Chris Cornell - Arms Around Your Love

Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
edited March 2007 in Other Music
“Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Not really sure what to make of this... I was kinda disappointed with it at first, but it's growing on me. It's a nice pop song. At the same time, after this, No Such Thing, and You Know My Name, I'm still waiting for a new Cornell song to knock me on my ass like his old work did...:(
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Thanks MC

Hmmm after the first listen I dunno if I like this song.
    Chris's voice is AMAZING as usual...but its a little too poppy for me. Maybe its just a grower, but it didn't knock me on my ass like No Such Thing did.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Very nice. Thankyou Marie.

I really dig it. I'm not surprised what so ever in the direction taken. This is my first listen and hell yes I like this song. Its totally different, I think this album is going to be excellent and way different than many people are expecting. But I'm going to love it, I can already tell.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Thank you!!

I'm really digging it, it's a nice pop song - a very good pop song in fact, nothing wrong with that.
  • I'm really liking this song. Nice little catchy guitar part too.
  • I prefer this to the other song that was floating around. Gotta say his voice scrubs up alright.
  • I prefer this to the other song that was floating around. Gotta say his voice scrubs up alright.

Yeah, I prefer this one. This is the album I'm going to get excited about.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    Too poppy for my tastes, definitely better than No Such Thing. There's nothing special about this song either :(
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    It was pretty good. The lyrics are pretty stupid but the music itself is catchy without being aggressively poppy. This song is pretty much what I expected the new album to be when I first heard about it many months ago... I'm not really sure what it'll be like now though, with songs like No Such Thing floating around.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Huh. Thanks for posting this Marie and thank you ACC for the heads up. It feels weird, but unfortunately I agree with much of whats being said here.
    I've only listened to it once (right now actually) and the first listen hasn't really done anything for me. It is very poppy. I don't necessarily mind poppy but I'm just not sure if it's working for me and Cornell. This is also the second song we've heard from Carry On and yet another one where the lyrics are really not his best. Well on a positive note...he sounds incredible! I do feel like I am still waiting for that major "WOW WOW WOW" factor that generally takes place with anything surrounding him though. Better luck next song. ;)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    thank you for the link :)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Not really sure what to make of this... I was kinda disappointed with it at first, but it's growing on me. It's a nice pop song. At the same time, after this, No Such Thing, and You Know My Name, I'm still waiting for a new Cornell song to knock me on my ass like his old work did...:(

Well, after a couple more listens, I'm really starting to warm up to this song. It's like an old soft rock song (the classic kind, not the Every Rose Has Its Thorn kind), and while it kind of took me by surprise to hear Cornell doing that kind of thing, I think it works. The lyrics aren't up to his usual complex standard, but the story they tell is really touching, and the melody of the chorus is perfect.

Actually, the more I think about it, the three solo songs we've heard really demonstrate why Audioslave was having "creative differences". Can you imagine Tom, Tim and Brad playing these songs? I can't.

In fact, I think Chris' new (seemingly unpopular) turn towards a softer sound is more respectable and exciting than the Rage guys retreating to their old band...
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • this song is great. hit me really hard just now. the lyrics are in a different style, but they are good....
  • uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    thanks for this. i'll give it a listen tomorrow when i'm soberer.
  • icarus wrote:
    cornell needs to hang it up.

I second that, after hearing "No Such Thing" it made me cringe. Does he have like friends or peers that tell him "what the fuck are you doing", I bet ed ved gets the douche chills or flop sweats after hearing Chris singing these sub-par songs. The first solo record was shit minus 4 songs, the first two audioslaves were pretty good (the third was a throw away), but I heard that this piece of bullfuck solo album only has 10 tracks and one of those tracks is that piece of shit bond song, 9 new songs?!?!?!?!? Way to put in an effort. Could you imagine who is going to be at these solo shows, only frat boys who liked audioslave, never heard of soundgarden, and can't spell temple of the dog. Aww fuck shit just another reason why the ten club pwns.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I second that, after hearing "No Such Thing" it made me cringe. Does he have like friends or peers that tell him "what the fuck are you doing", I bet ed ved gets the douche chills or flop sweats after hearing Chris singing these sub-par songs. The first solo record was shit minus 4 songs, the first two audioslaves were pretty good (the third was a throw away), but I heard that this piece of bullfuck solo album only has 10 tracks and one of those tracks is that piece of shit bond song, 9 new songs?!?!?!?!? Way to put in an effort. Could you imagine who is going to be at these solo shows, only frat boys who liked audioslave, never heard of soundgarden, and can't spell temple of the dog. Aww fuck shit just another reason why the ten club pwns.

Pretty sure the new album has 14 songs........

