U2 song break

justamjustam Posts: 21,408
edited January 2006 in Other Music
So, I have started to listen to U2 again because Ed seems to admire them so much.

This song is a good one. :)

Hawkmoon 269

Like a desert needs rain
Like a town needs a name
I need your love

Like a drifter needs a room
Hawkmoon
I need your love
I need your love

Like a rhythm unbroken
Like drums in the night
Like sweet soul music
Like sunlight
I need your love

Like coming home
And you don't know where you've been
Like black coffee
Like nicotine
I need your love (I need your love)

When the night has no end
And the day yet to begin
As the room spins around
I need your love
I need your love

Like a Phoenix rising needs a holy tree
Like the sweet revenge of a bitter enemy
I need your love

Like the hot needs the sun
Like honey on her tongue
Like the muzzle of a gun
Like oxygen

When the night has no end
And the day yet to begin
As the room spins around
I need your love

I need your love...
[Repeat 9 times]

Like thunder needs rain
Like a preacher needs pain
Like tongues of flame
Like a sheet stained
I need your love
I need your love

Like a needle in a vein
Like someone to blame
Like a thought unchained
Like a runaway train
I need your love

I need your love...
[Repeat 7 times]

Like faith needs a doubt
Like a freeway out
I need your love

Like powder needs a spark
Like lies need the dark
I need your love

In the heart of the heat of the love
In the heart of the heat of the love..
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PHATJPHATJ Posts: 348
    U2 is one of the greatest bands ever no matter what any pole smoking jack ass on this board my tell you.
    "I'll Ride the wave where it takes me. I'll Hold the pain. RELEASE ME!"

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I remember listening to Rattle and Hum in my friends car whenever we went on long trips. That was an excellent-freedom-do-what-you-want type of time. I loved that car, it took me so many places. Only good memories for this song and the others on the CD. We always turned up Heartland, and I would daydream . . .
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Yeh U2 are a fantastic band, i especially like "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    justam wrote:
    So, I have started to listen to U2 again because Ed seems to admire them so much.

No matter what you think of U2, I would hope your opinion is based on what you think of them, not Ed or any other members of PJ.
    Brian
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    NCBRI wrote:
    No matter what you think of U2, I would hope your opinion is based on what you think of them, not Ed or any other members of PJ.

I used to listen to them when I was younger. Which is why I have the older records and CDs. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • the unforgatable fire, the joshua tree, rattle and hum, actung baby, zooropa, all that you can't leave behind and how to dismantle an atomic bomb are my best u2 albums just a few songs to choose from there, i like inxs and pink floyd as well!
    www.myspace.com/rockmastergeneral

To break down borders and realise that we are one species and then the true patriotism comes from pride and love of the human race, not from the tribes of which we currently are divided, open your eyes your mind will see! - ME
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    In the recent Rolling Stone article, Bono mentions the "Pasengers" album. Does anyone know anything about this?
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rrivers wrote:
    In the recent Rolling Stone article, Bono mentions the "Pasengers" album. Does anyone know anything about this?
    its a brian eno/u2 collaberation have you heard mrs sarejevo by u2 and pavaroti it was a single in the uk taken from the passengers album

To break down borders and realise that we are one species and then the true patriotism comes from pride and love of the human race, not from the tribes of which we currently are divided, open your eyes your mind will see! - ME
  • U2 is a great band. If Eddie Vedder likes them, that's cool. I was just thinking of how Bono and Eddie Vedder are two lead singers I find hard to criticize, two highly intelligent, bold, passionate, creative people. But maybe my next post will be about a mistake I think Eddie Vedder made.
    If I was Eddie Vedder...
  • I'm not gonna lie to you guys....I'm not a big U2 fan. I do like a lot of their older stuff, but i'm just not really that into them.
    YOU CAN'T BE NEUTRAL ON A MOVING TRAIN.
    its a brian eno/u2 collaberation have you heard mrs sarejevo by u2 and pavaroti it was a single in the uk taken from the passengers album

I've heard Mrs. Sarejevo. So, Passengers was just a single? What else is on the album?
  • i have always really liked running to stand still. i have always felt that way.
    I am the end of all your dreams...
  • You know what is a great U2 song? Kite from the last album. It's good on the album, but better live. Check out the live from Boston dvd.
  • OMG Anne-Marie!! I had no idea you were U2 freak too!!

What a great song. Its a shame U2 never plays it live anymore.

Ed has impeccible taste. I know people dislike Bono, but go through the albums and read the lyrics...they are unbelieveable.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • I love the song ground beneth her feet on million dollar hotel sound track its great.
    Yellow Ledbetter is my least favorite song. Because as soon as you hear the first note you know it is time to say goodbye.
    OMG Anne-Marie!! I had no idea you were U2 freak too!!

What a great song. Its a shame U2 never plays it live anymore.

