The hard rock/MetaL/80's metal thread

fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
edited August 2008 in Other Music
I've seen little threads pop up here & there discussing this genre of music, so I thought we could maybe discuss it in one cool, awesome thread.

Ideas for discussion:

1) Hard rock
2) 80's metal as a whole (WASP, Crue, MetallicA, Maiden, Megadeth)
3) "Hair" metal (Ratt, Poison, etc)
3) Modern metal (Mastodon, Avenged Sevenfold)
4) Anything else that you think would fit in well here.

Just for fun, I'll tell you this: On the way into work Friday, I put on Dokken's "Til The Living End." I forgot what a great, kick-ass song this was. I was flattening the mountaintops that gorgeous morning, focused totally on the ferocious George Lynch riff and just hearing Don’s vox as background. I just started thrashing in the car, it was great! And I just backed it up and played it again!

In terms of quality, this year has been a great year for new releases from 80's metal bands:

Whitesnake - Good to be Bad

Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again

Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Motley Crue - Saints of Los Angeles

Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted

Testament - Formation of Damnation

MetallicA - We hope it doesn't suck
Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Guns N' Roses-Chinese Democracy leaks
    Shackler's Revenge should be out within the month. Axl's almost back.
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Guns N' Roses-Chinese Democracy leaks
    Shackler's Revenge should be out within the month. Axl's almost back.

Those were good! Or, at least I heard they were good! :)

I am very eager to hear Shackler's Revenge. Will the tune be available through any other format than by buying Guitar Hero or whatever game that is?
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    The new Soulfly album Conquer is fuckin' awesome. Got a really nice egyptian undertone in there. Really recommend this one if you like heavy shit.

Also there's a new Motorhead album out next month and i think i might get tickets to see them in Manchester.

Not heard much from Metallica yet tho. Anyone gonna get the 'Coffin' box set? Be worth a small fortune in a few years i think.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
    mole1985 wrote:
    The new Soulfly album Conquer is fuckin' awesome. Got a really nice egyptian undertone in there. Really recommend this one if you like heavy shit.

I don't have the new Soulfly, but I do have the new one from Cavalera Conspiracy. It has both of the Cavalera brothers, which hasn't happened since the late 90's, I think. Heavy, good groove.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    fanch75 wrote:
    I don't have the new Soulfly, but I do have the new one from Cavalera Conspiracy. It has both of the Cavalera brothers, which hasn't happened since the late 90's, I think. Heavy, good groove.

Still not picked this up yet. It's on the list....
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913

This record is mindblowingly good. Great to hear Skolnick back in the lineup. Sucks these guys weren't part of the "big 4" of thrash, or didn't make a bigger impact during the 80s/early 90s. To me Testament is and was the most consistently good thrash band to emerge during that time. Highly recommed this to thrash fans
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    mole1985 wrote:

Not heard much from Metallica yet tho. Anyone gonna get the 'Coffin' box set? Be worth a small fortune in a few years i think.

I saw it on http://www.play.com it costs a small fortune now, never mind a few years
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
    NewDamage wrote:

This record is mindblowingly good. Great to hear Skolnick back in the lineup. Sucks these guys weren't part of the "big 4" of thrash, or didn't make a bigger impact during the 80s/early 90s. To me Testament is and was the most consistently good thrash band to emerge during that time. Highly recommed this to thrash fans

I love Testament's Low album; that thing smokes. I like this new album, but not as much as Low.
  • Megadeth's last album which came out last year was really good.
    "Up here so high the sky I scrape,
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest,
    Just like innocence."
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    jamie uk wrote:
    I saw it on http://www.play.com it costs a small fortune now, never mind a few years

What the dickins?!?!?!?! Fuck That.
    I'll just go with the average joe copy since the digipack doesn't have the dvd with it.

Alice Cooper had a new one out this year Along Came A Spider, aint heard it mind just thought I'd throw it out there.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    The new CRUE is freakin good. I cant stop listening to it!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    No one named Exodus yet! super heavy thrash band! that's been in the scene for years and years and still keeps on going.
    genie wrote:
    No one named Exodus yet! super heavy thrash band! that's been in the scene for years and years and still keeps on going.

I haven't kept up with Exodus in recent years. How are those two new albums? I bought the "comeback" record, "Tempo of the Damned" in 2004, but now I hear they don't even have Souza in the band

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    Vitalogy7 wrote:
    Megadeth's last album which came out last year was really good.

United Abomination? Yeah that CD is badass. Megadeth is really awesome.

As far as metal goes I enjoy real technical stuff, Lamb of God for example...some serious talent in that band (Instrumentally)

And IRON MAIDEN! YEAH!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSTBlbylMzM&feature=related
  • Are there any fans of real metal here?
    What ya got?
  • I like the new whitesnake, very good.

Not to sure on the new Crue one though, I am hoping it will grow on me.

Saw Cavalera Conspiracy the other month and can't say I was all that impressed.

Heard a couple of songs from Alice Coopers new one, they are pretty good.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
    Feedbacker wrote:
    Are there any fans of real metal here?

What would that be?

• I mean like, extreme metal. I was just busting balls because most of what has been talked about on page one is just heavy metal/80's thrash bands.

Let me re-phrase; Are there any fans of death metal, black metal, or any other sub genre other than thrash?

