Good Spanish language music

gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 141
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I've recently been bitten by the "world music" bug and am kinda interested in spanish language music. Any suggestions?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
-John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• As my nick indicates, I´m from Argentina. Here we have lots of good rock bands that you would call "world music". Anyway, here are some bands

Pescado Rabioso
    Sumo
    Los Natas
    Massacre
    Pez
    La Renga
    Patricio Rey y sus Redonditos de Ricota

hope you find them!!!
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • gtbrown77gtbrown77 Posts: 141
    Thanks. But I don't necessarily want to limit myself to rock bands. I'm really interested in most anything. It's more about the language than anything else.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    -John Lennon
  • Kumbia Kings - only spanish music cd I own
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • gtbrown77 wrote:
    I've recently been bitten by the "world music" bug and am kinda interested in spanish language music. Any suggestions?
    if anything... the first band you should get into is Cafe Tacuba... if you've been here for awhile then you've probably heard me boast about 'em... a fan of flaming lips? fan of radiohead? fan of i dunno.... just eclectic stuff altogether? check out cafe tacuba.

but also great rock bands from mexico are Los Dynamite, Austin TV, Zoe, and oh, yeah Porter these guys rock... yeah, check out Porter...

oh and please, please, please don't get into Kumbia Kings..... a very sad band :( (no offense to the person who recommended them)

edit: oh, wait, you said not to limit to rock bands.... so sorry about that... ok then check out Manu Chao he's cool... ummm ok so if you like Kumbia Kings try Ozomatli, Grupo Fantasma, but above all else still check out Cafe Tacuba... seriously though... they do it all, rap, ska, mariachi, trio, cumbia, merengue, traditional spanish folk.... seriously... seriously... i mean it, seriously.... get into Cafe Tacuba

i'm serious.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • if anything... the first band you should get into is Cafe Tacuba... if you've been here for awhile then you've probably heard me boast about 'em... a fan of flaming lips? fan of radiohead? fan of i dunno.... just eclectic stuff altogether? check out cafe tacuba.

but also great rock bands from mexico are Los Dynamite, Austin TV, Zoe, and oh, yeah Porter these guys rock... yeah, check out Porter...

oh and please, please, please don't get into Kumbia Kings..... a very sad band :( (no offense to the person who recommended them)

Kumbia Kings - I didn't recommend them, just happens to be the only spanish cd that was given to me. I'm bored so I just chipped in. May be they do suck, I have no idea. I will say that they do seem to be very popular among mecians in my part of the world.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Kumbia Kings - I didn't recommend them, just happens to be the only spanish cd that was given to me. I'm bored so I just chipped in. May be they do suck, I have no idea. I will say that they do seem to be very popular among mecians in my part of the world.
    i didn't mean no offense... but it's actually a good recommendation considering what the person was asking for. i really think everybody should check out cafe tacuba though.... they've done EVERYTHING!!!! thrashmetal, punk, salsa, jazz, bosa nova, argghhh in one single CD! then their last album was totally a hipster album... like flaming lips fused with radiohead... and some artic monkeys... god, such a great album such a great band.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Kinky is a great band from mexico...a great mix of rock, norteno and dance/techno.
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Kinky is a great band from mexico...a great mix of rock, norteno and dance/techno.
    yup that's another good one tooo

try ely guerra... she's awesome... great eclectic mix for your collection too.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    if your trying to learn spanish and want something very melodic then Julieta Venegas, her 98 album Bueninvento is her finest.

or Alejandro Sanz (which I dont particularly recommend)
    Buika
    Gypsy Kings (if you aint heard of them, start with them)

