Radiohead

Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
edited October 2007 in Other Music
I am fairly new to Radiohead. I have Pablo Honey, The Bends, and OK Computer, which are all excellent. Each one improves on the previous, and Pablo Honey sets the bar pretty high.

Well, I have had a hard time gettin into the rest of their stuff. I can listen to Kid A, but nothin really floats my boat all that much, and Hail To The Thief has some pretty decent "mood" music. I don't have Amnesiac, b/c there has been somethin I want more every time I have thought about buyin it. I will eventually get it, but was wondering if its any good.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Anything post-Kid A takes a looooong time to catch on. With me, what happened was I never really like the albums until one day, when my mood is just right and all of a sudden everything clicks.

Just be patient... eventually they'll catch on. I would listen to Kid A and HttT a little bit more before I got Amnesiac if I were you... there's nothing worse than being overloaded with a band because you tend to miss all the little details.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • It's my personal favorite of theirs. If you're more into their guitar-centered songs, there is more guitar on Amnesiac than Kid A, but they are very similar in style. I would say that it's not good for mood music; the songs are introspective, isolated, claustrophobic (moreso than typical radiohead). This album had the best b-sides though. That's where the mood music lies here, but you'll never see them in a store.
    wind howls through our new haircuts
    the water rushes 'round
    heaven knows there's not one thing left to say
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I think Amnesiac is my second favorite Radiohead album. It and Kid A go back and forth a lot. I'm sorry but "Pablo Honey set the bar pretty high?"? I was listening to that album this morning since this is day one of 10 until In Rainbows is released, and Pablo is one turd of an album.

Here's my agenda for the next ten days

October 1- Pablo Honey
    October 2- The Bends
    October 3- OK Computer
    October 4- Kid A
    October 5- Amnesiac
    October 6- I Might Be Wrong
    October 7- Hail To The Thief
    October 8- Kid B Sides (my RH b-sides collection)
    October 9- Live at Bonnaroo
    October 10- IN RAINBOWS!!!!!!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I am fairly new to Radiohead. I have Pablo Honey, The Bends, and OK Computer, which are all excellent. Each one improves on the previous, and Pablo Honey sets the bar pretty high.

Well, I have had a hard time gettin into the rest of their stuff. I can listen to Kid A, but nothin really floats my boat all that much, and Hail To The Thief has some pretty decent "mood" music. I don't have Amnesiac, b/c there has been somethin I want more every time I have thought about buyin it. I will eventually get it, but was wondering if its any good.

no, it isn't. it took me years to warm up to kid a, but amnesiac flat out sucks. there's maybe one song on there worth hearing. the rest is just mediocre kid a b-sides. hold off for the new album.
  • no, it isn't. it took me years to warm up to kid a, but amnesiac flat out sucks. there's maybe one song on there worth hearing. the rest is just mediocre kid a b-sides. hold off for the new album.
    What the hell are you talkin about?!

Some of the best Radiohead songs (both on the album and most definitely live) are on Amnesiac.

I Might Be Wrong
    Pyramid Song
    and Like Spinning Plates to name just a few are awesome songs!

Maybe you don't like them, they are still great.

Pull your finger out man. Get some bootleegs or whatever it takes and you'll see.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
    What the hell are you talkin about?!

Some of the best Radiohead songs (both on the album and most definitely live) are on Amnesiac.

I Might Be Wrong
    Pyramid Song
    and Like Spinning Plates to name just a few are awesome songs!

Maybe you don't like them, they are still great.

Pull your finger out man. Get some bootleegs or whatever it takes and you'll see.

if it takes hearing live versions to like the songs, the album still sucks. if they're so good live, why didn't they record them like that for the album? im not going to listen endlessly to shitty versions of songs on an album just becos supposedly the songs sound good live. knives out was the only song i enjoyed on that album. if i liked the live album, that only means they made a good live album. it doesn't make amnesiac suck any less.
  • if it takes hearing live versions to like the songs, the album still sucks. if they're so good live, why didn't they record them like that for the album? im not going to listen endlessly to shitty versions of songs on an album just becos supposedly the songs sound good live. knives out was the only song i enjoyed on that album. if i liked the live album, that only means they made a good live album. it doesn't make amnesiac suck any less.
    Ok, that's nice. See ya later.
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • it took me a few months to get into Kid A and the patience paid of for me as it has been my favorite album for a couple years now. remember you dont pick the music the music picks you.
  • no, it isn't. it took me years to warm up to kid a, but amnesiac flat out sucks. there's maybe one song on there worth hearing. the rest is just mediocre kid a b-sides. hold off for the new album.

one night you should lie down close your eyes meditate and listen to pyramid song and glass house.
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    all of their records hit me immediately. you just can't go in thinking you're goign to hear a repeat of anything youve already heard. take it for what it is.

if you don't like kid a, you wont liek amnesiac either. 2 of the greatest discs of all time if you ask me, but to each his own :)
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    haha yeah seriously. amnesiac gets some bad trash talk..and i'm not about to say i like it more or even as much as kid a...but it's got some really great tracks. life in a glass house is one of my favorites of theirs.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    one night you should lie down close your eyes meditate and listen to pyramid song and glass house.

