Options

Rock Documentaries

2»

Comments

• Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    I have seen the Festival Express. It's a very good doc.
  • Options
    Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" is incredible!!!!!!!!!! Here's a little blurb I lifted off the net:

"Daniel Johnston is a manic-depressive genius singer/songwriter/artist, revealed in this portrait of madness, creativity and love. The Devil and Daniel Johnston is a stunning portrait of a musical and artistic genius who nearly slipped away"

I agree re. "Dig" - definitely a great movie

I also recently watched "Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies" - it was interesting, not a fan of the man or the music......but it was worth seeing. Here's a blurb from Wikipedia:

"After his release from prison, Allin went on another tour, footage of which made it into Todd Phillips' documentary Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies. The documentary also contained graphic scenes from other Allin appearances as well as interviews with Allin, his brother and fellow band member Merle Allin, as well as with the Murder Junkies naked drummer Dino. The film came out in 1994 and was released on DVD in 1997."
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Options
    YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Jandek On Corwood is a docu about Jandek. He's a Houston musician who has been putting out albums since the late 70s. He never played a live gig until 2004 in Glasgow, Scotland. The film was made before he played his first live gig so it doesn't include that.

http://www.jandekoncorwood.com (film site)
    http://tisue.net/jandek (Jandek site)
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Options
    journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    +1 for The Devil and Daniel Johnston!. He kinda documented his whole life through art, song and audio tapes. Very good.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    momofglynn wrote:
    Festival Train.
    Filmed in 1970, a train ride through Canada with Janis Joplin, The Dead, Buddy Guy, The Band etc. Just some really great footage of Jerry and the boys at such a young age. It was the beginning of the end for Janis. Never knew that this even took place and the troubles that they had going through Canada. Lots of riots. The kids thought the shows should had been for free. There were tons of acts and the price per ticket was $15. Good film.

One of my favorites. :)
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    'The Decline Of Western Civilization' the Punk Rock scene in L.A.
    I'm waiting for 'Too Tough To Die', the Ramones Tribute Concert at the Avalon in Hollywood. Red hot Chili peppers, X, Eddie Vedder w/the Dickies, Rollinn w/Steve Jones, Pete Yorn, Rob Zombie... all doing Ramones songs. I'm hoping Eddie Vedder's, 'Sheena Is A Punk Rocker' made the cut.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Todd76 wrote:
    "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" is incredible!!!!!!!!!! Here's a little blurb I lifted off the net:

"Daniel Johnston is a manic-depressive genius singer/songwriter/artist, revealed in this portrait of madness, creativity and love. The Devil and Daniel Johnston is a stunning portrait of a musical and artistic genius who nearly slipped away"

Better yet, the movie trailer itself ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2qtFPOxDMs4

... and yeah, that's Walking the Cow, the song Ed does live.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Evensolo05Evensolo05 Posts: 118
    1991: The Year Punk Broke
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    this one is soooo awesome

From Amazon.com
    Part concert, part history lesson, part summit meeting, and all blues, Lightning in a Bottle puts a bright spotlight on this quintessential American music. There are some heavy hitters at work here, both behind the camera (Martin Scorsese executive produced, while the film was directed by Antoine Fuqua of Training Day and King Arthur) and especially in front of it, with a superb house band and a mind-boggling array of musicians (including B.B. King, Bonnie Raitt, Aerosmith's Steven Tyler and Joe Perry, Solomon Burke, Keb' Mo', Macy Gray, the Neville Brothers, Robert Cray, and John Fogerty, to name but a few) performing at New York's Radio City Music Hall in February, 2003. The idea was to trace the music from its beginnings; thus we get an African song (by Angelique Kidjo), some early gospel blues (the great Mavis Staples), acoustic Delta blues, and so on, right up to blues-drenched electric rock and even some rap (a riveting version of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor" by Chuck D.). Virtually all of the immortals who defined the blues (Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, and even Jimi Hendrix, whose fiery style is re-enacted by Buddy Guy) enter the picture, either through vintage film clips or new performances of their songs. One might wish for more insight into the influence of the blues on jazz (Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit," sung here by India.Arie, is a fine song, but it's not a blues tune) or country, but overall, Lightning in a Bottle is an edifying and, most important, highly entertaining portrait of the music and its heritage. --Sam Graham
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I was looking at We Jam Econo the other day. Might buy it. Love the Minutemen.