Ive heard theres an argentine band going under my name.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    i heard

extremeduro arn't bad
  • bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    - Silvio Rodriguez (like the equivalent of Dylan in spanish-speaking countries)
    - Maná (Mexican rock-pop band... comparable to matchbox 20 I guess, but they do use a bit of reggae and cumbia in their songs)
    - Soda Stereo (Argentinian rock greats, a lot of 80's influence)
    - Flor de Loto (Peruvian instrumental prog rock band with a mix of native sounds. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, one of my favourite bands)
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    I'm agreeing with a lot of these responses, i listen to some spanish rock and i like most of these bands that you all are mentioning, here are few of the bands that I like. Café Tacvba (my fav. is Yosoy), Julieta Venegas (Bueninvento), Carlos Vives (La Tierra del Olvido), Ely Guerra (Lotofire), Mana (early stuff), Kinky, Maldita Vecindad, Aterciopelados, Molotov and more.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    Buena Vista Social Club
    Cafe Tacuba
    Manu Chau

These are all pretty accesible and i consider to fall into the "world music" category
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • bestsanebestsane Posts: 131
    Try these:

Enrique Iglesias
    Christina Aguilera
    Jennifer Lopez
    Gloria Estefan
  • Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    Manu Chao
    Los Jaivas ( this is a kind of Pink Floyd , very good music!!!)
    Pedro Aznar.
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman
  • Ozomatli
    NERDS!
  • Brain Of E wrote:
    I'm agreeing with a lot of these responses, i listen to some spanish rock and i like most of these bands that you all are mentioning, here are few of the bands that I like. Café Tacvba (my fav. is Yosoy), Julieta Venegas (Bueninvento), Carlos Vives (La Tierra del Olvido), Ely Guerra (Lotofire), Mana (early stuff), Kinky, Maldita Vecindad, Aterciopelados, Molotov and more.
    yeah! yosoy rocks... i was listening to it on my way to work today... just no way to label that album. it's rock but very different...
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Check these out :)

Ojos de Brujo (Really good, their music is a mixed between Flamenco/Hip Hop and much more)
    Café Tacuba
    Enrique Bunbury
    Héroes del Silencio (<- Bunbury's old band)
    Gustavo Cerati
    Soda Stéreo (<- Cerati's old band)
    Maná
    Juanes
    Inti Illimani
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Ricky Martin.

WHAT?!?!!?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Julio Eglesias
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • CaterinaACaterinaA Posts: 572
    bee_boy wrote:
    - Silvio Rodriguez (like the equivalent of Dylan in spanish-speaking countries)
    - Maná (Mexican rock-pop band... comparable to matchbox 20 I guess, but they do use a bit of reggae and cumbia in their songs)
    - Soda Stereo (Argentinian rock greats, a lot of 80's influence)
    - Flor de Loto (Peruvian instrumental prog rock band with a mix of native sounds. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, one of my favourite bands)

Come on! you cannot compare Silvio Rodriguez (or any of those lame latin singer-songwriters) with THE Bob Dylan, seriously. Silvio Rodriguez/Pablo Milanés/Ismael Serrano/Joaquín Sabina et al are lousy lousy musicians, they may write OK lyrics, but their musicianship skills are non-existent if you ask me.

On the other hand I agree with your Soda Stereo recommendation. Furthermore I'd suggest to check out the lead singer's solo career, his name is Gustavo Cerati) and his solo albums are fantastic!

Anyway, good luck with finding good music sung in Spanish. Oh, while we're at it I recommend a Chilean band called Los Bunkers it is rock, but they are very good. And if you're interested in some Andes music mixed with rock, there are some cool bands like Inti Illimani, Los Jaivas (which was already mentioned) and Quilapallun.
  • CaterinaA wrote:
    Come on! you cannot compare Silvio Rodriguez (or any of those lame latin singer-songwriters) with THE Bob Dylan, seriously. Silvio Rodriguez/Pablo Milanés/Ismael Serrano/Joaquín Sabina et al are lousy lousy musicians, they may write OK lyrics, but their musicianship skills are non-existent if you ask me.

LOL couldn't agree more :D

I think most people here are going to go for rock music...it's hard to say something else...mainly because it sucks.

