Options

SMC- Stephen Malkmus- Face the Truth

thebettermanthebetterman Posts: 657
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Stephen Malkmus, most famous for his time spend with Pavement, came out with Face the Truth in 2005. Its a brilliant album that showcases Malkmus' guitar and vocals. I like how he uses his voice as somewhat of an instrument, singing in a quirky fashion on some songs. Echoes is right, Freeze the Saints is an awesome song, and my personal favorite on the album, i also believe its one of the most accessable songs, but beautiful none the less. I hope you enjoy, i was down to chosing this record or the new Built to Spill, but i think i like this one more, and i hope you like it to.
-one thing to remember, always have a good time, all the time
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Fucking rights, great album. "Freeze The Saints" is a great great song. I haven't listened to this in ages, time to throw it on again.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,819
    great album from start to finish, it kills, mama, and no more shoes are my favorite tracks, seen malkmus twice since the album came out and its been great both times, definately my favorite s malk & jick album.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    great album. I started a thread a few weeks ago.

"Freeze the Saints" is one of the best songs ever.

ever.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    great album. I started a thread a few weeks ago.

"Freeze the Saints" is one of the best songs ever.

ever.

yeah i saw your thread, and i cursed it because i had this album in mind from the start of the round, haha.
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I won't be able to grab this until Thursday. though I am not a fan of Pavement or the one Malkmus solo disc I do have, I hope to have a change of heart. It is annoying to dislike music that many really seem to like. this pick will be good for me.
  • Options
    Man you're crazy. I find it kind of boggling that someone could not like Pavement.

Also, the guitar solo on "No More Shoes" is just amazing. Love it so much
  • Options
    aaah what a strange coincidence - i bought this album just this weekend!! i miss pavement but it's great that malkmus is still keeping the tradition going :D
    http://www.myspace.com/cellophanehand
    free your mind... and your ass will follow...
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Stephen Malkmus, most famous for his time spend with Pavement, came out with Face the Truth in 2005. Its a brilliant album that showcases Malkmus' guitar and vocals. I like how he uses his voice as somewhat of an instrument, singing in a quirky fashion on some songs. Echoes is right, Freeze the Saints is an awesome song, and my personal favorite on the album, i also believe its one of the most accessable songs, but beautiful none the less. I hope you enjoy, i was down to chosing this record or the new Built to Spill, but i think i like this one more, and i hope you like it to.

new built to spill? that just came out today didnt it? how was that an option yesterday afternoon for you?

im going to buy that after work today. ive got high hopes. as to pavement and malkmus, i admired them but didnt really enjoy them. they're good, but not really my cup of tea.
  • Options
    new built to spill? that just came out today didnt it? how was that an option yesterday afternoon for you?.

It has been leaked for weeks now
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    It has been leaked for weeks now

yup, and i live down in the sewers with the ninja turtles, all leaks come to me... although for some reason i dont look for PJ leaks, those are sacred for some reason.
  • Options
    just another album that probably wont be very good, but that is a statement for me to stir shit up with on the porch
  • Options
    U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    Sorry, but I found it hard to believe that anyone liked Pavement..from the videos I remember from 120 Minutes...all of it was mindless, droning piss music......then again I am waiting to take some heat for my name.
  • Options
    U2rocks wrote:
    Sorry, but I found it hard to believe that anyone liked Pavement..from the videos I remember from 120 Minutes...all of it was mindless, droning piss music......then again I am waiting to take some heat for my name.

haha, i was all about to say something about your name until i read that last line... cheers to you my friend.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Man you're crazy. I find it kind of boggling that someone could not like Pavement.
    I am not much for the LoFi in general. Every year I shake the dust of 3 CDs. Slanted, Bee Thousand, and Sebadoh III. I have yet to 'get' why these are continuously praised. I have a half dozen other Pavement EP's/LP's and it isn't that I dont' enjoy them but just don't see the big deal. Some year I'll get it.

Downloading now.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    I am not much for the LoFi in general. Every year I shake the dust of 3 CDs. Slanted, Bee Thousand, and Sebadoh III. I have yet to 'get' why these are continuously praised. I have a half dozen other Pavement EP's/LP's and it isn't that I dont' enjoy them but just don't see the big deal. Some year I'll get it.

Downloading now.

bee thousand is one of the greatest records ever made, brother.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    so I hear.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:

Oh man also Isolation Drills is the absolute shit.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Oh man also Isolation Drills is the absolute shit.

I can't tell if this was sarcasm or not...

but I'm gonna have to agree. Of their later records, its probably my favorite.
  • Options
    Got this album, one of my favs last year (though the list was like a hundred...lol)

And glad to see people back in the SMC! Don't mind missing my pick, I have learned that funk doesn't go down well to a rock crowd.;) Hehe, just kiddin'.

