Damien Rice

2»

Comments

• Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    audiodave wrote:
    Same as. I love his music, but seeing him live gave me so much more respect for him as a performer, and as a person. He interacts with the crowd so much, and as you said, is very witty. I loved his stories, and the fact that he mocks himself for the fact that everyone thinks his music is depressing.

Yeah, completely.

I have a much deeper admiration for him now, '9' is probably one if my all time favourite albums. I know im in a bit of a minority but I prefer it to 'o', just lol.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Yeah, completely.

I have a much deeper admiration for him now, '9' is probably one if my all time favourite albums. I know im in a bit of a minority but I prefer it to 'o', just lol.
    I LOVE both 9 and O, but I think I prefer O purely for the fact that it has I Remember on it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    jamie uk wrote:
    He told a great story about Me my yoke...in Cardiff last year. He can be so funny, he was saying that somewhere in Monaco, a little boy got a million pounds on his 13th birthday, then another million, then,...etc. And around the same time, a poor kid in Dublin (him) got a million sperms, then another million..etc...and it screwed his brain up what was happening to him. So, yeah it's about his 'wee willy' I suppose.
    The live set is just incredible, that band make such an awe inspiring noise.
    he told the same story at Wembley..

I'm not that keen on 9, much preferred O.. so I was going to pass on seeing him..then Pippa said she found a couple of very good tickets at the last minute..so I went..

it was really good, much more energy than I expected (I feared it was going to be really slow and subdued, which is fine in a small venue..not Wembley), great performer, very chatty (I like that).
    definitely will go back next time he's around.

now that's funny that we've all seen him in different places: Nothingham, Birmingham, Cardiff, London.. :D
  • audiodave wrote:
    Same as. I love his music, but seeing him live gave me so much more respect for him as a performer, and as a person. He interacts with the crowd so much, and as you said, is very witty. I loved his stories, and the fact that he mocks himself for the fact that everyone thinks his music is depressing.

I never really understood why he's thought of as depressing any more than anyone else, tbh.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I never really understood why he's thought of as depressing any more than anyone else, tbh.

Me neither, but that's an excuse that people who aren't fans of his music seem to use alot.

Personally, music on it's own doesn't depress me. If i'm already depressed, then listening to sombre music probably isn't a GREAT idea, but if i'm in a good mood or just normal, then listening to a particular piece of music isn't going to make me break down and weep just because it's depressing.

I was just listening to Damien Rice on the way to and from uni, and I Remember isn't a particularly happy song, but if anything, it made me happy, because I love the song, no matter what the sentiment behind it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    he rocks

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    I Remember is such a euphoric song! i first heard him on phantom when they used to play The Professor over and over again in ...maybe 1999/2000? it was really random cos they played this one outstanding song all the time and the day his first album came out i had to get it ....and the professor wasnt even on it!! :)

of course then i had to go see him live.....and then i was hooked.
    did he do the "bar scene" drinking thing during Cheers Darlin in the autumn shows?
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Hmmm.... I'm interested. Never heard any of his stuff though. Where should I start, do you think?
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    DOSW wrote:
    Hmmm.... I'm interested. Never heard any of his stuff though. Where should I start, do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThuXEDvCZk

good a place as any..:)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Pegasus wrote:

now that's funny that we've all seen him in different places: Nothingham, Birmingham, Cardiff, London.. :D

...Bristol, Wolverhampton :)
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    audiodave wrote:

if it weren't i for one would not listen to him. who the fuck wants to listen to someone rabbit on about how in love and happy they are? not me. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say