platessmall.jpg
ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
http://www.UNOS.org
Donate Organs and Save a Life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    has Clapton broken new ground in the past 30 years?
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    transplant wrote:

Has coldplay ever been anything then a second rate Travis with an Unforgettable Fire fixation?
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    Has coldplay ever been anything then a second rate Travis with an Unforgettable Fire fixation?

Couldn't have put it better myself! I remember back in 2000 reading the review of Parachutes, heralding it as "like Travis, but not as memorable" ...isn't hindsight such a wonderful thing?
  • Options
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    don't mistaken my post for one defending Coldplay.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    transplant wrote:

He's not claiming to. He is stating that rock and roll's roots came from the blues and should be about the music.....not all the glitz and glammer.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    Transplant- Are you really questioning Eric Clapton? Eric Clapton is rock and roll to the purist form. And he's broken enough ground in his life, god damn fools.
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    clapton is a legend.

english rock is fine...

as long as radiohead are around.. :D
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I can't believe he's even comparing Coldplay and U2 really :eek:
    I mean come on! Coldplay, in my opinion, are boring and I don't like them. However U2 are still a decent rock band.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Transplant- Are you really questioning Eric Clapton? Eric Clapton is rock and roll to the purist form. And he's broken enough ground in his life, god damn fools.
    I suppose I should have seen this one coming. I'll add Clapton to the list of artists not to question. Yeah, I am question Eric's reasoning comparing Bono to anybody related to American Idol you bet.

So are you willing to admit he hasn't broken new ground in the past 30 years? And yes, I think Clapton is rock and roll in the purest form.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    I find any criticism from the man who gave the world Behind The Sun hard to swallow.

If he doesn't think U2 has an idea of the roots of rock he should try listening to Joshua Tree or Rattle and Hum.

Clapton used to be great. I love his Me and Mr Johnson album and dvd. But he hasn't written a single decent new song in about 20 years.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    eekamouseeekamouse Posts: 267
    I get the Simon Cowel and Colplay cracks. But U2? WTF???
    Love is more important to me than faith.
  • Options
    RVM1245RVM1245 Posts: 32
    i got dragged to a coldplay here in DC a few months back...it was brutal...it was the most staged and boring show ever put on...i remember reading a review about their show in Texas a few days before i went and it was the identical show...the reviewer even stated that during the 'clocks' encore, the lead singer did a dead sprint to a speaker in the back of the arena and climbed it to finish the song...just before the it happened at our show i told my gf what he was gonna do, and it happened on cue...we both laughed and beat the traffic out of there...plus the whole time the guitarist and bassist just stood in the same spot like robots...90% of the people in the arena were sitting (which made it even more lame)

wheres the spontaneity? if i wanted to see that kind of staged crap i'd go to a madonna or britney spears concert

long live PJ!
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 177
    I agree with Clapton. I am a big fan of U2 and a modest fan of Coldplay but neither are true rock n roll bands. Coldplay is more of a pop act. U2 could have been something great if bono wasn't on constant mission to save the world and pretend like hes a big shot.
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • Options
    SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Keller wrote:
    I agree with Clapton. I am a big fan of U2 and a modest fan of Coldplay but neither are true rock n roll bands. Coldplay is more of a pop act. U2 could have been something great if bono wasn't on constant mission to save the world and pretend like hes a big shot.

I don't think Clapton has listened to U2, or he wouldn't be saying that. They have MUCH respect for rock n' roll's roots. They've recorded with B.B.. King, Willie Nelson, and they recorded some stuff at Sun Studios. And some of the recent stuff they've done is almost right out of the Memphis Soul music playbook. Anyway, while I think Bono is an real poseur, there is NOTHING wrong with trying to save the world and using the "power" of your celebrity to do so.

And while Clapton has recorded some really limp-wristed, pop shit in the past 15-20 years, I do agree with him on this. I hate almost all of what is currently popular in rock music. A lot of it has no roots, no soul, no sexiness, or originality. That said, he could've picked a better example than U2.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Eric Clapton hits out at Coldplay and U2
    Wednesday, May 17 2006, 14:48 BST - by Fiona Edwards

Eric Clapton disapproves of bands like U2 and Coldplay as they seem
    to put their fame before their music.

The 61-year-old guitar legend told The Times: "Right now, the power
    of music sits with Simon Cowell and Coldplay and U2, who are really
    people who just attend awards shows.

"From just listening I can't tell the difference between Coldplay and
    U2. The one in Coldplay even dances like Bono."

Damn, I've been saying the same thing for about 2 years now. They both fucking suck. Thanks Eric Clapton, for stepping up and saying this. Now maybe more people will realize.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    I can't believe he's even comparing Coldplay and U2 really :eek:
    I mean come on! Coldplay, in my opinion, are boring and I don't like them. However U2 are still a decent rock band.

Really. I mean Coldplay may want to sound like U2 , but it's not like U2 is approving of that or trying to sound like Coldplay.

