Options

my latest Nirvana rant.....just venting....

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'll get shit on for this, but I think that Nickelback is more talented than Nirvana.

Side Note:

Dave Grohl was the most talented in that band and IMO is one of the most talented men in music today.

He can sing like a champ, he's unreal on the drums, and he rocks on the guitar, and lyrically, The Foos blow Nirvana away.

HA HA, you're crazy!!!!!!

Dave is a great musician, and very talented but comparing Nirvana and Foos isn't really fair cause Kurt's songwriting was lyrically far darker than anything Dave has written, so it's entirely down to personal preference. It's like comparing Hendrix and Clapton and saying one is better than the other - each has/had their own individual style and it's down to the listener to decide what they prefer.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Binaural wrote:
    One) I never at any point, made a comment on my musical ability or wether or not I am more talented or have the potential of influencing more people than Nirvana. Your point was nothing more than childish name calling, completely unnessacery.

One) I never at any point said your insinuations were based on your musical ability, i also never called you a name at any point, my post was completley necassery what i replied to was:
    Binaural wrote:
    they didn't give the music world anything

by saying this you made possibly one of the most retarded comments i have witnessed, the band finished with the death of their singer in 1994, yet almost twelve years later your arguing that they didn't give the music world anything, if that was the case you wouldn't be disscusing them on a message board.

Binaural wrote:
    Two) Lyricaly, there was no fluency in the Cobains writings and he failed to accurately express himself.

Two) there was only one Cobain, and if your talking about some other Cobains i haven't heard of then fair enough, but Kurt Cobain expressed himself well enough for millions of people to understand him, he expressed himself quite clearly.
    Binaural wrote:
    Three) As for the music, I concede that my comments were biased and opinionated.

yes they were, your original post was a statement as if based on fact when it was entirely your own opinion, which was why i replied as i did.

PEACE
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    I'll get shit on for this, but I think that Nickelback is more talented than Nirvana.

Side Note:

Dave Grohl was the most talented in that band and IMO is one of the most talented men in music today.

He can sing like a champ, he's unreal on the drums, and he rocks on the guitar, and lyrically, The Foos blow Nirvana away.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Nice post.
  • Options
    Now it's time for the post of all posts....

For all those who praise Nirvana like they're gods of some sorts, do yourself a favor...

Go buy some Alice in Chains records and listen to Layne Staley blow Kurt Cobain out of the fucking water!!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options

Side Note:

what is wrong with the world today?

http://www.youtube.com/?v=5brY-ivFRBw

kurt says here that he thought the nirvana backlash had already happened ... and that was in '93 ... poor man wouldn't realize that an entire generation would denounce his worth and latch on to shit bands like nickleback and emo instead.

unfuckingbelievable.

For all those who praise Nirvana like they're gods of some sorts, do yourself a favor...

Go buy some Alice in Chains records and listen to Layne Staley blow Kurt Cobain out of the fucking water!!!!

and to this i can only ask why one can't **love** both artists ... AIC and Nirvana were both a-fuckin-mazing ... to shit on one in favor of the other is just savage cannablism, imho. and it isn't like their singers' ultimate ends were radicaly different. both were troubled, not everyone is perfect. sure it was "selfish" of them ... how altruistic are most of us?

it makes me sad that kurt takes so much shit. he made beautiful music, and to criticise his lyrics is to miss the point.

kurt wrote lyrics, often times, based on the sounds and connotations associated with the word pairings ...

you should check out the "classic albums series" "making of nevermind" ... it's great ... like it or not, kurt was a genius. self defeating, and confused? of course.
    but that's what people related to ... maybe if your mom is a real estate agent who drives a land cruiser, and your dad is a successful trial lawyer and you have 3 5th gen ipods and a gianormous flatscreen tv ... maybe it doens't register ...

grr.
    sorry ... i always favored PJ to Nirvana by a far margin ... but looking back i get really sentimental ...

and just to bring back the mood.
    some funny shit that makes me smile.
    ahh, the way we were. :D

instant quotables "Pedal the ass that god gave you. Buy nitrous!"
    http://www.youtube.com/?v=TkIq-tBV22U
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829

If you are talking about lyrics, get a clue, Jerry Cantrell wrote 90% of the songs in that band. If you are talking about voice I'll agree Layne's is better. And no one ever said anything about Kurts voice being great...As far as the two bands go I love Dirt but Facelift and the self titled don't do all that much for me... As far as Nirvana goes I enjoy all of their releases, Bleach through In Utero.

