what's the scoop on this Amy Winehouse?

Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
edited July 2007 in Other Music
saw her video this morning, and was kinda digging the song. What's her story, I haven't heard much about her. Album any good?
"It's all happening"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    ~~~
  • I haven't bought the album either. I've only heard three songs but I really love them all! She has a cool voice and is completely different from all the other modern female singers, in personality, style and music.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    She's a drunken mess, but her recent album is very good. I've had it in my daily rotation for a couple of weeks now.

She has a great old-school jazzy voice... a little etta james to it or something...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • One of the best new singers to come around in awhile even though this is her second record. the first is only available in the UK.
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    She's uglier than Courtney Love and her voice sounds like Lauryn Hill.
  • Ghostface Killah from Wu-Tang caught wind of her, did a remix of "You Know I'm No Good," brought attention to her stateside (she already had a previous album a couple of years ago in the UK) and she's since become an international star.

My wife was loving Rehab and I enjoyed You Know I'm No Good, so we picked up the album...both disappointed in it overall. The "throwback" sound comes off as a novelty after awhile because there's nothing NEW to it.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    basically, dirty crack-whore with a great bluesy/jazzy voice :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    awful, just awful
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    awful, just awful

LOL

I agree.
    Cock Fight.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    She's uglier than Courtney Love and her voice sounds like Lauryn Hill.

I know i must be nuts but i think she's hot in a dirty kinda way.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Courtney Love or Wino?
    Cock Fight.
  • thesheffthesheff Posts: 59
    can't stand her. the songs were ok at first, but get worse with each listen
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I've had to endure her skanky mug on the cover of both Rolling Stone and Spin over the past 2 months. She's enjoying her 15 minutes. It's a cute act but it will be over soon.

The first one of you punks to steer the thread towards why I get RS or Spin gets an internet wedgie.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Tek Money wrote:
    Courtney Love or Wino?

wino
  • kinetickinetic Posts: 148
    Total crack whore drunken train wreck waiting to happen. I'll follow her career and stints in rehab with great interest.
    When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    She's dirty and likes to beat the crap out of her husband when in a drunken rage. He's no prize either, however. There's a lovely shot of him in RS blowing snot out of his nose in public. Such a classy pair. She has a pretty unique voice and a vintage sound to her music that's somewhat cool though.
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Her album is very good and well worth getting. ITs a pity about her tattoos she would be much nicer without them
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    DocChicago wrote:
    I've had to endure her skanky mug on the cover of both Rolling Stone and Spin over the past 2 months. She's enjoying her 15 minutes. It's a cute act but it will be over soon.

The first one of you punks to steer the thread towards why I get RS or Spin gets an internet wedgie.

Now that is way too funny!
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    She's gonna be at lollapalooza on that Sunday that Pearl Jam plays... however, she's on the same time as Perry Ferell so I'll miss it. Just thought it might be useful info for anyone going.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    vmfury wrote:
    She's dirty and likes to beat the crap out of her husband when in a drunken rage. He's no prize either, however. There's a lovely shot of him in RS blowing snot out of his nose in public. Such a classy pair. She has a pretty unique voice and a vintage sound to her music that's somewhat cool though.

she's making a habit of getting so wasted that she can't be bothered to turn up to her own gigs. and when she does she seems to enjoy spitting at the audience. nice voice though.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    Great voice, thought she was awesome live when I caught her set at Coachella.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• don't be fooled by the haters. you'd have to go back to the 1960's to find something quite like her. a throwback with a hell of a fucking voice.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • pjny wrote:
    Ghostface Killah from Wu-Tang caught wind of her, did a remix of "You Know I'm No Good," brought attention to her stateside (she already had a previous album a couple of years ago in the UK) and she's since become an international star.

My wife was loving Rehab and I enjoyed You Know I'm No Good, so we picked up the album...both disappointed in it overall. The "throwback" sound comes off as a novelty after awhile because there's nothing NEW to it.

Amy Winehouse and Wu-Tang will both be at Virgin Festival
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Makes me wonder if there will be an old school jazz revival like the swing revival in the late 90's. I actually liked the swing revival. I could still pop on my Squirrel Nut Zippers album and enjoy it.
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i love her voice and love her new album.
  • I own "Frank" and "Back to Black". Both are just fantastic. She has an amazing voice, and I love the total 50's feel.

Sure it's pop, but it has more soul then any pop artist out these days.

Cool stuff.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • She's more talented than her recorded output will ever suggest. I've heard her sing in a couple of places, impromptu, over the past couple of years, and she was fucking astonishing.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Its not my style of music but she isn't bad. I heard at some music award show Bono was giving an acceptance speech and she yelled " Shut up! I don't give a fuck" She is also hot in a dirty girl kind of way.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • as my old man would say:

"she looks like the sort of bird who always has dirty knickers on"

i bought frank when it first came out. she was always a train wreck, its just that now there are cameras following her around all the time. typical north london girl..meant in an affectionate way of course.

very very talented lady, back to black is sublime, yes its pop but its good pop.

i think she should support the spice girls on the reunion tour, show all the wannabes how to do it properly.
  • as my old man would say:

"she looks like the sort of bird who always has dirty knickers on"

i bought frank when it first came out. she was always a train wreck, its just that now there are cameras following her around all the time. typical north london girl..meant in an affectionate way of course.

very very talented lady, back to black is sublime, yes its pop but its good pop.

i think she should support the spice girls on the reunion tour, show all the wannabes how to do it properly.

That's a media "scoop" view, but what do you think of the music?