Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah is #2 on iTunes

2»

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    rrivers wrote:
    Agree. That's why I am on the fence somewhat about songs being in commercials. If I was in a band, I would still fall in the camp of not allowing the song to be played in a commercial for the reason, that you wrote the song from a real place about real emotion, not as a jingle to sell a Hummer.

I also see it as a good thing if a kid is turned on to The Who by hearing "Happyjack" on a commercial. The other thing is this could lead them down the path to a lot of other bands, by them saying, "This is great. What other bands are out there like these guys?" I just think it's better to get songs out there without selling something, ie in movies, etc.

I totally agree.It also has to be said that bands wouldn't have to whore their music to advertisers if people actually bought their records rather than just downloading them for free.
  • IT is now Number 1 on itunes.

That is sorta amazing.

RW version is pretty cool too. They each took this mid-eighties pop song and made it their own.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    rrivers wrote:
    It is pretty arrogant of people on this thread to think all the people who downloaded the song is just following what Simon said, rather than that they were exposed to the song and actually like it.

I'm pretty sure that if Simon hadn't said it was one of his favorites songs, it would not be #1 on iTunes just because it was played on the show. I wonder if labels are going to start paying Simon to say that certain songs are his favorites to boost sales...
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I'm pretty sure that if Simon hadn't said it was one of his favorites songs, it would not be #1 on iTunes just because it was played on the show. I wonder if labels are going to start paying Simon to say that certain songs are his favorites to boost sales...

Interesting. It couldn't be that a ton of people were just turned on to a great song on an insanely popular show?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    rrivers wrote:
    Interesting. It couldn't be that a ton of people were just turned on to a great song on an insanely popular show?
    Turned on to not only a great song but also a great artist on said insanely popular show.

Damn you, you American Idol bastards. What audacity.

*cues "Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk" in iTunes*
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    rrivers wrote:

How many songs get played on that show every week? They don't appear as #1 on iTunes because of that. Saying that a certain song is "one of your favorite songs of all time" is a pretty strong statement. If they haven't mentioned Jeff's name on the show, this wouldn't have happened.
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    I totally agree.It also has to be said that bands wouldn't have to whore their music to advertisers if people actually bought their records rather than just downloading them for free.

deleted due to shit post
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Yeah, and?

I guess my and a few other points here is that there are worse things in the life of music than for people to get clued in to good music, whether it's via Simon Cowell, American Idol, a Chevy commercial or the recommendation by a friend. Yes Buckley and that tune have been around since the 90's, yes Cowell openly expressed great affection for the song and it's singer, yes sales have exploded on iTunes for the song....

And...? The next logical step is for music labels/management/artists/bands to get Cowell to drop their name or song with a recommendation for a nominal fee? Silliness.

And it's not "lame" for someone to listen to a song because someone else said that they liked it...duh, folks, that's probably how a healthy bunch of us got turned on to Pearl Jam or any other band or artist that you hadn't heard of until someone told you about them.

Can we get over it already?
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    deleted due to shit post

Haha! I wanna know what you said now?!
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    At any rate, after all you music snobs simmer down:
    Damien Rice is performing said song as part of a tribute to Leonard at the Rock and Roll HOF dinner tonite in NYC.

"If I were to float off in a balloon and were only allowed to bring the music of one artist, I would chose Leonard Cohen. Very few things in life are this clear to me." Damien Rice

:)
    Hopefully he passes muster....
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • so are you downloading the song cause of the recommendation of your friend or cause you saw some bloke sing it on a talent show? and had you friend NOT mentioned it was one of his fave songs would you still have downloaded it. or would you have only have thought of doing so?
    Both. I download songs on the recommendation of friends ALL the time. It's how I have been introduced to a lot of the bands I love today. It's also likely that I'd download a song I saw some dude perform on talent show, if I liked it. Even if I didn't really like his performance, but was interested in the song and hearing the original, I'd download it. Curiosity. I suppose, either way, I'm a big ol' lemming.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Just because some dude sang it on American Idol and Simon Cowell said that Jeff Buckley's version was one of his favorite songs of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d4U2KLNwGE

Discuss.

I prefer John Cale's version myself.
    How many songs get played on that show every week? They don't appear as #1 on iTunes because of that. Saying that a certain song is "one of your favorite songs of all time" is a pretty strong statement. If they haven't mentioned Jeff's name on the show, this wouldn't have happened.