Must be a deeper story to this...........
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 177
    Sathogwa wrote:
    I hate almost all of what is currently popular in rock music. A lot of it has no roots, no soul, no sexiness, or originality. That said, he could've picked a better example than U2.

I would agree with that statement.

I think what Eric is talking about is complete package. There is not denying U2's muscial talent but bono has such an ego and is so concentrated on making everything he does mainstream. The man reviews videos of his live concerts and picks them apart so that he can have a perfect cookie cutter concert every time he takes the stage. That is not very rock n roll to me.

U2 has turned into more of a pop act than a rock and roll act.
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • Options
    Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    mrwalkerb wrote:

Nope

They rip off U2 so bad...
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Sathogwa wrote:
    I hate almost all of what is currently popular in rock music. A lot of it has no roots, no soul, no sexiness, or originality. That said, he could've picked a better example than U2.

Agreed ... While I have more than my fair share of beefs with U2, there are better examples of flacid rock bands out there. U2 has contributed a lot to the whole legend that is rock music, love them or hate them.
    Coldplay, on the other hand ... That stuff is scarcely better than elevator music.

Good point, maybe not the greatest example.
  • Options
    HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Keller wrote:
    U2 could have been something great if bono wasn't on constant mission to save the world and pretend like hes a big shot.
    I rather prefer Bono's mission to "save the world" more than I do that last POS U2 album.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Clapton's point seems to be that U2 and Coldplay are more concerned with their fame than they are withmaking valid music. I would have to agree with him on that point.

As for Clapton breaking new ground, when you get your own signature strat and Martin acoustic, come talk to us about the ground you've broken. Even into his 60s Clapton is still playing cats half his age under the table. Sure, he hasn't been right since he got off the dope and his son fell out the wndow, but he's remarkably versatile and his body of work speaks for itself.

Listen to his Unplugged performance. He defined that performance concept, and set the bar so high that MTv was hard pressed to find bands that could measure up.

I also agree with him in regard to the majority of music today being like a lot of kids...don't know where they came from, let alone who.
  • Options
    SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Keller wrote:
    I would agree with that statement.

I think what Eric is talking about is complete package. There is not denying U2's muscial talent but bono has such an ego and is so concentrated on making everything he does mainstream. The man reviews videos of his live concerts and picks them apart so that he can have a perfect cookie cutter concert every time he takes the stage. That is not very rock n roll to me.

U2 has turned into more of a pop act than a rock and roll act.

Good point, man.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:
    As for Clapton breaking new ground, when you get your own signature strat and Martin acoustic, come talk to us about the ground you've broken. Even into his 60s Clapton is still playing cats half his age under the table. Sure, he hasn't been right since he got off the dope and his son fell out the wndow, but he's remarkably versatile and his body of work speaks for itself.
    If you think his body of work post 1976 speaks for itself Ok. I sure as fuck am not questioning his guitar playing, the ground he broke in the 60's or his place in music history.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    transplant wrote:
    clapton doesnt need too moron. he laid hes rock icon status 35 years ago.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Amen. Blues music is the ground roots of rock and roll or in todays times a lot this era is refered to as "the classic rock" era. Clapton (I am not saying anyone of the board was dissing him either) definately has enough calateral in the music industry to know what he is talking about: The guy has put together some of the best riffs ever, and he is inducted in the rock and roll hall of fame 3 different times.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    You know back in the day Eric Clapton was the man Jimi Hendrix was in awe of.

Sir Eric hits the nail on the head, back in the day U2 were good but then fame hit bono and his head swelled up, and U2 aint been the same since, as for Coldplay well they're just a lame imitation.

Manufactured: Something designed to replicate something succesfull, with the intent to make money.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    transplant wrote:

I could rant but I won't, I'll keep it simple;
    Yes he has.

PEACE
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    haha, Ive always thought this! They can try but they cannot match the Unforgettable Fire which is a classic. Agree with Claptons comments, U2 have become boring(havent even botherd to hear their last) and are a long way down the slope since the heady days of the aforementioned album through to Zooropa. Tho -All that you cant leave Behind- was one that I liked.
    ..........so may bands seem to replicate other existing music, those that are getting thru are just fucking boring studenty sounding groups. The killers and Radiohead are respectable tho
  • Options
    Binaural wrote:
    I could rant but I won't, I'll keep it simple;
    Yes he has.
    PEACE
    well I wish you would rant. what I have gathered so far is that over the past 30 years he has had an incredible Unplugged performance and Behind the Sun. I am not doubting either of those (because I have neither) nor have I doubted his guitar playing. I have that double live CD 24 Nights and his Robert Johnson cover disc. Though nice listens nothing there in my mind to write home about. His lick and solo on Forever Man are incredible.

What my simple question was, is that did he do anything groundbreaking over the past 30 years (not 35, not 40)? I may now check out all of Behind the Sun. I don't know a single Clapton freak so yeah, rant on.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,381
    Haven't Clapton songs been used to sell beer?
    U2 has not let it songs be used to schill products (the ipod was a cross promotion, different animal).
    This weekend we rock Portland