearly 30 years after the release of London Calling, they are still the only band that matters.

ever listen to billy bragg che?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    yeah, i do actually. I have all his records. I like his sound, and I of course love the political and socially conscious lyrics.

He seems like a cool guy.

The Bard of Barking, is his nickname.

I like that "there's power in a union" song
    yeah, i do actually. I have all his records. I like his sound, and I of course love the political and socially conscious lyrics.

He seems like a cool guy.

The Bard of Barking, is his nickname.

I like that "there's power in a union" song

cool.

i just found it interesting the way you held up the clash as the only band that matters when there are people such as billy bragg out there. i know i know he's not a band, but that's just semantics as far as im concerned.

oh my, do you have the mermaid ave albums he did with wilco? they are so good. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    cool.

i just found it interesting the way you held up the clash as the only band that matters when there are people such as billy bragg out there. i know i know he's not a band, but that's just semantics as far as im concerned.

oh my, do you have the mermaid ave albums he did with wilco? they are so good. :)

"the only band that matters" was the clash's trademark, or at least it was said about them as a band during their heydey. But you probably know that. There are many other good bands out there, I was just making a point that The Clash are hard to beat sonically and politically and that they are still today a band to be reckoned with.

The mermaid ave albums with wilco are great, your right. Wilco is an excellent band as well.

I wish Joe Strummer was still alive and making music
    I wish Joe Strummer was still alive and making music

yeah well i wish rick danko and richard manuel were still alive. but thats another story for another thread. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • definitely one of the greatest albums of all-time, but i wouldn't dare put it into one of the best "punk" albums. the clash's self-titled debut is their finest punk album.

personal opinion: the clash and the damned are really the only british punk bands that i can enjoy.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

u summed up what the clash are all bout.and u just made me put on live from here to eternity.the only band i wish i could of seen live is the clash
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Anyone who thinks this is the best punk album ever, I would wholeheartedly reccomend listening to the Damned's Machine Gun Etiquete album, not saying it is better but it is definitely up there in terms of top punk albums, The Clash s/t also
    Tell Us the Truth by Sham 69,
    Inflammable Material and Go For It by Stiff Little Fingers
    Another Kind of Blues by UK Subs
    Another Music in A Different Kitchen and Love Bites by The Buzzcocks
    Damned, Damned, Damned by the Damned

These are all top draw and when you're going around making judgements on what the greatest punk album ever is, I would say it is essential to have listened to these before making such statements.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Obviously i'm gonna say London Calling is a great album. It was the first Clash album i heard and it changed my life forever. Up until that point i never appreciated how important music could be. However, my favourite clash album has to be Sandinista! Absolutley love that album. Thinking about gettinng this
    http://www.amazon.com/Sandinista-Project-Various-Artists/dp/B000OZ2CVG
    has anyone heard it?
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Obviously i'm gonna say London Calling is a great album. It was the first Clash album i heard and it changed my life forever. Up until that point i never appreciated how important music could be. However, my favourite clash album has to be Sandinista! Absolutley love that album. Thinking about gettinng this
    has anyone heard it?

Souns pretty cool I may have to look into it.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Obviously i'm gonna say London Calling is a great album. It was the first Clash album i heard and it changed my life forever. Up until that point i never appreciated how important music could be. However, my favourite clash album has to be Sandinista! Absolutley love that album. Thinking about gettinng this
    has anyone heard it?

what a cool concept for a tribute album...i gotta check that out.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I recently 'rebought' London Calling because it got remastered and I had the old CD version. I never realized how great songs like Spanish Bombs and Wrong Em Boyo were until I listened to this new remastered version. Awesome!

Now I gotta find a way to get rid of my old copy....

Also I got a tab book of guitar stuff from the library and one of the songs in there is London Calling and I learned it, it's pretty easy to play.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • It's musically superior to most other 'punk' records, in terms of eclectism and versatility. However it doesn't ooze punk in the way that Never Mind the Bollocks or Road to Ruin does. The only thing that makes it punk are the themes and imagery in some of the songs. Train in Vain, Spanish Bombs and Lost in the Supermarket are hardly tracks to bang your head to whilst dreaming of revolutionary movements, and London Calling reeks of adolescent Paul Wellers and Stings writing their first songs in their bedrooms.

All in all, it helped shape the music scene to come, but doesn't kick you in the balls or fuck you in the brain like Pretty Vacant. It's more Che Guevara than Malcolm McClaren.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    on my way to work i popped in THE CLASH ON BROADWAY DISC 2, man those songs are great specially .

TRAIN IN VAIN
    DEATH OR GLORY
    LOST IN THE SUPERMARKET ...all classics ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Even though Pearl Jam is my favorite band, London Calling is my favorite album of all time. Truly phenomenal.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.