Options

Stadium Arcadium is a Bust

CousinEddyCousinEddy Posts: 7
edited May 2006 in Other Music
I hate to say it but from what i have listened to so far (3/4 of the album) the new chili peppers album is very disapointing for me. I thought by the way was their best work by far and was stoked for this new album. Alot of this album sounds like they have regressed to their sound of like the late 80's. BORING! hopefully it grows on me but as for now i am totally let down. anyone else feel the same?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    *Toastie*Toastie Posts: 59
    Yeah man i know what ya saying. Im pretty bummed. There a few good tracks that stand out...actually there is one that is on the 2nd album that rocks pretty hard...why didnt they do more of that?? Its just kinda boring...
    www.myspace.com/allmankind
  • Options
    gmcabralgmcabral Posts: 50
    wow.. really? i listened to it last week and think it's great. love the older sounding funk tunes. all my friend seem to really dig it too. to each his own.
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    CousinEddy wrote:
    I hate to say it but from what i have listened to so far (3/4 of the album) the new chili peppers album is very disapointing for me. I thought by the way was their best work by far and was stoked for this new album. Alot of this album sounds like they have regressed to their sound of like the late 80's. BORING! hopefully it grows on me but as for now i am totally let down. anyone else feel the same?

I couldn't disagree more. I thought By The Way was the worst crap RHCP has ever put out. I think the new album has a great blend of all the elements of music that they do well. I'm happy as can be with the new album.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    CageyCagey Posts: 220
    It bored me on first listen, but I gave it another chance, maybe I was in a more relaxed and open mood second time 'round because I liked it a bit more, it still doesn't blow me away and is way too long winded, but it has some fine moments, just give it time to sink in.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 541
    yeah, i frickin love it... 1st disc is excellent.... pure genius... the 2nd disc has some good ones too but some b-side fillers too. But overall i have to say their best album to date.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    CousinEddyCousinEddy Posts: 7
    yea, i love the peppers and all, so it sucks to say, but i just aint impressed. their sound got so beautiful on by the way, so much better musically and this album has so little of that. this album makes it seem like they have made no progress
  • Options
    malbitosemalbitose Posts: 21
    you guys are crazy, i bought that album last night and i didn't think there was a weak song...i especially like songs 1-8 on the 1st disk, and the last 4 off of the second, but i thought it was a pretty solid album
  • Options
    pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
    to much funk
    not enough punk

i think their music is to high pitched for my liking
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I'm not a bit impressed with Jupiter. It started ok but gets kind of boring. I'm hoping Mars is better but Desecration Smile isn't grabbing me. I thought they were returning to their roots. Where and when?
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I haven't been a Peppers fan since One Hot Minute, but there are a couple of tracks (maybe a 1/3 of the disk) that seem interesting to me.

It's real nice to see some funk back into a couple of their songs.
  • Options
    each to their own and all but i think stadium arcadium is fucking great....to be fair there are 4 or 5 proper shit songs........but i think the majority of the album is incredible.....i guess it just takes time to settle in and process because of the enourmous quantity of songs
    ...when a truant finds home....
  • Options
    pjfan9110pjfan9110 Posts: 145
    i'm always weary when double disc albums are released...there are so many songs that sometimes the quality is just bad....but i definitely think this is one of the better rhcp albums in awhile
    1998-06-27 Alpine Valley, WI / 2000-10-08 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-06-21 Alpine Valley, WI / 2003-04-26 Mellon Arena, PA / 2004-10-03 Grand Rapids VFC, 2006-05-17 United Center, IL / 2006-06-29 Milwaukee, WI / 2006-06-30 Milwaukke, WI / 2011-09-03 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2011-09-04 Alpine Valley PJ20 / 2013-07-19 Wrigley Field / 2014-10-19 St. Paul / 2014-10-20 Milwaukee, WI
  • Options
    USCJeffUSCJeff Posts: 92
    I too am weary of double disc albums, though I feel this one is actually better than most
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    CousinEddy wrote:
    Hey, glad to hear your thoughts on this album. I just got it and haven't heard the whole thing yet. By the way, if you're new to the board, all discussion of other bands should be in the Other Music forum. Check it out!
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness this ain't. This doesn't even come close to the excellence of that double album IMO.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Anything Apache Rose Peacock-ish on it? Might buy it if it was as funky as that song.

-peace
    Just me
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    I just got it today and have been listening all afternoon and I think it is a damn good album. Like some of the rest of you, i am wary of double albums (See 'In Your Honor') but there have only been three or four tracks on the whole damn thing that I was digging the first time through, good mix of the softer stuff, the funky and the rockin, kicks ass I says.

By the Way, I believe was their worst yet, or was it One Hot Minute, but I am able to listen to the Chili's without the same high expectations I have for PJ.

My vote: Stadium Arcadium is a classic
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    each to their own and all but i think stadium arcadium is fucking great....to be fair there are 4 or 5 proper shit songs........but i think the majority of the album is incredible.....i guess it just takes time to settle in and process because of the enourmous quantity of songs

i totally agree.

you either like it or you don't...but everyone is entitled to voice their opinion.
  • Options
    frusciante89frusciante89 Posts: 125
    I just got it today and have been listening all afternoon and I think it is a damn good album. Like some of the rest of you, i am wary of double albums (See 'In Your Honor') but there have only been three or four tracks on the whole damn thing that I was digging the first time through, good mix of the softer stuff, the funky and the rockin, kicks ass I says.

By the Way, I believe was their worst yet, or was it One Hot Minute, but I am able to listen to the Chili's without the same high expectations I have for PJ.

