SMC or not to SMC, that's the question... a little gift!

psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
edited December 2005 in Other Music
hey all!
i've created this thread to celebrate my 1000th post on synergy... that's not much considering that i've been here from the start and even on two or three previous incarnations of the board... anyway, i'm not the talkative kind...

there are always those "look at me, i've reached 20,000 posts" threads but that's not my style... and even if a member's post count is totally insignificant i thought i'd do something special to celebrate the big 1000...

i mostly post in the "other music" forum and so i made everyone in the synergy music club a mixtape...
think of it as a present, a small gift, a thank you...

i've uploaded the thing to the usual place and you don't have to discuss anything in this thread because it's no regular SMC album... on the other hand, if you want to say something about any of the tracks please feel free to do so :D
the only catch is that if you download the mp3s you HAVE to listen to the whole mix all way through at least once... that's all i'm asking for the work i put into this...

it's a mix of more or less recent stuff, lesser known songs but still accessible enough... there should be something for almost everyone in the SMC and it runs nicely, in my opinion... and it fits on a 80min cd-r... here's the tracklist:

01 (ricky gervais)
02 budtheweiser - united states of crazy frog (lyam lynch vs crazy frog)
03 the go! team - junior kickstart
04 (allen ginsberg)
05 el barto and liam b - hurt (johnny cash vs pearl jam vs funkadelic)
06 arctic monkeys - i bet you look good on the dance floor
07 twisted charm - london scene?
08 dogs - london bridge
09 (charles bukowski)
10 madsen - die perfektion
11 (mr burns)
12 die ärzte - unrockbar
13 mugison - murr murr
14 death from above 1979 - black history month (josh homme remix)
15 william elliott whitmore - midnight
16 lamb - cotton wool
17 m.i.a. - bucky done gun
18 futureheads - area
19 tom vek - if you want
20 razorlight - dalston
21 the black velvets - get on your life
22 antony and the johnsons - for today i am a boy
23 (allen ginsberg)
24 ryan adams - night birds
25 white stripes - walking with a ghost (tegan & sara cover)
26 my red cell - knock me down
27 coldcut feat. saul williams - mr nichols
28 (charles bukowski)

i hope you enjoy it!
here's to a thousand more posts!

