Blood Mountain - Mastodon

2»

Comments

• Just had this confirmed in an e-mail this morning:

MASTODON TOOLED UP
    Mastodon have been confirmed to support Tool on their upcoming UK tour. The dates are Manchester MEN November 25, Glasgow SECC 25, London Wembley Arena 27, Cardiff International Arena 30, Nottingham Arena December 1. Get tickets via the ticket link at http://www.totalrock.com

...so, they may do all of Europe.
    7387 // "I'll ride the wave where it takes me..." // 28-02-92 / Astoria 06-92 Cancelled / 14-07-93 / 29-10-96 / 30-05-00 / 20-04-06 / 27-08-06 / 18-06-07 / 18-08-09 / 25-06-10
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    transplant wrote:
    Mastodon would blow them off the stage. People think that Tool have amazing musicians? Wait til they get a load of the opening act.

I somewhat agree. Danny Carey is a great drummer. I have recently been debating if i like him or Brann from mastodon better. I have not decided.

I'll say this blood mountain RIPS 10,000 to shreds without a shadow of a doubt it is a much better album.

either way it would be a great show to see. I'm seeing Mastodon on Oct 7 it would be cool if tool did some southern dates early next year and mastodon opened those as well :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    intodeep wrote:
    Danny Carey is a great drummer.
    no question. however after Mastodon plays Capillarian Crest, Tool better present their fans with one hell of a cool video presentation :)
    I just read a really cool interview with Brann their drummer that discusses some of the process of the album etc.

Being from atlanta i always wondered if they took blood mountain from the mountain in Geogia named blood mountain, but no one ever asked that question until now:
    KTVU.com: I was talking with someone from Atlanta about Mastodon recently who mentioned that there actually is a Blood Mountain, which I wasn't aware of…
    Brann Dailor: Yeah. In Georgia! I found out afterwards. We came up with the name Blood Mountain and I decided to go Google it to make sure it's not some ride at Six Flags or the name of some band's album or the name of another band. And then I found out it was a mountain in Georgia and was like "Wow, that's a coincidence."

Also he mentions how growing up as young as two years old he was listening to Bitches Brew (miles davis) and Supreme Love (john coltrane) you can so hear the jazz playing in his drums

It is a really cool read for fans
    http://www.ktvu.com/entertainment/9897715/detail.html
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I just picked up this album and it kicks some serious ass.

And Homme's letter at the end is awesome.

Keep it real.

Reeeaaaaaal.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    I just picked this up today, finally. Leviathan really opened my eyes, so I'm really excited to throw this on, knowing that most think it is a better album.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
    Anyone else see these guys on headbangers ball saturday? They seemed pretty wasted and it was rather comical.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    This album still kicks ass weeks later.

Can't wait to see them Saturday night :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • This album is fabulous, definitely in my top 5 for the year. Crystal Skull, The Wolf is Loose, Circle of Cysquatch are my favourites, but the whole thing is brilliant. Going to be seeing them open for Tool in November, what a night that'll be!

"Into the dark hoooole, searching for crystaaaaal!"
    Genius.
    the CD is basically flawless. this will be considered borderline metal masterpiece in 5 years.
    These guys will be on Conan November 1st.

Rumor has it Max Weinberg's son is a big fan and that is a big reason they got the invite on the show.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    transplant wrote:
    the CD is basically flawless. this will be considered borderline metal masterpiece in 5 years.

after endlesss listens to this I'd have to agree. I'm absoluelty blown away by this album. Circle of Cysquatch is brilliant. Sleeping Giant is a close second and of course, Pendulous Skin is amazing too.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
    I saw them at the Masquarade in Atlanta on Saturday night. Any fans of the band should really check them out live. This is my second time seeing them and they are awesome live. The crowd was good packed house everyone rocking out. Here is their setlist:

