Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah is #2 on iTunes

Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Just because some dude sang it on American Idol and Simon Cowell said that Jeff Buckley's version was one of his favorite songs of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d4U2KLNwGE

Discuss.
“Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Where people get their exposure to "good" music doesn't bother me, as long as they get that exposure.:)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Where people get their exposure to "good" music doesn't bother me, as long as they get that exposure.:)

Yeah, but I think it's kinda of a shame that Jeff is best known by a cover song.
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Where people get their exposure to "good" music doesn't bother me, as long as they get that exposure.:)

this is true....i had never heard this song until it was played on an episode of 'the west wing'.....idol still sucks tho....:D
  • i agree that as long as people hear the music its a good thing. also, this dude's version sucks
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    The more people intimately aware of Jeff Buckley, the better. I could care less how it comes about. I could care less if he's best known for a cover song. He's best known, period.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Yeah, but I think it's kinda of a shame that Jeff is best known by a cover song.
    It IS the best cover ever recorded to be fair.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    It is more spiritual than any song I've ever heard in a church.

Simon Cowell is a tool.

But if that is what it takes to get exposure, so be it I guess. I'm sure his family will be proud.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    It IS the best cover ever recorded to be fair.
    so true.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    i saw this was #2 on there and was really confused - thought it might be recommending me music or something b/c i'm a big fan. thanks for clearing that mystery up.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • Pathetic example of American lemming-like behavior. And that guy did an absolutely horrific job of the song. It had no emotion, no depth, and most of all it was completely devoid of dynamic. It pisses me off when those jack-offs murder great songs.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Pathetic example of American lemming-like behavior. And that guy did an absolutely horrific job of the song. It had no emotion, no depth, and most of all it was completely devoid of dynamic. It pisses me off when those jack-offs murder great songs.

I don't think he murdered it, he just brought absolutely nothing to the song.
    Yeah, but I think it's kinda of a shame that Jeff is best known by a cover song

I think it goes beyond being just a cover, it shows his amazing skill to reinterpret a song.

But anyway, Simon Cowell a Jeff Buckley fan, who knew?!
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341

He made this song his. Changed part of the lyrics and gave emotions to the song that Leonard Cohen has never done.

A lot of people know this song as sung by Jeff Buckley, not Leonard Cohen.

And hey.. if Simon Cowell can make another person listen to Jeff Buckley, why not. Start with Hallelujah and continue with listening to the whole album and discovering even more music of his.
  • reblfanreblfan Posts: 90
    Jeff Buckley would dominate anyone on American Idol with his voice alone, not to mention his guitar prowess. The range and clarity in his vocals are pristine. I'm glad more people are becoming aware of this legend.
    "Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising."
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Pathetic example of American lemming-like behavior.

I, like cutback mentioned, was exposed to the song on The West Wing. Does that make me a lemming too?

I'm no American Idol fan, but if people are exposed to music through there that is a good thing.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • sachincsachinc Posts: 117
    reblfan wrote:
    Jeff Buckley would dominate anyone on American Idol with his voice alone, not to mention his guitar prowess. The range and clarity in his vocals are pristine. I'm glad more people are becoming aware of this legend.

Why do the good die young?

Surely he would be up there with the greats if he was around today...
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    reblfan wrote:

In a perfect world, sure. But he would probably not even make it past the first round of a show like American Idol. Anyone with true talent and a bit of originality would naver make it on that show. They are looking for generic, least common denominator shit on that show. It is blasephemy that someone like Simon Cowell even speaks Jefff Buckly's name.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
    Sathogwa wrote:
    In a perfect world, sure. But he would probably not even make it past the first round of a show like American Idol. Anyone with true talent and a bit of originality would naver make it on that show. They are looking for generic, least common denominator shit on that show. It is blasephemy that someone like Simon Cowell even speaks Jefff Buckly's name.

That's not entirely true, most of the people who win those shows do have strong voices. Not perhaps the most original, but then most people who are more original wouldn't touch the show with a barge pole.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    there are some songs you just don't touch. buckley's hallelujah is one of them. yes yes i know it's really leonard cohen's but i'd have to disagree and say that jeff buckley truly owns that song. i can't even listen to cohen sing it. however if it were the only buckley song people ever heard then that would be a diservice to buckley as a performer and as a musician.

and yes people are lemmings for the most part when it comes to music. ooh ooh simon cowell says its a great song, so it must be, therefore i must hear it. idol does nothing for music.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Pathetic example of American lemming-like behavior. And that guy did an absolutely horrific job of the song. It had no emotion, no depth, and most of all it was completely devoid of dynamic. It pisses me off when those jack-offs murder great songs.