You aren't serious.
    Cock Fight.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Kid A was decent, but they lost me with Amnesiac. That record was nothing more than Kid A leftovers. Hail to the Thief was a solid album, but by that point I had kinda lost interest in them, so I didn't listen to it very much. That being said, I still think they're one of the best bands of our generation and I'm hoping the new album convinces me to dive back into their music again. The Bends and Ok Computer are two of my favorite albums of all time, and it's too bad they've never been able to match the genius of those two records. Perhaps In Rainbows will be the welcome return to form I've been waiting for.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    ... and Pablo Honey sets the bar pretty high...

wtf..???
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Kid A was decent, but they lost me with Amnesiac. That record was nothing more than Kid A leftovers. Hail to the Thief was a solid album, but by that point I had kinda lost interest in them, so I didn't listen to it very much. That being said, I still think they're one of the best bands of our generation and I'm hoping the new album convinces me to dive back into their music again. The Bends and Ok Computer are two of my favorite albums of all time, and it's too bad they've never been able to match the genius of those two records. Perhaps In Rainbows will be the welcome return to form I've been waiting for.

i'm hoping for that too. and since i ruled out buying this new bob dylan box tomorrow, i might spring for this album download and buy low. if i like it, i'll get the album later. i agree with everything you said here, minus the comments on hail to the thief. it seems to me a step in the right direction, but a very uninspired and unimpressive album on the whole.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Twatay wrote:
    wtf..???

I guess this is a pretty hated album then. Hmm, oh well. I think itsa pretty decent first album. Not the kind that is career defining(Ten, Appetite For Destruction) but without Pablo we wouldn't even be talking about them right now.
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I guess this is a pretty hated album then. Hmm, oh well. I think itsa pretty decent first album. Not the kind that is career defining(Ten, Appetite For Destruction) but without Pablo we wouldn't even be talking about them right now.

i always dug pablo honey... songs like stop whispering, blow out, vegetable, and others are pretty damn good. sure, it's nothing groundbreaking, but it's a solid album. it's certainly better than their last 2 albums.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    i always dug pablo honey... songs like stop whispering, blow out, vegetable, and others are pretty damn good. sure, it's nothing groundbreaking, but it's a solid album. it's certainly better than their last 2 albums.

Yeah, and Anyone Can Play Guitar and Thinking About You. What's wrong with Pablo Honey? Creep was waaaaaaaaaaaay overplayed, but you can't really fault an album for that.
    i think you is an awesome song...and stop whispering too. but to say better than the last two is pretty ridiculous. if i had to choose between listening to just there there for the rest of my life or pablo honey i would choose there there.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Amnesiac may just be my favorite Radiohead album

you and whose army?
    pyramid song
    knives out
    i might be wrong
    life in a glasshouse

are some of their best work imo
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    r1vers wrote:
    i think you is an awesome song...and stop whispering too. but to say better than the last two is pretty ridiculous. if i had to choose between listening to just there there for the rest of my life or pablo honey i would choose there there.

the problem with hail to the thief is it's 14 tracks, 60 minutes, and most of it sounds exactly the same. there there might be an ok song, 2+2=5 was as well. but on the whole, the album suffered from too much sameness and too much filler.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    the problem with hail to the thief is it's 14 tracks, 60 minutes, and most of it sounds exactly the same. there there might be an ok song, 2+2=5 was as well. but on the whole, the album suffered from too much sameness and too much filler.