I would have to say that there is a HUGE band in Chile, they are "Los Tres"
    If you want something else, not just rock...some mexican stuff would be Plastilina Mosh, Control Machete.

Some really cool mexican bands (good old rock) La Cuca, Real de 14, Tex-Tex, La Lupita, Maldita Vecindad, Botellita de Jerez.

For some folk-rock-jazz music Jaime López and Gerardo Enciso.

I think a great artist is Andres Calamaro from Argentina, also from Colombia Aterciopelados and the singer has a solo album Andrea Etcheverri.

From Spain, there is Juan Perro, former front man of a GREAT band Radio Futura. Some other interesting bands are Un pinguino en mi ascensor, Loquillo, Orquesta Mondragon, Daniel Higienic.

There, you should have fun trying to find music from this bands ;)
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

Ah that's just drunk talk, sweet beautiful drunk talk.
    -Barney Gumble-
  • yup that's another good one tooo

try ely guerra... she's awesome... great eclectic mix for your collection too.

You seem to know a lot from mexican bands :D
    I feel very close to you all now; so close I could almost... loan you money. Really. it goes that deep.
    -Tom Waits-

Everybody should believe in something...I believe i'll have another drink - anonymous -

-Barney Gumble-
    LOL couldn't agree more :D

I think most people here are going to go for rock music...it's hard to say something else...mainly because it sucks.

Hi there! Hope you're doing great :)

Yes, it sucks big time if you ask me, but I was trying to be polite :D. But if we're being honest, Mana sucks way too much.
    I would have to say that there is a HUGE band in Chile, they are "Los Tres"
    If you want something else, not just rock...some mexican stuff would be Plastilina Mosh, Control Machete.

I know people tend to love Los Tres, I've never been able to get them. Actually, they get on my nerves, but it must be because they are sooo arrogant. I like Los Bunkers much better, these guys are from the same city as Los Tres. I enjoy Plastilina Mosh a lot, they are funny and witty!!
  • CaterinaA wrote:
    Hi there! Hope you're doing great :)

Yes, it sucks big time if you ask me, but I was trying to be polite :D. But if we're being honest, Mana sucks way too much.

Hola!! todo bien por acá :D ¿Cómo están allá? No lo vas a creer pero justo ayer estaba viendo las fotos de Praga del año pasado y me acordé de ustedes, lo bien que la pasamos, no?

But, going back to what brought us here...Mana is the worst thing that could ever happen to music :D

CaterinaA wrote:
    I know people tend to love Los Tres, I've never been able to get them. Actually, they get on my nerves, but it must be because they are sooo arrogant. I like Los Bunkers much better, these guys are from the same city as Los Tres. I enjoy Plastilina Mosh a lot, they are funny and witty!!

Did you know that Julieta Venegas was married to the lead singer? :eek:
    I know they might be arrogant...but the music is incredible
    -Tom Waits-

-Barney Gumble-
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    gtbrown77 wrote:
    Leon Gieco, an Argentinian singer-songwriter...

Great song: El fantasma de Canterville.
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
    Hola!! todo bien por acá :D ¿Cómo están allá? No lo vas a creer pero justo ayer estaba viendo las fotos de Praga del año pasado y me acordé de ustedes, lo bien que la pasamos, no?

But, going back to what brought us here...Mana is the worst thing that could ever happen to music :D

Por acá de lo más bien. Debe ser la nostalgia de que ya pasó un año, pero justo nosotros también nos pusimos a ver las fotos de Praga y Berlín del año pasado y obvio nos acordamos de Uds. Síiiiiiiiii la pasamos bomba, yo amo ese concierto de Praga, escucho el boot a cada rato!