I personally love black(leaning more towards the folkish side mostly) doom, and some death sometimes. I love some post-metal bands but idk if that's technically a genre or why people even call it metal. It's just thicker post rock with harsh vocals really.
    You mean bands like Mayhem?
  • They are black metal so yes.

I used to listen to them a lot actually, not so much anymore. Not to say I'm not still a fan but I've just moved onto other things.
    I don't listen to the black metal stuff. The cookie monster type vocals just don't do it for me, and it seems pretty repetitive and just heavy for the sake of being heavy. It has its place but not for me.

That being said, you have 10 posts total and 3 are in this thread. You should strive to have 66.6% of your posts in the metal thread. That would rule!
  • Black metal isn't very heavy, it's just really fuzzy and underproduced for the sake of sounding evil. The tempos are often extremely high and it is often very repetitive too. It has more rasps and shrieks rather than the cookie monster growls you are thinking of that is often found in death metal. It's all about the dark atmosphere rather than trying to show off riffs and be crushingly heavy like in death metal. It was kind of created as an anti death metal type of thing (kind of like how punk was to rock)

Like I said I'm more into the folk inspired stuff anyways.

Anyways, for anybody who cares here are some recomendations based on what I like

Immortal's Sons Of Northern Darkness and At The Heart Of Winter are some really great newer BM albums that are very thrashy with awesome riffs and drumwork. The early BM is the shit most people get scared of/turned off from when they listen to it, these albums are a little different and seems to go places rather than just a steady drone of guitar and blast beat drums.

Ulver's first album Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Captiler is an amazing album tbh, it's about 35 minutes long and has some folk elements in it, and clean vocals on some parts. It's very relaxing and uplifting (unlike most BM) and I recomend it to anybody who is into Black Metal and hasn't heard it before.

A great band that blends folk and metal is Finsterforst, their song Lauf Der Welt is probably my favorite metal song of all time.
    Feedbacker wrote:
    I mean like, extreme metal. I was just busting balls because most of what has been talked about on page one is just heavy metal/80's thrash bands.

Let me re-phrase; Are there any fans of death metal, black metal, or any other sub genre other than thrash?

I personally love black(leaning more towards the folkish side mostly) doom, and some death sometimes. I love some post-metal bands but idk if that's technically a genre or why people even call it metal. It's just thicker post rock with harsh vocals really.

I was in the Tampa area in the early 90s when Floridian death metal exploded. You should do yourself a favor if you haven't already checked out Death, Atheist, Cynic, Malevolent Creation, Morbid Angel, Deicide. To me that's true death metal, not the Gothenburg crap (though some of it is decent). As far as black metal...I was always a big Emperor fan. You hear any of Ihsahn's solo stuff?

• Oh definately, all of those bands are great but I'm not a big death metal fan. Well I am kind of but not as much as black and folk. Have you heard of Decrepit Birth? They are pretty cool. Really technical though. I saw them live once opening for The Black Dahlia Murder. How about Bolt Thrower? Love some of their stuff.

TBH I like a few bands people refer to as not being "real death metal" like Amon Amarth and The Black Dahlia Murder (first album). I'm seeing Amon Amarth in a few months with Belphegor and Ensiferum opening. I like Belphegor and haven't checked out Ensiferum yet.

Yeah I bought Ihsahn's new CD the week it came out (few months ago?) when I saw it on the new release shelf of Newbury Comics because I new he was in Emperor and was listening to them heavily at the time. I only listened to it a few times. I've been meaning to give it another listen. I remember liking some of it but not the whole thing.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    NewDamage wrote:
    I was in the Tampa area in the early 90s when Floridian death metal exploded. You should do yourself a favor if you haven't already checked out Death, Atheist, Cynic, Malevolent Creation, Morbid Angel, Deicide. To me that's true death metal, not the Gothenburg crap (though some of it is decent). As far as black metal...I was always a big Emperor fan. You hear any of Ihsahn's solo stuff?
    Death, Atheist and Cynic are killer. Definitely better than the Gothenburg bands.

I'm more of a black metal fan though. Love Burzum and enjoy Emperor, early Darkthrone, Mayhem and some of the french shit like Vlad Tepes.

As someone mentioned, Bergtatt by Ulver is AMAZING.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    So, are the Mayhem guys for real is that crazy stuff total gimmickery?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    fanch75 wrote:
    So, are the Mayhem guys for real is that crazy stuff total gimmickery?
    Well the band as they are now are, I'd imagine, are just like any other metal band who use gimmicks and "evil" imagery. They only have about one original member though. In the past they've had one singer who killed himself and a bassist who murdered their guitarist who himself advocated rape and murder as ways to destroy judao-christian doctrines... :rolleyes:

Must be something in the water in Norway. Or in the woods.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Mayhem are nuts. They are on a DVD called "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" and they are interviewed on it. The interview was cut short.

I really, really wish the interviewer had asked Mayhem if they like Bon Jovi and Warrant, and which member of Mayhem gets the most chicks after the gigs. That'd be hilarious.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Death, Atheist and Cynic are killer. Definitely better than the Gothenburg bands.

I'm more of a black metal fan though. Love Burzum and enjoy Emperor, early Darkthrone, Mayhem and some of the french shit like Vlad Tepes.

As someone mentioned, Bergtatt by Ulver is AMAZING.

Yes Yes Yes. Love all those BM bands you listed, and I was the one who mentioned Ulver.