Options

Can someone tell me what is so great about Stadium Aracadium? (RHCP)

OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,222
edited May 2006 in Other Music
I listened to 3 tracks and got bored.

Not saying this is an accurate evaluation of the CD, but c'mon. Stadium Aracadium is getting massive amounts of hype.

Someone help me out here...
DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    It's like listening to a Chili Peppers radio station-
    Give it a couple of spins- let it get under your skin and in your head.

I've playing it on random right next the new PJ and they sound great together on my MP3 player.

Yeah and John Frusciante really smokes on this album, my favorite stuff he's ever done.
  • Options
    LabyrinthLabyrinth Posts: 25
    There's absolutely nothing that great about it. On a scale from 1-10 it's a 6 1/2...

It's the first RHCP album to ever be no.1 though... PJ's done it 3 times, so I say, let RHCP have their fun in the sun for now.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,323
    2 discs for the price of one. The first disc I like, a continuation of By the Way album and earlier funk tunes. The second disc is another story, a bit repetitious.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    silvermarksilvermark Posts: 5
    Like the new PJ, it needs a little time to grow on you. Rest assured, it's a fine release.

I don't think there's a strong and a weak disc... both have about an equal share of highlights.
  • Options
    Well one of the things about the album is that there is just so much for you to digest. At first I sat up in my room with my friend listening to both, one full time through, without any skipping or replaying, just listening to it for what it is. Got me feeling really good, don't know why but it felt that their style had been pooled together and you've gotten the spectrum of what they are.
    Not only that but I've been listening to it as background music while I work then really focusing in on it. The guitar playing is probably some of the best i've heard in the albums that I've listened to.

The more you listen here, the more you pick up on the small details that are really the highlights of the songs. I personally think that there are songs here that are gonna be personal favourites to many
  • Options
    This album is a complete re-hash of their last 2 or 3 albums. You can actually hear recycled melodies, lyrics, and even sections of songs themselves. The fact that they do this for 2 discs, by the end you are just wiped out. It is good for what it is in today's rock scene, but by no means is as great as everyone says.

NOW, before anyone jumps on me, as seems to happen on this board-
    1. I am in fact a RHCP fan, have been since Blood Sugar Sex Magik.
    2. I never post negative, bitchy comments on here, and if you read this carefully, you will see I am not complaining one bit, just expressing my views on the CDs. I am being completely honest about what the new album is.

Give it a few listens as everyone says, and you will hear waht I describe above.
  • Options
    LabyrinthLabyrinth Posts: 25
    This album is a complete re-hash of their last 2 or 3 albums. You can actually hear recycled melodies, lyrics, and even sections of songs themselves. The fact that they do this for 2 discs, by the end you are just wiped out. It is good for what it is in today's rock scene, but by no means is as great as everyone says.

NOW, before anyone jumps on me, as seems to happen on this board-
    1. I am in fact a RHCP fan, have been since Blood Sugar Sex Magik.
    2. I never post negative, bitchy comments on here, and if you read this carefully, you will see I am not complaining one bit, just expressing my views on the CDs. I am being completely honest about what the new album is.

Give it a few listens as everyone says, and you will hear waht I describe above.

I agree with you... RHCP has never come close to changing their style as much as Pj did 'Ten' to 'No Code'.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    At first i wasnt too impressed, because i really enjoyed the last two albums, but its starting to grow on me a bit.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    there's a new RHCP album?

"give it away, give it away, give it away now, give it away now"

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    gmcabralgmcabral Posts: 50
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I was really dissapointed with this release, no real stand outs on either of the discs and...my god 28 songs! by the end of the second disc i was exhausted...it has a very melancholy and the infinite sadness (smashing pumpkins double disc) to it which is not a good thing.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    Muzzle is an incredible piece of work and overlooked!
  • Options
    Labyrinth wrote:
    I agree with you... RHCP has never come close to changing their style as much as Pj did 'Ten' to 'No Code'.

Ur crazy!!!! Listen to some mid 80's era chili peppers and then listen to by the way and you will be singing a different tune. They have evolved as much if not more than pj
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    Like others said, on first listen its not thrilling. But after a couple listens, it gets better. I suspect this album will get better with age.
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    yield2me wrote:
    I was really dissapointed with this release, no real stand outs on either of the discs and...my god 28 songs! by the end of the second disc i was exhausted...it has a very melancholy and the infinite sadness (smashing pumpkins double disc) to it which is not a good thing.

Except more than half of Mellon Collie was a stand out song and very good. Lots of repeat value on both discs. What's wrong with that album?
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    the album is fucking awesome and i can say ive listened to it more times than pjs new one....only because im seeing pj live 5 times in 7 nights and dont want to play it out...

frusciante is my fav guitarist though and just got peppers tickets for vancouver.

great great album....love frucsiantes high voice.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Except more than half of Mellon Collie was a stand out song and very good. Lots of repeat value on both discs. What's wrong with that album?