Binaural, how can say Kurt Cobain did not express himself lyrically?? Listen to Come As You Are, Something in the Way, Heart Shaped Box, listen to Pennyroyal Tea, listen to all of fucking In Utero. How do his lyrics not flow? And who died and made you the lyrical Nazi of the music world?
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    All this Nirvana backlash just cracks me up. If you don't like them fine, but you can't deny their influence and impact on music. Kurt Cobain had the "it" factor which made him one of the most compelling artists of our time. And I'm not talking about being a celebrity, i'm talking about people realizing that this was a special artist, like the Lennon's, Dylan's, Marley's of the world. His music connected with a lot of people. The world is still waiting for the next Nirvana. If you want to rip Kurt Cobain for being a drug addict and committing suicide, you should rip every other important artisit in history, most of whom wrestled with some demons. No one ever comes here ripping Jimi Hendrix for choking on his own vomit...or Jim Morrisson for becoming an overinflated drunken idiot. Nirvana's music was original, Nirvana clones cannot come close to the fury or passion that was expressed in Nirvana's music. There is still no one who sounds like them, even though their music is so simple and shitty, according to some. Kurt Cobain was a truly one of a kind individual. No one says you have to like Nirvana, but they certainly are deserving of their place in rock history.
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Igottago wrote:
    All this Nirvana backlash just cracks me up. If you don't like them fine, but you can't deny their influence and impact on music. Kurt Cobain had the "it" factor which made him one of the most compelling artists of our time. And I'm not talking about being a celebrity, i'm talking about people realizing that this was a special artist, like the Lennon's, Dylan's, Marley's of the world. His music connected with a lot of people. The world is still waiting for the next Nirvana. If you want to rip Kurt Cobain for being a drug addict and committing suicide, you should rip every other important artisit in history, most of whom wrestled with some demons. No one ever comes here ripping Jimi Hendrix for choking on his own vomit...or Jim Morrisson for becoming an overinflated drunken idiot. Nirvana's music was original, Nirvana clones cannot come close to the fury or passion that was expressed in Nirvana's music. There is still no one who sounds like them, even though their music is so simple and shitty, according to some. Kurt Cobain was a truly one of a kind individual. No one says you have to like Nirvana, but they certainly are deserving of their place in rock history.

Exactly...Perfectly stated, thank you
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Igottago wrote:
    I third it! They were such a breath of fresh air. I am eagerly awaiting the next! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    Why is it always a contest of who is "better" than who? Different bands usually have different things going for them.

I tend to latch on to music that I feel conveys an emotion in the rawest possible sense. Nirvana does this. Not by blistering guitar solos, or Shakespeare-rivalling witty lyrics, but through the feel of authenticity and sincerity, not to mention the raw, emotional voice of Kurt. (especially on more acoustic numbers)

Nirvana also turned into a huge hype-machine, so of course to many, it may seem a whole lot of hubbubb about nothing. But that is not the important part, although it is also a factor.

The thing is not that Nirvana necessarily invented gun powder with their music, but they represented a movement in rock music back towards simplicity and the basics. A song could be good even without a 2 minute twin guitar solo. (although that can be enjoyable in itself)

Was Nirvana a good band? It depends on your taste and preferences, but I will say they definitely was. Nothing spectacular in pure craftsmanship, but showing how good it can be using simple ingredients. And of course, the raw emotion underlying the songs, and the ability to make good hooks and riffs.

Was Nirvana an influential band? Noone can doubt that. Nirvana came to spearhead the "back to basics" movement, and the sense that anyone can pick up a guitar and make something good out of it. Nirvana has spawned a lot of similar bands, and their influence was significant. they were not alone in this movement, but they became the spearhead for it.

And finally, noone can dis all apologies. Sorry. Maybe the lyrics arent that good, maybe the music is simple, but for god's sakes, listen with your heart. That song has more emotion in it than other bands are capable of putting into an entire career. And that is what music is all about to me. Emotion. I'd rather have 3 chords in succession with heart, than blistering guitar playing that's not really going anywhere.

But, to each their own, I guess.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    what is wrong with the world today?

http://www.youtube.com/?v=5brY-ivFRBw

kurt says here that he thought the nirvana backlash had already happened ... and that was in '93 ... poor man wouldn't realize that an entire generation would denounce his worth and latch on to shit bands like nickleback and emo instead.

unfuckingbelievable.

and to this i can only ask why one can't **love** both artists ... AIC and Nirvana were both a-fuckin-mazing ... to shit on one in favor of the other is just savage cannablism, imho. and it isn't like their singers' ultimate ends were radicaly different. both were troubled, not everyone is perfect. sure it was "selfish" of them ... how altruistic are most of us?

it makes me sad that kurt takes so much shit. he made beautiful music, and to criticise his lyrics is to miss the point.

kurt wrote lyrics, often times, based on the sounds and connotations associated with the word pairings ...

you should check out the "classic albums series" "making of nevermind" ... it's great ... like it or not, kurt was a genius. self defeating, and confused? of course.
    but that's what people related to ... maybe if your mom is a real estate agent who drives a land cruiser, and your dad is a successful trial lawyer and you have 3 5th gen ipods and a gianormous flatscreen tv ... maybe it doens't register ...

grr.
    sorry ... i always favored PJ to Nirvana by a far margin ... but looking back i get really sentimental ...

and just to bring back the mood.
    some funny shit that makes me smile.
    ahh, the way we were. :D

instant quotables "Pedal the ass that god gave you. Buy nitrous!"
    http://www.youtube.com/?v=TkIq-tBV22U

I totally agree with you. That post about 'go get some AIC records'....well since I've been listening to them for over 12 years, I'm more than familiar with their music, and I hold them in the same high regard as Nirvana.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Personally I think, All Apologies with Nirvana is a fine track... but with Sinead O'Connor is nothing short than sublime.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    barcoach wrote:
    Personally I think, All Apologies with Nirvana is a fine track... but with Sinead O'Connor is nothing short than sublime.

i like the Sinead version as well, also Cibo Matto's rendition of About A Girl is a really good cover.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.