I disagree with this. I think it is full of amazing tracks, sorry you feel this way.
    Cock Fight.
    yea sorry...going to have to disagree w/ the comments on HTTT as well. i dont necessarily have the sudden urge to throw on 'we suck young blood' or 'the gloaming'...but in the context of the whole album i like those tracks.

go to sleep...sail to the moon...wolf at the door...punchup...where i end...
    i could keep going but i'm almost listing every song on the album so i'll shut up.
  • lastexitlastexit Posts: 257
    no, it isn't. it took me years to warm up to kid a, but amnesiac flat out sucks. there's maybe one song on there worth hearing. the rest is just mediocre kid a b-sides. hold off for the new album.
    You're ridiculous. How was that Hanson concert?
    lastexit wrote:
    You're ridiculous. How was that Hanson concert?

it was excellent. dude can play a pretty mean guitar (more than can be said for radiohead these days... but twiddling dials is almost as cool) and they they really let loose with funky/bluesy jams the likes of which i've not seen since the last time i saw the black crowes. played for about 2 hours, including an excellent acoustic set. they've also got the best vocal harmonies since crosby, still, nash, and young. the floor of the venue was bouncing.

as to hail to the thief... every song is basically the same. starts off quiet with murky ambient noise and thom yorke mumbling unintelligible vocals, slowly picks up to what you think is a chorus but isn't, then bursts into the same riff only played louder and faster while the drums kick in and thom's gibberish is shouted instead of mumbled. end song.

i'm sorry, but much as i though amnesiac sucked, at least it was inspired sucking. hail to thief is flat out the least interesting i've ever heard radiohead be.
  • What I think really makes Kid A/Amnesiac better is when the songs on those albums are played live... I mean, most of those songs were actually recorded electronically, then the jump from electronic to performing it live... just live instruments playing the electronic beats sounds so fucking amazing... Idioteque... honestly, amazing live. Kid A, even amazing live... it may not be that noticeable of a difference between Kid A (studio) and Kid A (live), but for me... it's just so much more emotional live... maybe it's just Thom, ionno... but fuck. And don't even get me started on the "Like Spinning Plates" thing they do live... shit, that's awesome, extremely unrecognizable at first.

With that said... Kid A has slowly become my favorite Radiohead album... it used to be Hail to the Thief, but yeah, Kid A just took over. I really haven't given Pablo Honey a chance, but when I did, I didn't like it... but I had heard some songs off of it recently and did like it, so I'll revisit that CD after this new one comes out.

What do you all think the bigger jump is?

Pablo Honey --> the Bends
    The Bends --> OK Computer
    OK Computer --> Kid A

Personally, I think Kid A... it was where they really took a different direction... which the whole electronic shit and everything, I mean, there was electronic shit on OK, but not as heavily as Kid A. I put Pablo and the Bends because, I mean, the Bends is fantastic, and just sounds so polished, plus the haunting closing song... it was just a huge step forward for them as artists.... and the Bends to OK Computer because OK Computer is definitely their greatest achievement.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:

this band is a complete two-face band. i am not a fan at all from their first two albums. ok computer, is ok. ;) and it's my 3rd favorite album. but kid a, is grad a music for me. amnesiac is my second favorite album of theirs. hail to the thief probably is my fourth favorite album of theirs.

you've gotta change your mindset, in a way, to really enjoy kid a and the rest of the albums. i personally believe those are their real classics and masterpieces. their recent music is that serious for me.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • OK Computer is definitely their greatest achievement.
    i don't know, i just don't see it. i know, to each their own right? but i feel that in ok computer they were still a bit hesitant of truly expressing their musical and creative abilities.

i feel that the real radiohead is in kid a and amnesiac.... it's like their taxi driver for martin scorsese, their godfather for copolla, their deadman for jim jarmusch, their unforgive for clint eastwood, their soft bulletin for the flaming lips. ahh, which leads me to say, if radiohead hadn't ever released kid a/amnesiac.... they'd never be classified as experimental legends along with the flaming lips.

if they hadn't ever pulled out kid a or any of their other recent i would've never been big on this band. at all, i don't think.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    kid A is my favorite radiohead album
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
    i don't know, i just don't see it. i know, to each their own right? but i feel that in ok computer they were still a bit hesitant of truly expressing their musical and creative abilities.

i feel that the real radiohead is in kid a and amnesiac.... it's like their taxi driver for martin scorsese, their godfather for copolla, their deadman for jim jarmusch, their unforgive for clint eastwood, their soft bulletin for the flaming lips. ahh, which leads me to say, if radiohead hadn't ever released kid a/amnesiac.... they'd never be classified as experimental legends along with the flaming lips.

if they hadn't ever pulled out kid a or any of their other recent i would've never been big on this band. at all, i don't think.

i don't think they experimented so much as changed genres. ok computer was experimentation like the soft bulletin. it blurred genres and stretched rock to the breaking point. kid a and beyong were simply radiohead doing electronic/ambient music that was already being done by other artists. they were just the biggest band to get in to the genre. it's like saying that rod stewart was just experimenting when he left the faces and went disco... he wasn't, he was just switching genres. only he moved to a more popular genre and radiohead moved to a less popular one, which is how rod was torn to shreds (that and his music sucked) and radiohead are still critic's darlings.