Ed has impeccible taste. I know people dislike Bono, but go through the albums and read the lyrics...they are unbelieveable.

I think you're right. I didn't pay enough attention the first time around. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I love the song ground beneth her feet on million dollar hotel sound track its great.

OMG! I discovered that song earlier this year. What a gem it is. Very beautiful.
    Its also on the import version of All That You Can't Leave Behind, I think.
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Always digged and respected U2. In Toronto recently they played four consecutive sold out shows at the ACC. On the final night Eddie Vedder came out and sang Ol Man River with Bono. Bono returned the favor and made his present felt at Pearl Jam's concert on the following Tuesday where he sang Rockin in the Free World along side Eddie with Tambourine in hand.

Way cool
  • Sorry if this offends anybody...

U2 SUCKS!!!
  • Always digged and respected U2. In Toronto recently they played four consecutive sold out shows at the ACC. On the final night Eddie Vedder came out and sang Ol Man River with Bono. Bono returned the favor and made his present felt at Pearl Jam's concert on the following Tuesday where he sang Rockin in the Free World along side Eddie with Tambourine in hand.

Way cool

I was at BOTH of those shows...and both were incredible!!! Totally surreal to see my 2 fave frontment on the same stage like that. Gave me the warm fuzzies (after I stopped screaming that is LOL)
    I'm not sure I know what it means, but I like the way it sounds. :)

Running to Stand Still

And so she woke up
    Woke up from where she was
    Lying still
    Said I gotta do something
    About where we're going

Step on a steam train
    Step out of the driving rain, maybe
    Run from the darkness in the night
    Singing Ha, Ah La La La De Day
    Ah La La La De Day
    Ah La La De Day

Sweet the sin
    Bitter taste in my mouth
    I see seven towers
    But I only see one way out

You got to cry without weeping
    Talk without speaking
    Scream without raising your voice

You know I took the poison
    From the poison stream
    Then I floated out of here
    Singing...Ha La La La De Day
    Ha La La La De Day
    Ha La La De Day

She runs through the streets
    With her eyes painted red
    Under black belly of cloud in the rain
    In through a doorway she brings me
    White gold and pearls stolen from the sea
    She is raging
    She is raging
    And the storm blows up in her eyes
    She will...

Suffer the needle chill
    She is running to stand

Still.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I'm a huge U2 and PJ fan.

Running To Stand Still is a beautiful song.

It's about a friend of Bono in Dublin who was a drug addict I think - very poignant - so glad they brought back the original version of it for the latest tour.
    Is death, that silent, dreamless situation
    But a human form of hibernation?
  • i'm irish and i do not see what all the fuss is about U2, i think Bonno is the most self righteous git in the world, all this "niceness" and charity or politics work is just brilliant publicity and its obviously working, all u2 songs sound the same, the edge has only i effect that he uses on every song, bono has to kae his mind up weather he wants to be a politican or a musican. pearl jam are a million times a better band than U2
  • Respect your opinion mate - Bono does get up my nose sometimes but they have written lots of great songs.

As for all their songs sounding the same - listen to the Zooropa and Pop albums - totally unlike any of their others.

I totally understand WHY people hate U2 but I still have a soft spot for them as the band that got me thinking music could be serious and rock at the same time.
  • u2 made a massive impact in my life, for me they opened the door to proper guitar music and it lead to me appreciating a whole load of different genres including pj. you can say you don't like bono but to say all their stuff sounds the same is like saying all pj stuff sounds the same which is bullshit mr handman, if u wanna hear shit that sounds the same 50 cent and all the other creaters of audio turd are waiting for you.

• You're dead right there.

Every band that is distictive has their individual sound - PJ have theirs, for U2 Edge's delay guitar sound is unique - you know exactly who it is before you even hear Bono sing, same with Stone and Mike in PJ.
    Saw them a week ago today in Oakland and they were fantastic. Very cool positive vibe running through the whole night.
  • Madpoet wrote:
    Edge's delay guitar sound is unique.

* cough, check out a band called "the cult" and amoungst others a little ditty called "she sells sanctuary" now theres a band
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    @showtime: yeah the cult had some similar guitar sounds but Edge's style is still all his own

U2's amazing. I actually enjoy all eras of their music, but I think Joshua Tree-Achtung Baby was their peak. Bad and Running to Standstill are my current favorites. Bonos one of those guys, along with Vedder, I just think is awesome and I wish I could meet them. It really bugs me that he gets all sorts of criticism for trying to help people.

Anyone get the new Live from Chicago dvd? its great
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • i just have an incredible amount of respect for u2 for multiple reasons. one, they are a group of friends that started a band without really knowing how to play their instruments. that shows some great faith and dedication. and second, they use all that "star power" for greater causes...instead of 20 inch rims and some "ice."

speaking of irish bands...whatever happened to the cranberries?