Yes, and Malkmus is on top form on this album.
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • Options
    psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    Don't mind missing my pick, I have learned that funk doesn't go down well to a rock crowd.;) Hehe, just kiddin'.

nah, you always bring the funk, brother :D
    i enjoy those picks... i have downloaded the last couple of albums but didn't have the time to give them a fair chance yet...
    it may sound blasphemous to some but i never really got into pavement... i never thought they were all that people made them out to be... but that's mainly personal preference... i liked steven malkmus' solo stuff slightly better so i'm looking forward to this album...

but the main purpose of this post is to apologize to my fellow SMC'ers for not participating much lately... there are multiple reasons... computer-trouble, some stuff in my life i'm not happy with... but the main reason is that the last couple of weeks there has been no 'other music' for me... no other music than pearl jam... and i'm really shocked by this because i usually listen to a lot of different music and it's a big part of my life...
    pearl jam has always been my favourite band but to be honest i didn't listen to them on a daily or even weekly basis... i don't know when was the last time i listened to ten...
    but all that changed... i hope some of you can relate (i think at least barcoach can), because i've only seen pearl jam live once... and that was at a festival, six years ago...
    now i'm going to see them in 7 DAYS at the london astoria and i can't think of anything else... seriously, i can't sleep, i can't eat, people avoid my company because they're sick and tired of hearing pearl jam this and pearl jam that...
    i've got a fever and it's called pearl jam... trying to get tickets was such a nightmare but thanks to one of the most wonderful people i know i'm going to catch a plane to london in a couple of days and see my favourite at a tiny venue... i don't even want to go into how much this means to me with my everyday life being kinda stuck and hopeless at the moment... it will be my chance to forget about all the current shit and i promise i will think of you guys while i'm rocking out to the new tunes played live for the first time ever...

yes, i've listened to the leaks and i think the self-titled album will be fucking spectacular...
    what do you guys think, we should make a special edition SMC thread on may 2nd to review the new album (and "try" to be as objective and un-biased as possible - unlike the millions of other threads that will flood the porch for sure)...

*rant over*
    sorry, i just had to get this off my chest :)
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Options
    psycosmic wrote:
    it may sound blasphemous to some but i never really got into pavement... i never thought they were all that people made them out to be... but that's mainly personal preference...
    doesn't sound blasphemous to me.
    psycosmic wrote:
    what do you guys think, we should make a special edition SMC thread on may 2nd to review the new album (and "try" to be as objective and un-biased as possible - unlike the millions of other threads that will flood the porch for sure)...
    yes, yes, and yes. It is strange after all these SMC picks I really don't know how any of you feel about PJ really, I mean I am sometimes surprised we all stick around on this board with the 'other' tunes we seem to listen to more often, I know I haven't listened to PJ in months.

Have a great time at your show, I just picked up the Petty/PJ tix.
  • Options
    Ok, so needless to say, I wasn't exactly looking forward to this pick. I feel like I have given Pavement more than the benefit of the doubt and I have Pig Lib so I felt in my mind justified.

So Pencil Rot didn't start well for me. I think malkmus is vocally lazy at times. He sounds disinterested. At times I think he has too much backround crap going on also. I might enjoy him more if he took more of a minimalists approach. I do like is attitude towards the guitar though.

So I started skipping around the CD, I haven't given it a straight start to finish yet. There are some songs here that I fell for hard on one listen. Specifically Freeze the Saints, Mama, Baby C'Mon and Malediction. So with this in mind, I am going to break Pig Lib back out. This pick makes me wonder if I really gave that CD a shot.

And off on my typical tangent, I love having a ton of CD's. I don't know how great that is though if I haven't given some of them the chance they deserve. I am considering slowing down a bit, catch up with what I have before I feel the need to check out that next must have CD. Of course as many of you probably feel, it is almost an addiction and it may be pointless to try to slow down.

I am glad I gave Face the Truth a listen.
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I can't tell if this was sarcasm or not...

but I'm gonna have to agree. Of their later records, its probably my favorite.

No sarcasm, GREAT record.
  • Options
    I think I get this SMC stuff....is it like too late to join or anything?

I've got a few records I could upload....the new loose fur, built to spill, the new pollard record.....if anyones interested let me know.

where do you guys upload them...yousendit?
  • Options
    Soooo...........

Has this SMC thing run its course? Do we need to ditch this idea, change it, wait for all the Tool threads to slow down, just take a break?

thoughts?

I am in to the end however the past couple weeks have been uh........
  • Options
    Stone - basically we upload albums to yousendit on a communal Gmail account and do our best to discuss them. It has tapered a little, but I'll do my best to keep them going. Whoever was supposed to go after thebetterman kind of dropped the ball by the looks of it, since it is usually one album per week
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Whoever was supposed to go after thebetterman kind of dropped the ball by the looks of it, since it is usually one album per week
    actually I dropped it slightly. I usually notify the next person in line, sometimes I just wait an extra day or so if a particular thread didn't get a lot of action.

StoneG82 is on board.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    transplant wrote:
    actually I dropped it slightly. I usually notify the next person in line, sometimes I just wait an extra day or so if a particular thread didn't get a lot of action.

StoneG82 is on board.

On board of what?
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    awesomeness.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Echoes wrote:
    awesomeness.

I love awesomeness, but I just saw what you needed to to to join this little club of elit. I'm sorry that I'll be standing on the side line when all this awesomeness takes place.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»