Dave Grohl can't really sing, can he

casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
edited December 2006 in Other Music
I just heard him butcher Stairway To Heaven on the radio. Dear god, man, stick to just screaming.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you could say that about 80% of "rock" vocalists
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • I just heard him butcher Stairway To Heaven on the radio. Dear god, man, stick to just screaming.
    If that's what I think it is he was just fucking around with his drummer for fun on some talk show.

edit: Or maybe it's on the new live CD? :p

I actually LOVE his voice. It's breathy and floaty (no pun intended..) and also one of the better screamers around in popular rock music.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Listen to Skin and Bones (the album) - its beautiful!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    you should listen to the new Foo Fighters live cd that just came out...his voice is really amazing on it, I was really surprised how good he sounded!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    yield2me wrote:
    you should listen to the new Foo Fighters live cd that just came out...his voice is really amazing on it, I was really surprised how good he sounded!

haha- good timing :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • KirkwoodKirkwood Posts: 228
    I think he has a really beutiful voice, but his screaming is pretty bad. The first tour, he gave me the chills everytime he sang.
    But Foo fighters was only good on their first record, when grohl wrote it all.
    C.A.T.S was ok, but then a big no no
    2006 Paris, Prague
    2007 Munich, Katowice, Kopenhaven, Nijmegen
  • Never heard Marigold I assume...
  • swedeswede Posts: 558
    i dont like his voice at all
  • tnt358tnt358 Posts: 72
    yield2me wrote:

i feel the same way
  • i dont think he's terrible at singing...his lyrics recently are weak as all hell though.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    this is the first time i've ever heard anyone say anything negative about grohl.
    and knowing the man's love of zeppelin he was probably mucking around.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • He is good in spots, and he was great when he harmonized with Kurt.

My general opinion of Grohl is that he needs to stop being a front man. I loved the Foo Fighters at first for maybe the first record and part of the second, now he seems to have driven them straight to the middle of the road and parked them right in the middle of generic radio rock land. Grohl seems at his best when he is augmenting someone else, like when he plays with QOTSA.

But that is just me.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    does anyone have the boot from this year's Bridge benefit????? (posting a link would be nice) I'll tell ya....his voice sounded great that night.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    i used to be a big dave grohl hater as lead singer,loved him with nirvana.so i bought the ff live cd skin and was bones and blown away by his voice.dude can sing
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• i used to be a big dave grohl hater as lead singer,loved him with nirvana.so i bought the ff live cd skin and was bones and blown away by his voice.dude can sing

Skin and Bones was superb at Bridge. I'll have to go out get the live cd.
    "Underneath this smile lies everything - all my hopes, anger, pride and shame."
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    i dont think he's terrible at singing...his lyrics recently are weak as all hell though.

I GOT ANOTHER CONFESSION TO MAKE!!!!!!!!
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I don't know what to think about Dave Grohl and Foo fighters.
    Sometimes I like his vocie and sometimes it's very weak, as if he lost his voice.
    Foo Fighters have a few great tunes (mainly on the color and the shape) but each album isn't so good... at least that's my point of view.
    I haven't listenend to the live CD yet, but that's maybe a good compilation of their best tunes... I saww them once and I wans't so impressed (except for the bassist, who has a very coll way of playing the bass...)
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • i think that dave grohl, eddie vedder, jack white and beck are the most talented people in music today.
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • i think that dave grohl, eddie vedder, jack white and beck are the most talented people in music today.
    + Billy Corgan and Thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood and you may be right.

"Make our day"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Dave's voice is good enough for rock and roll.

Now, if we're talking about most complete musician, Dave is certainly that. The guy is easily one of the most talented rock musicians in the game today. He's one of the sickest drummers ever, a good singer, a servicable guitarist and bassist. He can and does do it all.

The first Foos album was all Dave, and he did that sort of thing for years before he had a record deal. There used to be tapes floating around in the Baltimore/Washington region of "Dave doing everything" songs. I think that's why his music is so good to be honest. He has a very sharp sense of how to put it all together.
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    I love him! I have all the cds, seen them live 3 times and really enjoy Skin and Bones live CD (which by the way is NOT a compilation of mostly old songs but many off their last cd, the double disc IN YOUR HONOR)..........he CAN sing and does quite well. I've heard enough awful singers on the radio that there's just no way I could agree that he can't sing........on top of that he's one funny motherfucker!!!!

:)
  • enharmonic wrote:
    Dave's voice is good enough for rock and roll.

Now, if we're talking about most complete musician, Dave is certainly that. The guy is easily one of the most talented rock musicians in the game today. He's one of the sickest drummers ever, a good singer, a servicable guitarist and bassist. He can and does do it all.

The first Foos album was all Dave, and he did that sort of thing for years before he had a record deal. There used to be tapes floating around in the Baltimore/Washington region of "Dave doing everything" songs. I think that's why his music is so good to be honest. He has a very sharp sense of how to put it all together.
    Yes, yes, yes.

"Make our day"

you're smoking Rolling Stone magazine.
  • swede wrote:
    i dont like his voice at all
    Yeah, I agree.
    Cincinnati. 6.24.06 Portland. 7.20.06 Gorge I. 7.22.06 London. 6.18.07
    Lollapalooza. 8.5.07 West Palm Beach. 6.11.08 Bonnaroo. 6.14.08
    Hartford. Mansfield.

www.myspace.com/lkatmeimsandrab
  • He is more of a screamer rather than a true singer but it works for most of the material that the Foos do. I think he's certainly a better drummer than he is a singer but he is quite a good songwriter. I reckon he is a vastly better voice than Cobain did.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?

My brother saw The White Stripes a couple of years ago headline the Big Day Out here in Oz and said that the White Stripes were purely noise pollution and people who were jumping the barriers were trying to jump back over the barriers in an effort to escape the "music". Jack is a good guitarist but like Corgan is quite an awful singer. There are more talented people than those that you listed.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    I've always thought the foo fighters were just a fun band to listen to. nothing too serious but still decent. Dave's voice isn't too shabby. The new live disc really displays his vocal talents. I definitely think he's better at the slow stuff than the more rockin tunes. Wouldn't mind if he permanently drummed for Queens of the Stone Age, he did some awesome work with them.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    My brother saw The White Stripes a couple of years ago headline the Big Day Out here in Oz and said that the White Stripes were purely noise pollution and people who were jumping the barriers were trying to jump back over the barriers in an effort to escape the "music". Jack is a good guitarist but like Corgan is quite an awful singer. There are more talented people than those that you listed.

yeah well i saw the white stripes this year and i wouldn't call them noise pollution. of course i am a big jack white fan anyway. so mine is hardly an unbiased opinion. but it's more about the guitar playing than the singing anyway.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Most of the Foos catalogue consists of albums with only two or three good songs.

He should just stick to drumming.

Go drum for QOTSA full-time would be my advice.
  • I think Dave has a great voice, one of the best rock/guitar vocalists IMO.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!