Options

Rock Documentaries

Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
edited May 2008 in Other Music
I've seen two awesome movies about rock music. "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" is a cool look at the history of heavy metal, and "Hype!" the movie about grunge. Does anyone know of any other movies like these?
Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    This is from a different genre of music and it's called Roots, Rock, Reggae...*Inside The Jamaican Music Scene (1977)* I was born there briefly then moved here and it tells the story and history of reggae music in Jamaica.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    DIG is theee best rock docu I've seen

Here's a trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84oiQJ1N9To
  • Options
    Django wrote:

Here's a trailer

i was about to post the same thing
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    Django wrote:

Here's a trailer

yes
  • Options
    Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten. Kinda more of a biography than a rock documentary, but any film about Joe Strummer is a film about punk. :)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    cool, i just read the description on this, sounds good thanks. i cant see the trailer my work comp blocks youtube. ill check it out when i get home. any others?
  • Options
    The Ramones - End of the century documentary is also really good
  • Options
    hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    It's a very different genre, but Standing in the Shadows of Motown is a great documentary about the Motown house band. It has interviews and performances from all the surviving musicians. Lots of great stories and music in that one.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten. Kinda more of a biography than a rock documentary, but any film about Joe Strummer is a film about punk. :)

I preordered the DVD, cannot wait to see it.

I also ordered Loud! Quiet! Loud! ... a look at the Pixies through the years, if anyone has seen that, I'd love your take.

DIG was fantastic ... amazing look (and a long look) at two bands with similar roots and what diverging tracks their careers took.

I saw one last night on Sundance about the Minutemen ... that was pretty good, not great (y'all know who Mike Watt is, right?)

Sundance and IFC show a lot of these, I'm hooked on them.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    hendrix78 wrote:
    It's a very different genre, but Standing in the Shadows of Motown is a great documentary about the Motown house band. It has interviews and performances from all the surviving musicians. Lots of great stories and music in that one.

I saw Smokey Robinson in Palm Beach, Florida back in March the day before my birthday. That show IS in the top 10 of all the concerts I've ever been to or seen. What an entertainer, it was a Valentines gift to my girl and she nothing about him. However, when he sang some of his classics she was singing right along.

Everybody left that show with a smile, I wish there was a recording of that show. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    jimed14 wrote:
    I saw one last night on Sundance about the Minutemen ... that was pretty good, not great (y'all know who Mike Watt is, right?)
    I was looking at We Jam Econo the other day. Might buy it. Love the Minutemen.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I own We Jam Econo, but haven't actually gotten around to watching the documentary yet. I can say it's worth getting for the disc of live Minutemen. I believe it has 2 full shows. They're amateur recordings, so it's not the greatest sound or picture quality ever, but they rock.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I was looking at We Jam Econo the other day. Might buy it. Love the Minutemen.

A lot of it is interviewing Mike Watt as he drives through San Pedro ... good stuff ... but it just felt hastily put together .... then again, maybe that's what the intention was knowing the Minutemen. Might be due to the fact there really wasn't a lot of footage of them.

One of the funnier parts was when Mike was talking about the tune Anchor, "yeah, it's like 2 minuntes long" ... (looks at CD case) ... "wow, it's 2 minutes and 30 seconds ... it's our Opus." ... got a good laugh out of that.

If you like them, you should watch it.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Brain Of E wrote:
    I've seen two awesome movies about rock music. "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" is a cool look at the history of heavy metal, and "Hype!" the movie about grunge. Does anyone know of any other movies like these?

If you're into metal, try The Decline of Western Civilization 2 - The Metal Years ... it came out in 1988, so, lots of hair metal bands .... it was almost predicting the end of metal pretty accurately. It's funny to see the up and coming bands (all of which never became famous) vs the vets (like Ozzy, Lemmy, Dave Mustaine) ... the newer kids were so clueless.

The original "Decline" was a much better look at punk, but, if you're into metal, you'll wnat the 2nd one.

• Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    The Fearless Freaks (It's about the Flaming Lips) is probably the best I have ever seen.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    If you're into metal, try The Decline of Western Civilization 2 - The Metal Years ... it came out in 1988, so, lots of hair metal bands .... it was almost predicting the end of metal pretty accurately. It's funny to see the up and coming bands (all of which never became famous) vs the vets (like Ozzy, Lemmy, Dave Mustaine) ... the newer kids were so clueless.

The original "Decline" was a much better look at punk, but, if you're into metal, you'll wnat the 2nd one.

great awesome, i am into metal, but i like all kinds of music so i'll make sure to check out both. thanks
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    I preordered the DVD, cannot wait to see it.

I also ordered Loud! Quiet! Loud! ... a look at the Pixies through the years, if anyone has seen that, I'd love your take.