Actually, it was pretty good.
    "It's all happening"
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    reblfan wrote:

But really, best of all... Jeff Buckley would never go (have gone :()to American Idol :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    meme wrote:
    But really, best of all... Jeff Buckley would never go (have gone :()to American Idol :)

I love how "cool" you guys are because you're Anti-Pop music. Get over it already.
    "It's all happening"
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    I love how "cool" you guys are because you're Anti-Pop music. Get over it already.

I used to be a great fan of pop music. Still don't mind pop, but I have never been able to take in more than 2 consecutive minutes of American Idol.

I'm old, I have grown out of the wish to be cool, trust me.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • There are many songs that people just shouldn't bother trying to cover. They can never come anywhere close to the original or another cover. 'Imagine' comes to mind, as does 'Hallelujah'. I don't think the American Idol kid did a bad job; it just can't compare to Jeff Buckley's version. Having said that, I actually really like Rufus Wainwright's version, but I'm a RW fan.

and yes people are lemmings for the most part when it comes to music. ooh ooh simon cowell says its a great song, so it must be, therefore i must hear it. idol does nothing for music.
    Lemmings? Come on. If I saw some dude sing a song and I really liked it and then a friend mentioned that a cover of that song by Joe Blow is one of his favourite songs ever, I'd would more than likely go download that song.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • rrivers wrote:
    I, like cutback mentioned, was exposed to the song on The West Wing. Does that make me a lemming too?

I'm no American Idol fan, but if people are exposed to music through there that is a good thing.
    Yeah but that has nothing to do with the flock-like behavior of a great deal of the American Idol viewers, particularly the young, female viewrs, and they're the ones using iTunes. They buy any piece of shit that show endorses. It's a rare glitch in that system to bring such a high-quality song to this kind of attention. I never said it wasn't a good thing that more people know the song. ;)

And I'm sorry, but I hated that performance. Snooze job. No passion - suitable for the show he was on. I'm not surprised one bit.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    This is sad and gross.

I can see it now, all the religious freaks from the south "look Mom, American Idol has a song called, Hallelujah, see its such a righteous show"
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Lemmings? Come on. If I saw some dude sing a song and I really liked it and then a friend mentioned that a cover of that song by Joe Blow is one of his favourite songs ever, I'd would more than likely go download that song.

yes , lemmings. :p:D

so are you downloading the song cause of the recommendation of your friend or cause you saw some bloke sing it on a talent show? and had you friend NOT mentioned it was one of his fave songs would you still have downloaded it. or would you have only have thought of doing so?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    I really don't see why so many people have an issue with this. I totally agree that it's sad that people have such high regard for Simon Cowell's opinions, but at the end of the day, the worst thing that's going to happen here, is that a load of people who would probably never have heard of Jeff Buckley, are now going to be exposed to his music. Some will like it, some won't, but there will certainly be a fair few people who will be buying Grace and a bunch of his other stuff.
    yes , lemmings. :p:D

so are you downloading the song cause of the recommendation of your friend or cause you saw some bloke sing it on a talent show? and had you friend NOT mentioned it was one of his fave songs would you still have downloaded it. or would you have only have thought of doing so?

I would guess he is downloading the song because he likes the song. What's the difference how he is exposed to the song?

I have been turned on to quite a few songs and bands by Pearl Jam. I listen to them and if I like them I like, if not I move on.

I agree it is lame for someone just to start listening to a song or band just because someone mentioned it even though they don't like it. It is pretty arrogant of people on this thread to think all the people who downloaded the song is just following what Simon said, rather than that they were exposed to the song and actually like it.
    meme wrote:
    I used to be a great fan of pop music. Still don't mind pop, but I have never been able to take in more than 2 consecutive minutes of American Idol.

I'm old, I have grown out of the wish to be cool, trust me.

Well I think American Idol and furthermore Guitar Hero have been great gateways for younger generations to explore new(old) music.....have you seen the Itunes most downloaded list lately....it's amazing! So it's not as bad as you make it out to be.
    "It's all happening"
    Well I think American Idol and furthermore Guitar Hero have been great gateways for younger generations to explore new(old) music.....have you seen the Itunes most downloaded list lately....it's amazing! So it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

Agree. That's why I am on the fence somewhat about songs being in commercials. If I was in a band, I would still fall in the camp of not allowing the song to be played in a commercial for the reason, that you wrote the song from a real place about real emotion, not as a jingle to sell a Hummer.

I also see it as a good thing if a kid is turned on to The Who by hearing "Happyjack" on a commercial. The other thing is this could lead them down the path to a lot of other bands, by them saying, "This is great. What other bands are out there like these guys?" I just think it's better to get songs out there without selling something, ie in movies, etc.