About Mana, they should definitely be drowned en El Muelle de San Blas :D
    Did you know that Julieta Venegas was married to the lead singer? :eek:
    I know they might be arrogant...but the music is incredible

Yep, I knew about Julieta's lapse of insanity :eek: I don't think much of her as a musician, but I'm glad she came to her senses and divorced Alvaro Henriquez, he's disgusting and increasingly similar to Jabba the Hutt
    anyone know any good places to get hold of some of this music??? like its taking a big chance to pay for if you knoow what I mean

never heard any argentinian or peruvian music before

have always found cafe tacuba a little disappointing, its the blending of the hip-hop that kinda fucks it up a lil for me.

is there any albums along the lines of Julieta Venegas' Bueninvento record?
    elmer wrote:
    anyone know any good places to get hold of some of this music??? like its taking a big chance to pay for if you knoow what I mean

never heard any argentinian or peruvian music before

have always found cafe tacuba a little disappointing, its the blending of the hip-hop that kinda fucks it up a lil for me.

is there any albums along the lines of Julieta Venegas' Bueninvento record?

Hi there.

I totally get what you mean. I'm not extremely into downloading music, I'm old school (I'm 34) :D, so I'm more into buying CD. Anyways you'll find tunes from the artists we've mentioned in Kazaa, Emule et al.

About Julieta Venegas I have no idea 'cause I don't like her much and I feel the same way about Cafe Tacuba, especially since their diminutive singer decided he was pretty much the second coming...

I trully recommend you to give Gustavo Cerati and Soda Stereo a chance. Regarding Soda Stereo, their best album (for me, of course) it's called Canción animal, also there's this semi-unplugged show they did for MTV that's great: Confort y música para volar.

About Cerati (former lead singer of Soda Stereo), he's got 4 solo albums, my favs are Bocanada and Ahí vamos.

Now, if you really want to experience like genuine Latin American music, I have to say, even if neither genre is my cup of tea, that our region's main contributions to music are son/salsa (old school) and bossanova. So, those looking for "world music" should look for Sonora Matancera, Ismael Rivera, Ruben Blades, Héctor Lavoe, Tito Puente, Cachao and Vinicius de Moraes, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Caetano Veloso, Joao Gilberto, Elis Regina...

Good luck,
    Caterina
    CaterinaA wrote:
    Hi there.

I totally get what you mean. I'm not extremely into downloading music, I'm old school (I'm 34) :D, so I'm more into buying CD. Anyways you'll find tunes from the artists we've mentioned in Kazaa, Emule et al.

About Julieta Venegas I have no idea 'cause I don't like her much and I feel the same way about Cafe Tacuba, especially since their diminutive singer decided he was pretty much the second coming...

I trully recommend you to give Gustavo Cerati and Soda Stereo a chance. Regarding Soda Stereo, their best album (for me, of course) it's called Canción animal, also there's this semi-unplugged show they did for MTV that's great: Confort y música para volar.

About Cerati (former lead singer of Soda Stereo), he's got 4 solo albums, my favs are Bocanada and Ahí vamos.

Now, if you really want to experience like genuine Latin American music, I have to say, even if neither genre is my cup of tea, that our region's main contributions to music are son/salsa (old school) and bossanova. So, those looking for "world music" should look for Sonora Matancera, Ismael Rivera, Ruben Blades, Héctor Lavoe, Tito Puente, Cachao and Vinicius de Moraes, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Caetano Veloso, Joao Gilberto, Elis Regina...

Good luck,
    Caterina
    yo.....well Im 29 so gettin there too but y'know I try not to consider these things,can feel far removed from people my own age as if someone who is much older or younger. anyway-
    Someone gave me a Caetano Veloso album(&gilberto gil) last year and some brazilian Tropicalismo mixes. they didnt totally grab me but were easy on the ear, portugese dont sound as nice as spanish or italian to me..........can understand some spanish but even if I didnt id still enjoy it,,,,like if eddie vedder sung in a totally alien language to me Id still love pearljam, it would only detract slightly not understanding the lyrics.
    I will find soda stereo & cerati.....cheers