Options

Clapton Lashes Out @ U2, Coldplay

2»

Comments

• Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    transplant wrote:
    well I wish you would rant. what I have gathered so far is that over the past 30 years he has had an incredible Unplugged performance and Behind the Sun. I am not doubting either of those (because I have neither) nor have I doubted his guitar playing. I have that double live CD 24 Nights and his Robert Johnson cover disc. Though nice listens nothing there in my mind to write home about. His lick and solo on Forever Man are incredible.

What my simple question was, is that did he do anything groundbreaking over the past 30 years (not 35, not 40)? I may now check out all of Behind the Sun. I don't know a single Clapton freak so yeah, rant on.

Just to mention, I did not mean to come across as sarcastic incase that's how it sounded, I was being genuine. I believe Clapton has been incredibly groundbreaking. One of the things that stands out is his constant revitilisation of Blues and the wide variety of musical traditions he has been able to incorporate into his music, while still retaining an authentic blues sound and feeling. Also his ability to cover a range of genres is breathtaking. Although the point most noteworthy is what he does live, I saw him in concert a few years ago and he had put a huge range of musical instruments into his show, some songs were sounded new. I can understand a lot of people saying "Yeah he's good but he's not really done anything new", I didn't 'get it' for a while but ater listening to a few of his influences I began to see just how much he had done with their music and his own. If you like some of his stuff then I suggest you invest in a few records, many can be goten cheap now and they are well worth the buy.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    GalianaGaliana Posts: 554
    Poncier wrote:
    Haven't Clapton songs been used to sell beer?
    U2 has not let it songs be used to schill products (the ipod was a cross promotion, different animal).

I remember those beer commercials Clapton did back in the 80s. And then Neil Young did that video where he made fun of them. :)
    Don't threaten me with a good time.
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    U2 has not let it songs be used to schill products (the ipod was a cross promotion, different animal).

You can't get a little bit pregnant, Poncier.
  • Options
    Since the source of the quote is http://www.digitalspy.co.uk, I wouldn't be so quick to jump on Clapton one way or the other.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Binaural wrote:
    Just to mention, I did not mean to come across as sarcastic incase that's how it sounded, I was being genuine. I believe Clapton has been incredibly groundbreaking. One of the things that stands out is his constant revitilisation of Blues and the wide variety of musical traditions he has been able to incorporate into his music, while still retaining an authentic blues sound and feeling.
    I had no doubt you were being serious. I guess perhaps my issue with him is that it all boils down to one genre. blues. I think of other artist, Waits, Dylan, Costello, Young and I view those guys as ones who take a risk here and there. Tough to pigeonhole those guys. Sure they all boil down to blues based however Clapton never attempted an Arc type disc, nor has he attempted collaborations as obscure as what Costello has done. Dylan to this day puts out outstanding CD's with a few bad experiments along the way. Me and Mr. Johnson wasn't exactly a big direction change. Once again, if I'm wrong, point me to a CD.

As I said earlier, I don't know a Clapton freak, I don't know that I have ever seen any solo disc of his in anybody's top 20. I am not even sure many people could name a CD. Some people appear content with him sitting on his groundbreaking work during the 60's. Fine with me.

I am being picky as hell because he is a legend and I would like to hear him attempt something else. It doesn't sound like to me that he has pushed himself and perhaps he is content with doing what he has always done. Just my view on it. thanks for sharing yours.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    I had no doubt you were being serious. I guess perhaps my issue with him is that it all boils down to one genre. blues. I think of other artist, Waits, Dylan, Costello, Young and I view those guys as ones who take a risk here and there. Tough to pigeonhole those guys. Sure they all boil down to blues based however Clapton never attempted an Arc type disc, nor has he attempted collaborations as obscure as what Costello has done. Dylan to this day puts out outstanding CD's with a few bad experiments along the way. Me and Mr. Johnson wasn't exactly a big direction change. Once again, if I'm wrong, point me to a CD.

As I said earlier, I don't know a Clapton freak, I don't know that I have ever seen any solo disc of his in anybody's top 20. I am not even sure many people could name a CD. Some people appear content with him sitting on his groundbreaking work during the 60's. Fine with me.

I am being picky as hell because he is a legend and I would like to hear him attempt something else. It doesn't sound like to me that he has pushed himself and perhaps he is content with doing what he has always done. Just my view on it. thanks for sharing yours.

I own most of Clapton's solo stuff...except for the mid 80s and early 90s stuff....that period is utter shite.
  • Options
    I can't believe he's even comparing Coldplay and U2 really :eek:
    I mean come on! Coldplay, in my opinion, are boring and I don't like them. However U2 are still a decent rock band.

