Options

The best band in the last 15 years is.....

13»

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    wilco.

i think yankee hotel foxtrot is the best album to come out this decade

I agree.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    ...and Amy Winehouse, of course.

OVER-RATED...
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    SPARTA.

I thought there'd never be another Blind Melon or Pearl Jam for me...until they came along & totally renewed my faith in the possibility of "new" music being able to have that sort of depth. Easily the best thing since the 90's. :)
    :O

I don't understand why people like sparta. It is SO clear who the talented people in ATD-I were. can't even believe one band could break off into bands as different as The Mars Volta and Sparta.

TMV = astonishing, even if not always entirely to my taste
    Sparta = third-rate post hardcore. I'd much rather listen to City of Caterpillar or pg.99 anyday.

of course, it's a matter of opinion :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    The Mars Volta is the best new band of the last 15 years for my money. They really push musical boundaries like few other rock bands. I read that Anthony Kiedis said watching them live felt like what it must have been like to see an early Hendrix performance, in that it was so far beyond what most bands at the time were doing.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    a very tough thread. i really have no idea.
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    robfest2 wrote:
    The Hold Steady

Hands down

Is this a comment on how bad new bands have been in the last 15 years? The Hold Steady is tolerable, but I haven't heard anything great by them yet.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    hendrix78 wrote:
    The Mars Volta is the best new band of the last 15 years for my money. They really push musical boundaries like few other rock bands. I read that Anthony Kiedis said watching them live felt like what it must have been like to see an early Hendrix performance, in that it was so far beyond what most bands at the time were doing.

They're my second choice.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    The White Stripes
    John Mayer
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    My favorite is The Strokes....because 'best' is far too of a broad term.
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    pjfan020 wrote:
    Queens of the Stone Age is the correct answer.

not a bad call
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    I nominate the following:

Wilco
    The Tragically Hip
    Rheostatics
    Pearl Jam
    Arcade Fire
    The Weakerthans
    Drive-By Truckers
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Wintersleep
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    :O

I don't understand why people like sparta. It is SO clear who the talented people in ATD-I were. can't even believe one band could break off into bands as different as The Mars Volta and Sparta.

TMV = astonishing, even if not always entirely to my taste
    Sparta = third-rate post hardcore. I'd much rather listen to City of Caterpillar or pg.99 anyday.

of course, it's a matter of opinion :)

A matter of opinion indeed...But I can't imagine anyone having that opinion after listening to the albums or especially seeing them live. Your loss though, they are beyond kick ass & I'm not easy to please musically.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Queens of the Stone Age
    System of a Down
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    robfest2 wrote:
    PJ is more that 15 years old.

so what? the question is "the best band in the last 15 years is"... and as Pj are still a band and still releasing material then they count...

like saying the best tennis player in the last 15 years is Roger Federer and then you saying "but he picked up a racket aged 5 so he doesnt count"

anyway, i'm picking White Stripes :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    obviously you've never read my posts ;) every tool song i've ever heard sounds exactly like every other tool song i've ever heard.

i hear ya conor. i'm always getting hooker with a penis and disgustipated mixed up. ;) :rolleyes: :D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i won't adhere to your strict time frame:

pearl jam are the best band of the past 15 years

it's not even a contest

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

like saying the best tennis player in the last 15 years is Roger Federer and then you saying "but he picked up a racket aged 5 so he doesnt count"

:D, Federer is never mind the best tennis player of all time, there is not a single professional athlete competing in any sport currently who can hold a candle to this artist. fuck tiger woods

• Options
    robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    Pearl Jam is the best band of ALL-TIME

But they came out more then 15 years ago is they do not count!

If I said the best band in the last 20 years or 100 years or 1000 is.....

it would be Pearl Jam, but I said 15 years so they do not count.
  • Options
    robfest2 wrote:
    Pearl Jam is the best band of ALL-TIME

But they came out more then 15 years ago is they do not count!

If I said the best band in the last 20 years or 100 years or 1000 is.....

it would be Pearl Jam, but I said 15 years so they do not count.

i'm just messing with you my brother :D, playing by your rules i'd have to say
    radiohead

• Options
    obviously you've never read my posts ;) every tool song i've ever heard sounds exactly like every other tool song i've ever heard.
    Of course I've read your posts...how the hell could I miss them?

*WINKZ!
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    For me, it's Wilco.

But their fifteen year window is closing soon ;)

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    robfest2 wrote:
    The Hold Steady

Hands down

sorry but I dont get what people like about them

that lead singer is like a retarded elvis costello
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    rhinomagic wrote:
    For me, it's Wilco.

But their fifteen year window is closing soon ;)

EXACTLY

Spoon and supergrass are also in the running
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    A matter of opinion indeed...But I can't imagine anyone having that opinion after listening to the albums or especially seeing them live. Your loss though, they are beyond kick ass & I'm not easy to please musically.
    I don't know... they just seem to lack the violence and spastic energy that a band needs to pull off the whole screamo thing.

Document #8 by pg. 99 is intense.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"