Chris Cornell - Arms Around Your Love

2»

Comments

• Yes singing is good, but Chris needs to be more original, this sounds like something from a pop tart a while back called mathew sweet. Musically its very close, the song I heard on the radio during his interview was heavy metal / folk and it was good, in his interview he openly speaks about stretching other peoples music to fit his style, but he needs to stay away from that.

It was another song from the new one? not the other one, "no such thing"?

Really liking "arms around...", after more plays it seems very powerful to me. seems to have good flow and like the way the choruses are done. Of course I have no idea, BUT to me it seems that Chris Cornell wants to do all kinds of music and sing in different styles. Some people just have to have that mood of music that is Soundgarden, and he's certainly doing something different. I'm a fan of great music and love to hear great singers, and he is one the best ever in which ever style he uses.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • It was another song from the new one? not the other one, "no such thing"?

Really liking "arms around...", after more plays it seems very powerful to me. seems to have good flow and like the way the choruses are done. Of course I have no idea, BUT to me it seems that Chris Cornell wants to do all kinds of music and sing in different styles. Some people just have to have that mood of music that is Soundgarden, and he's certainly doing something different. I'm a fan of great music and love to hear great singers, and he is one the best ever in which ever style he uses.

Chris called local radio stations in philly and baltimore and basically said this album was like a 20 year celebration of his career. He mentioned having differant ideas and concepts on every song, and wanting the freedom to just do whatever. He also went on to talk about stretching other peoples music, which matt also does frequentley in wellwater. I guess Chris and Matt like to feel the freedom to do other music their style, they do it well.

I think Chris is maturing to be a decent musician, but for the people that are still in the "last 3 soundgarden albums" rutt its hard to except, but honestly if that is how the other guy in this thread felt, he is no differant than the fans he ripped on as being casual and poser fratboys.
    He obviously hasnt given EM enough time. I was a late sg bloomer, I started getting more serious after the yield era when matt joined pj. I really didnt quite get EM vibe but realized it was creatively done. Now I totally get it, eventually you hear the chris in all of his work, but I do prefer his kick ass rocking tunes.
    I am loving shape of things to come.l
    As far as people ripping chris's lyrics, they have always been hit or miss, with his voice and coolness he can get away with that. A lot of singers are like that.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Chris called local radio stations in philly and baltimore and basically said this album was like a 20 year celebration of his career. He mentioned having differant ideas and concepts on every song, and wanting the freedom to just do whatever. He also went on to talk about stretching other peoples music, which matt also does frequentley in wellwater. I guess Chris and Matt like to feel the freedom to do other music their style, they do it well.

I think Chris is maturing to be a decent musician, but for the people that are still in the "last 3 soundgarden albums" rutt its hard to except, but honestly if that is how the other guy in this thread felt, he is no differant than the fans he ripped on as being casual and poser fratboys.
    He obviously hasnt given EM enough time. I was a late sg bloomer, I started getting more serious after the yield era when matt joined pj. I really didnt quite get EM vibe but realized it was creatively done. Now I totally get it, eventually you hear the chris in all of his work, but I do prefer his kick ass rocking tunes.
    I am loving shape of things to come.l
    As far as people ripping chris's lyrics, they have always been hit or miss, with his voice and coolness he can get away with that. A lot of singers are like that.

Agree completely with your post. His lyrics can be some of the best, but he's always had some songs that seemed like he just found a cool way to say nothing. My sis had Superunknown that listened to some, but the album that I fell in love with was DOTU. ha - just remembered how I got that album. I was trying to get STP's Tiny Music and got it on accident.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    alright understandable but minus the bond song and the jackson cover its actually an album of 12 original songs I was off by 3.

see thats your personal opinion of his first solo album which you are entitled to but it seems almost as if you are now making this a personal attack because of my dislike of his first solo album, if you noticed I gave him credit for some of the work on the album, the first two albums he made with audioslave, and the last one was a throw away due to the fact of no promotion and no touring. You can ask alot of people Euphoria Morning was kind of a let down after the last two or three Soundgarden albums. Well I thought of it, since you're so down with his stuff why don't you go to http://www.myspace.com/chriscornell theres a couple right there one is the single (the showcase of the album) I'm very interested in your opinion?

OK Euphoria Morning was a very well received album, for the most part critics raved about it, I remember it won album of the year in Metal Hammer magazine - they included a load of quotes from other musicians who highly regarded it. It didn't sell so well (for whatever reasons), but it has plenty of good songs on it which span many different genres. Plus most other Cornell fans I know at least 'like' the album if not 'love' it, so I don't think I'm alone. In terms of sophisticated song writing, it's miles ahead of Audioslave (who I also liked, but for different reasons). As far as this being a personal attack, chill, you could have been anyone - I just disagreed with your opinion.

As far as the new stuff goes, I'm enjoying it. No Such Thing has grown on me - his voice is sounding really strong again. I also like Arms Around Your Love, it's a different style for Cornell, and I'm not interested in hearing the same stuff over and over again from him. I'm sure there will be some more old-school style Cornell songs on the new record, from the descriptions I've read it sounds like it's going to be pretty diverse. Here's a link to some of the descriptions of the new songs: http://www.chriscornell.org.uk/songs.htm

Oh, and this I believe to be a fair review of Euphoria Morning: http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/chriscornell/albums/album/117330/review/5944598/euphoria_morning