Iron Tusk
    March of the Fire Ants
    Circle Cysquatch
    Where Strides the Behemoth
    Mother Puncher
    Aqua Dementia
    Sleeping Giant
    Wolf is Loose
    Crystal Skull
    Blade Catcher
    Colony of Birchmen
    I am Ahab
    Capillarian Crest
    Megalodon
    Blood & Thunder

Break

Hearts Alive

The new songs sound incrediable live. Even better then they don on the CD. The killed Colony of Birchman and Wolf is loose both rocked really hard live. I was very surprised that they did Bladecatcher and Brent makes those funny noises with his mouth whistling and shit. It was cool. Also one of my least favorite parts of the album is the end of Sleeping Giant. It is a great song but i hate the spoken work part ... it was left out of the live show and they just jam hard at the end. The crowd was good for the entire show, but the place seemed to erupt for Blood & Thunder. Lots of folks left after that and it is too bad becasue they came out and did a stunning version of Hearts Alive. That song kicks so much ass. Brent was on fire all night killing it on guitar. I honestly don't understand how Brann beats the drums for an hour and a half like he does. Do yourself a favor if you are a fan of the band catch their live show!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeep wrote:
    the place seemed to erupt for Blood & Thunder.
    There's a damn good reason for that ;)
    intodeep wrote:
    Do yourself a favor if you are a fan of the band catch their live show!
    I'm glad I skipped the Denver show. Doesn't sound like I missed much.......
    transplant wrote:
    I'm glad I skipped the Denver show. Doesn't sound like I missed much.......
    sarcasim right?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    sarcasim right?
    oh yeah. I just started Tivo-ing Headbangers Ball. Wolf was played. they are so far above every band that I saw on that show. just amazing. thanks for the setlist.
  • mastodon kick muther fucking ass.
    getting alot of hype though. the metal press love them and even pitchfork love them. hopefully they aren't raised too high an a pedestal cos the fall can be painful (just ask ...and you will know us by the trail of dead).

going to see tool in dublin, ireland on 22nd november and mastodon are supporting them.

combine this with me seeing pearl jam twice in san fran in july and it seems i'll be seeing my three favourite bands this year! fuckin' A.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
    getting alot of hype though. the metal press love them and even pitchfork love them.
    the metal press and pitchfork have loved everything they have put out. I know what you mean though. I would be weary if this was their first disc, but they haven't put out anything that sucks. they deserve to be recognized.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Basically Mastodon are, along with Tool, the best band in metal today in my opinion. I generally don't like music that it is too heavy but Mastodon are just awesome. Some of the music is so technically complex it blows my mind. Capillarian crest is unreal.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Big Mastodon fan here. I've been into these guys since the Lifesblood release. They deserve their critical acclaim, and I am happy that a bigger audience is getting exposed to them.

Matt Bayles is the man, too.
  • metal is having a resurgance at the moment in my opinion.

mastodon have released three kick ass albums since 2002.
    slayer have rejoined with dave lombardo and released a kick ass album.

newer bands like isis and jesu are following in neurosis' footsteps showing there can be nuance and subtlety in metal.

only new heavily hyped metal band i don't get is trivium - they do nothing for me. well they're ok in my opinion but not a great band.
    metal is having a resurgance at the moment in my opinion.

newer bands like isis and jesu are following in neurosis' footsteps showing there can be nuance and subtlety in metal.

only new heavily hyped metal band i don't get is trivium - they do nothing for me. well they're ok in my opinion but not a great band.

Oh i agree i don't see much in trivium at all.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • metal is having a resurgance at the moment in my opinion.

Dude the new Slayer album is average at best.
  • Dude the new Slayer album is average at best.

i like it. not as much as reign in blood, south of heaven or seasons in the abyss but its better than divine intervention and diabolus in musica imo.

even an average slayer album is pretty kick ass.
  • I prefer Divine Intervention to it to be honest. That album is so underrated (despite its shitty production)
    The new one is still their second best post-Seasons album though I suppose.