Smoked a J. backstage with Mike Watt one time. He was playing in Banyan at the time with Stephin Perkins. Cool guy, fun to chat with...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
    "Don't Need You" for anyone interested in the origins of the Riot Grrrl movement:

http://www.urbancowgirlproductions.com/dont/index.html
    Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 19
    How has no one mentioned "I am trying to break your heart"??????

Quite possibility one of the craziest moments in a band's history to be captured on film. Especially when you consider what Wilco did with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot as far as ambition. Its one of those films that makes you believe in music again.
    Sorry... i got nothing witty to say in the time allotted to me.

• Options
    wcsmithwcsmith Posts: 165
    "Be Here to Love Me" about Townes Van Zandt was really good, kinda depressing, but good.

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzl1O4nPJbI
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
  • Options
    DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Todd76 wrote:
    "
    I also recently watched "Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies" - it was interesting, not a fan of the man or the music......but it was worth seeing. Here's a blurb from Wikipedia:

"After his release from prison, Allin went on another tour, footage of which made it into Todd Phillips' documentary Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies. The documentary also contained graphic scenes from other Allin appearances as well as interviews with Allin, his brother and fellow band member Merle Allin, as well as with the Murder Junkies naked drummer Dino. The film came out in 1994 and was released on DVD in 1997."

Yeah, I watched it on Pitchforktv. It was only showing for a week. Great stuff. Probably the craziest rock n' roll lunatic your likely to see. The music is terrible, but hey.. It got me thinking about the essence of rock n'roll. If "rock n'roll" is about rebellion & not giving a fuck about anything then GG Allin was the real deal. The bit near the end when he shits on the floor, sings/shouts at it and then eats it....mental. I think all his anger may have be cause by the size of his dick, like a little marble it was ;0)
  • Options
    Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten. Kinda more of a biography than a rock documentary, but any film about Joe Strummer is a film about punk. :)

Kickin' this thread back up as I just got home from vacation and had this DVD waiting for me ...

This was a great rock doc. All the post-Clash Strummer stuff was really cool to hear and watch. Made me sad, yet again, for his loss (yeah, it's been over 5 years, but, it was a big loss).

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Also, for Punk documentaries, check out

- Another State of Mind: DIY documentary about Social Distortion and Youth Brigade touring together and how just about everything seems to go wrong. Worth seeing just for the part featuring Minor Threat.

- American Hardcore: Doc based on the book of the same name. Really cool.

- Punk: Attitude. Just awesome!
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    red mos wrote:

"Running down a dream" the recently released Tom Petty documentary is awesome. it's just on Tom and the heartbreakers, and not a genre on the whole, but is amazing.
    I'm so glad someone mentioned this. I got it for my birthday in April and haven't stopped watching it since. I even bought the book today. It has some awesome pictures in it aswell as setlists and even a pic of Eddie. Everyone should watch this movie, it's just so good.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Yielded wrote:
    - American Hardcore: Doc based on the book of the same name. Really cool.
    Awesome documentary. Was cool to hear some of the minor players talking as well as Hank, MacKaye, Ginn et al.

I can't remember exactly, did it have footage of Reagan Youth? Brilliant band.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I'm told there is a doc out called something like "The Day the Music Died" that interviews a bunch of bands about the state of the record industry and music in general. Apparently interviews with My Morning Jacket and a bunch of other. Anybody seen this or have info on it? I can't find anything for it.

I enjoyed these a lot:
    Bittersweet Motel - Phish
    Devil & Daniel Johnston

very interested in the Flaming lips and Western Civ ones.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    Just got through "Live Forever: The Rise and Fall of Brit Pop" ... about the rise, peak, and fall of the mid 90s Brit pop movement ... Blur, Oasis and Pulp mostly.

Might be a little too recent to look back on this time (as noted by Damon Albarn's still frustrated feelings towards the whole Blur v Oasis battle, maybe in 10 years he'll be a bit more candid about it), but the interviews with Jarvis Cocker, Albarn and the Gallagher brothers were intersting. (Interviews with the Gallaghers are ALWAYS intersting).

Some of the paripheral bands of the time that got mentioned seemed to be forced ... like the Massive Attack and Portishead pieces. And I tihnk I counted 3 times where Radiohead was being played but they didn't get one mention ... granted, they weren't really a part of this Brit pop movement, but, either mention that or don't play the tunes.

Anyway ... if you like the music, it will certianly hold your interest.

Side note: PJ fans won't like one of the British journalists who claimed that from the Seattle grunge scene, only one band was worth listening to, that being Nirvana. Seemed a bit myopic for a music journalist.