Maybe it's just a great song that a lot of people had not heard. It's also a song a lot of people would like. So what that they mentioned Jeff's name? That's a good thing. As I stated before, people might listen to this song then want to listen to more of his stuff, then want to listen to similiar artists, and then become music snobs like people on this board and complain when people are turned on to new music in ways they don't deem valid.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    At any rate, after all you music snobs simmer down:
    Damien Rice is performing said song as part of a tribute to Leonard at the Rock and Roll HOF dinner tonite in NYC.

"If I were to float off in a balloon and were only allowed to bring the music of one artist, I would chose Leonard Cohen. Very few things in life are this clear to me." Damien Rice

:)
    Hopefully he passes muster....

I don't know a lot of Damien Rice's music. I have heard his big song but can't even remember the name of it now. But he does have a good B-side called "Rats Within the Grain" that really grabbed me.

I don't know if it is ok for people to listen/like a song because I said I like it. Hopefully it is.
    Both. I download songs on the recommendation of friends ALL the time. It's how I have been introduced to a lot of the bands I love today. It's also likely that I'd download a song I saw some dude perform on talent show, if I liked it. Even if I didn't really like his performance, but was interested in the song and hearing the original, I'd download it. Curiosity. I suppose, either way, I'm a big ol' lemming.

That's another good point. Since you can download the song for a dollar, maybe some people just said, "Hmmm, let's hear what the original sounded like."

What is also strange to me, is that it seems everyone who has posted on this thread really likes Hallelujah, Jeff Buckley, or both. The song being #1 on itunes is only a good thing for him and the song, so I fail to see the problem.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I think this song stinks no matter who sings it.

I'll have to go back and listen to more Buckley, I guess.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Simon Cowell is to iTunes singles what Oprah is to novels.

For some reason neither of those sits well with me.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    rrivers wrote:
    I don't know a lot of Damien Rice's music. I have heard his big song but can't even remember the name of it now. But he does have a good B-side called "Rats Within the Grain" that really grabbed me.

I don't know if it is ok for people to listen/like a song because I said I like it. Hopefully it is.
    I will listen to it.
    I don't care what the snobs say. :p
    I don't watch American Idol, though.
    I first heard Jeff's version in Shrek. :)
    Couldn't care less what people think of that.

You probably heard The Blower's Daughter or Delicate.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I first heard Jeff's version in Shrek. :)
    Couldn't care less what people think of that.

i think you'll find that was rufus wainwright. :)

as for damien rice. you all need to have a listen to woman like a man. awesome. but don't take my word for it. ;):p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    so it takes this guy from lord of the rings to sing this song for people to appreciate it?

I could care less. I'm not really glad that the song got exposure, as this show is entirely a slap in the face to music anyways. I'm not really upset that I heard the song on Idol, because nothing is sacred anymore anyways. I honestly wouldn't be suprised to hear a PJ song on Idol.

With or without this elf singing the song, its a great song..and Jeff Buckley's version is amazing. But if Simon Cowell truly appreciated great music, he would go out and start a label and sign some legitimate artists. Just because he mentioned one good song, doesn't discount all the severe damage he has done to music worldwide over the years. So fuck you Simon Cowell.
  • I love how people are happy to make it look like they were listening to Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks when they were 3 years old. Everyone gets their exposure to what we consider "good" music somewhere. Who gives a steaming turd if it's from American Idol? It's the same music they're being exposed to.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Igottago wrote:
    ....I honestly wouldn't be suprised to hear a PJ song on Idol.

i heard black on idol(the australian version). i felt so dirty.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Igottago wrote:
    With or without this elf singing the song, its a great song..and Jeff Buckley's version is amazing. But if Simon Cowell truly appreciated great music, he would go out and start a label and sign some legitimate artists. Just because he mentioned one good song, doesn't discount all the severe damage he has done to music worldwide over the years. So fuck you Simon Cowell.

I agree with what you say about Cowell and him really appreciating good music, especially now since he has made 400,000 billion dollars.
    I love how people are happy to make it look like they were listening to Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks when they were 3 years old. Everyone gets their exposure to what we consider "good" music somewhere. Who gives a steaming turd if it's from American Idol? It's the same music they're being exposed to.

Excellent (and funny) post!
  • Igottago wrote:
    so it takes this guy from lord of the rings to sing this song for people to appreciate it?
    It didn't take American Idol for people to appreciate Buckley's version; it took American Idol for people to have heard the song in the first place. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Who cares how people were exposed to it.
    Igottago wrote:
    I honestly wouldn't be suprised to hear a PJ song on Idol.
    Some guy on the previous American Idol season absolutely butchered Pearl Jam. I believe it was Jeremy.
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.