Its not bad. The Pixies would be one of my favourite bands ever, but they're story isn't hugely interesting.

By the way, if you were thinking of getting a Pixies book avoid "Gigantic the story of the pixies by John Mendelsshon" it's a total hack job, the worst music bio I've read & I must have read over 40 of em by now.

Go for, Fool the World: The Oral History of a Band Called Pixies: An Oral History of the "Pixies" by Josh Frank & Caryn Ganz

That's if you were...;0)

The Metallica documentary, Some kind of Monster is great too. Best thing they've done since and justice for all
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,503
    g under p wrote:
    This is from a different genre of music and it's called Roots, Rock, Reggae...*Inside The Jamaican Music Scene (1977)* I was born there briefly then moved here and it tells the story and history of reggae music in Jamaica.

Peace
    I'm happy to hear that your birth was brief. Very fortunate for your mother. ;)
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    I saw a pretty good one about the Who on VH1 Classic last week (I forget the name of it though...). It must've been filmed a few years ago because Roger and Pete clearly weren't talking to each other and there was definitely some venom in the way they talked about each other. Townsend said at one point "John and Keith were geniuses and I was on the verge. Roger was just a singer." Good stuff. I'm not a huge fan, but it definitely kept me captivated if only to hear each band members very different takes on events in the band's history.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Brain Of E wrote:

Check out the Last Waltz.
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:

Being that I'm a metal fan this was great movie to see from the past.

Peace

• Options
    Django wrote:
    Its not bad. The Pixies would be one of my favourite bands ever, but they're story isn't hugely interesting.

By the way, if you were thinking of getting a Pixies book avoid "Gigantic the story of the pixies by John Mendelsshon" it's a total hack job, the worst music bio I've read & I must have read over 40 of em by now.

Go for, Fool the World: The Oral History of a Band Called Pixies: An Oral History of the "Pixies" by Josh Frank & Caryn Ganz

That's if you were...;0)

The Metallica documentary, Some kind of Monster is great too. Best thing they've done since and justice for all

that's a fair point, about the Pixies story not being hugely interesting ...

Thanks for the tip on the book .... not a huge fan of books on bands (granted, I'll read things like "Fargo Rock City" by Chuck Klosterman all day long), I find video documentaries on bands far more intersting, after all, it includes the music.

I saw Some Kind of Monster .... it was intersting ... but, it just got me more pissed that Jason Newsted left the band ... I felt like Kirk Hammett was the only likable guy in the band ... and James to a certain degree ... Lars gets more annoying as time goes by / I see him speak more (and this has nothing to do with Napster) ... but that's for another thread.

• Options
    Check out the Last Waltz.

yes, i have this one and it's great, but it's really more of a concert movie and not a documentary.
  • Options
    I personally enjoy Fearless Freaks....Flaming Lips Doc.
  • Options
    CobbelstoneCobbelstone Posts: 35
    There was a PBS documentary called something simply like "Rock and Roll" or "Rock" that was released in like 99 or 00. It basically takes you through the entire history of rock. It's a big box set type thing. I'm not sure where you could get it- a university library perhaps. And I think it was sponsered by the experience music project, so it's possible it could be found there.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Fearless Freaks (Flaming Lips) is a great one.

I'd add If I Should Fall From Grace... a documentary on Shane Macgowan of the Pogues.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    A certain BBC documentary called Johnny Too Bad was rather good. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/music/features/john-martyn.shtml
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    There was a PBS documentary called something simply like "Rock and Roll" or "Rock" that was released in like 99 or 00. It basically takes you through the entire history of rock. It's a big box set type thing. I'm not sure where you could get it- a university library perhaps. And I think it was sponsered by the experience music project, so it's possible it could be found there.
    when I worked at Hollywood video they had some video series called the History of Rock and roll. I got the one on the 90s because I had to do my jr year high school report on music in that genre.

I second the university libraries,as well, no telling what you will find there.

"Running down a dream" the recently released Tom Petty documentary is awesome. it's just on Tom and the heartbreakers, and not a genre on the whole, but is amazing.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    red mos wrote:
    "Running down a dream" the recently released Tom Petty documentary is awesome. it's just on Tom and the heartbreakers, and not a genre on the whole, but is amazing.

AWESOME documentary!!!! watching it you dont realize its 4hours long!!!!!
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    Festival Train.
    Filmed in 1970, a train ride through Canada with Janis Joplin, The Dead, Buddy Guy, The Band etc. Just some really great footage of Jerry and the boys at such a young age. It was the beginning of the end for Janis. Never knew that this even took place and the troubles that they had going through Canada. Lots of riots. The kids thought the shows should had been for free. There were tons of acts and the price per ticket was $15. Good film.

Isn't the Fearless Freaks from the Flaming Lips a documentary too? I liked that a lot too.
    Let's Go Red Sox!