True, U2 has dropped off a bit, but they are rocknroll halloffamers, and have some great material. I somehow doubt Coldplay will make the hall, but then again, can you picture the hall of fame in 20 years with the quality of current bands? Perhaps Blink-182 will get in in 2020. At one time, as the saying went, "Clapton Is God", and he put his heart into the music. Outside of PJ and a few others, it's more about image appeal now more than ever. I loved MTV as a child, but now I say, "take back my fucking MTV".
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
  • Options
    I can't believe he's even comparing Coldplay and U2 really :eek:
    I mean come on! Coldplay, in my opinion, are boring and I don't like them. However U2 are still a decent rock band.

True, U2 has dropped off a bit, but they are rocknroll halloffamers, and have some great material. I somehow doubt Coldplay will make the hall, but then again, can you picture the hall of fame in 20 years with the quality of current bands? Perhaps Blink-182 will get in in 2020. At one time, as the saying went, "Clapton Is God", and he put his heart into the music. Outside of PJ and a few others, it's more about image appeal now more than ever. I loved MTV as a child, but now I say, "take back my fucking MTV".
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
  • Options
    transplant wrote:

Isn't asking for more from Eric Clapton like asking for more from say Michael Jordan in his realm? It's Eric fucking Clapton for god's sake.
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Eric Clapton hits out at Coldplay and U2
    Wednesday, May 17 2006, 14:48 BST - by Fiona Edwards

Eric Clapton disapproves of bands like U2 and Coldplay as they seem
    to put their fame before their music.

The 61-year-old guitar legend told The Times: "Right now, the power
    of music sits with Simon Cowell and Coldplay and U2, who are really
    people who just attend awards shows.

"From just listening I can't tell the difference between Coldplay and
    U2. The one in Coldplay even dances like Bono."

Clapton said that he's also worried that modern bands are forgetting
    where rock and roll has come from.

He said: "I think what it shows is how incredibly detached all the
    current stuff is from its roots. What worries me about what's going
    on now is that people don't know where it's all come from, and I
    don't suppose they're that interested."

has clapton ever wrote a good song? EVER? tears in heaven i guess. geez he's not exactly a song writing wiz, he should stick to his adult contemporary soft rock crap and not worry about what other bands do
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    has clapton ever wrote a good song? EVER? tears in heaven i guess. geez he's not exactly a song writing wiz, he should stick to his adult contemporary soft rock crap and not worry about what other bands do

he blows coldplay and U2 out of the water, in my books.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Echoes wrote:
    he blows coldplay and U2 out of the water, in my books.

I'll second that. and I'm not really that big of a fan.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    A) U2 kills anything Clapton has ever touched
    B)Yeah Coldplay's not that great
    C) They are in no way easy to mix up
    D) Fuck Clapton
    E) I actually do like CLapton
    F) But he does have a lot of stuff that sucks and he hasnt done much good in almost 30 years
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    I haven't heard anything decent out of U2 since that song they did for the batman soundtrack
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    I haven't heard anything decent out of U2 since that song they did for the batman soundtrack
    Then you aren't listening.... All You Can't Leave Behind was a great album... Atomic Bomb wasn't bad either, but I prefer AYCLB, it had a Joshua Tree feel to it..

Coldplay on the other hand is total shit and I've been saying it for years... they rode in on the coattails of Radiohead, popified it and are now U2-esque... Chris Martin has an ego like no man in his position should.... That song "Yellow" off the first album is a rip of Karma Police.. then they started ripping Kid A guitar riffs... now, as someone pointed out, it's like Travis and Bono are being forced to breed and Coldplay is their offspring.
  • Options
    Then you aren't listening.... All You Can't Leave Behind was a great album... Atomic Bomb wasn't bad either, but I prefer AYCLB, it had a Joshua Tree feel to it...

I dunno, I listened to all of Atomic Bomb, liked it at first but soured on it fast, and I pretty much hated ATYCLB. Just not my thing, sorry dude.
  • Options
    chrisopaloozachrisopalooza Posts: 347
    i don't really understand the diss to U2, but this was awesome. i love it when real musicians bash fake musicians. U2 is pretty solid, so i don't understand that, but dising coldplay is so necessisary right now. the fact that they play arenas and not high school assemblies is beyond me. fuck yeah clapton!!!
  • Options
    U2 is pretty solid
    They have to be to last and still be relevant after almost 30 years!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,381
    You can't get a little bit pregnant, Poncier.
    Not until they change the laws of human biology anyway. ;)

But the U2 ipod commercial was to promote U2's catalog becoming available on itunes, not drastically different than say, a televison commercial for the album "Pearl Jam" aired right after the band Pearl Jam played a song from said album "Severed Hand" on Saturday Night Live on April 15th.

Its well documented that U2 took no money for the ipod commercial.

However I think you'll find Slowhand took a rather sizeable payment from Anheuser Busch for the use of "After Midnight".
    This weekend we rock Portland