Damien Rice

ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Anybody here a fan? His music has really connected w/ me probably in the last month or so.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Yes, you are in good company, a lot of us love him. What you heard so far?
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I've got O, 9, and Live at Fingerprints.

Good stuff
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Me!
    :)
    He is awesome.
    An awesome friend introduced me to his music.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
    I've got O, 9, and Live at Fingerprints.

Good stuff

That's pretty much everything, there is a B sides album, and Live at Union Chapel. But you have the main stuff. How awesome is 9? It creeps into your veins, 18 months on and it still sounds better everytime I listen to it.
    I introduced this really cool girlie to his music, she's also hooked.
    jamie uk wrote:
    That's pretty much everything, there is a B sides album, and Live at Union Chapel. But you have the main stuff. How awesome is 9? It creeps into your veins, 18 months on and it still sounds better everytime I listen to it.
    I introduced this really cool girlie to his music, she's also hooked.

It took me a long time to settle in my brain. I was turned on to him by 9 Crimes. Gave the album a couple of listens and thought it was good, but didn't really stand out.

One day I had my player on shuffle and "Rootless Tree" came on. I all of a sudden found myself driving much faster and just really feeling the song. There's a good way to use the word "fuck" ("Rootless Tree" and "Save You") then there's cheap ways that make it lose it's feeling (any rap song).

That set it all off.

"Me, My Yoke, and I" is amazing.
    It took me a long time to settle in my brain. I was turned on to him by 9 Crimes. Gave the album a couple of listens and thought it was good, but didn't really stand out.

One day I had my player on shuffle and "Rootless Tree" came on. I all of a sudden found myself driving much faster and just really feeling the song. There's a good way to use the word "fuck" ("Rootless Tree" and "Save You") then there's cheap ways that make it lose it's feeling (any rap song).

That set it all off.

"Me, My Yoke, and I" is amazing.
    Damien kills it on Rootless Tree!

Me, My Yoke and I is about his wee willy. :p
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Damien kills it on Rootless Tree!

Ha! Seriously?
    Ha! Seriously?
    :o That is what I have read..
    It makes sense if you read the lyrics and listen to it. I guess he has explained it at shows.
  • AllIAmAllIAm Posts: 1,309
    mmm what a guy.. i find im really really really emotionally attached to some of his songs. its just that way.. you either feel it completely.. or not at all.. unfortunately i think you have to go through something not so much fun to feel that.

the first time i ever heard him i was watching closer.. and blowers daughter came on. and i cried.

and then slowly but surely his songs started making the wheels spin

my favorite damien moment though was i saw him up in boston last july. the show was outside and it POURED. like to the point where you couldnt even see anything. they had a huge tent but they turned all the lights off just in case. it was right in the middle of the set that it started to get bad so they cut him off. we waited for a little while and all of a sudden he starts to sing "hallelujah". and it was so quiet and so heartfelt underneat that rain soaked tent. we all sang it with him... truly a moving experience...

im really into grey room right now...
    I was just looking on Wikipedia and it says there's a pregap track of a demo to "9 Crimes" with just him singing it. Anyone have that?
    AllIAm wrote:
    mmm what a guy.. i find im really really really emotionally attached to some of his songs. its just that way.. you either feel it completely.. or not at all.. unfortunately i think you have to go through something not so much fun to feel that.

the first time i ever heard him i was watching closer.. and blowers daughter came on. and i cried.

my favorite damien moment though was i saw him up in boston last july. the show was outside and it POURED. like to the point where you couldnt even see anything. they had a huge tent but they turned all the lights off just in case. it was right in the middle of the set that it started to get bad so they cut him off. we waited for a little while and all of a sudden he starts to sing "hallelujah". and it was so quiet and so heartfelt underneat that rain soaked tent. we all sang it with him... truly a moving experience...

Like Jeff Buckley "Hallelujah"?

Just heard it on youtube...that's fantastic. There should be a studio version of this.
    AllIAm wrote:

Hey Suz...I love Grey Room...you ok, I hope?
    I agree...you have to have had something crappy happened in order to really appreciate him...or something really good disguised as bad, or at the very least, ill-timed.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Hey Suz...I love Grey Room...you ok, I hope?
    I agree...you have to have had something crappy happened in order to really appreciate him...or something really good disguised as bad, or at the very least, ill-timed.

hi! ya im good. how bout you?

yea he's a really sad singer.. i mean how can you listen to 9 crimes or volcano without a little sadness in your heart.

and yes i mean that hallelujah.. imagine rain pouring down, no lights, just a mic.. and him singing that song. brought tears to my eyes

i think of closer as a comparison to his music, its really happy at times, really lovey, really fucking depressing.. but all in all really really true.

and how could lisa go? sniffle.. she was amazing...

did anyone hear the duet with ray lamontagne? to love somebody? oh yes
  • I love Damien Rice! I saw him live back in October and he was fantastic. He sang the last song without a microphone and it still sounded awesome!

