Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    kdpjam wrote:
    woot, d! shake it off!!!
    :)

I'm pretty excited i guess wilco is one of my top 5 fav bands and besides being one foot away from j mascis on the front row of a general admission show this will be the best seats i've ever had to see one of my favorite bands.

I'm hoping i'm on nels's side :D

I want to watch his pinky catch fire when he plays.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I really love this album, but I've noticed it's taking quite a beating from certain critics, mostly from hipster holier-than-thou elitists who don't like the fact that it's more stripped down and concise than their previous two albums. It's funny, as soon as I heard the first song on the record, I knew the hipsters were gonna hate it. Critics are so predictable these days. Heaven forbid Wilco dips back into their alt-country roots and relaxes for a bit. I read a review today that bashed the album just because the guy thought there were too many guitar solos and not enough experimental noise. Ridiculous! Sure, the band has flirted with different sounds on past records, but people seem to forget that at it's heart, Wilco is essentially a straight-up rock n' roll band. They always have been, and that element was still a part of their sound even when they were dabbling in experimental art-rock on YHF and AGIB. On Sky Blue Sky, Tweedy seems to be more focused on songwriting, rather than trying to challenge the listener with weird sounds. It's a gentle, focused, and beautiful record, and Jeff has never sounded more clear-headed than he does here. This album is simply about great songs and brilliant ensemble playing. No extra bells & whistles are needed on these tunes.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    better late than never, but i just got this CD and i think its beautiful. much different from a ghost is born, which i also liked a lot, just this one is more laid back and relaxing.
    Dollpartz wrote:
    better late than never, but i just got this CD and i think its beautiful. much different from a ghost is born, which i also liked a lot, just this one is more laid back and relaxing.
    It will most likely end up in my top three of the year. Quite a nice addition to their other works.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I'm now loving this album. I should have remembered that Wilco makes albums that grow on you. It's their thing.

I'm also super excited because I just bought tickets to see them for the first time. Can't wait until October!
  • so pumped that wilco added a pittsburgh date. ill be seeing them in oct!
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense

9/28/05 Pittsburgh
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    8/2/07 Vic
    8/5/07 Lolla
    6/16/08 Columbia
    8/17/08 DC (EV Solo)
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    fell in love with this record after seeing the dvd doco that comes with the special ed. it gave me a new found respect & understanding of the songs & why the album sounds like it does. the performances on the dvd are awesome & the interview with jeff is quite illuminating. sort of like single video theory. a great addition to the grand wilco catalogue :)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    this album grew on me a lot. it's a much more mellow and laid back album than their past 3 or so and took some getting used to. but once i gave it time, i love some of the jams on there more than anything theey've done before... hate it here, impossible germany, and a few others.
  • Impossible Germany is just beautifull and weird... that new dude on the guitar is simply sick. Other songs cannot satisfy my soul as this one, so I would rate album 734 on scale from 1- 1000.
    ??!
  • Sawyer wrote:
    wilco is just so damn boring

Agreed. I dunno why they're closing Voodoo Fest.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Great album- this is the first Wilco album that I've enjoyed
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Saturnal wrote:
    Agreed. I dunno why they're closing Voodoo Fest.

Perhaps because bassist John Stirratt is a New Orleans native?

I agree that they're not the most obvious choice for a big festival closer, but it would be hard for almost anyone to follow Rage Against the Machine as a co-headliner at the same festival.

No matter. I'll be at Voodoo soaking up some great Sunday night Wilco!

Sky Blue Sky has been a really great album to chill to this summer, and I look forward to seeing them perform again on this tour.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i can't state enough how much i love this album.
    album of the year!
  • JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    nfanel wrote:
    i can't state enough how much i love this album.
    album of the year!

It is right up there for me with Dinosaur Jr- Beyond as albums I am enjoying the most this year.

Either Way is about as good of a song to open an album as I can remember..

On and on and on as an ender is a close second to Reservations from YHF in terms of album closers for them, but it's weird probably my two favorite songs on this album are the first and last tunes.
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
    By the way for all fans of Jeff Tweedy, here is a link to one of the best blogs on the net, that has a concert he did in someones living room.