PLEASE NOTE:
this is not this week's SMC selection
just a little something on the side
an added extra
take it or leave it
BUT PLEASE PARTICIPATE IN BURNIN'S DISCUSSiON WHICH CAN BE FOUND HERE:
http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=153487
thank you
~~~
Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    sweet! i'll grab this tonight. mix tapes are a hell of a lot of work if done right and I have no doubt you did it right. i will give it a proper listen.

cheers.
  • barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Hey, psycosmic, congratulations, what a great way to celebrate!!!
    I was also a member in the old board, but couldn't recover my old id, so I still have some way to go for the big K, but this is awesome...
    cheers to you, to the SMC and the Other Music forum... my favorite place on this board!!
    Salu'
    P:S: by the way, I'll be posting my comments on the Powderfinger CD later tonight, sorry for not being much participative in the last 2 picks, my life has been kinda chaotic lately, but I'm learning how to deal with it...
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Oh this is sweet psycosmic! I'll download as soon as I get home!

There are some awesome names on that tracklist!
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Awesome...2 albums this week :D
    This thing gives me an idea...maybe end of each SMC round all the members can select one song and we make a mix-cd of it. Like a sampler.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • viggs20 wrote:
    maybe end of each SMC round all the members can select one song and we make a mix-cd of it. Like a sampler.

yes, we should do that... if we cast a vote on the stand-out tracks from all the SMC selections it would make a nice sampler...
    or we could have every member decide which track best represents the album they picked...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

• thanks - i grabbed this lastnight and listened to the remix of hurt as i went to bed - sort of odd...in a good way.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    psycosmic wrote:
    yes, we should do that... if we cast a vote on the stand-out tracks from all the SMC selections it would make a nice sampler...
    or we could have every member decide which track best represents the album they picked...
    Sounds like a plan.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • thanks - i grabbed this lastnight and listened to the remix of hurt as i went to bed - sort of odd...in a good way.

i always loved the drums in w.m.a. and i like how the remixers only took great tracks with hurt and maggot brain... most of the time you also have a crappy pop song in those mash-ups for the novelty factor...
    this one is really cool, in my opinion...
    ~~~

I have been having a hell of a time downloading this. Of course the software you can download from YSI isn't Mac compatable.

I will keep trying though.
  • transplant wrote:
    I have been having a hell of a time downloading this. Of course the software you can download from YSI isn't Mac compatable.

I will keep trying though.

i'm sorry to hear that... i like mac's but they don't seem to be very popular around here... but if you use your computer for anything music related a mac is far superior... still, not always compatible and a bit too expensive for me...

i hope you'll get it to work or we could try and figure out another way... i experienced some problems with YSI lately and the download manager comes in very handy (even if it's slooooow)...
    ~~~

psycosmic wrote:
    i'm sorry to hear that... i like mac's but they don't seem to be very popular around here... but if you use your computer for anything music related a mac is far superior... still, not always compatible and a bit too expensive for me...

i hope you'll get it to work or we could try and figure out another way... i experienced some problems with YSI lately and the download manager comes in very handy (even if it's slooooow)...
    yeah, the compatability can be an issue however aside from the RAR and this YSI software, I have been able to get by pretty well.

I will keep trying, the only other thing that could work is if you broke it up into multiple files however i would hate for you to have to go thru that effort. Let me give it another day or two.
  • transplant wrote:
    yeah, the compatability can be an issue however aside from the RAR and this YSI software, I have been able to get by pretty well.

I will keep trying, the only other thing that could work is if you broke it up into multiple files however i would hate for you to have to go thru that effort. Let me give it another day or two.

transplant, did you manage to get it?
    ~~~

psycosmic wrote:
    transplant, did you manage to get it?
    I am going to try again here in a little bit. I haven't been able to try since my last note.

*edit* ok, tried a couple more times, it always stalls out around 40MB. crap.
  • transplant wrote:
    I am going to try again here in a little bit. I haven't been able to try since my last note.

*edit* ok, tried a couple more times, it always stalls out around 40MB. crap.

i'll try to upload it to megaupload.com... let's see if this works better...
    takes about two hours though...
    ~~~

cool. haven't tried megaupload. i will check back later today.
  • transplant wrote:
    cool. haven't tried megaupload. i will check back later today.

ok, it's up now... i sent the link to the gmail account...
    ~~~

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    psycosmic wrote:

I'd vote for this option should this actually come to fruition.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I must agree to that
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
    psycosmic wrote:
    ok, it's up now... i sent the link to the gmail account...
    ok, we are in business! thanks. I'll let you know what I think soon.
  • swedeswede Posts: 558
    thanks mate - will get to it asap - just listening to burning candles one now :)
  • swedeswede Posts: 558
