Prince is a bad-ass guitarist

Comments

• T-Case wrote:
    What Foo Song did he cover?

best of you

Prince gave Dave and the foos a lot of (tounge in cheek) hassle about the "darling nikki" cover.

you have to wonder if this was some sort of payback.

It was good no matter what. Prince is a bad ass mofo.

period.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    The only time that I was pretty sure he wasn't playing live was at the end of the solo during Lets Go Crazy. He turned to walk back toward the mike, slung his guitar behind him, but the solo kept playing. Can't find a good video of it online yet though.

However, Prince is a bad-ass guitarist, as that 'While My Guitar Gently' weeps video will attest to.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • NakedClown wrote:
    A: Pretty sure he wasn't actually playing

B: I guarantee you that no one, ever, heard that Foo Fighters song and said: HEY, I wish Prince would cover that!!!

C: Apologies if I didn't catch your sarcasm

he was playing

he is a great guitar player
    heard him play MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS before
    it was great
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I agree. Price fucking tears it up on guitar! I already knew before the halftime gig that he could though... just check out youtube.com for footage of the George Harrison Hall of fame induction with Tom Petty singing "while my Guitar gently weeps." Prince is on Guitar for that song and fucking shreds! :D I had a newfound respect for prince after seeing that. The dude is a bad ass!
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Time for a little re-cap and a little feel good:

Purple Rain Super Bowl Style:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MUi-StosGOY

The man had an entire stadium obeying his command to sing. Awesome.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Holy fuck there's no way he was playing. He wasn't doing shit with his right, and his left fingers were in the wrong parts of the guitar for him to even play it off that he was tapping and pulling.

Uhmm, no... have you played guitar... Maybe you can not pull it off, but study up.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    the mere throught that prince "faked" all those guitar solos is pure ignorance.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • DercheefDercheef Posts: 732
    merkinball wrote:
    The only time that I was pretty sure he wasn't playing live was at the end of the solo during Lets Go Crazy. He turned to walk back toward the mike, slung his guitar behind him, but the solo kept playing.
    I noticed that too.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • StoneG82 wrote:
    the mere throught that prince "faked" all those guitar solos is pure ignorance.

I don't know... seems that more than one person thinks it may be possible...

No one is taking anything away from him - we all know he's a great guitarist... we're just saying it looks like he may have been singing over a pre-recorded track in some spots...
  • Having said that, I rewatched it this morning, and it does look a lot closer than I remember it... He does "Best of You" better than the foo fighters...

So who knows...
  • Dercheef wrote:
    I noticed that too.

i am missed that but delays, boomerangs, loopers, echos are all used heavily throughout his performances.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Prince tears it up on anything. I didn't think it was the best show I've seen but considering the monsoon (and tremendous electrical hazards involved) they really pulled it off well. It was impressive he could play as well as he did with all that rain. He dosen't always produce my favorite music, but the guys talent level is staggering, he can pull off anything.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Our love is like our music, it's here... and then it's gone.
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    i got another confession to make....i'm no fool :)

best super bowl performance EVER! awesome stuff Prince!
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    AWESOME PERFORMANCE!!

not the biggest fan of his,,but it was great to SEE ROCK BACK ,, not that pop,dance -hip hop bullshit

nothing like a man and his axe

AND YES HE WAS PLAYING
  • NakedClown wrote:
    There's four of us here... a few with musical backgrounds... and not one of us think he was actually playing...

Then, i'm sorry for you all. It really couldn't have been more obvious. There's no way possible to fake what he did. There was too much going on. Why am I even debating this with you? I'm stopping now. He was playing period.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • sure he wasn't actually playing

what the fuck are you talking about?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    why would only parts be prerecorded? He's def. playing and singing. I study that shit. Damn his vibrato is delicious. I here some Hendrix in him. Nothing super technical but damn he got some soul.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,450
    A. I dont deny that he was actualy playing...which is why i think he sounded like shit.
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • prince fucking rocked it!! the foo's song was kills
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but anybody who wants to listen to the half-time show again can do so here: http://timedoor.textdriven.com/mp3/SignotheTimes.mp3
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • miller8966 wrote:
    A. I dont deny that he was actualy playing...which is why i think he sounded like shit.

He's a tremendous guitarist and he was great. Don't like his style or questioning his technical ability?
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    It must be difficult playing a guitar well if you have a bad-ass. Was he playing cross legged?
  • i got only great things to say about prince. his superbowl perfomance was amazing.

for anyone who questions his talent they really need to see "while my guitar gently weeps" with tom petty & jeff lynne on the concert for george(harrison) dvd. there's a clip of that performance on youtube these days. by far it's the best guitar solo i've seen in a long long time. take the time and check it out cause u nonbeleivers will be quite shocked. imo

he's an awesome musician
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    yeah i never really realized it before but he is a good guitarist.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,450
    He's a tremendous guitarist and he was great. Don't like his style or questioning his technical ability?

Too much feedback...he was goign for the hendrix thing, which hendrix already did.
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • miller8966 wrote:
    Too much feedback...he was goign for the hendrix thing, which hendrix already did.

So nobody else can do it?
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    chromiam wrote:
    He's better than Mike McCready ... yeah I said it

Many would make that argument
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    http://www.georgeharrison.com/brainwashedIndexDirect.html

go to media and rock and roll hall of fame, Prince absolutely SHREDS the solo on Guitar gently weeps with Petty and the Wilburys