Biggest sellout in 'music' history?

brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
edited July 2008 in Other Music
as i have eXTRA on tv, i have to say that guy from the band Sugar Ray.

it doesn't matter how crappy the music was...this guy is co-hosting a gossip/entertainment show.

wow.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    well, while this may seem as a sell out move to some, I'd love to be in Mark Mc Graphs shoes co hosting a show or in the entertainment biz, since I got a degree in Radio, tv and film 2 years ago. I absolutely hate what I am doing, but got to pay bills. So, I have come to figure that my degree don't mean shit to the world, but it actually does to me. Where I work is an embarrassment to me cause I got have dropped out of high school and done what I am dong. Sorr, had a bad day, felt like a good threadto blow steam off on.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • nah it will always be Dave Navarro. what a tool.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    red mos wrote:
    well, while this may seem as a sell out move to some, I'd love to be in Mark Mc Graphs shoes co hosting a show or in the entertainment biz, since I got a degree in Radio, tv and film 2 years ago. I absolutely hate what I am doing, but got to pay bills. So, I have come to figure that my degree don't mean shit to the world, but it actually does to me. Where I work is an embarrassment to me cause I got have dropped out of high school and done what I am dong. Sorr, had a bad day, felt like a good threadto blow steam off on.

wow.

i know how you feel.

i'm (at the moment...and the past 8 years) stuck in a dead-end job with plenty of experience in other stuff.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    You're wrong, cuz Sugar Ray can't sellout shit!!!
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Phil Collins and Sting head this list.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • drlovemonkeydrlovemonkey Posts: 394
    Before I even read your post, my 1st thought was Mark McGrath. Sugar Ray started out sounding like a Rage/Bizkit rip-off (and how bad is it when you are a pale comparison to Limp Bizkit!) But when "Fly" hit it big, they totally abadoned their initial style to make pop-rock fluff. That to me is the definition of selling out - not being true to yourself because of fleeting success.
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Nickelback sold out the second they were handed a guitar.
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    I don't see how McGrath is a sellout. He and Sugar Ray never claimed to be the most important band in the world. They never held to the belief that they had to keep pure indie cred in order to be a good band. They were just a band that wanted to make music and entertain people. When your band quits selling a lot of records, you've gotta go do something else to pay the bills.

And I am no Sugar Ray fan. I really couldn't stand a lot of their music. I just feel that the term 'sellout' is over used and abused.
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I don't see how McGrath is a sellout. He and Sugar Ray never claimed to be the most important band in the world. They never held to the belief that they had to keep pure indie cred in order to be a good band. They were just a band that wanted to make music and entertain people. When your band quits selling a lot of records, you've gotta go do something else to pay the bills.

And I am no Sugar Ray fan. I really couldn't stand a lot of their music. I just feel that the term 'sellout' is over used and abused.

While the term may be overused and abused, it's what the thread is about. The guys in Sugar Ray completely changed the predominant style of music on their albums following the success of "Fly," which (from what I recall) was kind of a joke. They blatantly chased further success. They may not subscribe to the "indie" ideal of making music that is true to themselves, and they don't have to if they don't want to.

But they'd better not run into the guys from Fugazi in a dark alley.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
    DocChicago wrote:
    While the term may be overused and abused, it's what the thread is about. The guys in Sugar Ray completely changed the predominant style of music on their albums following the success of "Fly," which (from what I recall) was kind of a joke. They blatantly chased further success. They may not subscribe to the "indie" ideal of making music that is true to themselves, and they don't have to if they don't want to.

But they'd better not run into the guys from Fugazi in a dark alley.
    But they never had any reservations about what kind of music they made. They made the music they wanted and also wanted to be paid. When they have admitted as much, they didn't sellout because they had nothing to sellout.
  • they switched from one brand of poprock trash to another brand of poprock trash. I think to sellout you first have to have some integrity, i never thought Sugarray was trying to do anything but make some money.

This is in no way meant as a shot at you... but does anyone else find it humorous that the person defending Sugar Ray has a screen name of markymark? Just struck me as funny.