I hear ya. Alot of old skoolers think Gish was the last good record but that is sooooo off base!

"I fear that I'm ordinary, just like everyone"
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    rssesq wrote:
    I hear ya. Alot of old skoolers think Gish was the last good record but that is sooooo off base!

Jesus did those people ever fucking hear Siamese Dream?! Gish is real good, but third best to SD and MC.
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 617
    yield2me wrote:

Try just focusing on one disc at a time. That's what I've been doing. Spend a week on Jupiter and then move on to Mars. With that said it's not that great. If had to grade it, I would say it's about a B-. They could have trimmed this into one disc very easily. There's at least 10, so called funk tracks that are just filler. They could have just released one disc of 10 good songs and 3 or 4 fillers. But instead we get 15 to 20 songs that will never be played live and are basically just filler. Rick Rubin should have put his foot down and made them scale it down to one disc.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    i think even scaled down to one disc it would still be a very weak record
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    pjfanmanpjfanman Posts: 84
    Brother-in-law came over on the weekend going on about it and I had to sit through all the songs. I asked him if he's heard of Mother's Milk and he said he didn't listen yet. Saying that, this cd is the most overrated piece of music I've ever heard. There is absolutely no depth to the cd at all.

This is coming from a former rhcp fan. After blood, sugar they just lost me and continue to do so to this day. Not saying its terrible, but its not even close to their best cd...not by a long shot. All the songs sound the same and if they don't sound the same musically, keidis sings them the same. I wasn't impressed at all.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    lastexit78 wrote:
    Try just focusing on one disc at a time. That's what I've been doing. Spend a week on Jupiter and then move on to Mars. With that said it's not that great. If had to grade it, I would say it's about a B-. They could have trimmed this into one disc very easily. There's at least 10, so called funk tracks that are just filler. They could have just released one disc of 10 good songs and 3 or 4 fillers. But instead we get 15 to 20 songs that will never be played live and are basically just filler. Rick Rubin should have put his foot down and made them scale it down to one disc.

They did scale it down, from 39 tracks, originaly they were going to release it in 3 parts over a couple of years, kinda similar to SOAD with Mezmerize and Hypnotize.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    lastexit78 wrote:

i like the oddball funk tracks though. it adds something different to the mix. what they should have done is cut down on some of the mediocre ballads/mid-tempo songs. there are just too many of them. cut down on some of those, leave most of the heavy tracks. one 18 track album. it would rank up there with their best work. as it is, it's just too long with too much filler
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 617
    The more I listen to this album the more I like it. Animal Bar is a great tune off Mars. Desecration Smile and Hard to Concentrate are also good. Does anybody else think that Mars is better than Jupiter? This album takes about 50 spins before the pieces start to fit. I don't think most people have the patience. I've been listening to Mars here at work for the last 2 days.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    if they made it a 15 song album, it would be a great album and easily in my top 20 favorite albums ever.

John Frusciante just flat out owns.
  • Options
    ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    I've been enjoying it......I like the funk.....yes, they coulda taken a few tracks off but I find this 'album' to be a grower........MUCH better than By the Way which was too poppy major chord UNfunk!!!!
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Can someone tell me what is so great about Stadium Aracadium? (RHCP)
    In a word: no. I can't figure out what the hype is all about myself. Just not that great IMO.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    XiangXiang Posts: 73
    There is one cd worth of good stuff on SA but not enough to fill 2. At least they cut it down from 3 disks. Yikes!
  • Options
    riantLoVEsuriantLoVEsu Posts: 74
    Well I love this band and anything they do so I am biased right there and I dont care. I just ordered it and have only heard bits and pieces of it off the internet so far. Oh and btw, for the person who wrote blah blah blah about pearl jam in comparison, according to Anthony kiedis' book, they were kind of tight friends at one time when RHCP heard one of Eddie's tapes and invited them to open for them on one of their tours. I dont know why you have to make a rivalary bit out of it; Pearl Jam is a great band in their own right. If I didnt think so I wouldnt visit this site, but you dont have to take something away from somebody else, to try to prove that you have some loyality or something. To me, that is just stupid, both bands are doing their own thing, and are extremely talented, imo. (They are not the only music I like either but they rank high on my personal favorite list...but does anybody give a sh*? They just want to sell their records and do their thing, so it seems to me....)
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I really like both disc. It does take a few listens though. But like someone said earlier John is awesome on this album, steals the show in my opinion.

Go Peppers though....solid album.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!