    lol funny first song - finally got it done so listening to it now :) thanks mate
    ok, cool, got this on repeat today.

Budtheweiser - I can't stop laughing at it, don't really know why. Must be those sound effects.

Other artist tracks on first listen that caught my ear and I wrote down to remember

Madsen
    die artzte
    Black Velvets
    White Stripes cover (I haven't heard the original but the tune is good)
    Saul Williams is just plain cool.
    Hurt - I have never heard a mashup before, never fully got the concept until now obviously. Very very cool.

I knew the Ryan Adams, Antony :) tracks so they are a welcome addition.

Listening to this will inspire me to make a mix for my road trip home over the holidays.

Thanks for putting the effort to create this and getting it out there so I could grab it.
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I've only listened to bits and parts so far but I want to say this-

That first music track is fucking AWESOME. I've seen the "Insanity Test" (http://www.richstevens.com/insane.htm) online before, so I'm not sure if that's where the sample came from or if that was taken from somewhere else, but I was rolling.

The WMA/Hurt thing is... interesting. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

The Burns quote in the middle of those two songs is gold. And nice putting the song referencing the Beatsteaks in there.
    psycosmic wrote:
    17 m.i.a. - bucky done gun
    I am not sure if I like the fact you put this on there. I am right on that border of 'great catchy fun' or 'annoying song that is stuck in your head for hours and wish you never heard it' :D
  • transplant wrote:
    Budtheweiser - I can't stop laughing at it, don't really know why. Must be those sound effects.
    AndySlash wrote:
    That first music track is fucking AWESOME. I've seen the "Insanity Test" (http://www.richstevens.com/insane.htm) online before, so I'm not sure if that's where the sample came from or if that was taken from somewhere else, but I was rolling.

i envy you guys... seriously... i totally envy you for not knowing the crazy frog... i wouldn't have thought i'd ever say this, but good for you you're not european...
    everybody who knows me will tell you that i'm a friendly, peaceful person... i even wish well on my enemies...
    but if there's one creature i want to wipe of the surface of this planet it has to be the crazy frog...
    this track is a mash-up of liam lynch's "united states of whatever" and, well, the bloody frog... it's the most annoying ringtone ever created... and that thing even released an ALBUM, aaaaaAAAARRGH...
    read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Frog

transplant wrote:
    Other artist tracks on first listen that caught my ear and I wrote down to remember
    Madsen
    die artzte

yeah, i thought i'd give you some german bands singing in german just so you know they not all sound like rammstein...

transplant wrote:
    m.i.a. - bucky done gun
    I am not sure if I like the fact you put this on there. I am right on that border of 'great catchy fun' or 'annoying song that is stuck in your head for hours and wish you never heard it' :D

this is not really my type of music... but i think there's something that makes m.i.a. stand out, i just can't point my finger at it... her whole "arular" album is so infectious it makes me wanna dance... and i usually don't shake it to this kind of music... great, great record...
    i even found out afterwards that it was trent reznor's favourite album of last year alongside saul williams...
    if you feel like it, check out her other tracks "galang", "sunshowers" and "10$"...
    haha, i should have chosen "arular" for the SMC just to mess with you guys... it's different, but it's definitely worth a listen if you keep an open mind about it... lightyears away from commercial dance crap...
    ~~~

psycosmic wrote:
    i envy you guys... seriously... i totally envy you for not knowing the crazy frog... i wouldn't have thought i'd ever say this, but good for you you're not european...
    everybody who knows me will tell you that i'm a friendly, peaceful person... i even wish well on my enemies...
    but if there's one creature i want to wipe of the surface of this planet it has to be the crazy frog...
    this track is a mash-up of liam lynch's "united states of whatever" and, well, the bloody frog... it's the most annoying ringtone ever created... and that thing even released an ALBUM, aaaaaAAAARRGH...
    read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Frog

I'm not European... but in Mexico we've also suffered the Crazy Frog attacks... something's wrong with the World if that song is a hit... I share your feelings, psy...
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

barcoach wrote:
    I'm not European... but in Mexico we've also suffered the Crazy Frog attacks... something's wrong with the World if that song is a hit... I share your feelings, psy...
    but he/it is working on a duet with David Hasselhoff. Oh my. Crap, it is just a matter of time before we get hit with it. I have been properly warned....
    transplant wrote:
    but he/it is working on a duet with David Hasselhoff. Oh my. Crap, it is just a matter of time before we get hit with it. I have been properly warned....

A DUET WITH DAVID HASSELHOFF???!!!!
    ARMAGGEDON, ARMAGGEDON!!!!
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• transplant wrote:

but as a stereotypical german, i really look forward towards this collaboration :D

nah, just kidding...
    it's so funny how david hasselhoff claimed in an interview that his song "i've been looking for freedom" was responsible for tearing down the berlin wall... haha, yeah, right... :D
    ~~~

psycosmic wrote:
    it's so funny how david hasselhoff claimed in an interview that his song "i've been looking for freedom" was responsible for tearing down the berlin wall... haha, yeah, right... :D

Not even the Scorpions dare to claim that!
    *whistling the annoying whistle of Winds of Change*
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer