Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
edited November 2007 in Other Music
Beautiful Album.

*Discuss
baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I agree. It is boring. I really like Either Way, and Impossible Germany. But nothing else really does anything for me. I will admit I.G. has some of the worst lyrics in a Wilco song, but I love the music of it.
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    i'm just listening to it now. i'm only on "sky blue sky." i loved the first 3 tracks, i really like the laid-back feel of this album. definitely need to hear the rest and let it digest before i form a good opinion on it though.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Incredible album! I'm only on my 3rd listen and it's already one of my favorite Wilco records ever. By far the best rock band in American right now (sorry Pearl Jam). They've kind of dipped back into their alt-country roots a little bit on this disc, and I'm really enjoying the laid-back vibe of the songs. In a way, it almost sounds like a long-lost cousin of "Being There".
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Incredible album! I'm only on my 3rd listen and it's already one of my favorite Wilco records ever. By far the best rock band in American right now (sorry Pearl Jam). They've kind of dipped back into their alt-country roots a little bit on this disc, and I'm really enjoying the laid-back vibe of the songs. In a way, it almost sounds like a long-lost cousin of "Being There".

Yes! I totally agree. I enjoy 'Walken' so much. I just can't stop dancing to it. And the title track is a gem for sure. I can't wait to see them in June!!! Twice!!!
    Cock Fight.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    It is the long awaited follow up album to Being There.

Many say it is boring but the songs are simple and straight forward... and most of all good.

My ipod tells me i've listened to most of the album about 20 times now and i really enjoy it.

I think the stand outs to me are You are my Face, Side with Seeds, What Light and Impossible Germany.

I love most of the album though. Hearing them do it on the DVD that came with the CD was great and listening ot Jeff talk about the album was fun too. Just watching Nels make music is a wonderful experience. I love his Jazz style.

On and On and On is probably my second favorite album closer they have.

Walken is just a really cool jam. Shake it Off and Hate it Here have been growing on me lately. I love the simplicity of Either way.

Be Patient with me and Leave me are okay but to me they are the weakest songs on the album.

I like the couple of B Sides i hard One True Vine is short but very sweet and Let's not get carried away kind of rocks. Probably more of what people were looking for on the album. It is a good song but i can see why they woudl leave it off. It would mess up the flow of the album.

All in all i'm very happy with this album. It is very straight forward and quite different from YHF and AGIB, but the base of all wilco albums has been simple songwriting and good lyrics and that is what this album is.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    Sawyer wrote:
    want to like it....wilco is just so damn boring

My sentiments as well.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• AvocadoLadyAvocadoLady Posts: 680
    direwolf74 wrote:
    This pretty much sums it up. I've been listening to the stream for the past month or so, and it's really grown on me. It's quiet, moody, and beautiful...Wilco has done it again.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • This pretty much sums it up. I've been listening to the stream for the past month or so, and it's really grown on me. It's quiet, moody, and beautiful...Wilco has done it again.

Can I ask where the stream is? Never really got into Wilco, but I'm intrigued by this album for some reason.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
    Can I ask where the stream is? Never really got into Wilco, but I'm intrigued by this album for some reason.

I think their website but i'm not sure.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i agree the album is lulling. but how can you not truly dig songs like shake it off, and the opener, on and on and on... ???????????????????????????
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
    http://wilcoworld.net/news/index.php

Shake It Off has a great kind of Pink Floyd feel in the middle. Good stuff.
    "What happens when so many people agree on something? Can we take this beyond the parking lot when we leave tonight?" -EV, Iconoclasts
  • I´m listening to "a Ghost is Born" and it´s really cool, some tracks are incredible like the number 3...anyway, as many of you have said, it seems a little boring sometimes.
    ...can´t wear my mask, your first my last...
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I like it more with every listen. I've progressed from bummed out and slightly bored to the point where I now want to listen over and over. Tonight I'll try out the vinyl LP for the first time . . . then I'll probably need to listen to the CD again.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I´m listening to "a Ghost is Born" and it´s really cool, some tracks are incredible like the number 3...anyway, as many of you have said, it seems a little boring sometimes.

Go see them live. Wilco are FAR from boring.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Go see them live. Wilco are FAR from boring.

big plus one there. their live shows are very good.

that said i still find sky blue sky kinda boring. its a lot like their early stuff that i have but never really got into except for a few songs. watching the dvd explained it a lot for me. tweedy basically says he just wants to sing people songs without any of the scary dangerous stuff, well thats the stuff i like best, so i hope they go back to it someday. i haven't given up on it though, so it may grow on me in time.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    http://wilcoworld.net/news/index.php

Shake It Off has a great kind of Pink Floyd feel in the middle. Good stuff.

animals sound right? I cant believe you said that
    I was telling a friend the same and he thought I was nuts

think 70s eagles that kind of vibe

totally changed things around on this all the wilco noise is gone, and no real rockers

went to the letterman taping tuesday night-they played what light
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter Posts: 2,832
    Just got the deluxe edition with the DVD that plays 8 songs from the Loft recordings. I def rec this version before you diss the album. Tweedy and the others explain the reasons behind the album and some of the songs.
    I def love Impossible Germany; agree that the lyrics kind of suck, but the solos at the end are sickkkk. You gotta see the DVD version...Tweedy and Pat go back and forth for about 5 minutes at the end...cool preview of the summer tour.
    I also liked Hate it Here, Sky Blue Sky, and Walken. They are a diff kind of music...fav song is still At Least That's What You Said but after a month of listening to this album come show day in June my mind may change.

ALERT:: Looking to sell a couple of floor tix that were delivered today for the Merriweather, MD show on June 21st. PM if interested, I can't go now ::ALERT
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
    or not
    or not

I'm not in the area and i already have my seats for the Atlanta show :)

you should check over on the Via Chicago message board they actually have a forum for fans to post who have extra tickets. Might get more luck over there.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    Listened to the album a bunch now. I really like it, although a lot of the song sound kinda similiar or have similiar formulas.. Nels is the man!
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
    Get_Right wrote:
    animals sound right? I cant believe you said that
    I was telling a friend the same and he thought I was nuts

think 70s eagles that kind of vibe

totally changed things around on this all the wilco noise is gone, and no real rockers

went to the letterman taping tuesday night-they played what light
    Whew! Good to know I'm not going nuts either...I totally hear Floyd in that song.

Yeah, not so much of the noise rock like the past few albums - which I liked - but I like this side of them too.

Cool that you got to go to the Letterman taping! I was hoping they'd play something else off the album - What Light's been out for a long time now.

Hope to see them sometime this summer...
    Whew! Good to know I'm not going nuts either...I totally hear Floyd in that song.

Yeah, not so much of the noise rock like the past few albums - which I liked - but I like this side of them too.

Cool that you got to go to the Letterman taping! I was hoping they'd play something else off the album - What Light's been out for a long time now.

Hope to see them sometime this summer...

Yeah they should have blasted walken, impossible germany, or side with seeds in my opinion.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:

you should check over on the Via Chicago message board they actually have a forum for fans to post who have extra tickets. Might get more luck over there.

whats the url?
  • how could anyone say this is boring. i can't stop listening to the album.

either way, you are my face, and hate it here are my favorites.
    i gather speed...from u fucking with me

"i am the first man to shit my pants ya whew!"

its no crime to escape..theres still time to escape...theres still time so escape...

"yellow ledbetter is like the smoke after a 3 hour fuckfest" - 62strat

st.louis 04, chicago 06, and counting...
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ManimalManimal Posts: 152
    Hey did anyone else get a pm from GS67, asking for you to rip the new Wilco cd and send him/her the mp3s??

What's the deal with that?
    DVD: http://db.etree.org/Manimal
    Posters: www.expressobeans.com/trader.php?id=Manimal&view=4
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    intodeep wrote:

Where are you sitting? I have tickets on Row 6 in the pit.

Any other PJ people going to Wilco in Atlanta?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Where are you sitting? I have tickets on Row 6 in the pit.

Any other PJ people going to Wilco in Atlanta?

Not far away at all. I'm in the pit row 4 i think seats 9 and 10. I know it is row 4 i just can't remember the actual seat numbers.

i will see you there :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    woot, d! shake it off!!!