Talented members of bands you don't like?

A Surprise LeftA Surprise Left Posts: 743
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Are there bands you don't particulary like but there is a member (or even two) that you think have some talent?

I don't like Blink but Travis Barker (or Baker) is a really good drummer
I don't mind Linkin Park (some of the stuff is good and they are a good live band, but most of their stuff is very similar) but I think Chester Benninton has a good set of lungs.
I'm not really a fan of The Mars Volta (just can't get into them) but I like Omar's guitar playing and style.
The wind is blowing cold
Have we lost our way tonight?
Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
Running further from what’s right
And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
Where did we go wrong?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Are there bands you don't particulary like but there is a member (or even two) that you think have some talent?

I don't mind Linkin Park (some of the stuff is good and they are a good live band, but most of their stuff is very similar) but I think Chester Benninton has a good set of lungs.
    I'm not really a fan of The Mars Volta (just can't get into them) but I like Omar's guitar playing and style.

3/3 ASL. though i have to say i am a fan of TMV.
    travis barker is the reason i ever even watched or listened to blink. and i always knew chester could sing. i just hate all that protools and dj shit LNKNPK did. though again i do like them. i just chose to look past the crap.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 3/3 ASL. though i have to say i am a fan of TMV.
    travis barker is the reason i ever even watched or listened to blink. and i always knew chester could sing. i just hate all that protools and dj shit LNKNPK did. though again i do like them. i just chose to look past the crap.

I liked Blink when I was in high school (what teenage boy didn't) but I think they are awful nowadays, but Barker is a very good drummer. Chester can really sing (and scream) and I do like some of Linkin Park's stuff although I don't like Mike the rapper much either. I love the song "Numb".....lol. Their cover of "Wish" was pretty good I thought, no rapping there.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    If it was'nt for Liam, I'd fookin love Oasis.
    Ocean Colour Scene, thought the music was great, but not a fan of the Weller wannabe singer.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Agree with everything in here so far.

When i read the topic i immediately thought Travis Barker before i read this. He's in such shitty bands but is one of the best drummers i have ever heard, definately in my top 5.

Not that i think they're a shit band, but i think Mike Einziger (most probably wrong spelling) of Incubus is a very under rated guitarist. Also the drummer, cant remember his name, Jose something.

Joe Perry, again... not that i dont like Aerosmith but alot of people do, he's a great guitarist.
  • I think John Frusciante is talented, but I don't like the Peppers.

Also, John Mayer can wail on the guitar. Too bad he writes shitty songs that don't really display his talent.
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Primus/ all other Claypool bands- Just don't get into his stuff but his mastery of his insturment is amazing

Cyrptopsy- I like some metal but not these guys, but Flo (their drummer) is as nasty as they come

phish- just not much of a jam band fan but trey anastacio is a good guitar player
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Flo - Cryptopsy
    Dave Grohl when he was wit nirvana
    The guitarists and drummer from avenged sevenfold..god they can be amazing sometimes
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Carlos Santana, not sure if he's in a band. He's a great guitarist but plays horrible music in my opinion.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • i like travis barker but my favorite blink cd was "cheshire cat"? whatever the name is, the first one and barker isnt even in the band yet. that cd rocked i thought. Carousel is their best song ever.

I dont like Audioslave but i love each individual musician.

I totally agree with the john mayer comment

(off subject) blind melon is the most underrated band ever

i dont like sleater-kinney all that much, except a few songs but i respect all of them. i think carrie rocks
  • I've found that there are plenty of talented musicians that make music I don't like.

For example, Dave Matthews Band: Every musician in the band is incredible, yet I absolutely cannot stand their music.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • stu gee wrote:
    Carlos Santana, not sure if he's in a band. He's a great guitarist but plays horrible music in my opinion.

Totally agree with this one :o
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    ya know, I went to see Blink 182 in May 2000 and I really was dissapointed in their show, I thought it was horrible. Seems like Mark and Tom care more about insulting each other and acting like 12 year olds. The guitar playing was pretty slop ass.
    Travis Barker however was amazing. I found it sad, that I came home from the show, and I still say this today "the best part of that band is the drummer"
    also I was pissed off cause I had a crowd surfer land on me and kick me in the head... I was pissed off about that so it just made the show suck even more.
    John Mayer- That guy gets alot of shit on here, but he is a great guitarist.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • The Santana thing is dead on.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • The Santana thing is dead on.

Seriously, I thought I was the only one. I repsect him as a guitarist, but I hate his music.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Santana plays horrible music fantastically well.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Neil Peart - I hate Rush but he is awesome.

Jeremy Taggart - OLP sucks... again good drummer.

I can't think of anymore right now but I am sure they will come to me in a bit.
    Cock Fight.
  • Totally agree with John Mayer, hes an awesome guitarist, but i can't stand his voice or his songs.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    snoogins wrote:
    i like travis barker but my favorite blink cd was "cheshire cat"? whatever the name is, the first one and barker isnt even in the band yet. that cd rocked i thought. Carousel is their best song ever.
    cheshire cat and dude ranch are my fav blink cd's when scott was the drummer.i hate the holy hell outta of new rchp, but john frusciante and flea are amazing
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477

that guitarist from the former band BUSH
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    intodeep wrote:
    Primus/ all other Claypool bands- Just don't get into his stuff but his mastery of his insturment is amazing

Yeah, i agree wit hthis wholeheartedly. And same goes for whoever mentioned DMB. Dave himself is an amazing guitarist, but their songs are hit & miss.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    stu gee wrote:
    Santana plays horrible music fantastically well.

Ditto
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Tek Money wrote:
    Neil Peart - I hate Rush but he is awesome.

Jeremy Taggart - OLP sucks... again good drummer.

I can't think of anymore right now but I am sure they will come to me in a bit.

Yeah, I don't know what to think of Rush. It's pretty clear that are three members are wonderfully talented, but I could never fully get into them. Too many songs about spaceships or something...
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    Mark Tremonti from Creed/Altar Bridge.. you gotta admit, hes a fantastic guitarist
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • I agree wholeheartedly about Mayer and Santana. Fantastic guitarists, but they make bland, shitty pop music. Speaking of bland, shitty pop, Bono has a great set of pipes but I find U2 pretty much unbearable.
  • I have always loved Built To Spill's music, but hated the vocalist. So I am going to say everyone in that band but the singer.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • What's the name of that long haired Hawaiian fella? He plays organ in some Seattle band... Now he's good, but dem other guys, I just dunno...

;):D
  • The two guitarists from the band Dragonforce.. fucking AMAZING sound they put out of those things
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    The two guitarists from the band Dragonforce.. fucking AMAZING sound they put out of those things
    Really. I'm not sure I have any interest in the band at all but the guitar playing is insane.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    What's the name of that long haired Hawaiian fella? He plays organ in some Seattle band... Now he's good, but dem other guys, I just dunno...

;):D

BOOM!! :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • stu gee wrote:

Have all you guys ragging on Santana listened to any of his classic stuff? I agree that all he's done in the last ten years is put great guitar solos on shitty pop songs, but his early stuff is phenomenal. Seriously, check out his first four albums, especially Abraxas and Caravanserai. Those albums rank right up there with the best rock of the late 60's/early 70's.

As far as the topic goes: I respect the musicianship of the guys in Dave Matthews Band and Phish, but, with a few exceptions, their music doesn't do anything for me.