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

Tons of cool stuff on the site itself, the girl who does it is a huge Pearl Jam fan,(Heather) so everyone here should find lots of goodies on it.

Jason
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    JDE-PJ wrote:
    By the way for all fans of Jeff Tweedy, here is a link to one of the best blogs on the net, that has a concert he did in someones living room.

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html

Tons of cool stuff on the site itself, the girl who does it is a huge Pearl Jam fan,(Heather) so everyone here should find lots of goodies on it.
    nice! thanks! can't wait to listen when i get home...

and agreed on either way.

Jason

Jason
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    love listening to this album on a rainy day.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Wilco is on Austin City Limits tonight!
    Cock Fight.
    Can't wait to see ACL!

Everyone just make sure to check your local listings. I know my local PBS isn't showing it until 3:00 am on the 5th of the month.
    They were great on ACL. I mean really really good!

Nels Cline takes the band to a new level. His Musicianship paired with Glen's and the rest of the band gelling with them is amazing.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    intodeep wrote:
    They were great on ACL. I mean really really good!

Nels Cline takes the band to a new level. His Musicianship paired with Glen's and the rest of the band gelling with them is amazing.

Ah crap I missed it! Any chance for a re-run in the near future? Hopefully they'll sell it on dvd. I have an early Son Volt performance on ACL and it was recorded it DTS. Very nice.
    gabers wrote:
    Ah crap I missed it! Any chance for a re-run in the near future? Hopefully they'll sell it on dvd. I have an early Son Volt performance on ACL and it was recorded it DTS. Very nice.

I don;'t think it will be replayed soon, but i'd keep an eye out in afew months they usually do re shows.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I saw them at Voodoo Fest in New Orleans and they blew me away. Sky Blue Sky might have the some of the best guitar work on any album this year. Nels Cline adds a whole new dimension to the band, and he rips it live.
    I finally got to see ACL last night. The performance was overwhelmingly great. Yeah, I was actually overwhelmed. I swear I'm falling more and more in love with this band every day.

I too have the Son Volt DVD , and it's so nice seeing a full ACL program. I'd love it if Wilco ended up releasing the full show on DVD eventually. Better yet, they could release all three of their appearances - I've never seen the first one. Too bad Uncle Tupelo never appeared on the show . . .
    soclose wrote:
    I finally got to see ACL last night. The performance was overwhelmingly great. Yeah, I was actually overwhelmed. I swear I'm falling more and more in love with this band every day.

I too have the Son Volt DVD , and it's so nice seeing a full ACL program. I'd love it if Wilco ended up releasing the full show on DVD eventually. Better yet, they could release all three of their appearances - I've never seen the first one. Too bad Uncle Tupelo never appeared on the show . . .

I have not seen the first one either and would love to see it.

I was actually listening to some uncle tupelo last night:)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    I have not seen the first one either and would love to see it.

I was actually listening to some uncle tupelo last night:)

Nice!

I had my iPod on shuffle last night and I think at least every third song that came up was Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Son Volt or Jay Farrar. I try to vary my listening, but I can't get away from these guys! I need a bigger iPod so that I can fit some more music in there.
    The Sky Blue Sky Bonus EP is available now - downloading as I type, and it is slooooooow going.

Instructions here:
    http://wilcoworld.net/sbs/

And the tracklisting is:
    01: The Thanks I Get
    02: Let´s Not Get Carried Away
    03: One True Vine
    04: Impossible Germany (live)
    05: Hate It Here (live)
    soclose wrote:
    The Sky Blue Sky Bonus EP is available now - downloading as I type, and it is slooooooow going.

Instructions here:
    http://wilcoworld.net/sbs/

And the tracklisting is:
    01: The Thanks I Get
    02: Let´s Not Get Carried Away
    03: One True Vine
    04: Impossible Germany (live)
    05: Hate It Here (live)

Nice i have the first three already Are the live versions of IG & HiH really great?

If so i'll download them if not i won't worry about it.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22