Euphoria moring was a great album - just turns out you and Cornell aren't so compatible - the guy doesn't like to re-tread, he keeps moving, sucks if you don't get it, but there are plenty of people who are enjoying what he does.
  • Pretty sure the new album has 14 songs........

alright understandable but minus the bond song and the jackson cover its actually an album of 12 original songs I was off by 3.
    Euphoria moring was a great album- just turns out you and Cornell aren't so compatible

see thats your personal opinion of his first solo album which you are entitled to but it seems almost as if you are now making this a personal attack because of my dislike of his first solo album, if you noticed I gave him credit for some of the work on the album, the first two albums he made with audioslave, and the last one was a throw away due to the fact of no promotion and no touring. You can ask alot of people Euphoria Morning was kind of a let down after the last two or three Soundgarden albums. Well I thought of it, since you're so down with his stuff why don't you go to http://www.myspace.com/chriscornell theres a couple right there one is the single (the showcase of the album) I'm very interested in your opinion?
    remember "sunshower"

i hope he plays that when i see him in concert 4/24

:D
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    iluvcats wrote:
    remember "sunshower"

i hope he plays that when i see him in concert 4/24

:D

one of my favs its bloody good it is
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014

I think you need to work on making more effective arguments.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    thanks!
  • DOSW wrote:
    I think you need to work on making more effective arguments.

i agree entirely. even a "frat boy" would have made a more effective argument!

at least i know i would have. ;)

i'll see you guys at the show. i'll be the one wearing a toga who's never heard of soundgarden. :rolleyes:
    i agree entirely. even a "frat boy" would have made a more effective argument!

at least i know i would have. ;)

i'll see you guys at the show. i'll be the one wearing a toga who's never heard of soundgarden. :rolleyes:

are you wearing it to baltimore too? is that how i'll recognize you?
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    are you wearing it to baltimore too? is that how i'll recognize you?

LOL... well i hadn't really thought that far ahead, to be honest...

i don't know if i want to go with the same college party theme two shows in a row. i'll have to think of a new one for baltimore.

otherwise people might think i'm weird, right? can't have that...

:)
  • Very nice. Thankyou Marie.

I really dig it. I'm not surprised what so ever in the direction taken. This is my first listen and hell yes I like this song. Its totally different, I think this album is going to be excellent and way different than many people are expecting. But I'm going to love it, I can already tell.
    Yeah Chris threw us a curveball with EM and it was transcending and beautiful. I've got some high expectations for this album - and also, I have no idea what it's gonna sound like. Remember: The first song/single on EM, "can't change me" sounds virtually nothing like the rest of the record and I think was the weakest song on it.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    LOL... well i hadn't really thought that far ahead, to be honest...

i don't know if i want to go with the same college party theme two shows in a row. i'll have to think of a new one for baltimore.

otherwise people might think i'm weird, right? can't have that...

:)

we are all weird; we love pearl jam :)
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Yes singing is good, but Chris needs to be more original, this sounds like something from a pop tart a while back called mathew sweet. Musically its very close, the song I heard on the radio during his interview was heavy metal / folk and it was good, in his interview he openly speaks about stretching other peoples music to fit his style, but he needs to stay away from that.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • I second that, after hearing "No Such Thing" it made me cringe. Does he have like friends or peers that tell him "what the fuck are you doing", I bet ed ved gets the douche chills or flop sweats after hearing Chris singing these sub-par songs. The first solo record was shit minus 4 songs, the first two audioslaves were pretty good (the third was a throw away), but I heard that this piece of bullfuck solo album only has 10 tracks and one of those tracks is that piece of shit bond song, 9 new songs?!?!?!?!? Way to put in an effort. Could you imagine who is going to be at these solo shows, only frat boys who liked audioslave, never heard of soundgarden, and can't spell temple of the dog. Aww fuck shit just another reason why the ten club pwns.

There are way to many people on here that just talk. You must like listening to yourself.
    These shows are taking place before the album even comes out.

no more shows
  • Pretty sure the new album has 14 songs........

Euphoria moring was a great album - just turns out you and Cornell aren't so compatible - the guy doesn't like to re-tread, he keeps moving, sucks if you don't get it, but there are plenty of people who are enjoying what he does.

EM is great, what he does with his voice is good stuff.
    As to the other nut who asked why Ed doesnt slap him, Ed wet himself over EM he mentions in interviews how chris changed the standard of singing with it.

Solo albums that come around every so often usually are departures from the musicians usual bump and grind.

no more shows
  • alright understandable but minus the bond song and the jackson cover its actually an album of 12 original songs I was off by 3.

see thats your personal opinion of his first solo album which you are entitled to but it seems almost as if you are now making this a personal attack because of my dislike of his first solo album, if you noticed I gave him credit for some of the work on the album, the first two albums he made with audioslave, and the last one was a throw away due to the fact of no promotion and no touring. You can ask alot of people Euphoria Morning was kind of a let down after the last two or three Soundgarden albums. Well I thought of it, since you're so down with his stuff why don't you go to http://www.myspace.com/chriscornell theres a couple right there one is the single (the showcase of the album) I'm very interested in your opinion?

You are the one who acted like a knucklehead, you are the one boasting not him.
    Why would his first solo album sound anything like the last 3 soundgarden albums.
    Where is the logic.
    I go to the myspace page alot.
    I also agree with some of it, but you act like his music is shit because you and a few people say so.

What makes an album a throw away because of no promotion or no touring.
    If we listened to your logic we would have thrown no code in the trash.
    Its either good music or its not.

His first solo album is very differant and his singing on the record is great, I wish it rocked more but it was what it was, and the shows were packed and sold out.
    This tour I would have to assume its pretty diehard fans that would even know about the tour.
    Your logic makes no sense.

So if we listen to you we should not go to the show becasue it will be all fanboys who havent even heard anything from chris cornell except this song on here and the bond tune, which means the place will be all his friends and family.
    We should hate em because it wast badmotorfinger, superunkown, or down on the upside.

And we should agree with 4 people on his myspace page.

If we listened to you we would be listening to nothing but white noise.

no more shows