And I know you're not defending them. It's all in good fun. If someone offered me a ton of money to make cheesy pop songs, I'd probably jump at the opportunity to "sell out".
    This is in no way meant as a shot at you... but does anyone else find it humorous that the person defending Sugar Ray has a screen name of markymark? Just struck me as funny.
    This coming from a doctor that practices monkey love? ;):D

I get shit for that screen name all the time, but when your name is Mark, markymark is probably the most common nickname that you get...
    This coming from a doctor that practices monkey love? ;):D

Good point. I shouldn't be throwing stones from my glass house.
  • JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    No one's mentioned Chris Cornell? It's one of the biggest sell-outs I can think of in music at least. Suddenly going from an alternative rock background to getting the numero uno cash machine Timbaland to produce his new new pop / R&B album. I can't believe there is any musical motivation behind it, the move is all do to with fame and money. He's completely whored himself off.
  • ThecureThecure Posts: 814
    what abotu that singer from a band that sells their tickets for a solo show for more than then with their band. i forget his name.
    People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
    - Alice Roosevelt Longworth (1884-1980)
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Rob Thomas.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Like Sugar Ray had all this integrity to begin with?? He's probably a better TV host than a musician anyway.
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    anyone remember that Robert Plant Cocacola commercial?
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Weezer
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • pink1969pink1969 Posts: 245
    Brain Of E wrote:
    anyone remember that Robert Plant Cocacola commercial?

I was just going to say that! I love Plant and Led Zep, but when that came out, I thought he was so lame for doing it. Definetley a big sell out!!
    Shine on all you crazy diamonds!!!!
    Angel

Are we getting something out of this......all encompassing trip?

Paramount, NYC '94; Randall's Island, NYC '96; Brendan Byrne, NJ '98;
    EV solo, NYC 1 '08; EV solo, NJPAC '08; Philadelphia, PA 10/30/2009;
    Hartford, CT '10; Newark, NJ '10
  • pink1969 wrote:
    I was just going to say that! I love Plant and Led Zep, but when that came out, I thought he was so lame for doing it. Definetley a big sell out!!

Nope.
    Selling a song you wrote in an attempt to write a good song (failed or not) that caught the ear of someone in marketing to fit a product does not make you a sell out. You have not changed the art you are making to make more money. You are just profiting from a song you've written. Especially if you support the product on some level personally.

Also, some bands, like Nickelback and Matchbox 20 have not attempted to be anything more than they are- bands that can write the occasional catchy song for the masses. How are they selling out? Perhaps you can say they wernt artists in the first place, but ultimately they are still staying true to what they set out to perform initially.

Sugar Ray? Any band that admits they sold out is fine by me. They made an honest choice- and dont hide behind anything about it.

To me? The biggest sellouts are the people that are well respected for their music, and try to move and evolve into new things.... only when their fans dont react as well as anticipated, they return back to their tried and true formula- even if it is in stark contrast to where they want to progress to as artist. Im thinking of U2 and DMB.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Anyone that plays the Superbowl

Aerosmith
    U2
    Prince
    Tom Petty
    Rolling Stones
    the Minions
  • mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    Before I even read your post, my 1st thought was Mark McGrath. Sugar Ray started out sounding like a Rage/Bizkit rip-off (and how bad is it when you are a pale comparison to Limp Bizkit!) But when "Fly" hit it big, they totally abadoned their initial style to make pop-rock fluff. That to me is the definition of selling out - not being true to yourself because of fleeting success.
    Exactly, he was a major sellout long before Extra.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • The most blatant...Aerosmith signing a gagillion dollar contract and teaming up with "professional" songwriters, circa 1987. They proceeded to embarrass themselves for two decades.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    JWBusher wrote:
    The most blatant...Aerosmith signing a gagillion dollar contract and teaming up with "professional" songwriters

See Pearl Jam would never sell out like that. and to prove it, Eddie co-wrote a song with a rapist/murderer. nothing "mainstream" about that.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • See Pearl Jam would never sell out like that. and to prove it, Eddie co-wrote a song with a rapist/murderer. nothing "mainstream" about that.

The Beach Boys recorded a Charles Manson song, so I suppose anything is possible. ;)
    JWBusher wrote:
    The most blatant...Aerosmith signing a gagillion dollar contract and teaming up with "professional" songwriters, circa 1987. They proceeded to embarrass themselves for two decades.

I totally agree.
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    JWBusher wrote:
    The most blatant...Aerosmith signing a gagillion dollar contract and teaming up with "professional" songwriters, circa 1987. They proceeded to embarrass themselves for two decades.

i was gonna post this yesterday, but thought I was one of the few who think they are the biggest sellout in music history
  • Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    Gene Simmons & KISS
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied