The hard rock/MetaL/80's metal thread

2»

Comments

• transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    though I did grow up on 80's metal (including all those Hair bands) will always have a place for it, I currently listen to more atmospheric BM. Bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Summoning, Nadja, Alcest and Amesoeurs. Xasthur intrigues me, and Wold is probably the most difficult band I have ever attempted to get into. I find Emperor a tough listen however I enjoy the 2 releases I have. Darkthrone/Mayhem I have just so I could get a picture of the beginning. I don't listen to them much.

I have my tickets for the Opeth/High On Fire/The Baroness show in October. That should be very, very good.

Can't much get into DM, it just doesn't work for me. I don't know where Pig Destroyer fall into all this (metal genres are annoying) but they are solid as hell.

the new Priest CD is fantastic.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    transplant wrote:
    though I did grow up on 80's metal (including all those Hair bands) will always have a place for it, I currently listen to more atmospheric BM. Bands like Wolves in the Throne Room, Summoning, Nadja, Alcest and Amesoeurs. Xasthur intrigues me, and Wold is probably the most difficult band I have ever attempted to get into. I find Emperor a tough listen however I enjoy the 2 releases I have. Darkthrone/Mayhem I have just so I could get a picture of the beginning. I don't listen to them much.
    Wolves in the Throne Room are great. I wouldn't call Nadja black metal though. They're more a drone/doom band, and a damn fine one at that.

Ever heard Paysage D'Hiver? Swiss ambient black metal. VERY lo-fi production but insanely atmospheric.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Wolves in the Throne Room are great. I wouldn't call Nadja black metal though. They're more a drone/doom band, and a damn fine one at that.

Ever heard Paysage D'Hiver? Swiss ambient black metal. VERY lo-fi production but insanely atmospheric.

You have a pretty ecclectic taste in music. I'd like to see what your CD collection looks like.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
    fanch75 wrote:
    You have a pretty ecclectic taste in music. I'd like to see what your CD collection looks like.
    I'll confess to downloading a LOT, hence the eclecticism, although if I could afford to (I'm just a student) I would get it all on CD.

Anyway, knock yourself. Here's most of my collection :D Haven't got round to cataloguing everything but maybe one day.

http://rateyourmusic.com/~Genesis_Jaime
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I wouldn't call Nadja black metal though. They're more a drone/doom band, and a damn fine one at that.

ha! I stuck Nadja in there at the end. You are correct, they aren't black metal.

I haven't heard Paysage D'Hiver. Sounds right up my alley.

I really hope someone out there has attempted Wold - Screech Owl. I want others take on it. It literally makes my head hurt.
  • Anyone else into Walls of Jericho?
    Feedbacker wrote:
    A great band that blends folk and metal is Finsterforst, their song Lauf Der Welt is probably my favorite metal song of all time.
    do you listen to Korpiklaani? I think they are fantastic fun. If so, how do you compare the 2 bands?
    It's FRIDAY and I'm in need of heaviness
  • I have heard a few songs from Korpiklaani but it was a while ago. What album would you recommend?
  • lisamlisam Posts: 75
    The 80's hair band was my era. All the way from Poison, Motley Crue, Skid Row and even Warrant. People put shit on them but they were crucial for the time, they were the stepping stone from the tragic time that was 80's pop and rolled it over into the 90's grunge. I can still listen to them know and know every fucking lyric.

And the new Motley Crue album and what ive heard of Chinese Democracy sounds brilliant. Also worth making a note of is Nikki Sixx's band Sixx Am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJDDxHIaaVk
    Shot me with your funk gun
    Feedbacker wrote:
    I have heard a few songs from Korpiklaani but it was a while ago. What album would you recommend?
    my order of preference

1. Tales Along This Road
    2. Tervaskanto
    3. Keep On Galloping
    4. Korven Kuningas
    5. Voice Of Wilderness
    I posted this in the Dokken thread, but it's also very much at home here. Any fan of the genre should check out this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7m1x5XAKYk
    Thought I would share a couple BM releases I just picked up.

Weakling - Dead as Dreams. Late to the game on this one however...WOW.

Krallice - s/t. Musicianship is sharp here. Very frantic, more prog elements than your typical BM release..or at least the ones that I have.
    transplant wrote:
    Thought I would share a couple BM releases I just picked up.

Weakling - Dead as Dreams. Late to the game on this one however...WOW.
    Great album.

Check out Ildjarn if you haven't before.
  • Amon Amarth, Ensiferum, and Belphegor are touring together. Anybody else going to see this? I am going to Worcester, MA on October 18th. It's going to be really great.
    Feedbacker wrote:
    Immortal's Sons Of Northern Darkness and At The Heart Of Winter are some really great newer BM albums that are very thrashy with awesome riffs and drumwork. The early BM is the shit most people get scared of/turned off from when they listen to it, these albums are a little different and seems to go places rather than just a steady drone of guitar and blast beat drums.

Ulver's first album Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Captiler is an amazing album tbh, it's about 35 minutes long and has some folk elements in it, and clean vocals on some parts. It's very relaxing and uplifting (unlike most BM) and I recomend it to anybody who is into Black Metal and hasn't heard it before.
    Just picked up At The Heart Of Winter and Pure Holocaust. Winter is solid as hell. Pure Holocaust is a nice to have but will rarely play. I will for sure pick up Sons of Northern Darkness next.

Also Ulver - The Mardrigal Of Night. Haven't listened yet though but from all reviews, I am expecting a rather brutal listen (in a good way...sorta). I get most of my music these days from eMusic and that was the only release they had.
  • Madrigal of the Night is basically just straight up Black Metal if I remember correctly. I prefer Bergtatt over it much more.

I might be seeing Finntroll next monday in Cambridge. :)