I don't like Phil Collins..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited December 2006 in Other Music
but Land of Confusion by Genesis has to be my favorite 80s song ever..

random thought.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I HATE Phil Collins. I hate when "Coming in the air tonight" song comes on the radio. oh lord is right
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    I start to boogie down every time I hear Abacab on the radio.
  • One of my sins: I like collins and I love the early Genesis (with Gabriel and Collins as singer), they made real good stuff, lot of love for Foxtrot and selling England by the pound, later stuff which I like was Genesis(the album), the invisible touch (with land of confusion), We can't dance ( especially No son of mine and Jesus he knows me)
    Jesus he knows me, like the lyrics too much:
    You see the face on the tv screen
    Coming at you every sunday
    See that face on the billboard
    That man is me

On the cover of the magazine
    Theres no question why Im smiling
    You buy a piece of paradise
    You buy a piece of me

Ill get you everything you wanted
    Ill get you everything you need
    Dont need to believe in hereafter
    Just believe in me

Cos jesus he knows me
    And he knows Im right
    Ive been talking to jesus all my life
    Oh yes he knows me
    And he knows Im right
    And hes been telling me
    Everything is alright

I believe in the family
    With my ever loving wife beside me
    But she dont know about my girlfriend
    Or the man I met last night

Do you believe in god
    Cos thats what Im selling
    And if you wanna get to heaven
    Ill see you right

You wont even have to leave your house
    Or get outta your chair
    You dont even have to touch that dial
    Cos Im everywhere

And jesus he knows me
    And he knows Im right
    Oh yes he knows me
    And he knows Im right
    Well hes been telling me
    Everythings gonna be alright

Wont find me practising what Im preaching
    Wont find me making no sacrifice
    But I can get you a pocketful of miracles
    If you promise to be good, try to be nice
    God will take good care of you
    Just do as I say, dont do as I do

Im counting my blessings,
    Ive found true happiness
    Cos Im getting richer, day by day
    You can find me in the phone book,
    Just call my toll free number
    You can do it anyway you want
    Just do it right away

Therell be no doubt in your mind
    Youll believe everything Im saying
    If you wanna get closer to him
    Get on your knees and start paying

Cos jesus he knows me
    And he knows Im right
    Oh yes he knows me
    And he knows Im right
    Well hes been telling me
    Everythings gonna be alright, alright

Jesus he knows me
    Jesus he knows me, you know...
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • I HATE Phil Collins. I hate when "Coming in the air tonight" song comes on the radio. oh lord is right

HAHAHAH you made me laugh out loud or should i say LOL.

oh lord.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • I don't mind him until about 1984. That's the cutoff point. It's the same story with Sting and Billy Joel and a few others. All of those fuckers crossed the line at that point.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    JWBusher wrote:
    I don't mind him until about 1984. That's the cutoff point. It's the same story with Sting and Billy Joel and a few others. All of those fuckers crossed the line at that point.
    JWBusher, you read my mind.......I concur completely......the folks that you listed apparently sold their souls in and around 1984......nearly everything that they released from that point on was pure drivel.

Like Luxpjamer, I love the early Genesis albums....especially the albums with Gabriel at the mic. Abacab and Three Sides Live were probably the last really great albums with Phil on lead. Genesis, the album came close to that level. Invisible Touch lost me completely. I think that "Land of Confusion" was on "Genesis", not "Invisible Touch."
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    sponger wrote:
    oh yeah, me too. that whole Abacab is great, specifically Man on the Corner.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I place Phil Collins in the same bracket as 'Level 42', and 'Status Quo'. I.e, irritatingly bland and pointless.
    He should have stuck to drumming. At least it would have been easier to ignore him.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Phil Collins would be doing me a favour by just keeping quiet for the rest of his life.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I love him!

Yours Truly,

Sigh Sperling - ( Hair Club For Men )
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
    sponger wrote:
    Used to have "Abacab" as one of the ring tones on my cell phone......now I have "Breath"
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I hate the little balding fucker too.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I place Phil Collins in the same bracket as 'Level 42', and 'Status Quo'. I.e, irritatingly bland and pointless.
    He should have stuck to drumming. At least it would have been easier to ignore him.
    The funny thing is..............as a drummer he was easily one of the best in the mid 1970's through the early 1980's.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Phils first solo album (face value) is pretty good. I like The Roof is Leaking -> Droned. But really anything after that is when it started to go downhill, when Phil decided he should go motown.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    but Seriously.........he was the drummer on john cales Helen of Troy album
  • the r'n'b/hip hop community love Uncle Phil. Anytime I filp on MTV Base (which is fairly irregularly) theres a sample of Ol' Phil with some homeboys spitting grooves. I like the song that he done with Phil Bailey - Easy Lover just for comic value. Plus he is a right wing motherfucker, I want to punch his fat bald head!!!
    no additives, preservatives, or artificial colouring
  • I like Easy Lover, In The Air Tonight, Against All Odds, and Invisible Touch. Screw everything else he's done.
    Take a ride on the relationship:

http://www.myspace.com/unlockandunload
    reminded of easton Ellis´ American Psycho novel,, theres an anylytical rundown of old phil by bateman

didnt he leave his wife for some dark swiss bit o´crumpet?
  • Well, one good thing about Phil is, if it wasn't for his support and production of John Martyn, we wouldn't have beauties such as this song of John's, as played live in this Youtube clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCI1IW1aRP0

I enjoyed that, never heard of him
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I like another day in paradise
    I wish it would rain (down on me)
    Man on the corner
    I can't dance
    True colors
    driving the last spike . :)
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • elmer wrote:
    I enjoyed that, never heard of him

Enjoy, then!, and remember he invented these kinds of sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf5Eb0gNK6k

Everyone from The Edge, to everyone else, ripped off JM!
  • I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.
    are you still into Whitney Houston?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    elmer wrote:
    lame,who cares if he like genesis.to each is there own
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• elmer wrote:
    Of course!

Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply "Whitney Houston" had 4 #one singles on it?
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums.

Hey Paul!.......huh...aarghhhh
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• try getting a reservation at Dorsia now you @!#$#$@%#$%%$%
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    hahaha, enjoy that cigar.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli