New Alter Bridge

A Surprise LeftA Surprise Left Posts: 743
edited July 2007 in Other Music
http://media.putfile.com/Alter-Bridge---Rise-Today

I'm not really not sure what I think of it. Its as radio friendly as it gets which is good or bad depending on who you talk to. It does have a nice chorus and a cool solo but I figured they would go in a different direction. The remainder of the album almost certainly won't be like this but all reports. It has grown on me the more I've listened to it....its worth listening to for the vocals of Kennedy and the guitar work but it seems like I've heard similar songs songs from them before.
The wind is blowing cold
Have we lost our way tonight?
Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
Running further from what’s right
And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
Where did we go wrong?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sounds pretty average. Too bad, seeing they have an amazing singer, and good guitar player. The title track is supposed to pretty epic, but we'll have to wait and see.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    The name of the band just throws me off. I'm not sure wether or not they are trying to be cooler than Creed..

Forgive me. I'm an ass.

:p
  • Sounds pretty average. Too bad, seeing they have an amazing singer, and good guitar player. The title track is supposed to pretty epic, but we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah the title track "Blackbird" is meant to have two guitar solos and go for nearly 8 minutes. Kennedy is an amazing singer and Tremonti kicks all kinds of ass. I guess this is this album's version of "Open Your Eyes" or "Higher".
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ...its worth listening to for the vocals of Kennedy and the guitar work but it seems like I've heard similar songs songs from them before.

are you sure? no way. i find that very hard to believe. ;):p:D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Yeah I'm not overly bowled over by it, I was expecting something much heavier, since the rest of the album is supposed to be. They should have released the song Come To Life instead, you can check out a live recording of it on this page, from Pinkpop: http://www.marktremonti.net/liveabaudio.htm
  • JamnPearlJamnPearl Posts: 204
    My guess is that Rise Today will be the worst song on the album, much like Open Your Eyes was on the last one. Ties That Bind, Buried Alive and Come To Life are all very good tracks and are much better than Rise Today.
    JamnPearl wrote:
    My guess is that Rise Today will be the worst song on the album, much like Open Your Eyes was on the last one. Ties That Bind, Buried Alive and Come To Life are all very good tracks and are much better than Rise Today.

I agree, I'm sure the record label probably got to choose the first single anyway. They just announced a one off show in London in September, hopefully I'll manage to get a ticket, great live band.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    I thought people stopped listening to music like this in 1997.
    I thought people stopped listening to music like this in 1997.

Music with shit hot singers and guitarists? You thought wrong.....
    Music with shit hot singers and guitarists? You thought wrong.....

No, crappy post-nu-metal-rock. Shit hot singer? Aha. And the fact that people still give Mark Tremonti props is hilarious.
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    No, crappy post-nu-metal-rock. Shit hot singer? Aha. And the fact that people still give Mark Tremonti props is hilarious.
    tremonti is an amazing guitarist... he's got alot of talent..

creed minus scott were a great band..musically they were awesome..Altar Bridge is a decent band too...
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys

Ok, I'll forgive your ignorance because you probably haven't heard much by them.

Myles Kennedy is an incredible singer, here's a quick clip of him belting it out Jeff Buckley stylee: http://media.putfile.com/summergirl-clip

And here is Tremonti tearing it up like an absolute beast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b33PFO6YLA
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    oppie1 wrote:
    tremonti is an amazing guitarist... he's got alot of talent..
    tremonti is, as far as people who indulge in mindless shred wankery, moderately talented but he's wasting it with the kind of songs he plays on. Kennedy has a great voice but likewise, he needs to implement it in a band that don't sound like a mildly less annoying Creed.

just my opinion of course :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Ok, I'll forgive your ignorance because you probably haven't heard much by them.

And here is Tremonti tearing it up like an absolute beast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b33PFO6YLA

That was probably the LEAST impressive clip you could have shown me. I've seen a bunch of local bands whose guitarists could play that note for note if not something better. Like the guy above me said, Tremonti is nothing but shred wankery. It's lame and lacks feeling.
    That was probably the LEAST impressive clip you could have shown me. I've seen a bunch of local bands whose guitarists could play that note for note if not something better. Like the guy above me said, Tremonti is nothing but shred wankery. It's lame and lacks feeling.

Yeah ok not the best example, I couldn't be bothered to go through youtube for ages to find one of the better ones....

but anyway, the vocals......
    I wish that Tremonti did put his solos to better use other than wanking, but I still enjoy some of them.
    Ties That Bind and Rise Today are up on their myspace-

http://www.myspace.com/alterbridge
    Woaaah! Ties That Bind is wicked, and no crazy fucker on this planet could accuse it of sounding a single thing like Creed! Take that you cynical bastards!!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Great, thats all the music industry needs right now is another Creed clone
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Great, thats all the music industry needs right now is another Creed clone

Neither of those songs sound anything like Creed at all.
    Dude can you read?
    JamnPearl wrote:
    Neither of those songs sound anything like Creed at all.

Yes they do, sounds just like all the other corporate rock on the radio
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Rise Today might, but Ties That Bind is far heavier than the average alt rock shit you are lumping them in with.
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    i actually think both of the songs on their myspace are pretty decent. nothing groundbreaking, but fun enough to listen to. maybe i'll check them out, i had just kinda written them off before.
    They are a very talented band, if nothing else - and also very very good live, Kennedy is probably the best technical live vocalist I've ever heard, he can replicate the stuff on record and then some.
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    you love that word "corporate"it seems like every band that has a album out and it gets played on the radio is "corporate"
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
    oppie1 wrote:
    you love that word "corporate"it seems like every band that has a album out and it gets played on the radio is "corporate"

No, its just that these same bands keep being mentioned on here
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

No, its just that these same bands keep being mentioned on here

I'm sure Alter Bridge has a lot of threads here.
  • 1. Hey Oppie and pjoasis are you guys just going to get married already?
    2. Wow....I did feel a bit so-so about "Rise Today" but "Ties That Bind" kicks some serious ass. It rocks like a mule and I love Kennedy holding that note towards the end there. Guys like Cornell get some serious cred around here and this guy is at least as good. It just so happens he formed a band with the ex-members of Creed which isn't so popular around these parts. The version of "Rise Today" on the myspace is a much better quality but "Ties That Bind" is a much better song IMO.
    The wind is blowing cold

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
    Nice bunch of guys too, I've met them a couple of times after shows, and they took time to talk to everyone signed anything and took pictures with everyone. Considering 3 of them have been in a band that's sold over 30 million records, I thought that was pretty damn impressive, most bands wouldn't bother.

Anyway, apparently the rest of the album is way heavier than the first one, and according to Tremonti's brother there's a song called Burried Alive that 'absolutely crushes Ties That Bind'! Can't wait!