My vote: Stadium Arcadium is a classic
    Agree with you besides you BY THE WAY comment,i thought its a delight to actually hearing good pop music like "I Could Die For You" and "Warm Tape" on BTW, BY THE WAY Slow Cheetah is the most beutiful song ive heard since Man of The Hour and BY THE WAY John Frusciante is a fucking God and Genius. Californication and Dosed are some of the best and Lovely Guitar parts ive heard out of any Modern Rock guiterist and he needs to be worshipped.
  • Options
    chrisopaloozachrisopalooza Posts: 347
    CousinEddy wrote:

i am stoked then! if people that loved by the way hate the album then this must be good!!! by the way was horrible!!!

sweeeeeet!!!
  • Options
    jhawk98jhawk98 Posts: 145
    I'm amazed that someone thinks this album sounds like old peppers. You could not be more wrong. Play FreakeyStyley, and then pop this new one in and rethink that statement. They are not even close. With the exception of about 5 mildly funky tunes where they finally let Flea out of his cage, it's basically a BTW clone a long, bloated, BTW clone.
    I'm just not feeling these guys anymore I guess. It's an okay album, and there are a few tunes that are really good, but overall, its another disappointment to me. Their song structures are way too similar to previous work, and the era of their work (BTW) that appeals the least to me to boot. The vocals, and arrangements on many songs sound EXACTLY like BTW.
    The one saving grace this thing does have is the work of Mr. Frusciante. Absolutely amazing guitar player who shines here like no other. I've always thought he was decent, but he really takes things to another level on this record IMO. If not for that, it would really be a bore. Sadly, this may be the last peppers record I ever buy.
    rock chalk
  • Options
    ChazzamChazzam Posts: 4
    I think this albums great. Double albums nowadays always seem to be bloated but this one has few weak tracks. Definetly better then By The Way but prob not as good as Californication. With this and avacodo i think the chilis and pearl jam are both in for a great year
  • Options
    XiangXiang Posts: 73
    honestly, I think there are enough good songs to make one great CD! But there's a lot of filler and clones of past songs that don't really interest me.

With me, Avocado remains best album of the year so far... :)
  • Options
    allornoneallornone Posts: 269
    I bought it on Tuesday and haven't fully absorbed it yet. There's so many songs - I have to give it a few honest listens before I can give my final thoughts.

Haven't listened to much of disc two, but the more I listen to disc one, the more I like it. Favorites so far are Snow, Hump de Bump (I thought this sucked at first but it's really starting to grow on me), She's Only 18, and Torture Me.

I think there are elements of each of their albums from the John F. era. I do agree that John F. owns the album, they should just rename themselves The John Frusciante Band w/special guests Anthony, Flea, and Chad.
  • Options
    i guess the bottom line for me is that i just prefer the pepppers earlier work where their albums would be:

funk song, funk song, funk song, ballad, funk, funk, funk, ballad, funk

now they basically just do:

ballad, funk, ballad, ballad, funk, ballad, ballad

after 28 songs (only a handful of which can even be described as funk) and over 15 ballads....i just get a little bored. the ballads tend to blend together. and i respect anthony's growth as a singer, but he still doesn't have a hell of a lot of range, so that only hurts the mid-tempo/ballady type songs. overall, this disc would be wayyy better for me if they just cut it down to 17 songs, included all the funky/heavier songs and the best of the ballads. if they did that, it might rank among their best

and nooooo i don't have a problem with bands that are more mellow. and don't criticize me for wanting the peppers to return to their early sound. i respect their willingness to expand their sound and take chances. i just think that overall, there are fewer real risks on SA than there are mediocre quiet songs. just my opinion
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I totally disagree. I think it's a very solid album, easily among the best things they've done. It's certainly their most ambitious. Like most double-albums, not every song is gonna be a gem, and there are probably 5 or 6 tunes that I don't really like, but the majority of it is pretty damn impressive. Frusciante's guitar dominates both discs, and that alone makes the album worth buying in my opinion. It also features Kiedis' best vocal performance of his career. The only weak aspect of the album are his lyrics, which haven't really developed at all since Blood Sugar Sex Magik. But then again, the Chilis have never been known for their lyrical prowess, so it's a minor complaint. Silly lyrics aside, these guys can still write a catchy hook like nobody's business. 28 songs is definitely self-indulgent, but when the music's this good, who gives a shit?

I give it two thumbs up!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    I've liked all the chili peppers albums since 'Mothers Milk'. I've only listened to 'Stadium' twice, and always at a reasonable volume, since I work in an office. My initial impression is that for a double album, there isn't a lot of variety. I was expecting it to be all over the place. Maybe when I play it at home, I'll change my tune.
    I've got to admit, it's getting better.
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Ive listened to most of the album and i think JF's work is immense. But there's something about Flea's playing on this album which just doesnt seem right.

Sure he plays Bass like i can only dream of playing it, but it seems like he's not doing anything new on this album to challenge himself and sounds sort of 'stale'.

Maybe after a few listens ill change my mind but right now that's how it seems to me.
  • Options
    ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    I appreciate the good and bad reviews......I tend to agree with both sides to a degree......I still have most of the 2nd disc to get through as I just got it last nite.....I dig the funk and could stand for a bit harder in that area.....I don't really care for poppy over melodic 2/4 time happy tunes except in small doses...and I don't mind for them reaching back in time for ideas but don't give me rehashes......and there's no way I can tell you which songs I'm talking about YET but still, overall I like it well enough.....I better since I paid $59....(included shipping!)