9 Crimes is my favourite song, it's just beautiful.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

TrixieCat wrote:
    :o That is what I have read..
    It makes sense if you read the lyrics and listen to it. I guess he has explained it at shows.

He told a great story about Me my yoke...in Cardiff last year. He can be so funny, he was saying that somewhere in Monaco, a little boy got a million pounds on his 13th birthday, then another million, then,...etc. And around the same time, a poor kid in Dublin (him) got a million sperms, then another million..etc...and it screwed his brain up what was happening to him. So, yeah it's about his 'wee willy' I suppose.
    The live set is just incredible, that band make such an awe inspiring noise.
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    TrixieCat wrote:

Maybe this is why I discovered him... recommended by a friend in fact.
    I know his music speaks to me on many levels at the moment.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=uwdWoCloRyo

Here you can get a taste of Damiens yoke for yourselves....
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Saw him live in november....AMAZING gig.....

'9' is better than 'o'......but both are outstanding......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    TrixieCat wrote:

he wrote a song about me!!! what a sweetie pie

for the record.. i love Mr Rice... his songs make my glands weep.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I love Damien Rice, but it annoys me the way he gets thrown into a pile with all the other singer-songwriters (most of whom are awful).

He is absolutely amazing live. I really want to see him again.

I wouldn't agree that you HAVE to have had something bad happen to you to get his music, just maybe not live every second of your life in complete and utter bliss. I think most people can relate to being unhappy without having something awful happen to them.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Damien Rice has one of the greatest voices i have ever heard, and lisa hannigan is just amazing.
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
    Damien Rice has one of the greatest voices i have ever heard, and lisa hannigan is just amazing.

yes.. and she's sadly gone! that really threw a knife in my heart. i had tickets to go see him and then i heard she was done and i almost cried. the show was still excellent.. but it missed something
    audiodave wrote:
    I love Damien Rice, but it annoys me the way he gets thrown into a pile with all the other singer-songwriters (most of whom are awful).

He is absolutely amazing live. I really want to see him again.

I wouldn't agree that you HAVE to have had something bad happen to you to get his music, just maybe not live every second of your life in complete and utter bliss. I think most people can relate to being unhappy without having something awful happen to them.

Dave, you know apart from the brainy thing, me and you are peas in a pod. My wanker mate in work goes..."err Damien Rice...James Blunt...." I tell you, if he wasn't a trained killer, I'd have him for it.
    And you're right, you don't have to have had something awful happen to relate, just lived a bit. Most of his songs are 'boy meets girl' stuff, he just has this understanding that 'boy meets girl' isn't always as straight forward as it's made out...the guy is a genius.
  • He did a microphone free version of Cannonball when I saw him live this summer that was breathtaking. See him live.
    He did a microphone free version of Cannonball when I saw him live this summer that was breathtaking. See him live.

I saw that, he did that at nottingham arena.

it was such a stunning gig.....he is truly in a class of his own, and his band are incredible.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
    He did a microphone free version of Cannonball when I saw him live this summer that was breathtaking. See him live.
    Same. Except some moron decided to belt it out as well about halfway through the song. Completely ruined it.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

audiodave wrote:
    Same. Except some moron decided to belt it out as well about halfway through the song. Completely ruined it.

Where'd you see damien?

I was at Nottingham Arena in october.....
    Where'd you see damien?

I was at Nottingham Arena in october.....
    The NIA in Birmingham. It was such a contrast to the usual type of gigs i've been to. All seating, and everyone was quiet and respectfull, as opposed to pushing and screaming.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

audiodave wrote:
    The NIA in Birmingham. It was such a contrast to the usual type of gigs i've been to. All seating, and everyone was quiet and respectfull, as opposed to pushing and screaming.

Yeah, same in nottingham.....was nice to be able to a gig and actually listen to the music lol.

I just saw a completely different side to him that night, the heavier side and also the warm wit and humour.
    Yeah, same in nottingham.....was nice to be able to a gig and actually listen to the music lol.

I just saw a completely different side to him that night, the heavier side and also the warm wit and humour.
    Same as. I love his music, but seeing him live gave me so much more respect for him as a performer, and as a person. He interacts with the crowd so much, and as you said, is very witty. I loved his stories, and the fact that he mocks himself for the fact that everyone thinks his music is depressing.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~